PDA

View Full Version : Let's Be Clear About the Issue With Moorhead

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Starting to hear some national media say, "Mittittippi Tate is a tough place to win and Moorhead may want out" "the SEC is a grind and Mittittippi Tate doesn't have the resources"

So let's be clear: what has happened with Moorhead has virtually nothing to do with Mittittippi Tate or the SEC.

It's about putting a crappy product on the field time and time again, while Vegas, recruiting rankings, and the NFL indicate we should be much better.

It's not about Bama, LSU, or Auburn. It's about Kentucky, Kansas State, Iowa, and the worst Tennessee team in 5 decades.

This isn't about Mittittippi Tate. This is about a lackluster coach that decided that his agenda and offense was more important that putting the kids in position to succeed.

Let's make sure the focus is on the right spots here.

We'll see if it changes today

Coursesuper
10-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Well said gun.

msstate7
10-19-2019, 07:51 AM
I gotta be honest, I don't read what college football writers say/write. I have saw on this board though that some national guys said Moorhead isn't cutting it and Paul going after our coach and AD... that seems to indicate to me that they think the problem is joe, not us.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2019, 07:53 AM
I gotta be honest, I don't read what college football writers say/write. I have saw on this board though that some national guys said Moorhead isn't cutting it and Paul going after our coach and AD... that seems to indicate to me that they think the problem is joe, not us.

I would agree that has been the majority, but I heard the old tires sentiment on the radio a few times yesterday and wanted to just nip that in the bud

AROB44
10-19-2019, 08:07 AM

And certain members of this board, who think they are experts in every sport known to man, loving every minute of it. We don't need fans like that. Bitch all you want, but don't enjoy a shithead like PF trashing our school. He has hated us ever since JWS was our coach.

msstate7
10-19-2019, 08:12 AM
And certain members of this board, who think they are experts in every sport known to man, loving every minute of it. We don't need fans like that. Bitch all you want, but don't enjoy a shithead like PF trashing our school. He has hated us ever since JWS was our coach.

Not sure if you're talking about me, but I've watched/listened to like 5 mins total of Paul in my life. I don't care what that clown says. I watch live sports only... don't care anything about what writers/reports/etc say

BogeyGolfer
10-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Starting to hear some national media say, "Mittittippi Tate is a tough place to win and Moorhead may want out" "the SEC is a grind and Mittittippi Tate doesn't have the resources"

So let's be clear: what has happened with Moorhead has virtually nothing to do with Mittittippi Tate or the SEC.

It's about putting a crappy product on the field time and time again, while Vegas, recruiting rankings, and the NFL indicate we should be much better.

It's not about Bama, LSU, or Auburn. It's about Kentucky, Kansas State, Iowa, and the worst Tennessee team in 5 decades.

This isn't about Mittittippi Tate. This is about a lackluster coach that decided that his agenda and offense was more important that putting the kids in position to succeed.

Good Post, the only way I think Joe will be successful here is if we hire top notch assistants and basically make him a cheerleader and recruiter like Coach O....

timotheus
10-19-2019, 08:21 AM
bogeygolfer has it figured out. Now does Cohen know it too?

confucius say
10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
It is hard to win at state. No doubt. Every national person will tell you that. I mean, Dan is a top 10 coach in college football and averaged 7.1-4.9 here. That average is considered very good at state, om, ky, ark, etc.

Joes path to doing that is to recruit better than Dan did, bc he apparently is not the head coach Dan was (although it is early and coaches can improve).

Lord McBuckethead
10-19-2019, 08:56 AM

Well i would hope the final score today isn't the barometer on the game today and how we have responded. LSU is a damn good football team. So if we get beat 54-21 today, the fanbase will be even more of a prick, when in reality even a good MSU team prepared and executing could lose by that much. I am going to review how our team played given the circumstances.

gravedigger
10-19-2019, 09:07 AM

The issue with Moorhead is that fans are lead around by their collective noses. They dont have the stomach for waiting so much as a week for what they want. They are akin to the mob looking for the monster in Frankenstien.

Your flip flopping is the absolute perfect example of it.

Congrats. You put the 'average' in average fan.

