PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2019, 11:09 PM
I've seen a lot of anger on the board following this game, but I honestly wasn't embarrassed today. Today was actually what I thought we should've looked like in this rebuilding year considering Tutor gate. I thought we competed & at least tackled better & played with a better level of physicality. I can live with today knowing we are young at many positions & in transition. I can't live with Auburn or Tennessee.

- Today's game has nothing to do with saving JoMo's job IMO. JoMo's job comes down to Arkansas & Ole Miss IMO. Win them both & get to a bowl, & he's obviously back next year. Lose both & he's gone. Lose to Arkansas & beat OM, he probably gets another year but will be on the hot seat. Beat Arkansas in a sloppy game & get beat by Ole Miss, & the trigger could be pulled at 5-7.

- I think the defensive line is clearly making progress. I thought we created good pressure today on LSU & played one of our better games on the DL. It's something to build on.

- I think Garrett Shrader is going to be awesome for us, but we've got to get a running game going to help him out. We've got a QB for the next 3.5 years though & I honestly think he's going to save Moorhead's job for better or worse. His awareness & pocket mobility are legit. I also thought he threw some awesome passes today. Honestly he's a better athlete than Joe Burrow & not far behind in accuracy. Burrow is just more polished.

- I think Kylin Hill is the most overrated RB we've had in years. I realize his measurables are good, but there is a missing component. Nobody turns a 5 yard gain into a 2 yard gain quicker than Kylin. He runs high & just lacks that burst of vision to fall forward & get those extra 2-3 yards like Aeris, JRob, & Ballard could. He gets going sideways & is tripped up. I realize the OL wasn't very good, but there were still opportunities that he just doesn't capitalize on. I know some will disagree with me here, but I just don't see it.

- We lack offensive speed in the worst way. We are slow at WR & Kylin doesn't have great speed. Ole Miss sucks, but because of Ealy, Moore, & Plumlee, they are dangerous due to speed. We MUST upgrade our speed on offense if we're going to make any progress in Moorhead's scheme. You simply can't miss on Ealy, Plumlee, Dannis Jackson, etc every.single.year. It was painful to see the difference in athleticism, size, & speed in LSU's skill players vs ours. It's embarrassing that we can't recruit better at those positions.

- The offense is clearly better with Shrader & I believe we'd be 5-2 after today if Shrader just would've started from game 1. But it's really JoMo's fault beginning with the K-State game. We gave away 2 winnable games because we were trying to appease a grad transfer.

- The officials in this conference when playing a blue blood just don't give you chance. I'm not in any way blaming them for the loss, but in the 2nd quarter, there were some awful no calls when we were on offense & ticky tack calls with us on defense that essentially removed any chance we had of building momentum. The games just aren't being called fairly. The refs can basically decide who wins & loses in this sport. They threw some flags late in the game to make the total not look so lopsided, but when the game was still in doubt, MSU couldn't buy fairness.

- I thought tackling was better today.

- Overall, I'm disappointed that we couldn't muster more than 13 points, but I thought the culture & style of play was better today & something to build on. However, what concerns me about Moorhead is that I have absolutely no faith that today's effort, tackling, & physicality will make the road trip to College Station or Fayetteville & that's the problem. When I start seeing the effort I saw today on a game to game basis, then I'll have more flexibility on giving Moorhead more time to get the right WRs in here to run his offense. My reasoning for wanting Moorhead gone ASAP is that believe the culture of the program in falling apart. Today looked better, but against the #2 team in the country on CBS isn't the right time to evaluate that. At 11:00 AM in Fayetteville & College Station is the right time to evaluate that.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2019, 11:14 PM
We did look better this week. That's about what we should do against the #2 team. It's probably the first game this year that we have done what we should do. I agree about the Swine and Confederates. Win those two and The Abiline game and Joe should get another year. I said 7-5, with 6-6 being more likely than 8-4 going in. I think he is going to get another year no matter what from us, if the buyout is what it seems to be.

msstate7
10-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Sigh... we were 12th in the sec in total offense entering the game at 376.2 yards per game; we had 340 today. 90 of the 340 were on the last td drive when the game was over. With 3:22 left in the game, we had 250 total yards. We are an abysmal offensive team

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Sigh... we were 12th in the sec in total offense entering the game at 376.2 yards per game; we had 340 today. 90 of the 340 were on the last td drive when the game was over. With 3:22 left in the game, we had 250 total yards. We are an abysmal offensive team

You stack the box against us, still. It ain't rocket surgery. We NEED receivers.

msstate7
10-19-2019, 11:25 PM
You stack the box against us, still. It ain't rocket surgery. We NEED receivers.

