PDA

View Full Version : Coach 34 - who do hire for next year if Joe leaves?

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Who is on your short list if you are hiring MSU's next football coach?

Lord McBuckethead
10-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Les Miles
Chip Kelly
Tommy tupperville
Etc

defiantdog
10-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Les Miles
Chip Kelly
Tommy tupperville
Etc

This is a joke right?

msbulldog
10-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Chip Kelly? Really?

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Les Miles
Chip Kelly
Tommy tupperville
Etc

The only person I could even conceivably see on this list is Les Miles, and Les ain’t coming back to this conference to field incompetent offenses at a team with 1/10 of the resources he had when he coached in BR. Plus, he’d never coach against LSU. His heart will always be in Baton Rouge. So, yeah, literally no one on that list.

Lord McBuckethead
10-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Also, I am not saying its time to move on, but if I had a short list of coaches that have proven they can get it done as a head coach, there you go.

Quaoarsking
10-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Urban Meyer - Hypothetically available, but if he's looking to get back into coaching there's probably more attractive and lucrative options for him
Mark Richt - Same boat as Meyer, but seems a little more plausible. I would be happy with Cohen if he was our man.
Les Miles - Probably won't leave Kansas after just 1 year, but I'd be fine hiring him
Chip Kelly - No. Had a great 4 years at Oregon, but has been awful ever since
Tommy tupperville - No. Washed up and is currently running for US Senate anyway
Etc

see above

Coach34
10-20-2019, 02:04 PM
I’ll come up with some names this afternoon

Quaoarsking
10-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Here's some names off the top of my head. Not an exhaustive list, and many of them may not be interested anyway. I don't necessarily advocate everyone on the list.

Group 1 - Worth a call, but don't get your hopes up
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Bob Stoops

Group 2 - Potentially a solid hire (already head coaches)
Blake Anderson
Craig Bohl
Kendall Briles
Bill Clark
Dave Clawson
Luke Fickell
Willie Fritz
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel
Jay Hill (Weber State HC)
Lance Leipold
Seth Littrell
Jeff Monken
Billy Napier
Mike Norvell
Nick Rolovich
Jake Spavital

Group 3 - The Coordinators
Dave Aranda
Todd Grantham
Graham Harrell
Bob Shoop
Brent Venables

Group 4 - The Retreads
Gene Chizik
Sonny Dykes (fired by Cal, but was a terrible fit there)
Hugh Freeze (personally I'd rather keep Moorhead)
Mark Helfrich (37-16 / 24-12 Pac-12 with a playoff appearance)
Skip Holtz
Lane Kiffin
Jim McElwain (22-12 / 16-8 SEC with 2 division titles)
Willie Taggart (I know, but he's been good at other jobs)

Group 5 - Already have a good/better job and probably wouldn't come, but worth asking
Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
PJ Fleck
Mike Leach
Les Miles (OK, Kansas is an awful job, but I doubt he would leave them so soon for us)
Gary Patterson
Kyle Whittingham

parabrave
10-20-2019, 02:28 PM
What about a coach who took over a team after its head coach left and its star QB had his leg broken and in a few weeks took that team to a bowl game with a true freshman as QB and beat a better team? Why him because he GETS IT.

Dawgfan77
10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
I don?t know why but Skip Holtz is a name that intrigues me. Won at ECU and wins at Tech. I like his offense and he recruits MS hard. The USF thing wasn?t great but he has done well everywhere he has been

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 03:54 PM
What about a coach who took over a team after its head coach left and its star QB had his leg broken and in a few weeks took that team to a bowl game with a true freshman as QB and beat a better team? Why him because he GETS IT.

Greg Knox? Seriously?

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 03:59 PM
If the rumors of Kyle Whittingham being interested last time around are true, I would give him a call, unless we burned the bridge by passing over him. Cohen is incredibly stupid for not considering that guy

Bothrops
10-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Mark Richt made his exit at Miami.

parabrave
10-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Greg Knox? Seriously?

Sure.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 05:19 PM
If the rumors of Kyle Whittingham being interested last time around are true, I would give him a call, unless we burned the bridge by passing over him. Cohen is incredibly stupid for not considering that guy

That ship has sailed according to our mutual friend

Rex54
10-20-2019, 05:30 PM
That ship has sailed according to our mutual friend

4.5 million a year will put some wind back in those sails.

RocketDawg
10-20-2019, 05:40 PM
4.5 million a year will put some wind back in those sails.

He's a Morman (presumably, since he went to BYU), so another $500K might not be enough to get him to leave Utah. Plus, they'd likely match whatever we offered. He'd be a good one though.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 05:50 PM
My list would be:

Make Urban say no to $6MM- then after he did:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Mike Norvell (I dont care how much he likes to play cards)
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson
Rich Rodriguez (their offense is better than ours already)

msu15
10-20-2019, 06:03 PM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

I’d be down for any of them to be honest.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2019, 06:05 PM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

I know people will laugh at Rich Rodriguez, but at MSU with Shrader, he'd have the best QB he's had since Pat White to run his offense.

Ole Miss' offense is currently playing better than ours, mostly due to just having more game breaking speed, but their QB situation is a mess.

Plumlee can't throw a lick & Corral can't really run the way Rich Rod needs to effectively run that offense. Shrader is by far the best option because he can do both.

The more I read up on things, I think Napier is the guy. He runs Gus Bus's offense, is from Cookville, TN, & coached at Bama.

So we'd be getting a guy that is from the South, runs the spread option, has coached around the country, & coached under Saban. That's a pretty outstanding fit for us. My only concern with Napier is that they have one of the more experienced OLs in college football & that my be fueling much of their success.

Clawson & Rhule would be my first two calls off this list. Clawson only makes 1.8 mil & you have no chance of winning big at Wake. My only concern is that Clawson may wait for a bigger job than MSU.

Campbell & Rhule won't leave for MSU.

Kiffin would be super interesting. Thinking about Cohen having to deal day in & day out with Kiffin would be worth the price of admission. I can just about guarantee you that Cohen would not hire Kiffin. Kiffin would be a 180 from the controllable types that Cohen keeps hiring.

Lastly, I'd want to interview the coach at App State. I know Satterfield built that monster, but the new guy seems to be doing just fine & he's from Arkansas originally. He's at very least worth an interview

Hambone
10-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Who’s the current coach at Arkansas State? They seem to churn out some winners.....

RocketDawg
10-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Maybe a decent chance at Matt Rhule, really good chance at Napier, Matt Campbell doesn't have a very good record at Iowa State, Dave Clawson is doing really well at Wake Forest. RichRod might be OK.

Many posters worry about Joe being "cerebral" and it's because he's used to coaching "smarter" players than we have so it's not working; not sure if that's true, but Dave Clawson's players might be an order of magnitude smarter than those at Fordham.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Rich Rod would be absolutely horrible. I'd probably just quit following MSU football if we hired him. Honestly, I would take Moorhead over Rich Rod. Anyone else would be an upgrade.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 06:16 PM
So Kiffin, Napier, & Clawson is the list.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Rich Rod would be absolutely horrible. I'd probably just quit following MSU football if we hired him. Honestly, I would take Moorhead over Rich Rod. Anyone else would be an upgrade.

Why?

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Napier and Clawson for sure.

