PDA

View Full Version : ?If you don?t see the improvement you?re blind?-Sly Croom

Indndawg
10-20-2019, 06:29 AM
I'm sure this will be this week's theme

MetEdDawg
10-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Is it an untrue statement after yesterday?

shoeless joe
10-20-2019, 06:53 AM

I didn’t see the improvement in areas that need it most...namely discipline.

msstate7
10-20-2019, 06:53 AM

Closing line was 19.5
S&p+ line was 13.9

We've now gotten less than 350 total yards in 3 of 4 sec games

Maroonthirteen
10-20-2019, 07:05 AM
LSU is so much bigger stronger and faster than State... hard to take away anything from yesterday.

The remaining games (except Bama) will tell the tale.

MetEdDawg
10-20-2019, 07:16 AM
We asked Joe to open the playbook. He did.

We asked the team to play more physical. We did.

I can sort of understand the yards argument but a damn offensive PI on the reverse flea flicker and an ineligible lineman downfield cost us 100 yards and phenomenal field position twice.

The penalties sucked. But a lot of borderline calls that don't always get called got called on us. Class starts excludes. Those hurt pretty bad.

Overall if you make a definitive statement off yesterday then there's nothing Joe can do for you period. Forna team scoring 51 points a game, 19 points was generous as hell for a line to that game and we all know that. It's a terrible metric to use for evaluating a coach or team.

Overall we played better and if we had played like that we beat Tennessee. We improved.

I'm still not defending Joe. I'm just defending sane, rational judgment which our fan base seems to be lacking. If we can him at the end of the season I'm fine. But he deserves to let this better effort to potentially show the rest of the season

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 07:17 AM

What Joe said was, “This program is headed in the right damn direction” and folks are reminded of the old Croom quote. So no it’s not a true statement that we’re headed in the right direction. We’re backsliding faster than Hugh Freeze in a massage parlor.

MetEdDawg
10-20-2019, 07:33 AM
What Joe said was, “This program is headed in the right damn direction” and folks are reminded of the old Croom quote. So no it’s not a true statement that we’re headed in the right direction. We’re backsliding faster than Hugh Freeze in a massage parlor.

OP didn't say anything about that quote. If he did it would be a different discussion because that statement by Joe I can't defend at the moment.

Although I will say that the fact some of these younger guys are doing as good or better than the older guys at least gives us hope that the talent will be there going forward if Moorhead does in fact stay.

Cowbell
10-20-2019, 07:39 AM
There was better effort at times yesterday but I saw the same lack of coaching red flags. Penalties that cost us countless yards. Confusion on both sides of the ball. Experienced Oline getting man handled. Out of shape and it really showed the second half. Hill shaking his head after every play. Receivers not being physical. Oh and more penalties. This team is not disciplined. Not in shape. And confused way too much.

TrapGame
10-20-2019, 07:57 AM

We should not have to ask for this in game 7 of the season. This should have been game one on. And for Joe to actually admit he ran a much more physical practice last week, which he has not done, should be another red flag.

There was better effort at times yesterday but I saw the same lack of coaching red flags. Penalties that cost us countless yards. Confusion on both sides of the ball. Experienced Oline getting man handled. Out of shape and it really showed the second half. Hill shaking his head after every play. Receivers not being physical. Oh and more penalties. This team is not disciplined. Not in shape. And confused way too much.

There were flashes of improvement. We still lack a physical identity. Joe saw how physical and fast SEC defenses are last year. This is year two and we are less physical than last year. This brain over brawn coaching mentality is sure death in a conference like the SEC.

BeastMan
10-20-2019, 08:09 AM
OP didn't say anything about that quote. If he did it would be a different discussion because that statement by Joe I can't defend at the moment.

Although I will say that the fact some of these younger guys are doing as good or better than the older guys at least gives us hope that the talent will be there going forward if Moorhead does in fact stay.

I didn’t respond to the op. He’s right because I’ve seen that quote everywhere. When you said is it true, I thought you were conflating the 2. Now I see you weren’t.

MetEdDawg
10-20-2019, 08:23 AM
We should not have to ask for this in game 7 of the season. This should have been game one on. And for Joe to actually admit he ran a much more physical practice last week, which he has not done, should be another red flag.

