PDA

View Full Version : This is how a coach that can get it done sounds after a loss...

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2013/10/26/oregon-42-ucla-14-jim-mora/

Sounds quite different than a coach that is "happy to be 3-3". If you can watch this press conference and not be at least a little pissed at how far our coach is from this....I don't know what to tell you. But I will say this, Mullen was actually very similar in his first year or two, but for some reason it's gone. And that is a head scratcher to me, because he is still fairly young and in his first head coaching gig. I expected the fire and determination to last longer.

Sorry for another thread about Mullen. If you don't like it, don't click the link and back out of this thread, you don't have to read it if it's not sunny enough.

(Thanks to theBigDA for the link)

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 12:10 PM
By the way...

According to a SPS poster, Mullen makes 2.6 mil per year, and Mora 2 mil a year. If true, it's sickening

blacklistedbully
10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
By the way...

According to a SPS poster, Mullen makes 2.6 mil per year, and Mora 2 mil a year. If true, it's sickening

Would you choose Starkville + 2.6 mil, or LA + 2 mil?

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Would you choose Starkville + 2.6 mil, or LA + 2 mil?

Starkville +2.6

CostOfLivingNShit*

But that's not the point.

blacklistedbully
10-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Starkville +2.6

CostOfLivingNShit*

And I didn't even add the extra money you get from media for being the HC in one of the largest media-markets in the world.

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
And I didn't even add the extra money you get from media for being the HC in one of the largest media-markets in the world.

Again, not the point. This thread isn't about "why would Mora not come to State"...our job is not as good. I know that.

The point is, what are we getting out of our 2.6 mil per year investment? And are there several other teams in the country that are getting far more return on investment out of much less money? The answer is yes.

engie
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Mullen makes $2.7mil right now
Mora makes $2.4 mil right now

Cost of living in Starkville, MS = 86% national average.
Mullen's $2.7mil in Starkville = $3.078 million in an "average" American town

Cost of living in Los Angeles, Ca = 144% national average.
Mullen's $3.078 mil in an "average" town = $4.432 million in Los Angeles, California

We are effectively paying Mullen double what UCLA is paying Mora.

preachermatt83
10-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Good thread!! A coach with fire will have a team with fire.. That's one of the reasons we NEVER pull off an upset. Our coaches never "Get Up", we are always level. I miss the days of bull castration. haha!!

Drugdog
10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
I will take Mora.

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Do you miss losing to Louisiana Tech, NE Louisiana, Memphis, UAB, Troy, etc.?

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I miss being proud of what I see on the field.

Getting rid of Mullen doesn't mean losing to shit teams. (Keeping him might though.). But I expect nothing less from "lil ole Misipi Tate" Goat.

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Pretty interesting numbers there. I would do my math a little differently, but the result is the same, give or take a little. Something else on the whole UCLA/MSU comparison...Savage made 300K until he just got a new contract, Cohen makes over 600K (before cost of living corrections!). You do the math there.

Maybe it's just the cost of doing business in Starkville, MS. Shit is out of whack.

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 04:03 PM
No other coach has been able to avoid losing to the shit teams. History backs me up.

I am proud of what I see on the field. It pretty much mirrors the muscle of the university and our 'standing' among our peers. 2010 happened, whether you want to admit it or not. We were among the Top 15 teams in the nation. Ole Miss is going through their crest right now as well. They'll see a similar drop off as us sooner rather than later.

And Good Lord, cut it out with the attempted shaming nonsense. I want to win as much or more than you do. That offers nothing in the discussion, and sends threads into pissing contests.

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 04:08 PM
No other coach has been able to avoid losing to the shit teams. History backs me up.

I am proud of what I see on the field. It pretty much mirrors the muscle of the university and our 'standing' among our peers. 2010 happened, whether you want to admit it or not. We were among the Top 15 teams in the nation. Ole Miss is going through their crest right now as well. They'll see a similar drop off as us sooner rather than later.

And Good Lord, cut it out with the attempted shaming nonsense. I want to win as much or more than you do. That offers nothing in the discussion, and sends threads into pissing contests.

You dont want to do what it takes to win. Otherwise you wouldnt be content with just beating shit teams and nobody else.

And another thing...Be careful bc Dan is Real close to losing to those shit teams now, and they will happen if recent play continues.

Hopefully he turns it around. A win over SC, A&M, or Bama will end my concerns with him.

The SEC is different now Goat. Quit comparing everything to the past. We can compete if we lose the loser attitude

donald igwebuike
10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2013/10/26/oregon-42-ucla-14-jim-mora/

Sounds quite different than a coach that is "happy to be 3-3". If you can watch this press conference and not be at least a little pissed at how far our coach is from this....I don't know what to tell you. But I will say this, Mullen was actually very similar in his first year or two, but for some reason it's gone. And that is a head scratcher to me, because he is still fairly young and in his first head coaching gig. I expected the fire and determination to last longer.

Sorry for another thread about Mullen. If you don't like it, don't click the link and back out of this thread, you don't have to read it if it's not sunny enough.

(Thanks to theBigDA for the link)

Right now we suck,....

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 04:20 PM
You dont want to do what it takes to win.......We can compete if we lose the loser attitude

I guess you think if you keep saying that crap that it will become true, in regards to me. If this were 2006 and we're talking about Croom I would agree. But shit isn't that bad.