I can't see Cohen hiring Kiffin. It would be hilarious

Can anyone imagine the stories that would come out about Kiffin around Starkville? This is Joey Freshwater we're talking about here.

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Maybe a decent chance at Matt Rhule, really good chance at Napier, Matt Campbell doesn't have a very good record at Iowa State, Dave Clawson is doing really well at Wake Forest. RichRod might be OK.

Many posters worry about Joe being "cerebral" and it's because he's used to coaching "smarter" players than we have so it's not working; not sure if that's true, but Dave Clawson's players might be an order of magnitude smarter than those at Fordham.

I would definitely call but Rhule is not a descent chance. Campbell is 21-12 in his last 33 games at Iowa State...that’s Iowa... State. Really good record for them.

msstate7
10-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Clawson and retain shoop. This would be a great setup.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Why?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but if I have to explain it, it's not worth it. I'm shocked Coach34 would have him on his list. I guess I give him too much credit. Ole Miss wants him gone ASAP as their offensive coordinator. He was terrible at Michigan. He was mediocre at Arizona. He's still running the same system he was running 20 years ago.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 06:21 PM

LOL, yep. I don't really care for Napier. I could get behind Clawson. Kiffin would be entertaining at least.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Napier and Clawson for sure.

I can't see Cohen hiring Kiffin. It would be hilarious

Can anyone imagine the stories that would come out about Kiffin around Starkville? This is Joey Freshwater we're talking about here.

I think what people need to ask themselves is what they want. When Joe was hired the fan base said we need someone to build off what Mullen built & take us higher. Now all I hear is such & such is better than Joe. Well so far that's not proving hard to do. Are we still trying to take the next step after Mullen or are we just trying to get someone better than Joe because those are 2 totally different coaches.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Clawson and retain shoop. This would be a great setup.

Biggest question is recruiting wise. To move up a level recruiting has to move up a level from what Mullen did. Can Clawson & a Clawson led staff recruit in the 17-22 realm year in & year out?

Coach34
10-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass, but if I have to explain it, it's not worth it. I'm shocked Coach34 would have him on his list. I guess I give him too much credit. Ole Miss wants him gone ASAP as their offensive coordinator. He was terrible at Michigan. He was mediocre at Arizona. He's still running the same system he was running 20 years ago.

He's 5th in Total O this year making chicken salad out of chicken shit in Oxford. He's using what he has to get the most out of his players- that is exactly what we need. No way in hell should they be 5th in the SEC in Total O with Plumlee at QB while we sit at 10th. They scored 31 on Bama- thats 5 years worth of games for us.

msstate7
10-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Biggest question is recruiting wise. To move up a level recruiting has to move up a level from what Mullen did. Can Clawson & a Clawson led staff recruit in the 17-22 realm year in & year out?

I don't know. I think he'd have an easier time recruiting here than WF, but inside the top 20 is gonna be tough year-in, year-out. I do like that clawson practically never has a talent advantage, but he wins and fields a good offense

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Rich Rod has been a failure as the head man everywhere he’s ever been.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 06:31 PM
I don't know. I think he'd have an easier time recruiting here than WF, but inside the top 20 is gonna be tough year-in, year-out. I do like that clawson practically never has a talent advantage, but he wins and fields a good offense

I think he'd be better than Joe (duh) but I have a tough time seeing him consistently being as good or better than what Mullen did.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 06:35 PM
I think he'd be better than Joe (duh) but I have a tough time seeing him consistently being as good or better than what Mullen did.

Who's your list?

Coach34
10-20-2019, 06:37 PM

43-28-2 at Glenville State
60-26 at West Virginia
15-22 at Michigan with a winning record his last year while rebuilding the program
43-35 at Arizona

Apparently you dont know what the word failure means

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 06:37 PM

No. He was very very good at WVU. Michigan was a terrible fit and had divorce written on it from day one. Too many were split on the hire. He has been average to bad since he left WVU

jacksondawg
10-20-2019, 06:41 PM
What about Aranda or Grantham?

vv83
10-20-2019, 06:42 PM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

Just out of curiosity, do you think 6 is the highest we?d go for Urban? I feel like if we offered Dan 6 to stay we could scrap up a bit more than that to get a multiple NC head coach out of retirement

Coach34
10-20-2019, 06:45 PM

I dont think Aranda is a HC type. I could completely be wrong- but he just seems to soft-spoken to me. Grantham is fun to drink beer with and a great coach- not sure I'd make that hier as the HC though.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 06:48 PM
He's 5th in Total O this year making chicken salad out of chicken shit in Oxford. He's using what he has to get the most out of his players- that is exactly what we need. No way in hell should they be 5th in the SEC in Total O with Plumlee at QB while we sit at 10th. They scored 31 on Bama- thats 5 years worth of games for us.

Well Bama isn't your typical Bama this year but we won't hang 31 on them. And we have more than chicken shit on O ... or should have on paper. They're also 48th in O nationally.

ETA: I'm actually intrigued by Rich Rod possibility.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 06:48 PM
No. He was very very good at WVU. Michigan was a terrible fit and had divorce written on it from day one. Too many were split on the hire. He has been average to bad since he left WVU

He went to bowls 5 of the 6 years he was in Arizona. Thats not normal for them

Coach007
10-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Who is on your short list if you are hiring MSU's next football coach?

He's not gone. Won't be. Already confirmed

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 06:52 PM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

My top 3 from that list would be:

1. Billy Napier
2. Dave Clawson
2. Matt Campbell

Coach007
10-20-2019, 06:52 PM
This is a joke right?

No more so than Moorhead being fired.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Hell man ... we just havin fun. We know Moorhead's gonna build us a dynasty and we're really all in on it. We just don't want other teams to come poach our coach.

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Ole Miss is 86th in the country in scoring offense.

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 06:54 PM
He went to bowls 5 of the 6 years he was in Arizona. Thats not normal for them

That’s true. Probably critiquing him a little harsh at AZ...should have been better than he was IMO but that’s fair

Coursesuper
10-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Ok, confirmed by who? You love to run that suck let it fly.

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 06:59 PM

Uh...that?s not been confirmed as of this weekend. He goes 4-8 and he is not confirmed to coach us next year. Rutgers or not. Will they actually fire him? I don?t know, but it is on the table and the discussion has happened.

basedog
10-20-2019, 07:01 PM
I'd check out Bret Venables.

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Anyone think Joe Judge gets a interview? Played at MSU, GA at Bama, and he has been under Belichek for a long while as Special teams coordinator and WR coach.

DeputyDawg94
10-20-2019, 07:06 PM
I think Grantham would be a good hire as long as he as was given the $ to hire a top of the line OC. He’d have to do what Mullen is doing and stay out of his OC’s way tho. With Grantham I guarantee the team wouldn’t play soft.

