PDA

View Full Version : Does your opinion change if we win every game but Bama?

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 09:20 PM
If we give great effort and win everything but Bama which would be 8-5 with a bowl win. I think he gets next year definitely if he wins A&M, Ark, Abilene, UM, and a bowl game. I think he would still be on the hotseat unless our offense actually improves.

DownwardDawg
10-20-2019, 09:22 PM
I almost laughed. Then realized that’s a damn good question. Yes. My opinion would Change. I would think that he had figured it out and would certainly deserve another year.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:23 PM
No. Now if he wins everything ... maybe.

Dawgology
10-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Yes

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 09:25 PM
I almost laughed. Then realized that’s a damn good question. Yes. My opinion would Change. I would think that he had figured it out and would certainly deserve another year.

The problem is A&M isn't a good team and the rest are garbage. I would think we would have to beat a decent bowl team at least. We very well get to 8 wins and only beat 1-2 teams with a winning record.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Mine would absolutely change if we do that. But that aint happening. There is a better chance of them hiring me than us winning all but Bama. I think we win 1 more and thats it

DeputyDawg94
10-20-2019, 09:52 PM
I haven’t given any consideration that he could beat everyone but Bama. I’d have to think on that some.

Doggie_Style
10-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Absolutely ....and if I win the lottery I’ll be rich!

Homedawg
10-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Bc he beat 2 bad teams and another not good one in ole miss?? While I'll agree he gets another year, but, no, my opinion wouldn't change. Not one bit

Scared_Hitless
10-20-2019, 10:01 PM
If we finish 8-5 or 7-6 he is safe 100% opinion wouldnt change to much. Garrett prob gets us there A&M not very good.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:07 PM
No because to me a competent head coach in the SEC should know how to have his team prepared and should know to instill discipline on day one. Plus starting Stevens over Shrader against UT sits very poorly with me. Especially since I railed Dan for years for starting Holloway, Zach Jackson, Kivon Coman, and etc. That would definitely be hypocritical coming from me.

Yes, I suppose he could change just like my crazy ex-girlfriend could have changed but the reality is people can only change so much. I mean, I do appreciate Joe at least TRYING to show some emotion and appearing to at least on some level recognize what the problems are- which is better than Croom right? But it also doesn't seem natural at all to him to show that kind of emotion. So it comes off as fake and unbelievable to me as a fan and probably to the team as well. And worse it means he won't be able to really fix the problems even if he actually knows what they are- or will only be able to fix so much.

So if he did pull a Jackie Sherrill 1996 off- which is at this point possible even though there is maybe a 1% chance of that happening at this point- I think I would feel the same way in that yes, we're having success but it's also in a house of cards kind of way where you know everything feels like it is possibly going to fall apart at any moment. You just don't know when South Carolina 2001 is going to happen and the odds even out.

The other thing that would worry me about Joe- after LSU last year people were upset but things did start to change and we played better and won all of our games except for Alabama on the road which is forgivable in most situations during the Nick Saban era. 45 on La Tech, 52 on Arkansas at home, and 35 on Ole Miss on the road last year were solid results. Especially when you throw in the wins over Auburn and Texas A&M last year. So, going into the Outback Bowl last year I was like OK we lost some games mostly because of year one- that's fine I don't like it but I can deal with it. So what happens in the Outback Bowl? We go RIGHT BACK to what we were doing pre-La Tech. Why? More than likely I'm guessing Cohen or someone pushed him to step up on some things which he did which is good- only to go right back to his old habits. Odds of that happening again if we do indeed turn it around? I'd have to guess probably pretty high.

So, he hasn't earned the right to get another chance to me.

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Well, heck yea. If he turns this mess we've been watching into a 7-5 season, he has really done something. Right now I would give little to no shot to win at A&M and then the Ark and OM games are 50/50 at best.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:11 PM
If we finish 8-5 or 7-6 he is safe 100% opinion wouldnt change to much. Garrett prob gets us there A&M not very good.

That's the other thing- if we do get six wins it's going to be more because of Shrader than Moorhead. And maybe Shoop to a degree improving our defense throughout the year which I think is happening some.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 10:23 PM
If we give great effort and win everything but Bama which would be 8-5 with a bowl win. I think he gets next year definitely if he wins A&M, Ark, Abilene, UM, and a bowl game. I think he would still be on the hotseat unless our offense actually improves.

Depends on how we win. Not to keep harping, but the wins have to be as a result of an improved process. If we fluke our way to 8-5 like Croom did to a bowl in 2007, then absolutely not. But if we play fundamentally sound, physical, smart football and put plenty of points on the board, then I would be on the fence. That said, you might as well ask for hell to freeze over. This team is closer to quitting on Jughead than suddenly turning into an 8-5 team that plays good football.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:42 PM
Depends on how we win. Not to keep harping, but it the wins have to be as a result of an improved process. If we fluke our way to 8-5 like Croom did to a bowl in 2007, then absolutely not. But if we play fundamentally sound, physical, smart football and put plenty of points on the board, then I would be on the fence. That said, you might as well ask for hell to freeze over. This team is closer to quitting on Jughead than suddenly turning into an 8-5 team that plays good football.

Exactly. If we won out except for Bama it would be likely because of a fluke than anything the coach did.

StateDawg44
10-21-2019, 07:53 AM
That's the other thing- if we do get six wins it's going to be more because of Shrader than Moorhead. And maybe Shoop to a degree improving our defense throughout the year which I think is happening some.

You musta watched a different TN game than me.