And before anyone gets the impression I'm a fan of losing or where we are as a football program, get over yourself. I'm not.

msstate7
10-19-2019, 09:12 AM
The issue with Moorhead is that fans are lead around by their collective noses. They dont have the stomach for waiting so much as a week for what they want. They are akin to the mob looking for the monster in Frankenstien.

And before anyone gets the impression I'm a fan of losing or where we are as a football program, get over yourself. I'm not.

So what are you basing we should wait around on?

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 09:15 AM

I haven't watched PF in a forever cause he's a Bama homer and he has very little regard for MSU as you said. But I did watch yesterday and I actually thought that while he was somewhat persistent, he was not an asshole or anything like that to Moorhead or Cohen. And, regardless of what anyone wants to say, there sure is a lot of smoke about the Rutgers thing.

There's lots of times I've gotten pissed at Paul when I did watch way back when, but yesterday wasn't one of them.

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 09:16 AM

Gun flip-flopping?? No way ******

Coursesuper
10-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Lead around by the nose by whom? Rosey, Gene, David Murray, Matt, Bo Bounds? I'd have to say here those that aren't following the party line are hardly being led by the nose.

gravedigger
10-19-2019, 09:34 AM

The fanbase has no concept that a team, just about any given team not named Alabama, can and does have average to below average seasons. Some over perform, some under perform. It happens. It's not a cause to grab the pitchforks and torches. So many around here give themselves the moniker 'realist' yet they rarely act like they expect the below side of average. Which is a reality. They expect people like Paul Finebaum to help paint their rosey picture or preach doom and gloom and are irate when he doesnt.

What they should realize is that the process of a team being effective isnt some sort of magical thing like a recruiting ranking or an offensive scheme.

Understanding any sport is not the same as understanding what it takes to administrate it.

Dawgology
10-19-2019, 09:45 AM

This the one that the coach-over-program guys just can’t answer. It’s just bred into them to always support the coach and screw the actual program.

No head coach is greater than MSU. It is blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes that Joe was not ready for this role. But y’all go ahead and support him. Support him until our program is back into the dark ages. Maybe y’all will be happy then since there will be no expectations and you can just go tailgate and talk about the time we beat Bama in the 80’s. Total loser mentality.

MD2020
10-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Agreed 7

gravedigger
10-19-2019, 09:56 AM
By the notion that if we ACT like bama fans, we will be perceived as having some higher standard.

gravedigger
10-19-2019, 10:01 AM
This the one that the coach-over-program guys just can?t answer. It?s just bred into them to always support the coach and screw the actual program.

No head coach is greater than MSU. It is blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes that Joe was not ready for this role. But y?all go ahead and support him. Support him until our program is back into the dark ages. Maybe y?all will be happy then since there will be no expectations and you can just go tailgate and talk about the time we beat Bama in the 80?s. Total loser mentality.

This perfectly captures the current thinking.

what is 'blatantly obvious' to someone ends with accusing someone who doesnt agree with having a 'total loser mentality'

Dunning f'ing Kruger

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Joe naturally has the season but that UT game was as bad as anything we have put on the field in a long time. It wasn't just some fluke, we looked like hot garbage from the opening kickoff. We didn't get blown out purely because we got some turnovers in the end zone combined with UT being one of the worst P5 team in the country.

Todd4State
10-19-2019, 10:17 AM
It is hard to win at state. No doubt. Every national person will tell you that. I mean, Dan is a top 10 coach in college football and averaged 7.1-4.9 here. That average is considered very good at state, om, ky, ark, etc.

Joes path to doing that is to recruit better than Dan did, bc he apparently is not the head coach Dan was (although it is early and coaches can improve).

Dan was real impressive in that road loss to LSU.

Todd4State
10-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Joe naturally has the season but that UT game was as bad as anything we have put on the field in a long time. It wasn't just some fluke, we looked like hot garbage from the opening kickoff. We didn't get blown out purely because we got some turnovers in the end zone combined with UT being one of the worst P5 team in the country.

This. Joe just simply doesn’t demand enough from our players from a discipline standpoint and it has killed us.