There were flashes of improvement. We still lack a physical identity. Joe saw how physical and fast SEC defenses are last year. This is year two and we are less physical than last year. This brain over brawn coaching mentality is sure death in a conference like the SEC.

While I agree we are less physical this year don't you think some of that might be attributed to the fact that Jenkins, Abram, Sweat, Simmons, and Fitz are possibly the most physical players at their positions that ever walked on our campus?

Our team lacks physical leadership because a lot of it went to the NFL. So I'm not shocked this team is less physical, especially considering how many freshmen are playing.

Offensively I understand the frustration about the lack of physicality. Sounds like Joe didn't understand how to do things in the SEC. What you have to do to become physical. I would assume, based on his background, that his philosophy is that knowledge allows you to execute at a higher level and beat your opponent. That has to change and if he in fact was practicing inside more and moved outside this week that at least shows some ability to adapt.

He's got more to learn. A lot more. It's clear his lack of experience in the SEC has lowered our ceiling. Question is can he adapt? Sounds like a few things have changed. They won't change much here on out this year. By week 7 you pretty much are what you are. Hard to make drastic changes. So if we go 6-6, win a bowl game, maybe we can salvage this thing and get Moorhead to make some additional changes to be successful.

I still think what he wants to do offensively is the style we have to have to be successful. Mullen's style had a ceiling at MSU. We have to be able to pass and hit the deep ball. But we can't execute it well right now. Maybe he's not the right guy to do it, but I think stylistically what he's trying to do is where we have to be.

R2Dawg
10-20-2019, 08:27 AM
We asked Joe to open the playbook. He did.

I can sort of understand the yards argument but a damn offensive PI on the reverse flea flicker and an ineligible lineman downfield cost us 100 yards and phenomenal field position twice.

The penalties sucked. But a lot of borderline calls that don't always get called got called on us. Class starts excludes. Those hurt pretty bad.

Overall if you make a definitive statement off yesterday then there's nothing Joe can do for you period. Forna team scoring 51 points a game, 19 points was generous as hell for a line to that game and we all know that. It's a terrible metric to use for evaluating a coach or team.

Overall we played better and if we had played like that we beat Tennessee. We improved.

I'm still not defending Joe. I'm just defending sane, rational judgment which our fan base seems to be lacking. If we can him at the end of the season I'm fine. But he deserves to let this better effort to potentially show the rest of the season

Totally agree Met. Also thought playcalling was better much of the game until some pathetic calls took away momentum we had.

CoachT14
10-20-2019, 08:35 AM

One game of slight improvements in certain areas, doesn't change the multitude of other games where all of those elements were just plain pitiful. An outlier doesn't change anything. As the old saying goes, a blind squirrel finds a nut everything now and then.

Want to change my mind? Bring the effort and then some every game the rest of the season, win or lose. We can talk suspensions, recruiting deficits, and talent deficits as excuses... just play hard and smart for 20 more quarters and we can talk, until then I'm square on the Joe needs to leave wagon. Oh and start sitting players when they don't perform up to that standard. I.E. Hill, Landrews, Thompson, Lewis, and others.

MD2020
10-20-2019, 08:50 AM
We scored one TD against their starters and one against their backups. The second half their offense lit us up. We played one competitive half of football.

MetEdDawg
10-20-2019, 08:57 AM
One game of slight improvements in certain areas, doesn't change the multitude of other games where all of those elements were just plain pitiful. An outlier doesn't change anything. As the old saying goes, a blind squirrel finds a nut everything now and then.

Want to change my mind? Bring the effort and then some every game the rest of the season, win or lose. We can talk suspensions, recruiting deficits, and talent deficits as excuses... just play hard and smart for 20 more quarters and we can talk, until then I'm square on the Joe needs to leave wagon. Oh and start sitting players when they don't perform up to that standard. I.E. Hill, Landrews, Thompson, Lewis, and others.

No one said change mind. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. We all want better. The effort was better and the play calling was better. Doesn't undo anything. I'm just asking the fan base to be objective about yesterday. We saw some things we wanted to see last week and did it against a better team after losing a shit game to Tennessee.

I just want the fan base to be objective about yesterday. We lost by 23 to a team that could be the best team in the country with a depleted roster. Yesterday shouldn't sway anyone one way or another.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Everything boils up to the HC.

