PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning

KOdawg1
10-22-2019, 04:12 PM
I know it's been discussed on here before, but why don't we at least make an offer to Aaron Feld to replace the dude we have now as S&C coach. He's currently tearing it up at Oregon right now, and while they do have some of the best facilities in CFB, he might consider coming home to his alma mater and where he played. He makes $310,000, so it would probably take a good bit to get him to come back, but other than your head coach, the strength coach is the most important coach to your program.

I'd be open to other names as well, but it's obvious we need a change in this area

Todd4State
10-22-2019, 04:20 PM
What are we paying the current guy?

Whoever we have S&C is not a position to go cheap on.

Coursesuper
10-22-2019, 04:22 PM
I know it's been discussed on here before, but why don't we at least make an offer to Aaron Feld to replace the dude we have now as S&C coach. He's currently tearing it up at Oregon right now, and while they do have some of the best facilities in CFB, he might consider coming home to his alma mater and where he played. He makes $310,000, so it would probably take a good bit to get him to come back, but other than your head coach, the strength coach is the most important coach to your program.

I'd be open to other names as well, but it's obvious we need a change in this area

Let's see, if it were my career and I could live in The Pacifist Northwest and have the some of the best facilities in all of college football, I'd still love my school but I'd have to stay with the swoosh as long as I could.

Homedawg
10-22-2019, 04:22 PM
I'm not saying this guy is super. However, even s/c coach's are at the mercy of their leader. Take whatever you want from that.

Todd4State
10-22-2019, 04:24 PM
I'm not saying this guy is super. However, even s/c coach's are at the mercy of their leader. Take whatever you want from that.

Is Moorhead letting guys skip workouts or something?

TrapGame
10-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Players' coach.**

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2019, 04:42 PM

Yeah, it's called eliminating the south farm training camp.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2019, 04:45 PM
No coaches worth a crap are coming to work for Moorhead. His most of his friends already jumped ship. Coaches don’t want to work on sinking ships.

Bass Chaser
10-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Is it true that Cohen made the SC coach hire?

DogsofAnarchy
10-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Wasn’t the guy we hired an assistant when he got his first big job and it was us? If so, why does MSU have to be the training ground for coaches? I’m absolutely convinced we could have gone out an gotten someone with verified experience.

MetEdDawg
10-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Wasn?t the guy we hired an assistant when he got his first big job and it was us? If so, why does MSU have to be the training ground for coaches? I?m absolutely convinced we could have gone out an gotten someone with verified experience.

We are the training ground because the head football coach at a few universities makes more than our entire on field staff combined.

Moorhead is an issue right now for sure. But until we start paying all football coaches at a reasonable level you can forget us being anything but a developmental coaching university anytime soon in football.

TheLostDawg
10-22-2019, 05:22 PM
We are the training ground because the head football coach at a few universities makes more than our entire on field staff combined.

Moorhead is an issue right now for sure. But until we start paying all football coaches at a reasonable level you can forget us being anything but a developmental coaching university anytime soon in football.

This. Also y'all say everyone abandoned ship. That's not exactly fair. Half the guys left for Alabama. The others left to go pro because they hated the recruiting aspect. That being said everything else is right. We continue year in and out to be the S&C place to poach. Seems everyone that comes gets a better job. It's been okay until now when we finally got a dud. We need to pay these guys or we'll continue to be a stepping stone. The one thing Mullen taught us that I don't think anyone will argue with is you have to spend money to make money. Those who don't see this, well they are just blind.

hacker
10-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Wasn’t the guy we hired an assistant when he got his first big job and it was us? If so, why does MSU have to be the training ground for coaches? I’m absolutely convinced we could have gone out an gotten someone with verified experience.

Pretty sure he worked here under Piroli and we promoted from within when Piroli left.

Bass Chaser
10-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Our current S/C coach was at Arkansas as an assistant for like 5 years. Joined Piroli's staff. We promoted no different than when we promoted Savage under Mullen.

KOdawg1
10-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Our current S/C coach was at Arkansas as an assistant for like 5 years. Joined Piroli's staff. We promoted no different than when we promoted Savage under Mullen.

Except when we promoted Savage, our S&C'ing continued to be good. I've never really had a complaint about it until this year. We've got a bunch of fat, slow, and soft dudes on our team right now, and that's absolutely unacceptable for an SEC West program.

Idc who we hire next, but it needs to be someone who has experience, has posted good results, and we better not go the cheap route. But then again, I guess it doesn't matter who we hire as long as Joe is our coach, bc they're going to continue to be soft. Teams take the personality of their coach.

Todd4State
10-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Except when we promoted Savage, our S&C'ing continued to be good. I've never really had a complaint about it until this year. We've got a bunch of fat, slow, and soft dudes on our team right now, and that's absolutely unacceptable for an SEC West program.

