PDA

View Full Version : Outlook on the remainder of the season/program

jwells
10-16-2019, 06:55 PM
In my opinion, I?ve tried to take a level headed look at what should realistically be the outlook and results for the rest of the way. There is no way to change/enstill the appropriate culture overnight. It starts day by day holding all of those in the program to a level of detail that is unmatched. That is severely lacking. For example, I doubt Joe knew about the Kylin Hill tweet at halftime of the game. But if he did, you sit him the 2nd half as an example of your culture that that action is unacceptable. The only way to get the train back on the tracks in my opinion is to have somewhat of a reset after the season and evaluate all aspects of the program and determine whether each one is getting us closer to being a championship team. That starts with not being the players? friend and will mean some things you may implement they may hate you for but will be a positive in the end.

As it relates to on the field, if I?m John Cohen, I have a cut/dry approach the rest of the way:

6-6 Moorhead returns
5-7 or worse we move on.

This approach allows for emotion to be taken out of it and I believe the trajectory of the program will fall into place based on those records. If we get to 6-6 it is because we won games at Arkansas and against Ole Miss more than likely and shows you Joe has what it took to adjust or at least was better that day. Anytime less than that means we dropped another game we shouldn?t have and you don?t allow the program to crater out.

If you?re Moorhead, you do everything you can to get to 6 wins minimum and get ready for the reset. It starts with Saturday?s game with LSU. You may not win but this game marks the day Mississippi State refuses to get pushed around and played the game the right way. You start to begin to enstill the culture that he hasn?t figured out yet. You may be out talented but you won?t be out hustled. You loafe, you sit and will here from Joe. You build with Shrader for the future and cut out any of the excess that isn?t going to get us closer to a championship. Any personal foul penalty should have to be ?explained? to the head coach personally by the offending player. Hold players accountable for the sloppy mistakes. Beginning there and winning games against teams you should beat will get us to a bowl and gives him another shot to turn it around. Anything less and the time should come to move on. This is my approach and thoughts after having some days to think about where we are. It will take Joe and possibly Cohen making some tough decisions but it seems to me the way to go.

Homedawg
10-16-2019, 06:58 PM
The cut and dried approach is fine. Problem is(and I recognize he's not getting fired at 6-6) that going 6-6 means you beat 3 really bad football teams to finish. We could look like crap and win. It's possible.

jwells
10-16-2019, 07:00 PM
The cut and dried approach is fine. Problem is(and I recognize he's not getting fired at 6-6) that going 6-6 means you beat 3 really bad football teams to finish. We could look like crap and win. It's possible.

I guess I don’t think we’ll beat 3 teams unless there is a change in our intensity. If we play well enough to win 3 more games, it would mean we probably improved in a few areas.

Homedawg
10-16-2019, 07:14 PM
I guess I don’t think we’ll beat 3 teams unless there is a change in our intensity. If we play well enough to win 3 more games, it would mean we probably improved in a few areas.

Oh I don't either. But it's possible. And should. Just won't.

hacker
10-16-2019, 07:32 PM
What did Kylin say during halftime?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-16-2019, 09:34 PM
I know this ain't the thread for it OP but is Nick still done & Howland retiring? Just curious?

Commercecomet24
10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
I know this ain't the thread for it OP but is Nick still done & Howland retiring? Just curious?

Rep given!

Todd4State
10-16-2019, 11:02 PM
If we win 6 this year it's because of Shrader- not Moorhead. Which would be fine with me other than the fact it increases the odds that Joe returns.

What I hope happens at this point is we win 6, beat Ole Miss, go to the Birmingham or Indy Bowl and Joe leaves for Rutgers or some other Big 10 job on his own. That is the best "realistic" scenario at this point. Honestly, if I was MSU and we won six I would strongly encourage Joe to leave anyway. At least unlike Dan Joe would probably happily accept a job like Maryland and we aren't overpaying AAV on the contract to make most jobs a downgrade in pay.

PKADogs55
10-16-2019, 11:26 PM
Jesus...add this to the other 15 threads. It's getting old. Just have a little faith, hope for the best, and see how it plays out.