Strength/Speed – Poor job by S&C Coach … however HC should be making sure the effort is being put in here and it’s tough effort (oh, I forgot that effort isn’t coached at this level). Obviously Joe was unaware of the S&C effort .. and that’s a no-no as a SEC HC. He should have his finger on the pulse of every aspect of his program.

Toughness – Stay outta the Seal Complex. It’s a luxury, not a requirement. Stay outside I don’t care if it’s 0 or 100 degrees or light rain. Go inside when it’s a monsoon/thunderstorm only. Practice in pads about 1/3 of time at a minimum. Football is an outside sport. If you want a full-time air-conditioned office job go get one. The HC of an SEC team coaches out in the elements.

Joe likes to be comfortable. Whether it’s from a fan’s/reporter’s questions, to sweating, to working hard, etc. Joe isn’t “blue collar”. His dad was. He’s an English major and a Professor/Intellectual PhD type. He’s an analyst schemer … not a football coach.

Mental Preparation – Joe made a comment in PC about how LSU used some blitzes he hadn’t seen before and he had watched all their tape from this year. He says something along these lines about every game we lose. More used car salesman BS from him. He was hired for his intellect and he’s failing miserably:

1) I question whether that is true or not. Why would LSU pull out some extra wrinkles for our weak ass team? They should be saving those for Bama/Tua. They can beat us easily without them.

2) Let’s say #1 is true. Joe was hired to out X and O more than anything the other team. Football before the game is a chess match. Can he not anticipate possible counter moves while taking into account LSU personnel. Any half-way decent DC eats his lunch.

3) So he watched no tape at all going back to last year? That’s interesting. His QC folks didn’t wade through the tape to see what Aranda had done in the past?

4) In game adjustments are a high speed chess match. We have never been able to adjust in-game to wrinkles thrown at the offense. Not even with last year’s talented/senior laden/experienced team. Joe fails miserably at this. He can’t think at the speed level of an SEC game.

Add to this his Oline coach sucks.

I also question if, when watching tape, Joe can visualize his athletes against other team’s athletes. IMO he is not seeing things he should be seeing when watching tape like personnel mismatches/matchups. So, either he can’t see it or he’s not watching enough tape.

TrapGame
10-20-2019, 09:14 AM
No one said change mind. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. We all want better. The effort was better and the play calling was better. Doesn't undo anything. I'm just asking the fan base to be objective about yesterday. We saw some things we wanted to see last week and did it against a better team after losing a shit game to Tennessee.

I just want the fan base to be objective about yesterday. We lost by 23 to a team that could be the best team in the country with a depleted roster. Yesterday shouldn't sway anyone one way or another.

Playing better against LSU was okay and the bright spots were encouraging. They and Bama are not measuring sticks for this team. I think most of the chapped hides come from not seeing this level of physicality and focus in more winnable games like KSU and Tennessee.

Arkansas is the game though. The Egg Bowl is a rivalry game and anything can happen. It's a different animal all together. Arkansas is a terrible team. They are probably the worst team in the SEC now. Vandy showed improvement. Tennessee seems improved. We are still flailing trying to find an identity. Yet, we are much better than Arkansas. So, if we become the Hogs' only SEC win this season Joe needs to go somewhere else. And it was mentioned by Horka that if we lose to Arkansas it will put certain things in motion in the athletic department.

TrapGame
10-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Everything boils up to the HC.

Strength/Speed – Poor job by S&C Coach … however HC should be making sure the effort is being put in here and it’s tough effort (oh, I forgot that effort isn’t coached at this level). Obviously Joe was unaware of the S&C effort .. and that’s a no-no as a SEC HC. He should have his finger on the pulse of every aspect of his program.

Toughness – Stay outta the Seal Complex. It’s a luxury, not a requirement. Stay outside I don’t care if it’s 0 or 100 degrees or light rain. Go inside when it’s a monsoon/thunderstorm only. Practice in pads about 1/3 of time at a minimum. Football is an outside sport. If you want a full-time air-conditioned office job go get one. The HC of an SEC team coaches out in the elements.