Idc who we hire next, but it needs to be someone who has experience, has posted good results, and we better not go the cheap route. But then again, I guess it doesn't matter who we hire as long as Joe is our coach, bc they're going to continue to be soft. Teams take the personality of their coach.

Two ways to fix that.

1. Fire both of them.

2. Send both of them to New Jersey.

timotheus
10-22-2019, 07:06 PM
U can bet that he is doing exactly what JoMO thinks is best......

Ari Gold
10-22-2019, 07:10 PM

And at Miss State our football program is at the mercy of our compliance department..

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2019, 11:48 PM

S&C coach is the most important. He spends more time with the players than any other coach on staff due to NCAA regulations about when coaches can be around players. He's the one who develops the toughness & physicality within the program.

I didn't realize Feld was a S&C coach. Doubt we could poach him from Oregon. Phil Knight & Nike will always cut a bigger check to keep someone who's good.

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2019, 11:53 PM
This. Also y'all say everyone abandoned ship. That's not exactly fair. Half the guys left for Alabama. The others left to go pro because they hated the recruiting aspect. That being said everything else is right. We continue year in and out to be the S&C place to poach. Seems everyone that comes gets a better job. It's been okay until now when we finally got a dud. We need to pay these guys or we'll continue to be a stepping stone. The one thing Mullen taught us that I don't think anyone will argue with is you have to spend money to make money. Those who don't see this, well they are just blind.

Spin it how you want, but it was easy to see that it was rats jumping off the sinking ship while they could. Every coach who left were the ones who I'd have told you I thought were worth a damn from our staff. Huff, Hud, etc. were the only coaches I felt good about. Those jobs didn't just fall in their laps, they went out and found them because they were good enough coaches to know that Jughead was heading for the iceberg and they needed to be off the ship when he collided with it.

Scared_Hitless
10-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Truth of the matter, our original staff that came with JoMo was 10x what we have now. Whether they saw what was coming or genuinely felt they were taking career moves we will never know.

Piroli was the real deal, we looked better physically last season than ever. Even under Mullen, guys looked lean and fast. Now we look fat and slow. Main examples are the Oline and Errol.

Baker, Huff, and Lekuba were huge losses we have regressed in all three position groups without their guidance. They were all replaced with recruiters, which at MState is not the answer as we will never outrecruit coaching like some other schools do. Only upgrade we made was at WR coach, at minimum Joe needs to do a real evaluation at end of season and cut bait with some assistants. Also Breiner sucks our QBs are not improving at the rate they should. KT had two years to be ready that is on coaching kid had talent coming out of HS.

Tbonewannabe
10-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Truth of the matter, our original staff that came with JoMo was 10x what we have now. Whether they saw what was coming or genuinely felt they were taking career moves we will never know.

Piroli was the real deal, we looked better physically last season than ever. Even under Mullen, guys looked lean and fast. Now we look fat and slow. Main examples are the Oline and Errol.

Baker, Huff, and Lekuba were huge losses we have regressed in all three position groups without their guidance. They were all replaced with recruiters, which at MState is not the answer as we will never outrecruit coaching like some other schools do. Only upgrade we made was at WR coach, at minimum Joe needs to do a real evaluation at end of season and cut bait with some assistants. Also Breiner sucks our QBs are not improving at the rate they should. KT had two years to be ready that is on coaching kid had talent coming out of HS.

Special Teams - needs to be improved - I honestly am back to the hold my breath anytime they have to catch the ball and that now includes kickoffs

S&C - needs to be improved. Worst our team has looked in a long time.

Dline - Needs to be improved. He might get a pass if it was just DT since they are young but DEs look like they haven't improved either.
LB - Needs to be improved.
Secondary - looks to be the only position that hasn't regressed. We have taken a step back at Safety but that was bound to happen losing a 1st round guy that made the defense nasty on the back end.

Oline - Needs to be improved. We look like we have either regressed or there is just general confusion running this offense.
TEs - Look good the 1-2 passes they catch per game.
RBs - I haven't noticed any regression. Hill couldn't pass block last year so no change there. Biggest issue in the run game is the Oline.
QBs - Needs to be improved. I am not sure how much Breiner is involved getting improvement out of Shrader but he had a 4 star QB with experience that he couldn't get anything out of with KT. I am not sure where the blame falls but some of it probably should be on the QB coach.

WR - the only group I can say that actually is improved from last year.

Not sure where you take a high level recruiter and someone not as good at on the field coaching and the opposite. Mullen had Hev who was a crap recruiter but a damn good Oline coach. Baker was a great Dline coach and seemed to be a decent recruiter. I am not sure where Moorhead sits on these issues. Is a coaches job #1 recruiting and #2 on field coaching or does he weigh them the same?

Bottom line is no matter what happens, there needs to be improvement next year. We have definitely regressed from the program Mullen built.