MedDawg
10-19-2019, 12:24 PM

I agree except for UK and Iowa. Don't think Mullen beats either.

However, your point stands with Kansas State and especially Tennessee and really most of the games. The team just looks unprepared, unorganized, and undisciplined. We've made some decent adjustments at halftime but they haven't been able to overcome the three U's.

Coach007
10-19-2019, 12:29 PM

However, your point stands with Kansas State and especially Tennessee and really most of the games. The team just looks unprepared, unorganized, and undisciplined. We've made some decent adjustments at halftime but they haven't been able to overcome the three U's.

Yeah and that loss to the 100th ranked recruiting power house AT HOME was really not his fault in year 8th (btw that was 1 year longer than South Alabama had actually been playing football).

Coach007
10-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Around facts.... Like the recruiting debacle by Mullen and tutorgate vs what we have seen in recruiting, improvement at certain positions and 2 Qbs he recruited than can run this offense.

Moorhead ain't going any where for at least one more year, if not 2

msugolf
10-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Around facts.... Like the recruiting debacle by Mullen and tutorgate vs what we have seen in recruiting, improvement at certain positions and 2 Qbs he recruited than can run this offense.

How many games do you think he wins next year with his "elite" recruits coming in?

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 12:35 PM

What positions have improved outside of Osiris? D. Thomas was good under Mullen but he's improved too. What others?

Coach007
10-19-2019, 12:55 PM
How many games do you think he wins next year with his "elite" recruits coming in?

He was a healthy QB and a WR away from 5-1 this year.

Coach007
10-19-2019, 12:57 PM
What positions have improved outside of Osiris? D. Thomas was good under Mullen but he's improved too. What others?

QB for one. Shrader is already ahead of what Fitz was.

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Not saying Shrader won't be good ... I like him. But he has a ways to go yet to get ahead of Fitz as a QB.

Coursesuper
10-19-2019, 01:13 PM
He was a healthy QB and a WR away from 5-1 this year.

That's just a lie. Total fabrication.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2019, 01:17 PM

Fitz in Mullen's offense as a junior > Shrader as a freshman.

Bothrops
10-19-2019, 01:18 PM
It's hard to win at State, the same way it's hard to win at Arkansas, and Ole Miss if you're honest. This is not just a Mittittippi Tate problem. Then you have Kentucky, SC, Vandy, and Missouri in the East that are the same, but less handicapped due to their division. It's ridiculous but this needs to be explained over and over again to the pundits.

Coach34
10-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Our offense is much worse under Jo-Vester than Mullen...and this year's O is worse than Fitz under Jo-Vester. We are not getting improved play.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2019, 01:47 PM
This perfectly captures the current thinking.

what is 'blatantly obvious' to someone ends with accusing someone who doesnt agree with having a 'total loser mentality'

Dunning f'ing Kruger

You don't think Mullen beats that crappy Iowa team? Lolz

DeputyDawg94
10-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Out of the 2018 UK, FL, Iowa games and the 2019 KSU and TN games I think Mullen goes at worst 3-2 but probably wins all 5. I don’t think joe could do that now even knowing how he lost those games. And that’s the thing that is so disappointing. He knows what he needs to do to change it (2018 AU and TAMU) but refuses to do so. I also understand there is no way to know either way.

timotheus
10-19-2019, 02:15 PM
msu vs the hogs here in a few weeks will be a serious match tween the lil sisters of the poor. and it has only taken joe less than 2 years to get us a low as ark has gone in 8 years.

dawgday166
10-19-2019, 02:37 PM
msu vs the hogs here in a few weeks will be a serious match tween the lil sisters of the poor. and it has only taken joe less than 2 years to get us a low as ark has gone in 8 years.

Joe's all about setting records **

MedDawg
10-19-2019, 02:59 PM
You don't think Mullen beats that crappy Iowa team? Lolz

Iowa had the #12 rushing defense last year, giving up only 15 more rushing yards per game than MSU. With Mullen coaching Iowa still would have stuffed Fitz.

Coach34
10-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Iowa had the #12 rushing defense last year, giving up only 15 more rushing yards per game than MSU. With Mullen coaching Iowa still would have stuffed Fitz.

