PDA

View Full Version : Dear Cohenz, Next Time You Hire a Coach, Look for this Trait....

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Ignore the name of this coach & everything you know about him. Just appreciate the coaching style while his team is up 24-0 in the 2nd quarter.

I'm not sure if this exemplifies a Type A personality, control freak personality, attention to detail, passion, or all of the above, but next time we hire a coach, find someone that does this. Find someone that doesn't accept anything less than perfection.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the trait that is shown in this video, but it's vitally important. Find someone that does this....

gtowndawg
10-22-2019, 08:27 AM
I saw that last night. And if you watched, the whole defense surrounded him in a circle and listened as if their life depended on it. He's in rare air for sure.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2019, 08:29 AM
I saw that last night. And if you watched, the whole defense surrounded him in a circle and listened as if their life depended on it. He's in rare air for sure.

No doubt. I'm not saying that there is another Belichick out there, but there has to be numerous coaches that have this quality however you describe it. Find it

Saban has this quality. Pete Carrol has this quality. Surprisingly, I think Malzahn has this quality. To me, it's a quality that shows that the coach is "ALL IN" on his team being the best it can be. It shows a level of approachability

Doggie_Style
10-22-2019, 08:48 AM
No doubt. I'm not saying that there is another Belichick out there, but there has to be numerous coaches that have this quality however you describe it. Find it

Saban has this quality. Pete Carrol has this quality. Surprisingly, I think Malzahn has this quality. To me, it's a quality that shows that the coach is "ALL IN" on his team being the best it can be. It shows a level of approachability

Are you saying that the 'Wooden Indian' look on the sidelines doesn't inspire? LOL

DanDority
10-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Are you saying that the 'Wooden Indian' look on the sidelines doesn't inspire? LOL

Poor ole Kaw-Liga!

RiverCityDawg
10-22-2019, 10:46 AM

It's not even that. Belichick can be that way on the sidelines sometimes too. It's the whole idea that details and doing the small things all the time matter. Not just saying it, but actually approaching the game that way. Hell, Cohen was that way as a coach. Vic Shaffer is that way... Skull drag a team 100-60 and Be pissed off afterwards that we gave up 60 points. It seems over the top on the surface but if you don't have that perfectionist mentality as a coach doing things "good enough" will permeate the culture and before you know it you can't do anything good enough to win.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Didn't he have a pretty rough start to his head coaching career?

dantheman4248
10-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Didn't he have a pretty rough start to his head coaching career?

That’s called Cleveland.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Y'all may think I'm crazy, or just kidding, but I'm not. RiverCityDawg alluded to Vic above and reminded me of a conversation a buddy and I had one time. Remember when Cohen said that Stricklin used to let him sit in on head coaching interviews, etc.? If I were Cohen, I'd let Vic sit in on interviews and get his opinion of the candidates. I would bet that Vic could pick out this trait that y'all are talking about better than Cohen could.

Not that I want this to happen or suggesting it, but to me, I think Vic would make a better AD than Cohen if we HAD to move a coach to the AD position.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2019, 11:30 AM
I've been a longtime Pats fan. Bill never stops coaching, ever. The pats were missing 2 starting ol, 2 fullbacks, playing 2 new tes that they just signed last week cause the 2 starters got hurt, josh Gordon out and they won 33-0. The man missing nothing. As the nfl officiating analyst said last night he dominates with details and he gets everyone to buy in. I know a lot of folks don't like him but read his books and watch the docs about him. He's the best for a reason.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Y'all may think I'm crazy, or just kidding, but I'm not. RiverCityDawg alluded to Vic above and reminded me of a conversation a buddy and I had one time. Remember when Cohen said that Stricklin used to let him sit in on head coaching interviews, etc.? If I were Cohen, I'd let Vic sit in on interviews and get his opinion of the candidates. I would bet that Vic could pick out this trait that y'all are talking about better than Cohen could.

Not that I want this to happen or suggesting it, but to me, I think Vic would make a better AD than Cohen if we HAD to move a coach to the AD position.

I've mentioned this before but the problem would be the time of year in which we'd be looking for a new coach. Hard to ask this of Vic In season

Commercecomet24
Here's one story about bill from A couple season ago. They were playing an afternoon game and on the Saturday before the game he got an asst go out and watch how the sun was hitting the field for the 3.5 hours the game would be played. He chose which goal line they would defend at the coin flip so the other team would be going into the sun in the 4 th quarter. Sure enough critical drive late and the wr loses the ball in the sun the pats get a int and ice the game. It sounds crazy but he doesn't miss anything and those little things add up to big things! Heck he was worried about how them closing the dome during the beginning of the super bowl last year would effect the kickoff cause of the wind difference.