Joe likes to be comfortable. Whether it’s from a fan’s/reporter’s questions, to sweating, to working hard, etc. Joe isn’t “blue collar”. His dad was. He’s an English major and a Professor/Intellectual PhD type. He’s an analyst schemer … not a football coach.

Mental Preparation – Joe made a comment in PC about how LSU used some blitzes he hadn’t seen before and he had watched all their tape from this year. He says something along these lines about every game we lose. More used car salesman BS from him. He was hired for his intellect and he’s failing miserably:

1) I question whether that is true or not. Why would LSU pull out some extra wrinkles for our weak ass team? They should be saving those for Bama/Tua. They can beat us easily without them.

2) Let’s say #1 is true. Joe was hired to out X and O more than anything the other team. Football before the game is a chess match. Can he not anticipate possible counter moves while taking into account LSU personnel. Any half-way decent DC eats his lunch.

3) So he watched no tape at all going back to last year? That’s interesting. His QC folks didn’t wade through the tape to see what Aranda had done in the past?

4) In game adjustments are a high speed chess match. We have never been able to adjust in-game to wrinkles thrown at the offense. Not even with last year’s talented/senior laden/experienced team. Joe fails miserably at this. He can’t think at the speed level of an SEC game.

Add to this his Oline coach sucks.

I also question if, when watching tape, Joe can visualize his athletes against other team’s athletes. IMO he is not seeing things he should be seeing when watching tape like personnel mismatches/matchups. So, either he can’t see it or he’s not watching enough tape.

This reminds me of the story about the Saints coaches going back to film of Kellen Moore's days at Boise State realizing he's using the same offensive signals. That's doing your homework.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:37 AM
This reminds me of the story about the Saints coaches going back to film of Kellen Moore's days at Boise State realizing he's using the same offensive signals. That's doing your homework.

Joe and his offensive staff especially are country clubbing. He responds only when the fanbase gets up in arms, then he gets pissed/defensive. He's an intellectual who doesn't like to be questioned. Only when fanbase gets pissed does he roll up his sleeves and work harder.

Some of the mistakes and fading of effort later in game can be attributed to out of shape/toughness.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:35 AM
While I agree we are less physical this year don't you think some of that might be attributed to the fact that Jenkins, Abram, Sweat, Simmons, and Fitz are possibly the most physical players at their positions that ever walked on our campus?

Our team lacks physical leadership because a lot of it went to the NFL. So I'm not shocked this team is less physical, especially considering how many freshmen are playing.

Offensively I understand the frustration about the lack of physicality. Sounds like Joe didn't understand how to do things in the SEC. What you have to do to become physical. I would assume, based on his background, that his philosophy is that knowledge allows you to execute at a higher level and beat your opponent. That has to change and if he in fact was practicing inside more and moved outside this week that at least shows some ability to adapt.

He's got more to learn. A lot more. It's clear his lack of experience in the SEC has lowered our ceiling. Question is can he adapt? Sounds like a few things have changed. They won't change much here on out this year. By week 7 you pretty much are what you are. Hard to make drastic changes. So if we go 6-6, win a bowl game, maybe we can salvage this thing and get Moorhead to make some additional changes to be successful.

I still think what he wants to do offensively is the style we have to have to be successful. Mullen's style had a ceiling at MSU. We have to be able to pass and hit the deep ball. But we can't execute it well right now. Maybe he's not the right guy to do it, but I think stylistically what he's trying to do is where we have to be.

I don’t have a problem with his scheme. I don’t think I even have too much of a problem with his play calling either. At least not more than any other coach.

My problems are the fact that the team appears to not respect him, and his team lacks discipline. To your point about the 100 yards of offense that we left on the field- they were left on the field because of poor discipline and fundamentals.

Playing hard and playing with discipline is expected from me as a fan. It’s not something that I’m going to pat the team on the back for.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:53 AM
What Joe said was, ?This program is headed in the right damn direction? and folks are reminded of the old Croom quote. So no it?s not a true statement that we?re headed in the right direction. We?re backsliding faster than Hugh Freeze in a massage parlor.

We are not. We won't. Joe is not going anywhere.

Mullen had his lows due to his own recruiting habits. Joe inherited that. We did not hire Moorhead to run Mullen's offense. Fitz was a Sr and could not run it. Moorhead went out and got a future QB that could with intent to RS shirt him and brought in a QB that knew his system and we saw what it could be. Injuries happen. now a true freshman had to step up.