The SEC is different now Goat. Quit comparing everything to the past.

The SEC is much harder now, so yeah I agree that it's different. That would make your points even less relevant. We've always struggled to compete even back then, so now it's supposed to be EASIER??

Look, it breaks down like this. You Hud-lovers are so obsessed with Freeze and his role up there, that you think Hud is doing the same thing. Just wait a few years until Freeze hits his wall. Damn a bunch of Ole Miss folks were already wanting to fire him until he beat a disinterested LSU team. If we played that team in Starkville that night we win the game too.

If we had Saban or another proven commodity lined up, sure let's fire Mullen and get him. But we don't. Ole Miss fired a proven winner and ended up with Freeze. We'd be firing a fairly successful coach to get to the same type of guy. That's a bad business decision. You best be happy with what we DO have at the moment because it could get a shitload worse real ****ing fast. That I can guarantee.

was21
10-27-2013, 04:48 PM
A case could be made that the job in Starkville should pay double simply because it's Starkville, not because of the cost of living.

smootness
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I agree with the point of the thread, but as a Falcons fan, I can say you do not want a guy like Jim Mora as the coach of your program.

GreaterCowbell
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Mullen used to sound like that.

http://http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=13909&TRID=1&TID= (http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=13909&TRID=1&TID=)

engie
10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
The SEC is much harder now, so yeah I agree that it's different. That would make your points even less relevant. We've always struggled to compete even back then, so now it's supposed to be EASIER??

I believe he's saying that the GAP between us and those nonconference programs is now huge and has grown 500% or more over the past decade.

Our total athletics revenue was $12.7mil in 2006. Not too hard to see a La Tech jumping up and competing with us on a $5ish million budget. Last year, our revenue was $70 million. It'll be $90mil plus in 2014($10 mil stadium, at least $10 mil SECnetwork) and with the network, it could easily end up $120+ in the future. With numbers like that, there is no excuse to EVER lose nonconference games to minor-conference teams.

So, we are very near a point where we can't compare ourselves to Sun Belt and C-USA teams in any way. Our good fortune of being in the SEC has permanently separated us from them and raised our "floor" as an overall program.

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
I believe he's saying that the GAP between us and those nonconference programs is now huge and has grown 500% or more over the past decade.

Our total athletics revenue was $12.7mil in 2006. Not too hard to see a La Tech jumping up and competing with us on a $5ish million budget. Last year, our revenue was $70 million. It'll be $90mil plus in 2014($10 mil stadium, at least $10 mil SECnetwork) and with the network, it could easily end up $120+ in the future. With numbers like that, there is no excuse to EVER lose nonconference games to minor-conference teams.

So, we are very near a point where we can't compare ourselves to Sun Belt and C-USA teams in any way. Our good fortune of being in the SEC has permanently separated us from them and raised our "floor" as an overall program.

Exactly.

He knew what I meant...he's just being Goat.

Goat Holder
10-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Non-BCS recent losses for SEC teams:

2013: Western Kentucky 35, Kentucky 26
2012: NE Louisiana 34, Arkansas 31; Western Kentucky 32, Kentucky 31
2011: BYU 14, Ole Miss 13; Boise State 35, Georgia 21 (this one doesn't really count), Louisiana Tech 27, Ole Miss 7
2010: Jacksonville State 49, Ole Miss 48
Countless other near misses

The point is, these games happen every year and that are catastrophic most of the time. And from about 2008 on back, MSU was typically the victim. Louisiana Tech, Maine, Tulane, Maine, UAB. So yeah, I consider a big step in the right direction that Mullen has spared us the complete and utter humiliation of losing to those schools. Sure Houston beat us in 2009 but they were a highly ranked team who beat Oklahoma State and Texas Tech as well that year.

And even still, I don't expect our newfound riches to have that much of an effect on that gap. We never lost players to those schools anyway. They've always gotten the guys we (and other BCS programs) didn't want, and will continue to do so.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:42 PM
The common thread is that every SEC team you listed was an absolute dumpster fire...Mullen has thusfar kept us out of that phase, I agree

The only way you'll ever be able to conclusively say that it's Mullen and not the new-found gap that exists -- is for our next coach to lose to those types of teams, which we all hope doesn't happen. Otherwise, you can argue either way and never get anywhere.

And I agree with you that I appreciate Mullen for winning all the games that he's supposed to win. My issue is simply that I find the number of "should wins" to be in moderate decline...

FlabLoser
10-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Since we are that rich...,

Booster money covers part of Mullen's contract and some other things. A lot if that booster money needs to be diverted to recruiting while the revenue streams engie mentioned could be used to take up the slack from the aforementioned diversion.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Technically, Mullen's 3-3 comment wasn't after a loss. Just thought I'd point that out. But it felt like a loss almost so maybe.... well anyway, sure am glad BGSU made us look good by going out and manhandling Toledo this week.... oh wait...NM

I've been to 82 MSU football games: 61 in Starkville, 9 in Jackson, 6 in Oxford, 3 in Memphis, 1 each in Atlanta, Shreveport, and Baton Rouge. 44 Wins to 38 Losses. Those losses include getting stomped, heart breaking ones, and ones that never should have happened, and almost upsets. But never until the last 2 games have I left a win with more or less the same emotions one would have after losing. Go figure