PDA

View Full Version : How Mullen should prepare the rest of the season......

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the 2nd thread I've started today just wanted to put my thoughts out there. King Jackie always said your team has 4, maybe 5 games per year when they were emotionally 'up'. Those games are where upsets happen. In the other 7-8 games, you have to rely on talent to get you through. Unfortunately for us, the games where I feel we came out 'up' (Oklahoma State, Auburn somewhat and LSU), we had something happen to derail us. Whether it was Russell going down, our kicker ****ing it up, or just a big play....it kills momentum. And it's hard to achieve this 'up' feeling on the road, but it happens. I'm hoping it happens Saturday.

If I'm Mullen, I'm gunning for the South Carolina, Alabama and Ole Miss games. You know you can't get the team up for all of them, and typically you can't do it 2 weekends in a row. The 3 I mentioned have weeks in between them for 'down' games. Theoretically we should beat Arkansas, they are woefully bad and down on talent/depth. And honestly, I don't see any way we beat Manziel out there. Just not happening. So let's just take that beating like men and then take care of business at Arkansas. That gives us 3 games to concentrate on, hopefully pull an upset in the 1st two, and salvage the season.

Given this, and the fact that Mullen has managed to do this his whole career at MSU (likely why we haven't lost to a lesser team yet while getting beat soundly by the heavyweights), I'm expecting to beat either South Carolina or Alabama. We've been 'down' for a number of weeks now vs. Bowling Green AND Kentucky. Call me crazy, I don't give a shit. And we'll beat Ole Miss, guaranteed.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Mullen can't afford to not have the team up for all games. No excuses. If he loses to this crappy Arkansas team, he may fired on that alone.

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Mullen can't afford to not have the team up for all games. No excuses. If he loses to this crappy Arkansas team, he may fired on that alone.

Reread my post slick. It's not physically possible. I think that's where many non-football players go wrong. They don't truly understand how the emotion works and don't quite 'get' what the grind of a season is all about. They expect this awesome level of play every single game and it just doesn't happen. Alabama can't even do it. Fortunately for them they have superior athletes to weather those games.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Nobody has their team up for every game- it's not possible. That's why you see Alabama beating Colorado St 17-0 at half but beat a better team in Tenn 35-0 at half. The players dont get mentally ready to play Colorado St- but their ass is sky high for Tenn

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Sounds great if possible.

blacklistedbully
10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I do not get why some think aTm is unbeatable. Yes, Manziel is a problem for pretty much every team they play, bu their defense looks really bad. If we actually play up to our potential, we should be able to score often on them as well, possibly making the winner the one who can come up with that key t/o or make that 1 extra stop defensively.

I think we are better defensively than aTm, so why shouldn't it be very plausible that we could pull that upset? Manziel is going to break some huge plays, no doubt, but I also think it's very likely he'll feel some pressure and force a mistake, as he has done before. If Ole Miss can play them tight, we sure as hell should be able to.

hacker
10-27-2013, 05:12 PM
We were up for Troy, too