PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- LSU is Always Winnable With O as Coach Edition

Coach34
10-20-2019, 10:33 AM
1. A 5 game win streak and a beautiful Saturday morning. 12 oz filet with zucchini spears and homemade cream corn on tap for the evening. A fresh bottle of Tito's. Nothing, and I mean nothing was going to ruin my Saturday.

2. Being an offensive guy- I usually always start there but I am going to go with the D first today. Shoop had a pretty good gameplan and the guys got after it. Our DL has played better the last 2 weeks- the young guys are getting better. We made it tough on LSU. But the coverage lapses and talent gap finally took its toll. 33 points scored in Q's 2 and 3. I do give the D credit for playing hard to the end. We played them as well as anybody to this point- altho we were at home so that was to be expected.

3. 7 points yesterday offensively. 7 from our offensive genius until right at the end in garbage time against back-ups. Northwestern State scored 14 on them in the 1st half. Vandy put 24 on them. Florida scored 28 in BR with their 2nd and 3rd team QB's. We were at home and scored 7 points when it mattered. Had 270 yards offensively when we started that garbage drive to end the game.

92nd in the country in Scoring Offense
94th in the country in Total Offense

Only 1 person to blame for that.

4. Shrader is a leader and going to become a very good QB. I love the way he is able to make people miss. Not everybody can do that. Threw a couple of picks but that is going to happen with a young QB. But that is now 3 in the last game and a half against SEC defenses. Something to watch as we go on the road this week against a D that is top half in the SEC.

5. We are too easy to scout. One lesson JoVester is being taught is with his use of formations and personnel. If you remember when he first got here, he bragged about how he rarely changed personnel and formations. His offense was built to just take advantage of what the Defense did. He is slowly realizing teams in the South play D and have athletes all over. We got stuffed on the opening drive on 3rd and 1 and then 4th and 1. QB made the right run read- they just committed more to the box. At some point he is going to learn that lesson that changing personnel to get a damn yard aint a bad thing. Get another TE in the game on short yardage- its ok to do that buddy. We stayed with 3 WR's/1 TE on both plays and got stuffed. Southern defenses dont mind going man and committing to the box. Thats not going to change.

6. It was nice to see some jet motion in the offense yesterday. Now if we could only get some quick screens and other easy throws to go with it.

7. Kylin Hill has alot of talent. But Hill has some growing up to do both on and off the field. Below par in pass pro, too much running for the sideline, body language during games, searching your name on Twitter to respond to random people....just some things that need correcting.

8. 1st Q possessions on O? Turnover on downs, punt, fumble. 3rd Q possessions? 3 and out, 3 and out, 5 plays and a pick. So we dont start the game well offensively nor do we come out of the locker room well after making adjustments. Make of that what you will.

9. Dont give me and BS about QB injuries or what not, our HC created this whole mess when he brought Stevens in.

10. Here's the bottom line- JoVester's offense simply isn't getting it done. Mullen's O with Fitz at QB was in the 40's. JoVester's offense with Fitz at QB was in the 70's- and JoVester ran Fitz even more than Mullen did. JoVester's offense this year with Plastic Man/Shrader is in the 90's- Running that QB at the same pace. Shrader had 19 carries yesterday. Shrader had 13 carries in a half vs Tenn. Shrader had 16 vs Auburn and didnt start the game. Fitz averaged about 15 carries per game under Mullen. So the whole "Joe doesnt use his QB at a battering ram" narrative is gone- as well as the "Fitz didnt make the reads and just kept it himself" also. Shrader is running the ball just as much as Fitz did.

11. We go to A&M Saturday and have yet to look even decent on the road against a team with a pulse. So there's that to look forward to this week.

12. Lastly, JoVester got loud and showed his frustration after the game yesterday in the press conference. This was not a rebuild. The "going the right direction" and "building something" crap doesnt fly. You were handed a veteran team that went 9-4 the season before and you ****ed that up. Being a perennial bowl team was already built. Now all we heard was you needed your QB's and everything would be fine. Well no- thats a lie also. We are better at WR this year and you have your QB's- we are 92nd in the country in offense. It's getting worse- not better. This isnt the right direction. This is the wrong ******* direction.

