PDA

View Full Version : Cohen get to work.

Cowbell
10-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Get somebody new in here tomorrow. This is a fire out of control and there is a lot of potential collateral damage. Just cut the cord no matter the buyout.

Fader21
10-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Who are you going to get to agree to a job tomorrow? No current head coach that has a winning record in any level is going to entertain it right now and people like Brady won't either who is in contention for a National Championship. All you can do is put feelers out and hope nobody in the media catches wind of it.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2019, 05:56 PM
He’ll settle for some crap coach from a nothing conference now. Cohen sucks ass at making hires.

Bothrops
10-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Any football hire at MSU has at least a 50 percent change of being disastrous.

MetEdDawg
10-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Can't make a determination off today. We knew LSU was substantially better than us. Defense was pretty salty today except for a couple big plays Moorhead showed some creativity on offense.

Fumble, a couple true freshmen throws, and some questionable/tough offensive penalties (the PI and OL downfield cost us 100 yards of offense on just those 2 plays) prevented it from being closer.

Moorhead improves today in effort and play calling. We got beat but not manhandled. Not saying that's good but it's better than where we were.

Rick Danko
10-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Get somebody new in here tomorrow. This is a fire out of control and there is a lot of potential collateral damage. Just cut the cord no matter the buyout.

Shut up stupid

Bothrops
10-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Can't make a determination off today. We knew LSU was substantially better than us. Defense was pretty salty today except for a couple big plays Moorhead showed some creativity on offense.

Fumble, a couple true freshmen throws, and some questionable/tough offensive penalties (the PI and OL downfield cost us 100 yards of offense on just those 2 plays) prevented it from being closer.

Moorhead improves today in effort and play calling. We got beat but not manhandled. Not saying that's good but it's better than where we were.

Yeah but Joe would never beat teams like LSU or Bama, even if you gave him several years to try and try. That's how I look at it.

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 06:14 PM

So I'm gonna say I did some some positive stuff today. I just don't think Moorhead can repeatedly instill into the team the 1st half type effort and also get them to sustain it for a season.

TrapGame
10-19-2019, 06:17 PM

If Joe keeps this up we have a decent shot at 6-6. We can't get bulldozed by Ark and OM.

MetEdDawg
10-19-2019, 06:18 PM
So I'm gonna say I did some some positive stuff today. I just don't think Moorhead can repeatedly instill into the team the 1st half type effort and also get them to sustain it for a season.

This to me is why I'm not on the get rid of Moorhead now train. I'm still ok if it happens end of the year but I think we need to give Joe the rest of the year to see what changes are made.

We've asked him to adapt. I think clearly today he showed the willingness. Offense looked different for a sizable portion of the game. Energy level was better. That's what we wanted and that's what we got.

Question now is can he do that more consistently and can it pay off against teams that are actually beatable? That's what we find out of the next 5 games excluding Bama

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
This to me is why I'm not on the get rid of Moorhead now train.

We've asked him to adapt. I think clearly today he showed the willingness. Offense looked different for a sizable portion of the game. Energy level was better. That's what we wanted and that's what we got.

Question now is can he do that more consistently and can it pay off against teams that are actually beatable? That's what we find out of the next 5 games excluding Bama

IMO Joe is a PhD type. He thinks brilliance is what wins football games and he also thinks he's more brilliant than everyone else.

Joe also isn't "blue collar" as he says he is. His Dad and family were. Our team practices in the Seal Complex most of time. This week we didn't. To get towards upper tier of SEC teams you gotta get outta your comfort zone. That means rolling up your sleeves, making it tough on the team and yourself. I don't think Joe will do that for too long.

In other words ... much more country clubbing than Mullen and his crew ever did.

CoachT14
10-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Completely agree, today was much better across the board from an effort perspective, but the problem is this was a complete outlier. Not to mention, the same players who continually give minimal effort continued to play.

Positives:
-Effort as a whole increased for the team.
-Guidry played much better than he has.
-Shrader is going to be legit, he's still a freshman though.
-Minus the safeties and several broken plays, defense was better today than we've seen in awhile.
-Joe made much better calls overall today than he has been.
-Nick Gibson and Lee Witherspoon were really good when they got a chance.