We graduated every leader off the defense and had a ton of guys graduate. Add to that the suspensions of what was suppose to be the new leaders... field generals. Add to that even more issues due to the mullen cycle. This isn't falling off the cliff. This is what it is.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 10:55 AM
I don’t have a problem with his scheme. I don’t think I even have too much of a problem with his play calling either. At least not more than any other coach.

My problems are the fact that the team appears to not respect him, and his team lacks discipline. To your point about the 100 yards of offense that we left on the field- they were left on the field because of poor discipline and fundamentals.

Playing hard and playing with discipline is expected from me as a fan. It’s not something that I’m going to pat the team on the back for.

His team lacks respect for him! LMAO!!!!!! Not even CLOSE.

Coursesuper
10-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Mullen had his lows due to his own recruiting habits. Joe inherited that. We did not hire Moorhead to run Mullen's offense. Fitz was a Sr and could not run it. Moorhead went out and got a future QB that could with intent to RS shirt him and brought in a QB that knew his system and we saw what it could be. Injuries happen. now a true freshman had to step up.

We graduated every leader off the defense and had a ton of guys graduate. Add to that the suspensions of what was suppose to be the new leaders... field generals. Add to that even more issues due to the mullen cycle. This isn't falling off the cliff. This is what it is.

Your right this isn't falling off the cliff it's already over the edge, next stop the bottom.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 10:56 AM

Are we going 7-4 now instead of 11-1?

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 10:56 AM

None of that has anything to do with discipline and playing hard.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Your right this isn't falling off the cliff it's already over the edge, next stop the bottom.

It sucks to have a down year due to a former coach not balancing recruiting. Moorhead is fixing that. This is simply the Mullen cycle with the added bonus of suspensions.

Locker room is fine.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:06 AM
None of that has anything to do with discipline and playing hard.

It does. Freshman makes mistakes.

- A freshman QB isn't going to see everything happening on the field.
- Freshmen DTs are not going to be perfect
- Freshmen CBs are not going to be perfect.

And playing uptight is common for first timers in college. You are literally watching them settle in at the midway point of the season and play at a higher rate.

cheewgumm
10-20-2019, 11:06 AM
007, how many years should Moorhead get, given the unfairness of the hand he was dealt?

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 11:07 AM
It sucks to have a down year due to a former coach not balancing recruiting. Moorhead is fixing that. This is simply the Mullen cycle with the added bonus of suspensions.

Locker room is fine.

Roster sucked at times this bad under Mullen. He never approached this level of anemic offensive bullshit. Your guy is lazy and terrible at game planning too.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:11 AM
It does. Freshman makes mistakes.

- A freshman QB isn't going to see everything happening on the field.
- Freshmen DTs are not going to be perfect
- Freshmen CBs are not going to be perfect.

And playing uptight is common for first timers in college. You are literally watching them settle in at the midway point of the season and play at a higher rate.

Then how do you explain the mostly upperclassmen making the mistakes? Junior at RB, 2 seniors and a junior at WR, Sr at TE, 2 Sr, 3 juniors on o-line with another senior heavily rotated in...and on defense 1 Sr and a Jr at DE, a Sr and Jr at LB, a Senior at nickel, a Sr and Jr at safety and a Jr at CB. We’re only starting four freshmen and all of them play with more disciple and effort than our upperclassmen.

CoachT14
10-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Look man, I think I speak for everyone here who is against Moorhead, (at least most of us) we know there are legitimate issues with recruiting, depth, etc. Most of us know that's going to effect the win/loss column. We aren't upset with that.... do we think some of the players are more talented than we are currently seeing? You bet. Do we think the depth is as big an issue as you make it out to be? No.

Our concern is the fact that Moorhead's "culture" so far is horrendous. From an outsider's perspective to what goes on, there doesn't seem to be an accountability for lack of effort on the field.
1. Minimal Effort players continue to be allowed to play and wreak havoc throughout the game.
2. Players are allowed to continue to play even if they are completely out of line towards coaches/teammates/opposing players.
3. We are the worst out of shape football I've ever seen us have... there's no excuse for that.
4. There is no toughness/chip-on-your shoulders atmosphere and sorry we aren't a blue blood, we can't afford not to have that.
5. We rarely make adjustments on the offensive side of the ball and that is ridiculous at this level.