We need a coach

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2019, 11:26 PM
We need a coach
You have a player coach in mind that can get open and CATCH a football?

BeardoMSU
10-19-2019, 11:32 PM
With 3:22 left in the game, we had 250 total yards. We are an abysmal offensive team

Joe is a....
G: query ring sizes
E: engage fans
N: neglect emotionally
I: inspire hope
U: upend expectations
S: suck chrome off trailer hitch...

Irondawg
10-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Agree on Hill for for sure - he ran harder last year and earlier this year. Makes me wonder if he's got a banged up shoulder or something. He's pretty contact adverse right now. I'd give Gibson more chances as he's looked good in limited time.

The biggest difference he see in Burrow and GS when you compare the two is all the extra arm motion in GS deliver compared to have compact and quick Burrows gets the ball out.

We had some changes to generate more offense that just didn't happen. The pass the Mitchell that was broken up was 2 second late getting there. If it's delivered on time he might score. We had the bad offensive PI call that took us out of scoring chance and then we didn't get the PI call on LSU later. Given they were loading the box I thought we didn't do a good enough job of finding the 1:1 matchup and tossing up some 50/50 balls.

Coach007
10-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Going point for point:

- Today's game has nothing to do with saving JoMo's job IMO. JoMo's job comes down to Arkansas & Ole Miss IMO. Win them both & get to a bowl, & he's obviously back next year. Lose both & he's gone. Lose to Arkansas & beat OM, he probably gets another year but will be on the hot seat. Beat Arkansas in a sloppy game & get beat by Ole Miss, & the trigger could be pulled at 5-7.

He won't be fired this year. It will create a very BAD situation with the roster... and I mean WORSE than what it is now.

- I think the defensive line is clearly making progress. I thought we created good pressure today on LSU & played one of our better games on the DL. It's something to build on.

The game is catching up for sure. And what we are looking at on the DL is great... And as you can see, It's a spread out group. No roller coaster in a few years.
- Lovett
- Crum
- Pickering
- Love
- Jackson
- Spencer
- Jones
- Russell
- Odom

Mix that with incoming:

- Davis
- Lawson
- Key

- I think Garrett Shrader is going to be awesome for us, but we've got to get a running game going to help him out. We've got a QB for the next 3.5 years though & I honestly think he's going to save Moorhead's job for better or worse. His awareness & pocket mobility are legit. I also thought he threw some awesome passes today. Honestly he's a better athlete than Joe Burrow & not far behind in accuracy. Burrow is just more polished.

He needs help. We have to have more WRs. But yes... 61% against LSU. But he will set records here.

- I think Kylin Hill is the most overrated RB we've had in years. I realize his measurables are good, but there is a missing component. Nobody turns a 5 yard gain into a 2 yard gain quicker than Kylin. He runs high & just lacks that burst of vision to fall forward & get those extra 2-3 yards like Aeris, JRob, & Ballard could. He gets going sideways & is tripped up. I realize the OL wasn't very good, but there were still opportunities that he just doesn't capitalize on. I know some will disagree with me here, but I just don't see it.

I don't know that he is over rated. I know today he ran with reservation rather than just hitting a hole. But LSU hasn't been allowing much all year. The OL is not run blocking well... you are right.

- We lack offensive speed in the worst way. We are slow at WR & Kylin doesn't have great speed. Ole Miss sucks, but because of Ealy, Moore, & Plumlee, they are dangerous due to speed. We MUST upgrade our speed on offense if we're going to make any progress in Moorhead's scheme. You simply can't miss on Ealy, Plumlee, Dannis Jackson, etc every.single.year. It was painful to see the difference in athleticism, size, & speed in LSU's skill players vs ours. It's embarrassing that we can't recruit better at those positions.

Then I don't get the hate of Moorhead. He is clearly answering those things. Witherspoon 10.85-second 100-meter dash time, 40-yard dash time in the 4.4-second range. He is also recruiting bigger targets with speed. He's way ahead of Mullen with receivers.

- The offense is clearly better with Shrader & I believe we'd be 5-2 after today if Shrader just would've started from game 1. But it's really JoMo's fault beginning with the K-State game. We gave away 2 winnable games because we were trying to appease a grad transfer.