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Want to see an eye opening stat with Clawson? Here's the record of every year he's been a HC:

Fordham:
0–11
3–8
7–4
10–3
9–3

Richmond:
3–8
9–4
6–5
11-3

Bowling Green:
7-6
2-10
5-7
8-5
10-3

Wake Forest:
3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
6-1 (this year)

The dude can turn programs around. Looks like we'll need a little bit of that the longer we keep Joe

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Want to see an eye opening stat with Clawson? Here's the record of every year he's been a HC:

Fordham:
0–11
3–8
7–4
10–3
9–3

Richmond:
3–8
9–4
6–5
11-3

Bowling Green:
7-6
2-10
5-7
8-5
10-3

Wake Forest:
3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
6-1 (this year)

The dude can turn programs around. Looks like we'll need a little bit of that the longer we keep Joe

I saw that too. Start at Fordham and work your way up isn't a bad option. Too much, too soon for our HC tho.

msstate7
10-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Fordham:
0–11
3–8
7–4
10–3
9–3

Richmond:
3–8
9–4
6–5
11-3

Bowling Green:
7-6
2-10
5-7
8-5
10-3

Wake Forest:
3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
6-1 (this year)

I'd love to have him. I almost expect FSU to get him this year though

DeputyDawg94
10-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Fordham:
0–11
3–8
7–4
10–3
9–3

Richmond:
3–8
9–4
6–5
11-3

Bowling Green:
7-6
2-10
5-7
8-5
10-3

Wake Forest:
3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
6-1 (this year)

That’s impressive! Had no idea he had improved that many programs like that.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 07:18 PM

He?s only averaging 1PPG more than Joe.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Who's your list?

Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

HoopsDawg
10-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

good list. satterfield would be a tough pull. so would Fleck.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 07:22 PM
good list. satterfield would be a tough pull. so would Fleck.

Oh yes I understand but you have to make those calls.

dawgday166
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

You don't like Clawson or don't think we can get him?

msstate7
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

Those top 4 would be really tough to pull imo.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 07:24 PM
You don't like Clawson or don't think we can get him?

If he was the guy I wouldn't be upset but he's not what I prefer. More so recruiting wise than actual coaching. If we're going to take another step up we have to recruit a step up. I question Clawson there.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Those top 4 would be really tough to pull imo.

Maybe so but I think Harsin could be had for the right price. Whether that's MSU or somewhere else.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

I like this list better. Satterfield would be the top choice for me but we would have to pay to pull him. Worth the call as you said.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 07:26 PM
If he was the guy I wouldn't be upset but he's not what I prefer. More so recruiting wise than actual coaching. If we're going to take another step up we have to recruit a step up. I question Clawson there.

Ok. Not sure it's true but from Wikipedia (and who know who wrote it):

He has re-built the Deacons using a philosophy of strong recruiting classes, redshirting as many freshmen as possible, and having a strong strength and conditioning program.[1

ETA: Another thing I kinda like about Clawson is he has a very young DC. Might could convince him to work under Shoop and retain Shoop.

TrapGame

We go 4-8 and he's gone. You can write it in blood. And it won't be for losing to om. It will be for losing to Arkansas. They are a raging dumpster fire with no SEC wins in nearly two seasons. If we become their first SEC win, and probably only SEC win, this season Joe better call the U-Haul and get boxes ready.

I saw that too. Start at Fordham and work your way up isn't a bad option. Too much, too soon for our HC tho.

Yep. Joe's not experienced enough for the SEC. Had he been with Franklin at Vandy too it might have helped a lot.

Todd4State

I agree. Plus would we be potentially ready to wait five years for him to rebuild? Probably not- nor should we.

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 07:34 PM
43-28-2 at Glenville State
60-26 at West Virginia
15-22 at Michigan with a winning record his last year while rebuilding the program
43-35 at Arizona

Apparently you dont know what the word failure means

Maybe not a complete failure, but his last few stops have been certainly underwhelming.
I looked up ?failure,? per your suggestion. Oddly enough, it?s listed example was a continuous fired high school assistant coach.....

Go hawk your little diarrhea coffee, son.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 07:36 PM
I think we should follow LSU and hire a lesser name head coach for cheaper and then spend higher on OC/DC. It has worked very well for LSU and to an extent for Ole Miss even though the ceiling is limited there they are probably maximizing what they have to work with.

That’s why I would hire someone like Shane Beamer the AHC from Oklahoma. He has SEC experience. Has coached on all three sides of the ball- offense, defense, and special teams. Is a good recruiter and knows Mississippi. Then go throw 1.5 million at Joe Brady and give Shoop a raise. If Beamer wants to run a 3-4 go throw a bunch of money at Todd Grantham. Beamer could probably handle special teams or let Tony Hughes handle the job with Beamer assisting.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 07:37 PM
He?s only averaging 1PPG more than Joe.

With much worse talent. Their OL is garbage and Plumlee is learning how to become a passer- he is basically Fitz as a true freshman

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Maybe so but I think Harsin could be had for the right price. Whether that's MSU or somewhere else.

I’d go after him with $5 million a year.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 07:39 PM
With much worse talent. Their OL is garbage and Plumlee is learning how to become a passer- he is basically Fitz as a true freshman

Rich Rod sucks. He’s the offensive coordinator for a 4-8 team.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 07:42 PM

We're never going to "take the next step" in recruiting. We have to recruit the way Mullen did- and also pull some higher ranked WR-types. Mullen's recruiting was smart- finding diamonds all around Miss, Ala, and Louisiana. Thats what it takes here. Where Mullen lacked was the lack of personality and salesmanship to your guys like WR's. Hevesy telling HS WR recruits the 1st thing they were going to learn at State was to block was a huge turn off to alot of top guys. You dont do that.

You find a guy that can recruit around 20 or so- and take advantage of those seasons where you have really good Sr and Jr classes- like 2010, 2014, 2018....

Coach34
10-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Rich Rod sucks. He’s the offensive coordinator for a 4-8 team.

I'll bump this on Thanksgiving

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 07:43 PM

Learning how to become a passer? They are switching QBs play to play. That’s dumb as hell and costing them games. Plumlee missed a wide open pass to a receiver that would have scored a TD that high school QBs could make. He’s not a passer at all and with a few good hits probably won’t be available when they play us.

RocketDawg
10-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Wikipedia says he only makes $1.35M at Boise State. We could easily double or triple that if we wanted him bad enough.

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 07:45 PM
If we had worn the helmet in C34's avatar, we'd be 5-2 right now**

Man I miss that helmet. But anyways, Clawson is starting to grow on me. I think he fits us. And if we've learned anything from the Joe Moorhead era, it's that we need a coach that fits us

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 07:45 PM

So you are saying they won’t be 4-7 when they are going to the Egg Bowl? No need to bump it. You are calling for them to upset LSU or Auburn? They are 3-5 right now. Their only sure win is New Mexico State.

RocketDawg
10-20-2019, 07:46 PM

I'm afraid you're right.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 07:48 PM
If we had worn the helmet in C34's avatar, we'd be 5-2 right now**

Man I miss that helmet. But anyways, Clawson is starting to grow on me. I think he fits us. And if we've learned anything from the Joe Moorhead era, it's that we need a coach that fits us

What I like about him on top of Wikipedia article if true is, he's progressively worked his way up to stiffer competition. Doesn't mean he won't make mistakes but he'll probably correct them at a much quicker pace than most, cause he's had to do it before. And easily way more quickly than what we currently have.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 07:48 PM
We're never going to "take the next step" in recruiting. We have to recruit the way Mullen did- and also pull some higher ranked WR-types. Mullen's recruiting was smart- finding diamonds all around Miss, Ala, and Louisiana. Thats what it takes here. Where Mullen lacked was the lack of personality and salesmanship to your guys like WR's. Hevesy telling HS WR recruits the 1st thing they were going to learn at State was to block was a huge turn off to alot of top guys. You dont do that.

