PDA

View Full Version : Firing Moorehead after 2 years and coaching candidate wish lists

Randolph Dupree
10-21-2019, 11:31 AM
For those fearful firing Moorehead after two seasons would net us the same type of bad publicity as UM firing Cutcliff, the two situations are not the same. For those saying that posters suggesting we offer an Urban Meyer type candidate the job sounds like some UM fantasy crap, the two situations are not the same.

1. Cutcliff Vs Moorehead- Cutcliff had success at UM for multiple years. He was fired a year removed from losing Eli Manning, and if I recall correctly, he didn't have a terrible record the year he was fired. It was an arrogant firing. Moorehead is kind of the reverse situation where he took a team (2018) that was one of the best if not the best MSU team and essentially had an average year and in 2019 he seems to be trending down. Coming into this season many of us thought 8-4 or 7-5 would be a great year for this team. The reality is that none of us knew TN and TAMU would be as bad as they are. Knowing what we know now 8-4 or 9-3 could've probably been the mark. That would have us losing to UA or TAMU, Bama, and LSU. FWIW I think a Mullen led team beats either TAMU or UA (but not both) and then wins the games they should against TN, UK and K State. In short, assuming Moorehead continues the downward trend, firing after two seasons is just fast forwarding the inevitable. It would not be an arrogant firing.

2. Coaching wishlists- I posted this in another thread but saying we should call up an Urban Meyer type candidate and make him tell us "no" is completely different from starting rumors that Tony Dungy or John Gruden contacted the Athletic Department and rented a private jet to come down to have a meeting. Or saying that Urban Meyer (or whomever) is interested in the job. It's not the same thing. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

My take is that anything less that 6-6 you have to fire JoMo. IMO he should be fired anyway just because of the product that's he puts out. He's lost the fan base and once that happens you don't win them back. However, if we fire a coach at MSU after a bowl eligible season it will be looked at as an arrogant termination. Best case scenario is we go on a roll and get to 7-5 and JoMo finds another job.

TrapGame
10-21-2019, 11:53 AM
I think Moorhead is coaching these games now to impress Rutgers enough to get the job. I don't think he wants to be here next season b/c he knows the odds of him being fired before it's over are astronomically high. The regression of this team in a year and a half is appalling.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
If we get to 7-5 and then 8-5 with a bowl, you can't fire Joe no matter what the offense looks like. Now if we somehow pull out wins while looking like we did at UT then he is on the hot seat next year.

As far as coaches, you are exactly right. You at least ask if there is interest because you never can tell what they might find interesting. Urban could just decide to prove he is better than Mullen and take the job that Mullen couldn't finish. I think the chances of that are between 0 and 1% but you at least ask. Then you ask Bob Stoops to see if he wants back into coaching. Then you probably move on to the realistic candidates. You can win the lottery if you never buy a ticket.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 12:03 PM
I think Moorhead is coaching these games now to impress Rutgers enough to get the job. I don't think he wants to be here next season b/c he knows the odds of him being fired before it's over are astronomically high. The regression of this team in a year and a half is appalling.

Most head coaches that get to this level have big egos. I think Joe is fired up for a couple of reasons. 1.) That we dare to question his ability since he can rattle off all his accomplishments quickly for anyone that asks. 2.) He is pissed because he probably looks at film and sees open guys that would make his offense successful. 3.) In practice without big fast guys trying to kill the QB, his offense works pretty well. 4.) His offense has worked mostly against lower level teams and he can't figure out why he can't get it to work against good to great defenses.

I will say great defenses make most offenses look bad but his offense is looking another level down to hot garbage. I don't know if I have been as mad and then apathetic at a game since Croom, that was what UT did. I think he is angry that he is failing when he has never been this bad in his coaching career. The big leagues does that to you and I think he thought he knew what it was coaching in the Big Ten. He didn't realize the SEC is another step above that.

trojandawg
10-21-2019, 01:07 PM
it's bad when he has to point out his accomplishments at penn state because i feel like that's all he does. he doesn't have any offensive accomplishments to really tout here that he built or did. maybe that's why he is trying to completely destroy the offense so he can "rebuild" it and try to say it was all him...