Overall, there is no game time accountability to live up to the Championship Standard that JOMO preaches about. And at the end of the day, if you're only punishment for not doing your job on Saturday is a bit of running (if that) then you can't/won't change your behavior. You have to take something the kids want away nowadays, punishment running works for few and far between. And guess what? They want playing time and if you continue to give that to them despite not living up to the verbalized expectation it is all for naught. This to me is the biggest problem. Forget the supposed recruiting issues, the depth from suspensions, and even the uninspired playcalling.... the lack of accountability for players is the biggest issue and exactly why I want Moorhead gone. He won't fix that in one game, and for me it's too far gone to change the standard he set. And it's obvious that JOMO didn't hold his players accountable from the very beginning and it's going to be extremely difficult a year and a half later to change that.

There's a great quote that says "What you allow, you encourage."

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:12 AM
007, how many years should Moorhead get, given the unfairness of the hand he was dealt?

Seven.**

cheewgumm
10-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Hahahah

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Who said it was unfairness? It is what it is.

Like I have told you before. He get's the opportunity. The WHOLE picture should be evaluated and logic with demands should dictate what happens. The truth is what happened happened. So if you want to seriously talk about it, I'm more than happy to start a thread.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Roster sucked at times this bad under Mullen. He never approached this level of anemic offensive bullshit. Your guy is lazy and terrible at game planning too.

He made a bowl with a losing season in year 8.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Look man, I think I speak for everyone here who is against Moorhead, (at least most of us) we know there are legitimate issues with recruiting, depth, etc. Most of us know that's going to effect the win/loss column. We aren't upset with that.... do we think some of the players are more talented than we are currently seeing? You bet. Do we think the depth is as big an issue as you make it out to be? No.

Our concern is the fact that Moorhead's "culture" so far is horrendous. From an outsider's perspective to what goes on, there doesn't seem to be an accountability for lack of effort on the field.
1. Minimal Effort players continue to be allowed to play and wreak havoc throughout the game.
2. Players are allowed to continue to play even if they are completely out of line towards coaches/teammates/opposing players.
3. We are the worst out of shape football I've ever seen us have... there's no excuse for that.
4. There is no toughness/chip-on-your shoulders atmosphere and sorry we aren't a blue blood, we can't afford not to have that.
5. We rarely make adjustments on the offensive side of the ball and that is ridiculous at this level.

Overall, there is no game time accountability to live up to the Championship Standard that JOMO preaches about. And at the end of the day, if you're only punishment for not doing your job on Saturday is a bit of running (if that) then you can't/won't change your behavior. You have to take something the kids want away nowadays, punishment running works for few and far between. And guess what? They want playing time and if you continue to give that to them despite not living up to the verbalized expectation it is all for naught. This to me is the biggest problem. Forget the supposed recruiting issues, the depth from suspensions, and even the uninspired playcalling.... the lack of accountability for players is the biggest issue and exactly why I want Moorhead gone. He won't fix that in one game, and for me it's too far gone to change the standard he set. And it's obvious that JOMO didn't hold his players accountable from the very beginning and it's going to be extremely difficult a year and a half later to change that.

There's a great quote that says "What you allow, you encourage."

Mike Leach said you’re either coaching it or allowing it. Not sure if he’s the original. But you nailed my feelings regardless l.

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Who said it was unfairness? It is what it is.

Like I have told you before. He get's the opportunity. The WHOLE picture should be evaluated and logic with demands should dictate what happens. The truth is what happened happened. So if you want to seriously talk about it, I'm more than happy to start a thread.

The whole picture says we are undisciplined and poorly coached.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 11:15 AM
He made a bowl with a losing season in year 8.

I said anemic offensive bullshit --- production/points dumbass.

defiantdog
10-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Locker room is fine.

Where are the improvements? Where is he filling holes?

Coach007
10-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Then how do you explain the mostly upperclassmen making the mistakes? Junior at RB, 2 seniors and a junior at WR, Sr at TE, 2 Sr, 3 juniors on o-line with another senior heavily rotated in...and on defense 1 Sr and a Jr at DE, a Sr and Jr at LB, a Senior at nickel, a Sr and Jr at safety and a Jr at CB. We’re only starting four freshmen and all of them play with more disciple and effort than our upperclassmen.