You find a guy that can recruit around 20 or so- and take advantage of those seasons where you have really good Sr and Jr classes- like 2010, 2014, 2018....

You're mistaking my next step in recruiting as saying we need to start recruiting Top 15 classes. I'm not that's going up 2 steps. The next step in recruiting is recruiting consistently in the 17-22 range. That's an extra 1-3 4* a year. We can go back through almost every Mullen class & name a kid or 3 that if we landed them we'd be in that range. Hell we can do that with Joe's class last year. It's not a huge jump but it's a needed & necessary jump that we have to make if we want to make the next step on the field. That next step on the field isn't consistently challenging for the West it's consistently being over .500 in the SEC & every 3-4 years having the opportunity to compete for the West. Those are the next steps up from Mullen not Top 10-15 recruiting classes & winning the West.

msbulldog
10-20-2019, 07:50 PM
Ole Miss is 86th in the country in scoring offense.

If you watched A&M and UM last night you'd have to wonder who was calling UM's plays. They were playing Plumlee most downs and bringing in Corral on obvious passing downs. It wouldn't take a genius to call the defense against that.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm afraid you're right.

Well you guys better hope he’s wrong because all this speculation is all for not if we aren’t 6-6. Only an idiot university would hire a coach that had a losing season this year and we aren’t firing him after two years.

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 07:53 PM
What I like about him on top of Wikipedia article if true is, he's progressively worked his way up to stiffer competition. Doesn't mean he won't make mistakes but he'll probably correct them at a much quicker pace than most, cause he's had to do it before. And easily way more quickly than what we currently have.

Yep. He's been successful at every level. He stresses toughness and S&Cing, which we desperately need. He has an offense that works. My only concerns are what IYOK has said about his recruiting and what he would do as far as hiring a DC.

MD2020
10-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

Harsin is only making 1.35 per year. That seems like a potential lure if offered.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Yep. He's been successful at every level. He stresses toughness and S&Cing, which we desperately need. He has an offense that works. My only concerns are what IYOK has said about his recruiting and what he would do as far as hiring a DC.

Yea ... I'm wondering if IYOK knows something more in-depth about the recruiting part.

Homedawg
10-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Les Miles
Chip Kelly
Tommy tupperville
Etc

Wth???

Coach34
10-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Maybe not a complete failure, but his last few stops have been certainly underwhelming.
I looked up ?failure,? per your suggestion. Oddly enough, it?s listed example was a continuous fired high school assistant coach.....

And look who becomes a baby back bitch when proven to be a moron. As far as my employment- the last 6 coaching jobs I've had dating back to the 90's I was called to come interview- not applied for. I dont always play well with administrators. Thanks for your concern

Homedawg
10-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Right up until the day we can him, this is correct. It's inevitable...

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 08:07 PM

We aren’t firing him after two seasons. Hell Rick “Shitshow” Ray got 3 years. Our only hope to not have him next year is to win Arky, AC, and Ole Miss and finish 6-6 and he can go to Rutgers. That isn’t that tall a task considering we will be full go against Arky and OM.

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 08:14 PM
And look who becomes a baby back bitch when proven to be a moron. As far as my employment- the last 6 coaching jobs I've had dating back to the 90's I was called to come interview- not applied for. I dont always play well with administrators. Thanks for your concern

The one shot he got at the big time, he crumbled. And, no, WV is not the big time. RR is just a retread. And you couldn?t prove I was a ?moron? if you had ten thousand years, take your pyramid scheme on somewhere. You wanna trot all the times you were wrong and stack em up side by side?

Coach007
10-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Nope...

If it is... ok. But for the next year... no.

timotheus
10-20-2019, 08:21 PM
So 007, are u amending your 3 year thinking for joe? now we will win in his 4th year?

I seen it dawg
10-20-2019, 08:36 PM

At what point in your mind was this a good ****ing idea? Zero reason. Stupid. Debate the points in a good thread. Don't add stupid personal sit.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:07 PM
I?d be down for any of them to be honest.

If you are down for Rich Rod then you should just stay down tbh. Aint no way in hell.

Homedawg
10-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Nope...

If it is... ok. But for the next year... no.

You keep saying no, like there is zero percent chance. You are off base bro. Badly.

Homedawg
10-20-2019, 09:15 PM
So 007, are u amending your 3 year thinking for joe? now we will win in his 4th year?

We had a talented roster, a top 15 defenses returning to lead us to a 11-1 year.... his words.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Why?

There is no way in hell. He ran Michigan aground and got fired at Arizona for cheating on his wife. There is no way. Btw Plumlee is a dawg. He can throw it good enough, if he stays in the whole game they probably beat A&M. Napier makes the most sense. It would be who we are.

But I would consider Fritz and Grantham if it was me. Campbell is a good coach I think he would consider it as well

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
We had a talented roster, a top 15 defenses returning to lead us to a 11-1 year.... his words.

And 2018 was at best an 8 win team too. This year's team with Moorhead and his QB ... different story.

But I'm now all-in on Moorhead establishing a dynasty here.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Brian Harsin
Scott Satterfield
Kyle Whittingham
PJ Fleck
Mike Norvell
Billy Napier

Likely in that order

None of those are leaving where they are. Maybe Norvell and Napier would come. All of the others have an easier road where they are. We are a year too late on Satterfield.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:25 PM
We go 4-8 and he's gone. You can write it in blood. And it won't be for losing to om. It will be for losing to Arkansas. They are a raging dumpster fire with no SEC wins in nearly two seasons. If we become their first SEC win, and probably only SEC win, this season Joe better call the U-Haul and get boxes ready.

Yep. Joe's not experienced enough for the SEC. Had he been with Franklin at Vandy too it might have helped a lot.

Tennessee hadnt beat a FBS team till they played us. If you are shocked that we could lose to Arky you dont have a clue how bad it is. I dont think yall understand just how bad we looked at UT

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 09:30 PM
At what point in your mind was this a good ****ing idea? Zero reason. Stupid. Debate the points in a good thread. Don't add stupid personal sit.

Dude..This is constant on this site. And I was just replying to an insult. Is that not what we do here now?

Ban me.

I seen it dawg
10-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Dude..This is constant on this site. And I was just replying to an insult. Is that not what we do here now?

Ban me.

Weak sauce. And ok bye.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:34 PM
Tennessee hadnt beat a FBS team till they played us. If you are shocked that we could lose to Arky you dont have a clue how bad it is. I dont think yall understand just how bad we looked at UT

Arky is historically bad. Chad Morris is 0fer in the SEC. We start and play Shrader the whole game at UT we win by 10+. We will beat Arky if we start and play Shrader the whole game...

Ifyouonlyknew
10-20-2019, 09:37 PM
None of those are leaving where they are. Maybe Norvell and Napier would come. All of the others have an easier road where they are. We are a year too late on Satterfield.

We'd just have to see.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Arky is historically bad. Chad Morris is 0fer in the SEC. We start and play Shrader the whole game at UT we win by 10+. We will beat Arky if we start and play Shrader the whole game...