Negatives:
-Effort from the minimal effort group, minus Guidry. (Hill, Landrews, Thompson, Lewis)
-The minimal effort group being allowed to continue to garner playing time despite consistently giving the worst effort on the team.
-OL is just not good. (Not sure if it's scheme or what because this should've been a really good group)
-Safety play is awful. Some of this is because we continue to trot out Landrews for some reason.
-We still take too long getting certain plays in, it kills momentum. We don't have to fast all game, but when we are moving we can't afford to slow down because of how bad we are the majority of the time.

Definitely much better game than I expected. But not enough to make me feel a change shouldn't be made. Too little too late to start trying to coach a certain level of effort in my opinion.

MetEdDawg
10-19-2019, 06:30 PM
IMO Joe is a PhD type. He thinks brilliance is what wins football games and he also thinks he's more brilliant than everyone else.

Joe also isn't "blue collar" as he says he is. His Dad and family were. Our team practices in the Seal Complex most of time. This week we didn't. To get towards upper tier of SEC teams you gotta get outta your comfort zone. That means rolling up your sleeves, making it tough on the team and yourself. I don't think Joe will do that for too long.

In other words ... much more country clubbing than Mullen and his crew ever did.

Then I would say going outside this week means he's at least willing to adapt.

We are all dancing around the real issue. The question really is if Moorhead is the right guy given his ability to adapt what he knows to SEC play?

Is he smart enough to change and adapt his strengths to do something good enough for MSU?

I'm still in the mind set of him needing to show me. But today gave me hope that he can dial up something different to find success. Today we saw some of that. That gives me hope that 6-6 can happen and that he can continue to adjust

TrapGame
10-19-2019, 06:30 PM
This to me is why I'm not on the get rid of Moorhead now train. I'm still ok if it happens end of the year but I think we need to give Joe the rest of the year to see what changes are made.

Completely agree with you.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 06:33 PM
From some good sources, Cohen has been working. You think the Rutgers stuff just happened all organically? It?s similar to the Loafers and Don stuff. Being encouraged to plan their exit instead of it being forced.

Commercecomet24
10-19-2019, 06:34 PM
From some good sources, Cohen has been working. You think the Rutgers stuff just happened all organically? It?s similar to the Loafers and Don stuff. Being encouraged to plan their exit instead of it being forced.

I've heard similar that joes been asked to "look around".

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Then I would say going outside this week means he's at least willing to adapt.

We are all dancing around the real issue. The question really is if Moorhead is the right guy given his ability to adapt what he knows to SEC play?

Is he smart enough to change and adapt his strengths to do something good enough for MSU?

I'm still in the mind set of him needing to show me. But today gave me hope that he can dial up something different to find success. Today we saw some of that. That gives me hope that 6-6 can happen and that he can continue to adjust

To me the issue is that to be precise (as he wants to be) for 4 qtrs against good SEC teams, you gotta be really tough. And to do that you gotta put the team through tough conditions (like the farm; which he very and too quickly squashed when asked about it) so when it's game time they can do it, keep doing it, and do it better than those teams in the 4th qtr. You don't have to do that all the time, but you also can't just do it here and there (like this week). You have to demand precision and do that every single day, and be an asshole about it if necessary. I don't think Joe can or will do that.

Homedawg
10-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Any football hire at MSU has at least a 50 percent change of being disastrous.

History has proven it to be way hirer than that. It's tough. 14 teams. All want to win. All have more money than us except one. We are only close financially to a few others. Somebody has to lose. Doesn't mean we have to except it. But this is a tough job and have to have the right fit. Don't think jomo is it. But doesn't mean his replacement will either.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 06:40 PM
I've heard similar that joes been asked to "look around".

To be honest, it really has been the best thing Cohen has done and I think it will help us finding a new coach. He allows guys a way out before humiliating them with a firing. This is the main reason we will be able to bring in a decent replacement after it is done. It is a respect rarely shown in the current age of big time sports. Stay patient. Things are happening.