You need to be more specific.

Are we talking blocking by Hill?

The wr play is above what it was last year. But again, they all looked good in the system with a QB that knows it. An Injury happened. Now you have a TF at QB who is not seeing everything. We have had a few breakdowns by them. Less dropped passes.

The OL, their pass blocking is improving. Their run blocking has not been up to par. Again, what mistakes are we talking about?

On defense... the DT play has suffered due to what I stated. Bad DT play will make LBs look bad. But again, we are seeing improvements.

Again, your question is a huge paint brush. Specifically what are we talking about.

- and you just stated that Moorhead's recruits are playing more disciplined than Mullen's. Is that right?

NCDawg
10-20-2019, 11:48 AM
We scored one TD against their starters and one against their backups. The second half their offense lit us up. We played one competitive half of football.

Yeah, if they had kept Burrow in the whole game, it would have been much worse. Our OL sucks more than anything. We have zero running game except for Shrader. The OL gets pushed around and can't open any running lanes. Hill doesn't stand a chance because as soon as he gets the ball, the defense hits him.

War Machine Dawg
10-20-2019, 12:02 PM

I'll take it a step further. He's created a major hole at the most important position on the field in QB. Bringing in Stevens when he was completely unneeded instead of trying to coach up KT & Moose has us in a position where we won't have a scholarship QB on the roster to backup Shrader next season after KT & Moose transfer in December. That alone is going to set us back years trying to fix. The guy inherited one of the better QB situations in the SEC and made it one of the worst. It's coaching malpractice to screw up your QB room that badly, imo.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Really? You don't see a problem when we are having to start freshmen DTs because there are no So or Jrs and the SR is suspended? You don't think it's a huge issue when you have to move a DL to OL due to injuries on the OL in a season.. ? Those issues are massive.

Recruiting by Mullen has been horrible for this type of offense. Because Mullen's offense is NOT Moorhead's. Where are the NFL WRs? So again, in 1 year, reasonable expectations are that we see improvements in completed passes and better WR play. We have seen that.

What DT is he going to replace Lovett or Crum with? I saw Brule on the field. He got burned. I mean.. give some examples because the truth is we are thin in a lot of places. Just so we are on the same page... When you say "Culture" in context with accountability for effort, I assume you mean benching a player for it. Right?

Examples... Early in the season, I explained that alot of it was youth and lack of experience showing up as lack of effort. A second of doubt blows up for big yards for the opposing team. Same is true for the Offense. I saw Hill do that yesterday.

I have not seen anybody get out of line with a coach nor teammates. Unless you have PROOF of that, stop assuming emotions on a sideline is anything more than frustration at one's self. Opposing players?? I'm sorry this is football. I don't expect our players to bend over.... or build a camp fire pass around a smoke while expressing their love for eachother. Yesterday, our OL literally was shoving their DL around at the beginning. What did LSU players do? Literally started shoving after plays, got pissed and started getting after it. Our OL shouldn't take that. They don't have to fight, but backing down is not acceptable.

No we aren't. It's a myth. Something created by people trying to explain why a LB like Thompson is not getting to a play that wasn't even his responsibility or the fact that the OL is smacking freshmen DTs and getting to the second level.

Again, lack of leadership and youth exposing itself early on. We are now trending out of that phase. Without suspensions, this defense would be way different. You would have the Vocal Gay and Autry helping the freshmen. Brule would not be on the field as much. ETC...

Disagree. The QB situation played a part. The calls are a bit different with Shrader.

msugolf
10-20-2019, 12:07 PM
I'll take it a step further. He's created a major hole at the most important position on the field in QB. Bringing in Stevens when he was completely unneeded instead of trying to coach up KT & Moose has us in a position where we won't have a scholarship QB on the roster to backup Shrader next season after KT & Moose transfer in December. That alone is going to set us back years trying to fix. The guy inherited one of the better QB situations in the SEC and made it one of the worst. It's coaching malpractice to screw up your QB room that badly, imo.