I hear ya in theory- but until we show a pulse on the road everybody will remain skeptical. And I dont know that we win at Tenn with Shrader going the whole game. It would have been a nailbiter. They threw 2 picks in the end zone and then played ultraconservative because we couldnt score. The game wasnt really close

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 09:41 PM

Yep, it would be a HR if we could ever get a coach that could coach as well as Mullen that could also put the effort into recruiting that Moorhead does.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:42 PM

We could easily, EASILY lose that game. Arkansas is going to run the ball on us. OM is going to run the ball on us and we dont have anyone on the defense that can tackle Plumlee even if they wanted to, and idk how bad they want to. Plumlee may run for 150-200 on us. If they put in Corral it is a win for us. Im just being honest with you.

We will beat ACU and thats it. It is time to move on. He can play hardass all he wants too it is too little too late. Damn shame too. We lost to a historically bad UT team dude. It is over.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:44 PM
I hear ya in theory- but until we show a pulse on the road everybody will remain skeptical. And I dont know that we win at Tenn with Shrader going the whole game. It would have been a nailbiter. They threw 2 picks in the end zone and then played ultraconservative because we couldnt score. The game wasnt really close

Wasn’t close? If Shrader plays the whole game he at least would have led us to one or more TD drives. Hell, when we made the game 13-10 the crowd there was thinking here we go again and they were going to lose. Had our D not had a brain fart and let UT run it down the field to score a TD we probably win that game 17-16.

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 09:45 PM

I'm personally scared to death to go back with another P5 coordinator. You absolutely don't know what you have until they start actually having to run an entire program. We were just very fortunate that Mullen worked out like he did. I would rather go with a successful G5 HC.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:47 PM
We could easily, EASILY lose that game. Arkansas is going to run the ball on us. OM is going to run the ball on us and we dont have anyone on the defense that can tackle Plumlee even if they wanted to, and idk how bad they want to. Plumlee may run for 150-200 on us. If they put in Corral it is a win for us. Im just being honest with you.

We will beat ACU and thats it. It is time to move on. He can play hardass all he wants too it is too little too late. Damn shame too. We lost to a historically bad UT team dude. It is over.

Starting Shrader the rest of the way we will win more then against ACU. That’s a dumb as hell statement to say we will only win one more period.

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 09:48 PM
Starting Shrader the rest of the way we will win more then against ACU. That’s a dumb as hell statement to say we will only win one more period.

Its a factual statement. Im with you it hurts me to say it, I dont wanna say it but its the truth. Schrader is not the end all beat all dude. He is a gamer and is tough but he isnt worth 3 wins. I would be shocked if we get 6 wins.

You saying its dumb as hell is speaking with your heart and not your brain. I was there too till the UT game

Coach34
10-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Wasn’t close? If Shrader plays the whole game he at least would have led us to one or more TD drives. Hell, when we made the game 13-10 the crowd there was thinking here we go again and they were going to lose. Had our D not had a brain fart and let UT run it down the field to score a TD we probably win that game 17-16.

Shrader played an entire half and scored 7 points while throwing a pick. Tenn outscored us 10-7 in the 2nd half while he was at QB.

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Shrader played an entire half and scored 7 points while throwing a pick. Tenn outscored us 10-7 in the 2nd half while he was at QB.

Exactly, because our biggest offensive issue the past 2 games is we can't run the ball at all other than some QB keepers.

ScottH
10-20-2019, 09:57 PM
Cohen's only playbook is the one Loafers left him.

On numerous occasions Loafers said in interviews MSU's usual best course is to hire a top assistant with the exception of baseball and a special circumstance.

That being the case, I'd start building my wish list with top assistants.

Off the top of my head.....

Football - Mullen - asst, Moorhead - asst
BB - Ray - asst, Howland - not coaching
WBB - Vic - asst
Baseball - Cann - asst, Lemonis - head
Softball - Vann - asst, Ricketts - asst
Track - Dudley - asst, Woods - asst
M Golf - Smith - asst
W Golf - Brown-Lemm - head
M Tennis - Roberts - asst
Soccer - ? - asst/club, Armstrong - asst
Volleyball - McFatrich - head, Darty - head

Apologies to women's tennis, I'm too lazy to look up.

That's- 13/18 asst, 4/18 head (Volley x 2, w Gold x 1, Lemonis) 1/18 not coaching

Statistics, at least, say it'll be an assistant.

If Loafers were still here, I'd bet all I own on an assistant. If Cohen goes rouge it'll be regional G5 at best. AD wants to be BMOC.

Remember in baseball, with all our advantages, after promising the moon, the best Cohen could attract was 2nd or 3rd best Big 10 coach. Football doesn't have any advantages.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Yeah because starting off down 10-3 in the second half is a better situation then starting the game 0-0.

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 10:05 PM

On numerous occasions Loafers said in interviews MSU's usual best course is to hire a top assistant with the exception of baseball and a special circumstance.

WBB - Vic - asst
M Golf - Smith - asst

That's- 13/18 asst, 4/18 head (Volley x 2, w Gold x 1, Lemonis) 1/18 not coaching

If Loafers were still here, I'd bet all I own on an assistant. If Cohen goes rouge it'll be regional G5 at best. AD wants to be BMOC.

Remember in baseball, with all our advantages, after promising the moon, the best Cohen could attract was 2nd or 3rd best Big 10 coach. Football doesn't have any advantages.

And of those top 5 sports you list (which include pretty much all the ones most folks would care about), the only assistant that worked out for Loafers was Schaefer. Mullen was hired by Byrne.

vv83
10-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Not us obviously, but I'm thinking Kellen Moore gets a shot at a lower level P5 school if he wants it. He may prefer to stay in NFL and try for a HC position few years down the road though

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Exactly, because our biggest offensive issue the past 2 games is we can't run the ball at all other than some QB keepers.

One reason I thought it was funny that Moorhead talked about us rushing for more than the LSU average. Most of those runs were Shrader running on busted plays. We didn't get very many rush yards on actual called rushes.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 10:10 PM
One reason I thought it was funny that Moorhead talked about us rushing for more than the LSU average. Most of those runs were Shrader running on busted plays. We didn't get very many rush yards on actual called rushes.

That's why I'm waaaay off his train. He pulls some crappy ass stats out like that to "show improvement". And does so when losing to KSU or TN type teams. He does that shit all the time while putting up anemic offensive stats as a whole and less than 10 pts.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:14 PM

WBB - Vic - asst
M Golf - Smith - asst

That is interesting. It shows me that overall we maybe need to look at trying to hire more established head coaches when you consider the success that Lemonis and Howland have had compared to that group overall.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Yeah because starting off down 10-3 in the second half is a better situation then starting the game 0-0.

I also think it's more difficult for some QB's to come in as the second guy. Shrader's worst performance was against K-State passing wise when he came in relief of Stevens and same with UT. I will say that he played well in relief against USM.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 10:19 PM
I also think it's more difficult for some QB's to come in as the second guy. Shrader's worst performance was against K-State passing wise when he came in relief of Stevens and same with UT. I will say that he played well in relief against USM.

Yep and Tommy Stevens ran with the ones both weeks in the lead up to the TN game so great job prepping our best QB to win a must win game.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Yep and Tommy Stevens ran with the ones both weeks in the lead up to the TN game so great job prepping our best QB to win a must win game.