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 06:40 PM

I figured as such was likely. And while someone questioned me saying Cohen was fine with Dan leaving, I got feeling all that was orchestrated and kinda mutual cause Finebaum wouldn't shut up about that possibility for weeks before the Egg Bowl. I think Cohen was tired of the shopping around and losing to lesser OM teams with 8 wins or more.

Commercecomet24
10-19-2019, 06:41 PM
To be honest, it really has been the best thing Cohen has done and I think it will help us finding a new coach. He allows guys a way out before humiliating them with a firing. This is the main reason we will be able to bring in a decent replacement after it is done. It is a respect rarely shown in the current age of big time sports. Stay patient. Things are happening.

Agreed.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 06:42 PM
I figured as such was likely. And while someone questioned me saying Cohen was fine with Dan leaving, I got feeling all that was orchestrated and kinda mutual cause Finebaum wouldn't shut up about that possibility for weeks before the Egg Bowl. I think Cohen was tired of the shopping around and losing to lesser OM teams with 8 wins or more.

I forgot that keenum was also involved in the whole Danny fiasco, of job searching. They were fed up with it.

Homedawg
10-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Agree to the extent he shouldn't be judged on today. However, had we played as hard as we did today against KSU and ut the wolves wouldn't be as bad. But..... we did lose. Can't get em back.

Commercecomet24
10-19-2019, 06:54 PM
Agree to the extent he shouldn't be judged on today. However, had we played as hard as we did today against KSU and ut the wolves wouldn't be as bad. But..... we did lose. Can't get em back.

Yep exactly! We play this hard and we're 5-2 now. Like you said can't get em back. Sucks.

Doggie_Style
10-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Today we looked like that little guy’ that was really pissed and fought and flailed for a while until the the champion got annoyed and layed his ass out....we just aren’t competitive....that is Croom era bad

Cooterpoot
10-19-2019, 06:57 PM
I got news, Dan wasn?t asked to leave. Was never even close to that. He could?ve stayed here as long as he wanted. We offered him a huge raise. Cohen isn?t some bad ass like some of you try to make him out to be. Hes not nearly the smartest guy in the room either.

Coursesuper
10-19-2019, 07:01 PM
I got news, Dan wasn?t asked to leave. Was never even close to that. He could?ve stayed here as long as he wanted. We offered him a huge raise. Cohen isn?t some bad ass like some of you try to make him out to be. Hes not nearly the smartest guy in the room either.

This is the truth.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Keenum was pissed at Dan for his continuous job shopping after 2016. He was also pissed that Cohen had allowed it without saying anything. He was told that he?d be gone if it kept up. Dan starts coaching again in 2017 and was searching for his way out. His agent worked the exit well, and he got out. Unless Keenum is lying about it to a person in my family who was sitting in his box during the game. I met Keenum and the family member after the game as we left stadium. But maybe keenum lied about this and everything that worked out to back up what was said.

MD2020
10-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Is Cohen working or sitting on his hands?

HoopsDawg
10-19-2019, 07:16 PM

that's great to hear.

HoopsDawg
10-19-2019, 07:19 PM
History has proven it to be way hirer than that. It's tough. 14 teams. All want to win. All have more money than us except one. We are only close financially to a few others. Somebody has to lose. Doesn't mean we have to except it. But this is a tough job and have to have the right fit. Don't think jomo is it. But doesn't mean his replacement will either.

that's true and that's fine. but don't hold onto the wrong guy b/c it's only been 2 years. just keep moving on until you find the right fit. bama went thru mike price and rich rod before they convinced Saban. And they're Bama.

HoopsDawg
10-19-2019, 07:28 PM
If we can get a new staff in here after the Egg Bowl, there are some pieces in place:

QB: Shrader is legit, a new coach can build around him the next 3 years.
Left Tackle/Right Tackle: Cross and Dollar Bill are legit bookend tackles

D-line: There's some young talent there.
Secondary: I like Jones and Emerson

A new coach can come in and get us back to a bowl in Year one, and maybe make some noise in Year 3. Let's get it back on track.

TrapGame
10-19-2019, 07:41 PM

So the Rutgers stuff hit right after Auburn. So was he asked to look around after that loss?