ShotgunDawg
It's not even that. Belichick can be that way on the sidelines sometimes too. It's the whole idea that details and doing the small things all the time matter. Not just saying it, but actually approaching the game that way. Hell, Cohen was that way as a coach. Vic Shaffer is that way... Skull drag a team 100-60 and Be pissed off afterwards that we gave up 60 points. It seems over the top on the surface but if you don't have that perfectionist mentality as a coach doing things "good enough" will permeate the culture and before you know it you can't do anything good enough to win.

This. Outstanding post. Said it better than me.

smootness
10-22-2019, 11:45 AM
The way to describe it is pretty easy - successful coaches basically all have high attention to detail and high standards that they hold players accountable to, at all times.

That's pretty much the lone trait that goes across the board for all highly successful coaches.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2019, 11:48 AM
The way to describe it is pretty easy - successful coaches basically all have high attention to detail and high standards that they hold players accountable to, at all times.

That's pretty much the lone trait that goes across the board for all highly successful coaches.

This. Lombardi, Wooden, Walsh, Belichik, Saban etc all the same attention to minute details

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2019, 12:59 PM
That’s called Cleveland.

Yep x2

state66
10-22-2019, 01:04 PM
I remember Mullen one time went into the Offensive Line huddle after a possession and started coaching on the whiteboard. I miss that guy.

shoeless joe
10-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Already mentioned but Vic Schaefer is that guy as well. Mullen was that guy. Cohen was that guy.

Typically those coaches are considered ass holes because players and fans let the scoreboard dictate their level of focus. Whereas these coaches do not. It’s the whole process over outcome thought process. It is THE standard for sustained, consistent, long term success.

trojandawg
10-22-2019, 02:12 PM
i watched something last night on SEC network and it was talking about Meyer and they way he works that he is a perfectionist and works tirelessly until it's done right and those around him are doing everything to perfection. he demands it. now some off the field stuff obviously wasn't to perfection, but those should be the things you are looking for. I think Dan picked up a lot of that except in recruiting with the way he handled his players. he was always demanding their best effort and performance. that's what we should be looking for in a coach is someone who demands perfection.

StarkVegasSteve
10-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Already mentioned but Vic Schaefer is that guy as well. Mullen was that guy. Cohen was that guy.

Typically those coaches are considered ass holes because players and fans let the scoreboard dictate their level of focus. Whereas these coaches do not. It’s the whole process over outcome thought process. It is THE standard for sustained, consistent, long term success.

They're just competitors. They don't care how they beat you or if their system is the one that beats you or if it's something they picked up on. WINNING is the most important thing. Accolades, achievements, or any notoriety is secondary because they know that will come if the wins come.

Right now our coach cares more about the system and his way of doing things than WINNING. It's that simple. I spent the better part of 16 months trying to defend Joe and the system, but at a certain point I realized that he doesn't have to abandon the system, you just have to tailor it to what talent you can bring to Mississippi State. We aren't getting a Saquon Barkley to come to Mississippi St. We're not going to have game breaker 5 star receivers year in and year out. You've got to tailor to what you have and it's why Dan's offensve philosophy in 14 and 15 is so impressive the more and more you look at it. Our offensive scheme was a 180 from 14 to 15 because of what Dak was able to do as a passer and the development of what we had at WR.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-22-2019, 02:59 PM
I've mentioned this before but the problem would be the time of year in which we'd be looking for a new coach. Hard to ask this of Vic In season

Good point. didn't think about the time of year.

trojandawg
10-22-2019, 03:07 PM
yes you have to be able to adapt and win games. that was one thing i kept arguing with poster about that we didn't hire someone to run a system. we hired them to win games however they could. We hired an offensive guy because Cohen thought an offensive guy could tailor a system to whoever we had every year and score points with whatever we have, but it turns out Jo just appears to know how to run his plays and his system and not run a whole program not matter what. Joe just doesn't strike me as the competitor type. like the guy who wants to win and be perfect in every aspect of the game. he has come across as being way too laid back and nonchalant.

MedDawg
10-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Ignore the name of this coach & everything you know about him. Just appreciate the coaching style while his team is up 24-0 in the 2nd quarter.