Don't you think that is just pure, stupid ass coaching?

KB21
10-20-2019, 10:21 PM

This is a problem. Whether Garrett is starting or not, this team is not disciplined enough nor prepared enough to win more than maybe two games the rest of the year.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 10:25 PM

Shrader has gotten reps with the ones for the last 6 weeks.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Uh...that?s not been confirmed as of this weekend. He goes 4-8 and he is not confirmed to coach us next year. Rutgers or not. Will they actually fire him? I don?t know, but it is on the table and the discussion has happened.

No it was confirmed. I 100% know

Bothrops
10-20-2019, 10:35 PM
I'm anxious to see how we look Saturday. A&M has got problems, but we'd have to pour it on late in the game to beat them. We'll see how Joe handles all this pressure to win now.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Shrader has gotten reps with the ones for the last 6 weeks.

That was news to Shrader after the TN game when he was asked if it was tough to come into the middle of the game and it was revealed that Stevens had gotten all the reps with the ones all that week in preparation for the TN game. He’s now getting all the one reps and no one’s defense will be nearly as talented as LSU‘s was the rest of the way (except Bama’s). And as I stated before as long as Shrader starts the rest of the way we will be 6-6. If Moorhead gets cute and does this TSBS we will only win one game.

RougeDawg
10-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Let’s bring some objectionable rationale to this conversation. 7 or 61 could have won 9 games last year with the team we had. Any head coach with a beating pulse could have won 10.

Any coach mentioned would have given a testicle, or two, to get the team we had entering 2018. It was a pipe dream to launch a career and legacy. Hell I have not played football in 20 years and could have won 8 games last year not saying one single word, whilst drinking makers mark from Dawg Walk until 00:00.

The question is, who will win. Just who do we choose to win. Losing with the 2018 team took more work than winning with it. Why is this such a foreign concept? That’s what SloMo the clown did.

Just bring in someone who can drive the ship. It was already on the right path. Period.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:38 PM
We go 4-8 and he's gone. You can write it in blood.

nope. I will remove myself from this board for all of the off season so long as you remove yourself if I am right. Fact. He is not!

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:40 PM

Again.... At some point in time. All things come to and end. It will not be this year.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:41 PM

What the hell are you talking about. I'm simply stating he isn't being fire this year. Nothing more. Nothing less.

cheewgumm
10-20-2019, 10:41 PM
It would be interesting to see how it unfolds if we go Abilene and 4.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 10:43 PM
I'd check out Bret Venables.

Why does everyone keep saying Venables? He's never going to be a HC and has no desire to be the top dog. And if he were, he's not coming to State. I remember him being a hot name back when we hired Croom, but if he hasn't taken a head job in 15 years, why is he going to take one now? And at State? C'mon, mane.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Let’s bring some objectionable rationale to this conversation. 7 or 61 could have won 9 games last year with the team we had. Any head coach with a beating pulse could have won 10.

Any coach mentioned would have given a testicle, or two, to get the team we had entering 2018. It was a pipe dream to launch a career and legacy. Hell I have not played football in 20 years and could have won 8 games last year not saying one single word, whilst drinking makers mark from Dawg Walk until 00:00.

The question is, who will win. Just who do we choose to win. Losing with the 2018 team took more work than winning with it. Why is this such a foreign concept? That’s what SloMo the clown did.

Just bring in someone who can drive the ship. It was already on the right path. Period.

Nope. We have to be cute and our AD has to show everyone how much smarter he is than everyone else. The thing that makes me upset is it sounds like we could have had someone with some head coaching experience and honestly that's probably what we really needed and we gambled when we didn't have to.

What the hell are you talking about. I'm simply stating he isn't being fire this year. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Back tracking already on Joe definitely coming back? I don't think he'll be fired either- but I also don't think he will be back.

It would be interesting to see how it unfolds if we go Abilene and 4.

If that happens we will fire him. Nothing speaks more volumes than losing to Ole Miss. Even Dan didn't get an extension in part because he lost to them in 2015 and had he not been an established coach for us- that may have been enough for him to be fired. And we saw what happened to Croom. Felker lost to Ole Miss three years in a row and that was a big factor there as well.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 10:52 PM
That was news to Shrader after the TN game when he was asked if it was tough to come into the middle of the game and it was revealed that Stevens had gotten all the reps with the ones all that week in preparation for the TN game. .

I'm just telling you what people are practice have said. They were splitting reps with the 1's but Plastic Man was getting more.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Why does everyone keep saying Venables? He's never going to be a HC and has no desire to be the top dog. And if he were, he's not coming to State. I remember him being a hot name back when we hired Croom, but if he hasn't taken a head job in 15 years, why is he going to take one now? And at State? C'mon, mane.

I'd be concerned about hiring him because to me it would be like "why now"? Is he just trying to get a nice paycheck before he rides off in the sunset?

One thing about our next coaching search- you better believe that there will be a much bigger emphasis on how the new coach will handle team discipline. Which is where Cohen really failed miserably this time. And we'll probably get someone with some established head coaching experience- likely in the South. Which is something our fans and players need right now. Even with Dan there was some disconnect because of the North/South cultural differences.

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 11:02 PM

Not it’s not. You are just making it up, for who I don’t know because nobody on here believes you because you have no sources. It has been discussed if this season doesn’t turn around and we have a losing season, serious change may have to take place. His job is not 100% safe, no matter what and he has been told. Your little “Already Confirmed” false narrative just “Confirms” your childish delusion.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-20-2019, 11:05 PM
Here's some names off the top of my head. Not an exhaustive list, and many of them may not be interested anyway. I don't necessarily advocate everyone on the list.

Group 1 - Worth a call, but don't get your hopes up
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Bob Stoops

Group 2 - Potentially a solid hire (already head coaches)
Blake Anderson
Craig Bohl
Kendall Briles
Bill Clark
Dave Clawson
Luke Fickell
Willie Fritz
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel
Jay Hill (Weber State HC)
Lance Leipold
Seth Littrell
Jeff Monken
Billy Napier
Mike Norvell
Nick Rolovich
Jake Spavital

Group 3 - The Coordinators
Dave Aranda
Todd Grantham
Graham Harrell
Bob Shoop
Brent Venables

Group 4 - The Retreads
Gene Chizik
Sonny Dykes (fired by Cal, but was a terrible fit there)
Hugh Freeze (personally I'd rather keep Moorhead)
Mark Helfrich (37-16 / 24-12 Pac-12 with a playoff appearance)
Skip Holtz
Lane Kiffin
Jim McElwain (22-12 / 16-8 SEC with 2 division titles)
Willie Taggart (I know, but he's been good at other jobs)

Group 5 - Already have a good/better job and probably wouldn't come, but worth asking
Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
PJ Fleck
Mike Leach
Les Miles (OK, Kansas is an awful job, but I doubt he would leave them so soon for us)
Gary Patterson
Kyle Whittingham

Group 1,2,5 is what we need to look at..no experiments

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:06 PM
What the hell does this:

Originally Posted by Coach007 View Post

Have to do with THIS:

Back tracking already on Joe definitely coming back?

what exactly am I back tracking on????