We had a mid-40's offense with Mullen and a Jr Fitz. We had a mid-70's offense with Moorhead. I'll take my chances with Mullen beating Iowa

jackindabox
10-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Remember 2 years ago when lots of well respected college football programs decided to get new coaches? Can anybody name one other then dan Mullen (who went back to the place he was familiar with) that has done good. Keep in mind 2 time national champs florida state got a new coach. Multiple national championship Nebraska got a new coach. Texas am got a coach who is only one of 4 coaches currently coaching that has won a national championship. Arkansas got a new coach. National championship winning Tennessee got a new coach. UCLA got a new coach, their coach went to the national championship game with Oregon and created an offense so powerful he was promoted to an nfl job. How are those coaches doing?

Dawg2003
10-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Unless you get a proven head coach like Bama did with Saban, you are rolling the dice with these head coaching hires.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Remember 2 years ago when lots of well respected college football programs decided to get new coaches? Can anybody name one other then dan Mullen (who went back to the place he was familiar with) that has done good. Keep in mind 2 time national champs florida state got a new coach. Multiple national championship Nebraska got a new coach. Texas am got a coach who is only one of 4 coaches currently coaching that has won a national championship. Arkansas got a new coach. National championship winning Tennessee got a new coach. UCLA got a new coach, their coach went to the national championship game with Oregon and created an offense so powerful he was promoted to an nfl job. How are those coaches doing?

How many of them were gifted the best defense in the nation in year one? With 3 first round draft picks? How many were promising an explosive offense while being given the best defense in the land? How many were given an all time conference leading rusher QB in the best conference in college football? And the offense took a step back in year 1.

Any of the coaches you listed could have coached drunk and won 8 games last year. Having No head coach on our team, we could have won 8 games. This really is not complicated.

jackindabox
10-19-2019, 06:33 PM
How many of them were gifted the best defense in the nation in year one? With 3 first round draft picks? How many were promising an explosive offense while being given the best defense in the land? How many were given an all time conference leading rusher QB in the best conference in college football? And the offense took a step back in year 1.

Any of the coaches you listed could have coached drunk and won 8 games last year. Having No head coach on our team, we could have won 8 games. This really is not complicated.

I think Nebraska was hoping for better then an 0-6 start or whatever it was. I think UCLA was thinking their offense was going to be pretty good. Certainly texas am was looking like they would be good in year 2. They had a top 5 recruiting class.

Fitzgerald cant throw the ball downfield. How can you run an offense that is pretty much designed to throw downfield without a qb who can throw downfield. So let's say moorhead was more aware of what he had and he ran the ball more last year. Let's say msstate went 10-2 because I agree they should have with that defense. But the defense is gone now. So what do we have? We have arguably the best QB that has ever played at msstate. If people could think more long term, they would realize shrader is going to be a beast next year. We have a defense that needs to get their ass whooped this year and they are doing just that.

Msstate is a school that has to rebuild, that was true even when Mullen was the coach. Remember the year that fitzgerald was a sophomore. The defense couldn't stop a nose bleed. The following year they were really good. You might say because they got a new DC, but our current DC is the same one that gave us the number one defense one year ago so I think we will be alright.

I agree last year was a disaster but it was a necessary disaster because the freaking head coach left town. This year is a learning year. The coach is gone, the defense is gone that is the reality whether people want to accept it are not.

The only thing that concerns me about moorhead is the lack of discipline. Every week key players are suspended. As far as football knowledge and where the program is going, we picked the best coach available at the time. What's unfortunate is next year we will be really good and all the neh sayers will just say whoops my bad, but in the mean time maybe we shouldn't tell the coaches daughter his dad sucks.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 06:36 PM
I think Nebraska was hoping for better then an 0-6 start or whatever it was. I think UCLA was thinking their offense was going to be pretty good. Certainly texas am was looking like they would be good in year 2. They had a top 5 recruiting class.