That's really hard to say. I get that when Stevens was healthy, it was the best it's looked and if you can save a redshirt. I get it. Not to mention, the defense was not what it was early on.

- The officials in this conference when playing a blue blood just don't give you chance. I'm not in any way blaming them for the loss, but in the 2nd quarter, there were some awful no calls when we were on offense & ticky tack calls with us on defense that essentially removed any chance we had of building momentum. The games just aren't being called fairly. The refs can basically decide who wins & loses in this sport. They threw some flags late in the game to make the total not look so lopsided, but when the game was still in doubt, MSU couldn't buy fairness.

The refs marched the LSU Tigers into our redzone with 2 flags in a row.

- Overall, I'm disappointed that we couldn't muster more than 13 points, but I thought the culture & style of play was better today & something to build on. However, what concerns me about Moorhead is that I have absolutely no faith that today's effort, tackling, & physicality will make the road trip to College Station or Fayetteville & that's the problem. When I start seeing the effort I saw today on a game to game basis, then I'll have more flexibility on giving Moorhead more time to get the right WRs in here to run his offense. My reasoning for wanting Moorhead gone ASAP is that believe the culture of the program in falling apart. Today looked better, but against the #2 team in the country on CBS isn't the right time to evaluate that. At 11:00 AM in Fayetteville & College Station is the right time to evaluate that.

Locker room united. The young guys are no longer waiting on the Willie Gays to step in and step up. They have needed leadership. I still don't see that single leader, but I see a lot of young guys stepping up.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2019, 12:22 AM
We need a coach

We do but it won't make much difference until we have speed

Todd4State
10-20-2019, 12:31 AM

Some of that is on S&C. Not all. But enough where it could be a difference against a Tennessee or someone like that.

NCDawg
10-20-2019, 12:54 AM
I don't think it's Hill's fault. Our OL gets zero push against the opposition's DL, and it has been that way almost all season-especially in these last 3 games. I don't think any RB could do much of anything running behind this OL.

Dawgtini
10-20-2019, 01:03 AM
I've seen a lot of anger on the board following this game, but I honestly wasn't embarrassed today. Today was actually what I thought we should've looked like in this rebuilding year considering Tutor gate. I thought we competed & at least tackled better & played with a better level of physicality. I can live with today knowing we are young at many positions & in transition. I can't live with Auburn or Tennessee.

- I thought tackling was better today.

BlAh Noah. Whatever. You?re correct that shredder is the man. And shut...what a wall of text. Take a break. Ladies like you. Need it.

TimberBeast
10-20-2019, 01:12 AM

Absolute nonsense as usual

shoeless joe
10-20-2019, 06:23 AM
I thought this game made jomo look bad as usual. It’s 9-7 and then we start playing jomo ball...penalties and blown coverages...which of course equal lack of discipline.

Indndawg
10-20-2019, 06:32 AM
This thing is set up for a JWS-91 and a Don Merkins-09. Good young talent needing a coach to lead this team

Indndawg
10-20-2019, 06:34 AM
OUr OL looks to be bad outta shape. Kind of like 08

Maroonthirteen
10-20-2019, 07:28 AM
I agree with most of that. As I said below, the remaining games will determine if JoMo is doing anything with this team. We should have won 10 Last year. We should be at least 4-3 at this point.

Hill suffers from no blocking. None.

RiverCityDawg
10-20-2019, 07:36 AM

Good post, shotgun. I don't completely agree with your Kylin take, but he certainly had a bad game so not going to try and argue against him being overrated today.

Otherwise, a lot of great points, particularly your last summary statement. I agree completely with this. We've seen some of our better teams lose to top 5 teams by the margin we lost to LSU today. The 13 penalties and blown assignments were a big problem, but I'm still willing to flush the game and move on.

Problem is we haven't shown the ability to muster enough give-a-shits on the road to look competent. A&M is not a good football team, but I'm fully expecting half-assery in addition to the turnovers and the excessive penalties we saw against LSU, which will result in no-doubt loss in College Station. If we then repeat that in Fayetteville the experiment should be over. We have the talent in our roster to beat KSU, UK, UT, A&M, Ark & ole miss. I'm not saying we should win all those, but if by about 10pm on Thanksgiving night we've only beaten 1 or 2 of those teams how can we possibly believe we are going in the right direction and Joe can turn it around? We can't.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Chad Morris will be 0-13 in the SEC when they play us. Auburn played like shit and still beat them 51-10. We will beat Arkansas and AC and at worst will be going into the EB 5-6. At this point, OM at best will be 4-7 going into the EB. If we play Shrader the rest of the way, we will be 6-6 at worst. If Sloppy Joe gets the itch and puts Stevens back in all bets are off. That’s what this season will come down to imo.