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:09 PM
What the hell does this:

Have to do with THIS:

what exactly am I back tracking on????

Backtracking on Joe coming back.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 11:09 PM
I'd be concerned about hiring him because to me it would be like "why now"? Is he just trying to get a nice paycheck before he rides off in the sunset?

One thing about our next coaching search- you better believe that there will be a much bigger emphasis on how the new coach will handle team discipline. Which is where Cohen really failed miserably this time. And we'll probably get someone with some established head coaching experience- likely in the South. Which is something our fans and players need right now. Even with Dan there was some disconnect because of the North/South cultural differences.

That's an interesting point, but I don't think he's that type. My concern would be his personality. He's too emotional, imo.

I'm not that worried about the discipline issue. Any good coach is going to fix that. As I keep asking, and no one wants to discuss, is the S&C aspect. I'll never forget right after he was hired, might even have been in his introduction presser, Mullen talking about the importance of having a top notch S&C coach. Mullen said because of NCAA rules, your S&C coach is the most important coach on staff because he spends more time with the players than any coach. He then went out and hired Balis, Court, and I don't remember the 3rd one, but it was Court's protege, if I'm remembering correctly.

One of the primary criteria in hiring the next coach should be their list of potential S&C coaches. The S&C coach is the one who really builds the discipline and toughness within the team. The HC may set a vision, but it's the S&C coach that really executes it and makes it happen from a discipline & toughness aspect. If the HC candidates list of S&C coaches isn't solid, cross the HC candidate off the list.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Not it’s not. You are just making it up, for who I don’t know because nobody on here believes you because you have no sources. It has been discussed if this season doesn’t turn around and we have a losing season, serious change may have to take place. His job is not 100% safe, no matter what and he has been told. Your little “Already Confirmed” false narrative just “Confirms” your childish delusion.

Ok.. Then let's put my off season up next to yours. Like I said I don't do ban bets, but for this...... I will. You, C34, Ms7.... and a few others. I'm that willing. Are you?

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Backtracking on Joe coming back.

And this means what to you:

I'm simply stating he isn't being fired this year. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Really Clark?
10-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Ok.. Then let's put my off season up next to yours. Like I said I don't do ban bets, but for this...... I will. You, C34, Ms7.... and a few others. I'm that willing. Are you?

Sure thing. Spell out the bet

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Just put 007 on ignore. I have, and the board is so much better not having to see his trolling bullshit. Everyone needs to stop feeding his trolls, maybe he'll eventually go away. And if he isn't a troll (and I'd be shocked if he isn't), he's the classic MSU fan who can't separate supporting the coach from supporting the program. He was probably all in on Croom right up until he "resigned."

BuckyIsAB****
10-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Mike Norvell is 32-15 at Memphis and has a team that would beat anyone in MS, TN and Arkansas right now. He should be the first call after we knock the pipe dreams out of the way. The most likely hire is someone that hasnt been said yet bc Cohen just isnt going to hire someone who is a bigger hardass than him. Its who he is, I love Cohen but he isnt going to hire anyone that will tell him to piss off

CadaverDawg
10-20-2019, 11:17 PM

This post sums you up as a poster....

"I don't do ban bets"......"I'm willing" to do a ban bet, "are you?"

https://partycity6.scene7.com/is/image/PartyCity/_pdp_sq_?$_1000x1000_$&$product=PartyCity/178073

timotheus
10-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Mike Norvell is 32-15 at Memphis and has a team that would beat anyone in MS, TN and Arkansas right now. He should be the first call after we knock the pipe dreams out of the way. The most likely hire is someone that hasnt been said yet bc Cohen just isnt going to hire someone who is a bigger hardass than him. Its who he is, I love Cohen but he isnt going to hire anyone that will tell him to piss off

Agreed on all of this!

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:22 PM
That's an interesting point, but I don't think he's that type. My concern would be his personality. He's too emotional, imo.

I'm not that worried about the discipline issue. Any good coach is going to fix that. As I keep asking, and no one wants to discuss, is the S&C aspect. I'll never forget right after he was hired, might even have been in his introduction presser, Mullen talking about the importance of having a top notch S&C coach. Mullen said because of NCAA rules, your S&C coach is the most important coach on staff because he spends more time with the players than any coach. He then went out and hired Balis, Court, and I don't remember the 3rd one, but it was Court's protege, if I'm remembering correctly.

One of the primary criteria in hiring the next coach should be their list of potential S&C coaches. The S&C coach is the one who really builds the discipline and toughness within the team. The HC may set a vision, but it's the S&C coach that really executes it and makes it happen from a discipline & toughness aspect. If the HC candidates list of S&C coaches isn't solid, cross the HC candidate off the list.

Well, let's talk about that. S&C is absolutely one of the most important positions in the football program and I agree with you about the discipline and toughness being built through that. 100%. Cohen might get some of the blame there as he allegedly went cheap on S&C and it is absolutely killing us. It wouldn't surprise me because S&C was a major issue with baseball for years when he was the head coach until Lemonis came in and all of a sudden our players don't look "small" anymore. Joe should have pushed for better S&C on his end.

S&C does explain some of the regression that we have seen from proven players- namely on the o-line and LB corp as well as DE. Basically all the ones that require the most physicality probably.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:26 PM

Which is why I hope Cohen isn't making the decision. At least we have some history of doing this with the Howland hire. I would much rather Keenum make it since he actually played JUCO football so he probably knows better than Cohen what to look for in a football coach.

And whatever Norvell allegedly "did"- it certainly wasn't bad enough for Memphis to say that they need to go in another direction. Of course there are rumors about Memphis and Ole Miss boosters making up the rumors for different reasons- Memphis to keep him and Ole Miss to save face.

Bhandawg
10-20-2019, 11:30 PM
And this means what to you:

I'm simply stating he isn't being fired this year. Nothing more. Nothing less.

007 you simply have bad info. You might have been told as of now He's not being fired but I can assure you if he goes 4-8 with a loss to Ole Piss he WILL be fired no questions asked

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Sure thing. Spell out the bet

Sure.. You, C34, Ms7, Shotgun, Dawgday166, Coursesuper, Trapgame, Homedawg, dantheman4248, timotheus, pollodawg, bothrops, War machine Dawg, CadaverDawg and 99jc

You all have inside sources. So it should be easy right. 99 jc stated wheels were in motion and Moorhead was called to the AD's office. etc etc. So

1- If Moorhead is not FIRED at the end of the season, You all leave this board until the the 4th game of next season. That's not the WHOLE board... just this forum.

2- If he is FIRED, then I leave until the 4th game of next season. That's not the whole board.... just this forum.

3- If he leaves on his on.... We all stay and have a few drinks.

Deal?

timotheus
10-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Surely Norvell wasn't seeing as many women as hugh was in Oxford.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 11:33 PM
Well, let's talk about that. S&C is absolutely one of the most important positions in the football program and I agree with you about the discipline and toughness being built through that. 100%. Cohen might get some of the blame there as he allegedly went cheap on S&C and it is absolutely killing us. It wouldn't surprise me because S&C was a major issue with baseball for years when he was the head coach until Lemonis came in and all of a sudden our players don't look "small" anymore. Joe should have pushed for better S&C on his end.

