PDA

View Full Version : Can we do the unthinkable this weekend?

StarkVegasSteve
10-17-2019, 01:36 PM
I'll preface this by saying I don't believe there's a way in hell we can pull the upset this weekend, but if we plan to I think these would be the keys to giving ourselves a chance to do it:

1. Force Burrow into early TOs- An early INT or two would be huge, not only because it would get the crowd into it, but anything to make Burrow uncomfortable and start doubting himself. This is a game they believe they should win big and if you can force mistakes early in the ballgame then doubt starts to creep in.
2. Bend, but don't Break- I was never a huge proponent of this defense when Collins was here, but it wouldn't be a bad strategy to employ this weekend. We've got to limit them to FGs. Hell Georgia gashed USCe between the 20s last week, but they stopped them when it counted.
3. A big play early in the game- If you'll think back to the A&M game in 2016 we hit a 75 yd Fitz run on our first play from scrimmage that gave us some belief. We need something like that early to give our team belief that they can hang with the Tigers.
4. Don't get fancy, RTDF- Look, we have one of the best backs in the league. Get him to the edge and let him go. I do believe we'll see a lot more read option this week. We obviously are going to have to pass, but we don't need to rely on it. We need to go back to the Auburn playbook for this one.
5. Other players have to step up- Delpit will be shadowing Osirus all game I would imagine so someone else is going to have to step up in the receiving game. We don't need them to have a huge day we just need 1 or 2 to be reliable enough to go to when we have to pass it. Whether that be Thomas, Guidry, Zuber, Payton, etc. We need one or two of those guys to step up and come to play.
6. Capitalize on any mistake- I feel like this could be left unsaid, but if we get a TO we have to turn it into 7 points.
7. Control the ball and bleed the clock- This may be the most important part of the game. The best defense against Burrow and that offense is keep them on the sideline.

It's going to take a miracle, but I've seen way worse State teams do crazier.

MD2020
10-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Nope

Dental Dawg33
10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
I've always been the "there is always a snowballs chance in hell" kinda guy.

Not this time. Ain't happenin'

timotheus
10-17-2019, 01:46 PM
1- not possible
2- doubtful as they will be able to score from 50-75 yds freely and we can't play zone anyway
3- maybe schrader breaks a run on a busted play
4- just going by the play calling last week this isn't possible because screen passes aren't explosive plays and they mite also require downfield blocking
5- Agreed but can the phat O line hold blocks for more than 2 ticks to make this possible?
6- who knows, LSU may fumble with a 28 pt lead. If they do then we need to score of it.
7- not a chance in the current offensive format due to too many incomplete passes

those other State teams who did crazy things were more physical and played with a chip on their shoulder and they respected the HC

dawgday166
10-17-2019, 01:52 PM
1) Possible. Burrow will be sleep walking probably.
2) Probably more like ... break.
3) With who???
4) Might can some with Shrader/Hill. Not a ton tho.
5) Who???
6) With Who???
7) Not Joe's style. He ain't concerned with time-of-possession. That's a useless metric to him.

TrapGame
10-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Simple answer: No.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2019, 01:57 PM
What’s that??......

https://media.giphy.com/media/Wpz1Hl1BqlaMw/giphy.gif

Saltydog
10-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Hate to say it bro but you wasted a lot of time, energy and effort in that post......Bottom line is, it AIN'T happening....

StarkVegasSteve
10-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Hate to say it bro but you wasted a lot of time, energy and effort in that post......Bottom line is, it AIN'T happening....

Really didn't take that much effort or energy. And the first line literally says, "I'll preface this by saying I don't believe there's a way in hell we can pull the upset this weekend". I understand that there's no way it's happening. But I'm tired of reading the same Moorhead bashing thread phrased a different way for the 10th time this week. Just trying to get some different discussion going.

Really Clark?
10-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Really didn't take that much effort or energy. And the first line literally says, "I'll preface this by saying I don't believe there's a way in hell we can pull the upset this weekend". I understand that there's no way it's happening. But I'm tired of reading the same Moorhead bashing thread phrased a different way for the 10th time this week. Just trying to get some different discussion going.