Fitzgerald cant throw the ball downfield. How can you run an offense that is pretty much designed to throw downfield without a qb who can throw downfield. So let's say moorhead was more aware of what he had and he ran the ball more last year. Let's say msstate went 10-2 because I agree they should have with that defense. But the defense is gone now. So what do we have? We have arguably the best QB that has ever played at msstate. If people could think more long term, they would realize shrader is going to be a beast next year. We have a defense that needs to get their ass whooped this year and they are doing just that.

Msstate is a school that has to rebuild, that was true even when Mullen was the coach. Remember the year that fitzgerald was a sophomore. The defense couldn't stop a nose bleed. The following year they were really good. You might say because they got a new DC, but our current DC is the same one that gave us the number one defense one year ago so I think we will be alright.

I agree last year was a disaster but it was a necessary disaster because the freaking head coach left town. This year is a learning year. The coach is gone, the defense is gone that is the reality whether people want to accept it are not.

The only thing that concerns me about moorhead is the lack of discipline. Every week key players are suspended. As far as football knowledge and where the program is going, we picked the best coach available at the time. What's unfortunate is next year we will be really good and all the neh sayers will just say whoops my bad, but in the mean time maybe we shouldn't tell the coaches daughter his dad sucks.

I was not saying you were wrong. Just saying that any coach coming into what we had last season was set up for an 8 win floor. Floor was more around 9. Any slight adaptation to what we had and you could win 9-10 games and slowly implement your offense. We trashed what worked and tried to implement one of the most difficult to learn offenses in football. Any good coach understands this and tweaks the offense to his personnel, to win immediately.

Any good coach would try to win immediately with what they have instead of losing with their dream offense and a team full of players who could not run it. That?s the definition of coaching. Making the most with what you have. Play to your strengths and make every attempt to mask your weaknesses.

jackindabox
10-19-2019, 06:54 PM
I was not saying you were wrong. Just saying that any coach coming into what we had last season was set up for an 8 win floor. Floor was more around 9. Any slight adaptation to what we had and you could win 9-10 games and slowly implement your offense. We trashed what worked and tried to implement one of the most difficult to learn offenses in football. Any good coach understands this and tweaks the offense to his personnel, to win immediately.

Any good coach would try to win immediately with what they have instead of losing with their dream offense and a team full of players who could not run it. That?s the definition of coaching. Making the most with what you have. Play to your strengths and make every attempt to mask your weaknesses.

I agree. I just want to find the person who told moorehead daughter his dad sucks. Moorehead very well may be in over his head but I think he needs more time. He kind of reminds me of mark Reich in the sense that he is a nice guy, with a good offensive mind but cant discipline anybody. There is certainly no guarantee based on what we have seen that he will be better next year, if they still cant score more then 7 points next year he should be fired. He does need to have at least one year where he has the QB he wants along with an experienced defense. Those things will happen next year. Also tua and burrow are gone, I'm sure bama will replace tua pretty easily but at least burrow is gone.

RougeDawg
10-19-2019, 07:01 PM
I agree. I just want to find the person who told moorehead daughter his dad sucks. Moorehead very well may be in over his head but I think he needs more time. He kind of reminds me of mark Reich in the sense that he is a nice guy, with a good offensive mind but cant discipline anybody. There is certainly no guarantee based on what we have seen that he will be better next year, if they still cant score more then 7 points next year he should be fired. He does need to have at least one year where he has the QB he wants along with an experienced defense. Those things will happen next year. Also tua and burrow are gone, I'm sure bama will replace tua pretty easily but at least burrow is gone.

I?m not sure someone directly told SloMos daughter he sucked. It was probably overheard from someone sitting around coaches and players families. I?ve sat with the players and coaches families many times at away games and you have to watch what you say. Will Prosser comes to mind. His family was sitting right in front of me one game when he was sucking it up. I had to remember they were there and not say anything.

One game I?ll never forget was auburn on the road in 2013. We sat right beside Peggy Prescott and Dak?s two brothers. Still brings tears to my eyes, knowing that she passed away not long after that but at least she got to see her son play many times. She was tough to be at those games, given her condition. Was proud to be a bulldog that day.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2019, 07:11 PM

I hate to tell you but they are right. Some of us understand. Most here don't. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but it takes a very good head coach, who gets MSU and it's unique challenges. We have had two in my lifetime. JWS and Mullen.