It's so depressing. I feel exactly the same way I did in the Croom era. No hope going forward and a feeling of wandering in the desert for a couple of years. I've completely lost interest in MState football to the same point of where people lost interest in men's basketball.

cheewgumm
10-20-2019, 12:09 PM

Locker room is fine.

Did you really predict that we would be 11-1 this season? If so, why if you knew we were is such bad shape from Mullen?s recruiting?

timotheus
10-20-2019, 12:20 PM
If Mullen didn't balance the roster recruiting wise then what has JoMO done to the QB depth for us next season? If Shrader goes down the forst game next year, who comes in? We must be gonna bring in a guru backup from somewhere?

Coach34
10-20-2019, 12:49 PM
That’s the funniest part of all this rebuilding year narrative BS 007 is trying to spew now. He thought we were easily a 10 win team this year. And to top it off- next year is going to be the rebuilding year. We will not be better next year with the losses we are going to have at DE, Safety, CB, OL.

NCDawg
10-20-2019, 12:59 PM
That’s the funniest part of all this rebuilding year narrative BS 007 is trying to spew now. He thought we were easily a 10 win team this year. And to top it off- next year is going to be the rebuilding year. We will not be better next year with the losses we are going to have at DE, Safety, CB, OL.

I don't think it's possible the OL could be any worse.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Fitz under Mullen was the same as under Moorhead. Shrader just threw for 61% and Stevens before injury was 72%. Our RB was running well due to the passing game working. Our WRs are not dropping the passes like they were. They are running better routes. It's not what it should be but better. Everyone here complained about that position under Mullen. And we all know it.

That position has to be improved via recruiting and growing through the system.

Filling the holes... LOL. Example, DL. He went heavy HS last year. Those guys have 3 and 4 years left. Examples.. Pickering.. Crum, Lovett, Russell, Jones, Ani..etc. This year, he is adding to it some JUCOS... but not heavy. He is adding Davis, Lawson and Key. That promotes a steadiness not a roller coaster. If he continues this trend we won't graduate a complete 2 deep DL.

Another example.. RBs. Here was the hole: 5 RBs on roster. 2 would be graduating and 1 is a walk on. There wasn't one for the 2018 class lined up either. That is horrible situation. Right now, we have 7 with a couple of 4 star RBs(both of which state Moorhead's relationship with them is the deciding factor). Of those 7... Murphy is done due to injury, Gibson graduates, and Hill could go pro. That's improvement in quality and numbers. The taking of Walker may prove to be huge next year.

The leveling of the Roster is a must or we will keep on a roller coastering

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 01:09 PM

Our Oline has sucked with experienced, physical guys the last 2 years. Next year a lotta turnover. And regardless of who Oline coach is, including Hevesy who can coach Olinemen, there is a difficult transition there usually. So our offense will probably be even more woeful next year.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 01:13 PM

No he didn't. He needs a QB for his system, and nobody expects him to just not go out and recruit that. To my Knowledge, Moose is not transferring and put himself in the position he is in by suspensions. We JUST had a poster talking about kids not being held accountable. Make up your minds on what's what.

QB position:

1- Nobody knew Stevens would get injured. KT was injured and that would have put it back on Sharder either way you go. But it was the right move for the staff and team. and before the injury, it was great.

2- YES, we will have scholarship QBs on the Roster:

- Mayden
- Rogers
- and a transfer via portal.

SO long as Moorhead continues to recruit like this and not lose any more games than Mullen did in year 8.... He will get his time.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Did you really predict that we would be 11-1 this season? If so, why if you knew we were is such bad shape from Mullen?s recruiting?

I will never pull against my team. Period.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 01:15 PM
If Mullen didn't balance the roster recruiting wise then what has JoMO done to the QB depth for us next season? If Shrader goes down the forst game next year, who comes in? We must be gonna bring in a guru backup from somewhere?

I have already answered that

Coach007
10-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Our Oline has sucked with experienced, physical guys the last 2 years. Next year a lotta turnover. And regardless of who Oline coach is, including Hevesy who can coach Olinemen, there is a difficult transition there usually. So our offense will probably be even more woeful next year.

5 Srs
2 Jrs
a lot of So.... including a 5 star he signed.

Coach34
10-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Mayden and KT are gone unless a coaching change is made