TNDawg35
10-20-2019, 08:50 AM
I thought Witherspoon ran the ball better than Kylin. Kylin thinks he is faster than what he actually is. That damn stutter step he does isn?t worth a shit.

ShotgunDawg
10-20-2019, 08:53 AM
I thought Witherspoon ran the ball better than Kylin. Kylin thinks he is faster than what he actually is. That damn stutter step he does isn?t worth a shit.

Kylin just struggles to get skinny. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it seems as if RBs either have it or they don't. It's an instinct of sorts.

Aeris, JRob, and Ballard could always get 3-5 yards when nothing seemed to be there. Those types of RBs are critical to have if you don't have a HR speed threat.

You got to be one or the other.

Playing Kylin over Aeris last year was unforgivable IMO. Kylin is a super athlete but has he ever been on a good team going back to HS? We can make all the excuses in the world for him, but at some point you have ask if he's a winning player.

Joe is so hell bent on explosive plays that he's lost sight of the fact that this team doesn't have the speed for explosive plays. They are built to get 4 yards and grind it out.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:06 AM

If he went north and south more, he’d be fine. He did too much dancing and juking. That isn’t going to work against defenses that have elite speed like LSU does.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Kylin just struggles to get skinny. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it seems as if RBs either have it or they don't. It's an instinct of sorts.

Aeris, JRob, and Ballard could always get 3-5 yards when nothing seemed to be there. Those types of RBs are critical to have if you don't have a HR speed threat.

You got to be one or the other.

Playing Kylin over Aeris last year was unforgivable IMO. Kylin is a super athlete but has he ever been on a good team going back to HS? We can make all the excuses in the world for him, but at some point you have ask if he's a winning player.

Joe is so hell bent on explosive plays that he's lost sight of the fact that this team doesn't have the speed for explosive plays. They are built to get 4 yards and grind it out.

Lol nice graphic but what is e-juice? I do like Sloppy Joe especially games where we had 109 penalty yards at home. I like Sleepy Joe the best. This guy reminds me more of Rick Ray then Croom though.

Pollodawg
10-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Dan would have lost that game the exact way Moorhead did. So would any other coach here. This one ain?t on Joe. We looked better yesterday than we?ve looked all season.

MarketingBully
10-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Dan would have lost that game the exact way Moorhead did. So would any other coach here. This one ain?t on Joe. We looked better yesterday than we?ve looked all season.

This reminds me of 2013 and Joe finally has decided Garrett is the guy and we had same situation with Dak in 2013. In fact, there was a graphic in yesterday’s game that showed big time similarities between Garrett and Dak’s first 78-80 passes and runs. Garrett is definitely the future and has a bright one here ahead.

msstate7
10-20-2019, 09:23 AM

At the 3:22 in 4th mark, we had 250 yards, 11 penalties for 109 yards (7 more than our rushing total), and 3 TOs. Even after the garbage td, we got less yards than any of their P5 opponents including vandy. All their other P5 opponents scored at least 28 on them including vandy. You guys have gotten so used to pathetic offensive performances now that you can't even recognize how bad it is. Jeez

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:23 AM
If he went north and south more, he’d be fine. He did too much dancing and juking. That isn’t going to work against defenses that have elite speed like LSU does.

He's not much of a north/south runner either. Goes down too easily. He's Trent Richardson without the Oline that gets him 7 yds or more downfield untouched.

Jim Brown said Richardson was soft and would never make it in the league. Jim Brown knows RBs.

tcdog70
10-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Hill, for sure isn't running like the first 3 games. But where he is killing us is His pass pro. He whiffs 80% of the time. I would rather have him running a pass route. Put a TE back to pass protect. If you counting Hill to block then you are screwed.

dawgday166
10-20-2019, 09:44 AM

I did too. A little early to tell but I liked what I've seen so far. And Witherspoon has also tried to make a couple of blocks when in there. He may have some hunger within him.