S&C does explain some of the regression that we have seen from proven players- namely on the o-line and LB corp as well as DE. Basically all the ones that require the most physicality probably.

Nailed it. When it comes to S&C coaches, you generally get what you pay for. Splash the cash and hire someone who's going to make us tough and physical again.

And this is another reason I'm not real happen with Cohen as AD. He's letting his experiences as a baseball coach color how he approaches the AD job. They're very, very different jobs. You can't go around micromanaging your coaches. Ask them what they need, what it's going to cost, do whatever you need to make the resources available for them, then get the hell out of their way.

Really Clark?
10-21-2019, 12:01 AM
Sure.. You, C34, Ms7, Shotgun, Dawgday166, Coursesuper, Trapgame, Homedawg, timotheus, pollodawg, bothrops, War machine Dawg, CadaverDawg and 99jc

You all have inside sources. So it should be easy right. 99 jc stated wheels were in motion and Moorhead was called to the AD's office. etc etc. So

1- If Moorhead is not FIRED at the end of the season, You all leave this board until the the 4th game of next season. That's not the WHOLE board... just this forum.

2- If he is FIRED, then I leave until the 4th game of next season. That's not the whole board.... just this forum.

3- If he leaves on his on.... We all stay and have a few drinks.

Deal?

You seem to have a problem comprehending what I have posted (specifically in this thread) and said you have posted falsely about. You have said that no matter what he will not be fired, it?s ?Already Confirmed?. That?s not true. He has not been told his job is safe no matter what and specifically I stated that if he finishes 4-8 it has been discussed that his job is in jeopardy. That is not confirming his job is safe, like you continuously state. He has been told this. I have not tried to state something unknown...that he will be definitely fired at the end of the season without the season playing out. At no point have I said otherwise. You will have to add a record caveat to the bet, it?s too open otherwise. And I will let you have the same that he stays. That makes it a gamble because right now I know it?s a discussion and have not tried to paint a false narrative that he is safe no matter what.

Make it that if he finishes 4-8 and I gamble that he is fired. I know that they haven?t stated he is definitely fired at that point but it is definitely already been discussed. He is not confirmed to be here No matter what (despite what you falsely assert) and he has been told that 4-8 and his job is not secure.

I can?t speak for others.

BhamDawg205
10-21-2019, 12:04 AM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

What no Clark, Fritz, or Briles ( think he fits what SloMo was trying to do, but still call Mullen type offense)?

Todd4State
10-21-2019, 12:24 AM
Nailed it. When it comes to S&C coaches, you generally get what you pay for. Splash the cash and hire someone who's going to make us tough and physical again.

And this is another reason I'm not real happen with Cohen as AD. He's letting his experiences as a baseball coach color how he approaches the AD job. They're very, very different jobs. You can't go around micromanaging your coaches. Ask them what they need, what it's going to cost, do whatever you need to make the resources available for them, then get the hell out of their way.

And totally different animals as far as sports and athletes. Especially in college baseball where most of the players are having to be smart enough to get academic scholarships to pay for their school.

Coach007
10-21-2019, 12:26 AM
You seem to have a problem comprehending what I have posted (specifically in this thread) and said you have posted falsely about. You have said that no matter what he will not be fired, it?s ?Already Confirmed?. That?s not true. He has not been told his job is safe no matter what and specifically I stated that if he finishes 4-8 it has been discussed that his job is in jeopardy. That is not confirming his job is safe, like you continuously state. He has been told this. I have not tried to state something unknown...that he will be definitely fired at the end of the season without the season playing out. At no point have I said otherwise. You will have to add a record caveat to the bet, it?s too open otherwise. And I will let you have the same that he stays. That makes it a gamble because right now I know it?s a discussion and have not tried to paint a false narrative that he is safe no matter what.

Make it that if he finishes 4-8 and I gamble that he is fired. I know that they haven?t stated he is definitely fired at that point but it is definitely already been discussed. He is not confirmed to be here No matter what (despite what you falsely assert) and he has been told that 4-8 and his job is not secure.

So you are stating you want this added to it:

4-8 and he is fired vs me stating 4-8 and he is not fired?

dantheman4248
10-21-2019, 12:27 AM
This guy really thinks his 1 person not posting equals 10 people not posting. The ego of this guy. Gotta be Cohen’s brother or something.

Really Clark?
10-21-2019, 12:42 AM
So you are stating you want this added to it:

4-8 and he is fired vs me stating 4-8 and he is not fired?

Yeah that’s fine

timotheus
10-21-2019, 12:47 AM

I totally agree with reallyclark

Coach007
10-21-2019, 01:31 AM
I totally agree with reallyclark

Good. As Soon as everybody agrees, We will put it in it's own topic. Ask it to be locked. So we are waiting on the rest.

RiverCityDawg
10-21-2019, 06:07 AM
Good. As Soon as everybody agrees, We will put it in it's own topic. Ask it to be locked. So we are waiting on the rest.

I'll put my name on that. If we go 4-8 he's not here next year.

Coursesuper
10-21-2019, 06:20 AM

I have asked you once already in this thread, confirmed by who? John Cohen, Mark Keenum, The head of Farm Bureau, the Easter Bunny, Santa, the Great Pumpkin, who?

timotheus
10-21-2019, 07:18 AM
I believe there a certain question that this guy 007 cannot touch.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
10-21-2019, 07:30 AM
My list would be:

(In no particular order)

Lane Kiffen
Matt Rhule
Billy Napier
Matt Campbell
Dave Clawson

If you're going to make Urban say no, shouldn't we make the same offer to Lincoln Riley too?

KB21
10-21-2019, 08:21 AM

S&C is where your toughness and discipline are built.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 08:44 AM
If you're going to make Urban say no, shouldn't we make the same offer to Lincoln Riley too?

A little different since Urban doesn't have a job and Riley is with a blue blood. I would think $6 Mil is more than Urban is currently making whereas Riley is probably making that at Oklahoma. I would offer Urban and Bob Stoop to see if either wants to come back to coaching. Then go down your list of coaches.

TrapGame
10-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Me too. We finish 4-8 and he's gone.

Coach34
10-21-2019, 08:48 AM

I dont understand the comparision.

Riley has one of the best jobs in the country and is employed
Urban was basically told to retire and get out of Ohio State because of scandal, cant be hired at certain programs now, and is without a coaching job.

Really Clark?
10-21-2019, 09:09 AM
I have asked you once already in this thread, confirmed by who? John Cohen, Mark Keenum, The head of Farm Bureau, the Easter Bunny, Santa, the Great Pumpkin, who?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6ZtcgJjDXYmGwBJC/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a3cc9f8f235dcfc9958b7cd71215e 9842ce29ce8e&rid=giphy.gif

Maroonthirteen
10-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Urban Myer...... LMFAO

Hugh Freeze.... anyone suggesting Hugh Freeze should go immediately to Whitfield.

Liverpooldawg
10-21-2019, 10:05 AM
If we have to make another hire after just two years, we will have our work cut out for us. If we buy him out, which I don't think we can/will do, it will be doubly hard. We also better get it right because the next guy in that case will almost certainly get four years no matter what.

ScottH
10-21-2019, 10:19 AM
We also better get it right.

Cohen gets a pass on Moorhead but he is tied at the hip to the next guy.