HailState

AROB44
10-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Can't believe I'm typing this and God forgive me, but I agree on everything except Kylin. I think he is overrated and is an average back. I think Gipson is better and Weatherspoon will be also.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Can't believe I'm typing this and God forgive me, but I agree on everything except Kylin. I think he is overrated and is an average back. I think Gipson is better and Weatherspoon will be also.

Concur.

maroonmania
10-20-2019, 10:51 AM
94th in the country in Total Offense

HailState

Wow, only 6 spots away from being right back in the Croom Zone. This is getting BAD.

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 10:53 AM
12 is the program summed up

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Wow, only 6 spots away from being right back in the Croom Zone. This is getting BAD.

But then we had a composite 4-year recruiting avg in the 50s and now it’s in the 20s. This roster is waaaay more talented. The offensive production we’re getting is criminal. It’s worse than Croom.

TrapGame
10-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Another good one 34. #12 is spot effing on.

Dental Dawg33
10-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Good post. I have never been overly impressed with Hill and a lot of that immaturity off the field doesn?t help. Never been a fan of someone that talks about how good they are.
We have one more win on the schedule I can see. Arkansas is a coin flip at best. OM is going to beat us at home with what I see currently. Overheard someone trying to excuse this years performance by saying even if things went well it works be a mediocre year. False. We realistically could/should have been set for a 7-8 win regular season with a chance at a bowl win. Now we are staring down the barrel of a very possible 4 win season. I defended JoMo (mainly bc I didn?t want to believe how bad he is) until the tenn game this year. Enough is enough. Time to call a spade a spade. He?s underachieving and that?s being nice.

BeardoMSU
10-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Hard to argue with any of that.

defiantdog
10-20-2019, 11:22 AM
We're currently 70th in total defense to match us being 94th in total offense. A little comparison, Croom's average total offense percentage in 5 years was 108% while his total defense was 57%. We're not almost to the Croom years, we're right back in them. Jackie may have left Croom with crap, but Dan didn't leave Joe high and dry. Yes, we're young in certain spots but so are other teams that aren't struggling like we are.

missouridawg
10-20-2019, 11:28 AM
12. Lastly, JoVester got loud and showed his frustration after the game yesterday in the press conference. This was not a rebuild. The "going the right direction" and "building something" crap doesnt fly. You were handed a veteran team that went 9-4 the season before and you ****ed that up. Being a perennial bowl team was already built. Now all we heard was you needed your QB's and everything would be fine. Well no- thats a lie also. We are better at WR this year and you have your QB's- we are 92nd in the country in offense. It's getting worse- not better. This isnt the right direction. This is the wrong ******* direction.

HailState

That moron doesn?t see it and it?s terrifying to see him try to lay out all the reasons why it isn?t working yet.

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 11:41 AM
We're currently 70th in total defense to match us being 94th in total offense. A little comparison, Croom's average total offense percentage in 5 years was 108% while his total defense was 57%. We're not almost to the Croom years, we're right back in them. Jackie may have left Croom with crap, but Dan didn't leave Joe high and dry. Yes, we're young in certain spots but so are other teams that aren't struggling like we are.

You’re exactly right. Croom was no football scheming genius by any means but he inherited arguably the worst roster in the SEC. It was either us or Vandy. JoMo is putting up similar metrics with a far far far superior roster.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Kylin Hill is the football version of Lamar Peters.

timotheus
10-20-2019, 11:50 AM
good post 34. all truth

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Yep ... I hadn't said it but have thought it. Guidry been the same way .. just go back to his recruitment and the signs were there. I will say he actually caught some passes for a change yesterday.