Homedawg
10-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Keenum was pissed at Dan for his continuous job shopping after 2016. He was also pissed that Cohen had allowed it without saying anything. He was told that he?d be gone if it kept up. Dan starts coaching again in 2017 and was searching for his way out. His agent worked the exit well, and he got out. Unless Keenum is lying about it to a person in my family who was sitting in his box during the game. I met Keenum and the family member after the game as we left stadium. But maybe keenum lied about this and everything that worked out to back up what was said.

Cohen was hired as ad in late fall of 16 not sure how Cohen could be in trouble for dan's "job hunting" when he wasn't even in charge. So .....

MD2020
10-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Cohen was hired as ad in late fall of 16 not sure how Cohen could be in trouble for dan's "job hunting" when he wasn't even in charge. So .....

Add you an avatar. I keep getting you and hoopsdawg confused.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Cohen isn’t out coach hunting. Sorry to bust that bubble. He’s got plan, but he’s not out recruiting coaches. If Jo somehow wins 5/6 games, he’s going to have to leave on his own, because he’s not getting fired. And he’s not walking away from millions. Cohen is lost as a damn goose as AD. I don’t trust him to hire a team janitor.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 09:15 PM

Exactly. Keenum got on to loafers and Dan. They were both told things. Go look at my posts from back then. What I said played out almost to the T. Keenum said stop shopping or get out. I get blasted all the time for posting things that are happening and then people still come here saying they did not happen or were not said.

Nothing I have said has not been proven wrong or not played out as posted. I guess I will just keep to myself so as to not hurt any feelings around here about what is going on with our athletic programs. I have had much inside info dating back to the Jackie years, but that does not seem to matter around here.

SloMo isn?t getting canned by Cohen this year, but he knows that he needs to find a landing spot before he is shoved out of the nest. Believe what you want. That is up to you. I go on what I hear and if what I hear actually happens. And do not post something unless what the people have told me in the past actually happens after they tell me.

Coach007
10-19-2019, 09:41 PM
Completely agree, today was much better across the board from an effort perspective, but the problem is this was a complete outlier. Not to mention, the same players who continually give minimal effort continued to play.

Positives:
-Effort as a whole increased for the team.
-Guidry played much better than he has.
-Shrader is going to be legit, he's still a freshman though.
-Minus the safeties and several broken plays, defense was better today than we've seen in awhile.
-Joe made much better calls overall today than he has been.
-Nick Gibson and Lee Witherspoon were really good when they got a chance.

Negatives:
-Effort from the minimal effort group, minus Guidry. (Hill, Landrews, Thompson, Lewis)
-The minimal effort group being allowed to continue to garner playing time despite consistently giving the worst effort on the team.
-OL is just not good. (Not sure if it's scheme or what because this should've been a really good group)
-Safety play is awful. Some of this is because we continue to trot out Landrews for some reason.
-We still take too long getting certain plays in, it kills momentum. We don't have to fast all game, but when we are moving we can't afford to slow down because of how bad we are the majority of the time.

Definitely much better game than I expected. But not enough to make me feel a change shouldn't be made. Too little too late to start trying to coach a certain level of effort in my opinion.

Positives:

Agree. Will Add Zuber played well today.

MOST OF ALL, the freshmen have come to life. Emerson, Jones, Lovett, Crum, Pickering will be a beasts! Anybody looking at the next 2 to 3 years on that defense should be excited.

OL.. Pass protection was WAY better today. Still not good enough

Negatives:

- I disagree with you on them being allowed to play. Maybe you have a better break down, we are limited in spots.

Brule... Got burned a few times.

OL- Run block.... What's that?

Was a much better game and with recruiting catching up to the needs, I expect the next 2 years to be huge. And NO.. Again, No changes will be made this year. :)

maroonmania
10-19-2019, 10:52 PM

Yep, the first half effort was good but somewhat wasted on a team as good as LSU. Needed that effort against KSU or TN to actually help have a better record.

Coach007
10-19-2019, 10:58 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!!

No sir. He's not. He isn't. Confirmed again today!