It is a good post of what needs to happen. I will say this, as bad as we have been defensively, we have been excellent this year getting turnovers. 2nd in the league. Heck without 2 in the end zone last weekend that’s a 34-10 type game

Coursesuper
10-17-2019, 02:32 PM
No

wild_dawg
10-17-2019, 02:32 PM
I don't think it happens. But never say never

Randolph Dupree
10-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Only way we win is if the LSU bus breaks down or they get lost and don't show. Hate to say that but that's where we are if I'm being realistic.

Turfdawg67
10-17-2019, 03:03 PM
No.

sleepy dawg
10-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Bend don't break requires the ability to make a tackle.

dantheman4248
10-17-2019, 05:49 PM
If 4 happens then 7 happens and we cover. LSU does not have a good defense by LSU standards. Don’t think we’ll get many stops defensively if any but walking out of here with 0 turnovers and 40+ carries is the recipe for keeping it close. 2 bad sec losses in a row so Joe must be ready to do it again.

Liverpooldawg
10-17-2019, 08:07 PM
No. But I was on the sideline with a camera for the Orlando Lundie game. Miracles do happen.

Cloak
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Didn't even read the full post on this one.

Always, I will read the upset type posts because #webelieve. This year is different. We are SO bad and SO poorly coached there's just no chance. We couldn't even luck into winning this one

DownwardDawg
10-18-2019, 08:45 AM
It ain’t happening, but you already pointed that out.

Yes, it’s possible. Anything is possible. That’s what makes college football great. LSU has a terrible defense. If we would run the offense we did against Auburn last year, and milk the clock between plays, we would score in the 20’s or 30’s. That would force Burrow to make big plays and hopefully turn the ball over. And Ogre.

Now, none of that is happening, but of course it’s possible.

gravedigger
10-18-2019, 09:00 AM
I'll preface this by saying I don't believe there's a way in hell we can pull the upset this weekend, but if we plan to I think these would be the keys to giving ourselves a chance to do it:

1. Force Burrow into early TOs- An early INT or two would be huge, not only because it would get the crowd into it, but anything to make Burrow uncomfortable and start doubting himself. This is a game they believe they should win big and if you can force mistakes early in the ballgame then doubt starts to creep in.
2. Bend, but don't Break- I was never a huge proponent of this defense when Collins was here, but it wouldn't be a bad strategy to employ this weekend. We've got to limit them to FGs. Hell Georgia gashed USCe between the 20s last week, but they stopped them when it counted.
3. A big play early in the game- If you'll think back to the A&M game in 2016 we hit a 75 yd Fitz run on our first play from scrimmage that gave us some belief. We need something like that early to give our team belief that they can hang with the Tigers.
4. Don't get fancy, RTDF- Look, we have one of the best backs in the league. Get him to the edge and let him go. I do believe we'll see a lot more read option this week. We obviously are going to have to pass, but we don't need to rely on it. We need to go back to the Auburn playbook for this one.
5. Other players have to step up- Delpit will be shadowing Osirus all game I would imagine so someone else is going to have to step up in the receiving game. We don't need them to have a huge day we just need 1 or 2 to be reliable enough to go to when we have to pass it. Whether that be Thomas, Guidry, Zuber, Payton, etc. We need one or two of those guys to step up and come to play.
6. Capitalize on any mistake- I feel like this could be left unsaid, but if we get a TO we have to turn it into 7 points.
7. Control the ball and bleed the clock- This may be the most important part of the game. The best defense against Burrow and that offense is keep them on the sideline.

It's going to take a miracle, but I've seen way worse State teams do crazier.

I dont think so. But I will say this, after being a fan, student, alumni and employee of MSU, I have learned to take all things MSU in stride. If we were to win, it would be so much fun. But it wouldnt change my mind about the football team as a whole.

BTW, the medicine is called Lexapro, if anyone was wondering.

StarkVegasSteve
10-18-2019, 09:14 AM
I dont think so. But I will say this, after being a fan, student, alumni and employee of MSU, I have learned to take all things MSU in stride. If we were to win, it would be so much fun. But it wouldnt change my mind about the football team as a whole.

BTW, the medicine is called Lexapro, if anyone was wondering.

I 100% agree with you. Which is weird, usually after a big upset win I would think that maybe we could get this thing turned around (Auburn last year). But even if we were to pull the shocker, again I don't believe it happens, I still wouldn't think Moorhead is the guy for the future. So much has to change for me to think that he could make it here.