Anytime you let primadonnas run your team, you got problems. In hoops, you may not have options. In football you should have an option. We got 2 this year ... Gibson & Witherspoon.

msudawg1200
10-20-2019, 11:58 AM
I think this is the first time I?ve pretty much agreed with everything C34 says. Hey, at least Joe is bringing us all together. Point 12 with Joe makes my blood boil. As C34 stated there was no rebuild needed. I remember either after UK or UF last year Ol? Sloppy was on Finebaum spewing this same rebuild and culture change bs when Paul hit him with the old ?Change? You inherited the 2nd best team in the SEC West. All you had to do was not screw it up?. I knew then Sloppy wasn?t going to work. Also, watching Joe try to get fired up and pissed on the sideline was such a joke. You could tell it was an act and contrived. Please, Rutgers come get your coach. You know you want him.

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Nobody in football does more unnecessary hurdling on 2 yard runs in football. And then stands up like behold my excellence peasants. I just get sick of his incessant need for razzle dazzle, east west running, self glorification, and need for attention on social media. You can’t deny the talent. If dude would just grow up, learn how to pass block, and make the right play instead of a highlight attempt, he could be an early round guy.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 12:07 PM
10. Here's the bottom line- JoVester's offense simply isn't getting it done. Mullen's O with Fitz at QB was in the 40's. JoVester's offense with Fitz at QB was in the 70's- and JoVester ran Fitz even more than Mullen did. JoVester's offense this year with Plastic Man/Shrader is in the 90's- Running that QB at the same pace. Shrader had 19 carries yesterday. Shrader had 13 carries in a half vs Tenn. Shrader had 16 vs Auburn and didnt start the game. Fitz averaged about 15 carries per game under Mullen. So the whole "Joe doesnt use his QB at a battering ram" narrative is gone- as well as the "Fitz didnt make the reads and just kept it himself" also. Shrader is running the ball just as much as Fitz did.

HailState

https://media.tenor.com/images/039b76f457e474fccd92a26f5562393d/tenor.gif

shoeless joe
10-20-2019, 12:44 PM
You’re exactly right. Croom was no football scheming genius by any means but he inherited arguably the worst roster in the SEC. It was either us or Vandy. JoMo is putting up similar metrics with a far far far superior roster.

Be careful...i upset some folks last nite when I made the same point

1bigdawg
10-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Be careful...i upset some folks last nite when I made the same point

I thought Coach was too early to judge last year. I thought everyone was too early to jump on the Joe can't "head coach" bandwagon. Maybe, but y'all were all correct.

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Nothing to disagree with in that post. Another thing is we have inflated our ranking by running up the score against bad teams. It is obvious that Joe's offense doesn't cut it against good teams.

MD2020
10-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Great post 34. Get Jomo out of here! I think after another unprepared/motivated team this week his fate will be sealed. I learned early in sports that winning and losing are both contagious. You could see bad body language of losing from offensive players Saturday.

Commercecomet24
10-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Nobody in football does more unnecessary hurdling on 2 yard runs in football. And then stands up like behold my excellence peasants. I just get sick of his incessant need for razzle dazzle, east west running, self glorification, and need for attention on social media. You can?t deny the talent. If dude would just grow up, learn how to pass block, and make the right play instead of a highlight attempt, he could be an early round guy.

Very good points. He leaves so many yards on the table by dancing, bouncing hurdling, going east west. Heck man just put your foot in the ground and go sometimes!

Coursesuper
10-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Very good points. He leaves so many yards on the table by dancing, bouncing hurdling, going east west. Heck man just put your foot in the ground and go sometimes!

Y’all are right, he’s just a me player.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 08:49 PM
3. This is the first time all year that LSU?s defense has been fully healthy. They have been missing about five guys and just got a few back last week but were full go this week. With that said, we had hit some big plays early but there were some questionable officiating that brought back at least two plays that I saw. I do not like Joe?s offense though and think in order for it to be effective you need a hell of a lot of talent at every position. We do have a Dak like QB in Shrader so whoever we get next as the HC needs to have an offense that?s going to utilize his strengths. We better hope JoMo wins those 3 easy as hell games he has left to get to 6-6 because we aren?t going to fire him after two years.