Dawgology
10-21-2019, 08:34 AM
I think you about have to because the mess he has created thus far it would take a genius to get us to 7 or 8 wins after our start.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Depends on how we win. Not to keep harping, but the wins have to be as a result of an improved process. If we fluke our way to 8-5 like Croom did to a bowl in 2007, then absolutely not. But if we play fundamentally sound, physical, smart football and put plenty of points on the board, then I would be on the fence. That said, you might as well ask for hell to freeze over. This team is closer to quitting on Jughead than suddenly turning into an 8-5 team that plays good football.

Oddly enough, I went to all the home games and the Liberty Bowl in 2007. I decided not to renew my tickets in 2008 because I knew it was going to be a shit show.

Liverpooldawg
10-21-2019, 09:06 AM
I don't get this A&M is a bad team mantra. They aren't Alabama and they aren't living up to what they are paying their coach, but they are decent. They have played everybody but Bama pretty close in their losses. We are also playing them out there. I don't see us going on the road and winning that one.

Liverpooldawg
10-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Exactly. If we won out except for Bama it would be likely because of a fluke than anything the coach did.

If the coach gets all the credit for the losses then if we win he has to get the credit for that too.

gtowndawg
10-21-2019, 09:11 AM
I don't get this A&M is a bad team mantra. They aren't Alabama and they aren't living up to what they are paying their coach, but they are decent. They have played everybody but Bama pretty close in their losses. We are also playing them out there. I don't see us going on the road and winning that one.

Been sitting here wondering what I'm missing. How can people watch the team I've watched this year and think we are going to waltz into College Station and win? It's not logical in any sense of the word.

Bothrops
10-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Another first time environment and stadium for Joe. He may not be able to hear himself think.

TrapGame
10-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Been sitting here wondering what I'm missing. How can people watch the team I've watched this year and think we are going to waltz into College Station and win? It's not logical in any sense of the word.

We might get a couple of touchdowns and a FG on A&M but Mond will make our defense look as anemic as ever.

TrapGame
10-21-2019, 09:48 AM

While somewhat improved Saturday we still looked inept, undisciplined and downright clueless at the worst possible times. It was game seven of the season. We should NOT be having the same discussions every Monday morning at this point in the season. Illinois beat Wisconsin. That shouldn't have happened. Lovie Smith has every right to say "I'm building something here. Stay the course." We get pummeled by a flat LSU and Joe wants tell us "We are building something special here." Bitch, it was already built before you got here!

Rex54
10-21-2019, 09:57 AM
If he beats A&M, Arkansas, and Mississippi then yes my opinion of him getting another year as I currently expect to lose all three. He would get next year which would be a new measuring stick. Anything less than 8-4 in 2020 is unacceptable.

RiverCityDawg
10-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Maybe it's semantics... I agree they aren't "bad", and on the road it would be tough even playing competently, but they are very average and it should be a winnable game. Not a guaranteed win by any stretch but winnable.

I think a lot of us are expecting us to go down there and look the way we usually look on the road and get handled pretty easily. That shouldn't happen, but until I see otherwise that's what I'm expecting. IF we look prepared, organized and disciplined on the road against this team, it will have to be acknowledged as a significant step in the right direction.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Yes, but our chances of losing every game but Abilene >>> than the chances of us winning every one but Alabama

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 10:33 AM
If the coach gets all the credit for the losses then if we win he has to get the credit for that too.

I think he is saying that some weird stuff like a couple of pick sixes happen that gets us a win. Similar to how Croom got to a bowl in 2007, you knew that it wasn't sustainable. The offense was still crap but the Defense was scoring and was leading to wins.

Or he is saying that he comes out with a gameplan similar to AU last year and just never does it again even though it was successful.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Yes, but our chances of losing every game but Abilene >>> than the chances of us winning every one but Alabama

I agree since we have to win two road games but the thread topic was if we actually pulled it off would you agree that Joe deserves another year. I think even if we luck into winning those games then he would deserve next year. I wouldn't feel great about it but I would think he would have earned it.

Now for me to think he actually deserves next year, we need to play every game like it is our last and win 8. I don't think Joe's version of this offense will work at MSU except against shit teams but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-21-2019, 10:49 AM
I agree since we have to win two road games but the thread topic was if we actually pulled it off would you agree that Joe deserves another year. I think even if we luck into winning those games then he would deserve next year. I wouldn't feel great about it but I would think he would have earned it.

Now for me to think he actually deserves next year, we need to play every game like it is our last and win 8. I don't think Joe's version of this offense will work at MSU except against shit teams but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Concur.

Captain Falcon
10-21-2019, 11:11 AM
7-5 would be essentially meeting preseason expectations. We expected to beat Tennessee and lose to A&M, so those would be a wash. And for Kansas State, you could argue that suspensions and injuries (plus Shrader being put in a pressure situation for the first time) caused that loss.

The ugliness that was the first half of our season can’t be undone, but if we were to somehow go 7-5 and then win the bowl game, that’s the best response you could reasonably ask of Moorhead after the Tennessee debacle. That would mean we win 5 of our last 6 and finish at .500 in league play, with two road wins.

It won’t erase the doubts and concerns about Joe, but it would provide room for hope and optimism that maybe he’s starting to figure some things out. He’s never had sustained momentum since he’s been here, a strong finish this year would finally provide that, at least to some degree.

TrapGame
10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Although my opinion would change a little with 7-5 I'd have to think that's resume building by Joe for a shot at Rutgers. I don't think he wants to be here at this point. I actually believe he realizes he's in over his head in the SEC. This is not the Patriot League. This is not riding shotgun on a Big10 staff. This is the most demanding conference in college football with talent even on the average teams.