I'm not sure if this exemplifies a Type A personality, control freak personality, attention to detail, passion, or all of the above, but next time we hire a coach, find someone that does this. Find someone that doesn't accept anything less than perfection.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the trait that is shown in this video, but it's vitally important. Find someone that does this....

Vic Schaefer is like that. 30 point lead in the fourth quarter and he's still on the women if they make lazy mistakes.

timotheus
10-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Belichick is best a detecting tendencies as it relates to down and distance etc. They completely took away the routes that the Jets made look so easy the week before against Dallas. Joe has some very predictable offensive tendencies that most SEC caliber D coordinators have pretty much figured out. I sat with a high school coach in Knoxville and he basically did a play by play during the MSU "check with me" offense. If a high school coach can explain it on the fly like that then JoMo have a very large problem.

KB21
10-22-2019, 05:45 PM
I've been a longtime Pats fan. Bill never stops coaching, ever. The pats were missing 2 starting ol, 2 fullbacks, playing 2 new tes that they just signed last week cause the 2 starters got hurt, josh Gordon out and they won 33-0. The man missing nothing. As the nfl officiating analyst said last night he dominates with details and he gets everyone to buy in. I know a lot of folks don't like him but read his books and watch the docs about him. He's the best for a reason.

You know, as a Dolphins fan, I?ve been impressed by Brian Flores so far. Miami has bottomed out their roster this year, but that team is playing hard and doesn?t beat themselves. They get beat because they don?t have the talent to compete. I?m seeing signs that Flores and this coaching staff know what their doing. Now, I think they are complicit in the tank, as I think some decisions are curious, but overall the team plays hard, doesn?t bust coverages, understands their assignments are are disciplined. I?m fairly excited about what will happen when they improve the talent level.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2019, 05:56 PM
You know, as a Dolphins fan, I?ve been impressed by Brian Flores so far. Miami has bottomed out their roster this year, but that team is playing hard and doesn?t beat themselves. They get beat because they don?t have the talent to compete. I?m seeing signs that Flores and this coaching staff know what their doing. Now, I think they are complicit in the tank, as I think some decisions are curious, but overall the team plays hard, doesn?t bust coverages, understands their assignments are are disciplined. I?m fairly excited about what will happen when they improve the talent level.

I think the dolphins got a good one. Flores is highly intelligent and very detailed. The pats and bb hated losing him but bill always loves to see his guys get HC jobs. He'll get it turned around there.

KB21
10-22-2019, 06:00 PM
I think the dolphins got a good one. Flores is highly intelligent and very detailed. The pats and bb hated losing him but bill always loves to see his guys get HC jobs. He'll get it turned around there.

Previously, his assistants have failed when getting head coaching jobs. Charlie Weiss and Josh McDaniel were both a little too big for their britches, IMO. I’m intrigued with what Matt Patricia is doing in Detroit though. It looks like Patricia and Flores are going to be good ones.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2019, 06:42 PM
Previously, his assistants have failed when getting head coaching jobs. Charlie Weiss and Josh McDaniel were both a little too big for their britches, IMO. I?m intrigued with what Matt Patricia is doing in Detroit though. It looks like Patricia and Flores are going to be good ones.

Yeah not a good track record but Patricia and Flores are cut more out of BB cloth. Romeo Crennel didn't do well either but he went to Cleveland ha! Josh was a little to young and cocky but I think he's matured and learned and when he takes over for bb in a few years will be much better

War Machine Dawg
10-22-2019, 11:42 PM

Sideline demeanor has little to do with it. Belichik himself tends to be very stoic on the sidelines. JWS was very stoic on the sidelines, similar to Moorhead, until his final few years at State. I can remember Gene Stallings at Bama being that way. From those older than me, the Bear was supposedly very stoic with his sideline demeanor. But every one of those guys won big and had an attention to detail and drive for perfection like Shotgun is talking about. You can be very type A without having a fiery demeanor outwardly. That's why I don't get worked up about a coach's sideline demeanor. I personally tend to prefer fiery, animated coaches like Mullen because that's my personality. But everyone has to do what fits their personality, and for some coaches, that means they aren't going to be the demonstrative type.

The Federalist Engineer
10-23-2019, 07:24 PM
That?s called Cleveland.

Cleveland regrets picking Bernie Kosar over Belichick. There is a whole chapter in a biographical book about his lessons in Cleveland.

Don?t be a coach on a team where you can?t make all the needed roster decisions. Don?t leave a good boss, while doing what you love.