Jack Lambert
10-17-2019, 09:25 AM
The egg bowl is going to feature a 5-6 Miss State vs a 4-7 Ole Miss.

msudawg1200
10-17-2019, 09:40 AM
People, we ain't winning six games. After the first half at Auburn, i said 4-8 was a possibility and I was laughed at. Talent wise no doubt we should beat UPig and Ole Miss, but with Joe in charge it ain't happening. We'll beat ACU and that's it. Thanks Joe.

Dawgology
10-17-2019, 09:52 AM
We will finish 4-8 this season.

Unfortunately.

Scared_Hitless
10-17-2019, 09:54 AM
I think 6-6 he gets a year with Garrett but midseason firing is on the table also no extension. If we go 5-7 or 4-8 I am fine with cutting bait and moving on.

Based on what Cohen has said he really believes in giving a coach a full recruiting cycle so 4 years. I pray if we keep regressing he wisens up in this area.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2019, 08:16 AM
I think 6-6 he gets a year with Garrett but midseason firing is on the table also no extension. If we go 5-7 or 4-8 I am fine with cutting bait and moving on.

Based on what Cohen has said he really believes in giving a coach a full recruiting cycle so 4 years. I pray if we keep regressing he wisens up in this area.

If we were getting effort and execution out of the current players then I would say yes even if we slipped up against a team like UT. We just don't look like a SEC team and we have decent talent. Even with Joe blowing up the QB room, we still had a lot of experience coming into this year outside of the DT position. You also have to think, the DT position is only 2 players at a time. We have experienced DEs which make up the other half of the LOS along with very experienced LBs. This wasn't supposed to be a down year as far as record goes. We have just had really shitty coaching and motivation.

Unfortunately it seems that Joe wins the interviews and press conferences but not on the field.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Yeah, now that I?m not pissed off to the highest state of pisstivity......

There is plenty to worry about game wise at halftime that you can?t sit around and monitor every player for cell phone use. With that said... the discipline, focus and all that was to be instilled from day 1 and this summer. It is what it is at this point.

I don?t think we can say fire him if doesn?t win 6 games. Regardless if he wins 4 or 5 or 6 ..... there has to be a legit candidate to take the job. We can?t fire him just to be firing him.

Getting to 6 wins..... You do have Shrader here. Hill will be back. Then you have a few young receivers and we are playing some young guys on defense with Gay returning. Maybe we get to 6 wins again next year.

However naming Shrader the starter is a step in the right direction by JoMo of getting to 6 wins this season. By letting GS take first team reps in practice, that may focus the entire offense and may help us to execute cleaner. Hopefully by the Arkansas and OM games, the offense finds a rhythm. The defense feeds off that and everyone raises their level of effort after some success here and there.

Maybe this weekend we can put some points on the board and keep it close. Build from there to get to 6 wins.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Yeah, now that I?m not pissed off to the highest state of pisstivity......

There is plenty to worry about game wise at halftime that you can?t sit around and monitor every player for cell phone use. With that said... the discipline, focus and all that was to be instilled from day 1 and this summer. It is what it is at this point.

I don?t think we can say fire him if doesn?t win 6 games. Regardless if he wins 4 or 5 or 6 ..... there has to be a legit candidate to take the job. We can?t fire him just to be firing him.

Getting to 6 wins..... You do have Shrader here. Hill will be back. Then you have a few young receivers and we are playing some young guys on defense with Gay returning. Maybe we get to 6 wins again next year.

However naming Shrader the starter is a step in the right direction by JoMo of getting to 6 wins this season. By letting GS take first team reps in practice, that may focus the entire offense and may help us to execute cleaner. Hopefully by the Arkansas and OM games, the offense finds a rhythm. The defense feeds off that and everyone raises their level of effort after some success here and there.

Maybe this weekend we can put some points on the board and keep it close. Build from there to get to 6 wins.

The bottom line is looking how we looked at UT with two weeks to prepare is a huge Red Flag. I don't even care that we lost, we looked like garbage doing it. You can't win SEC games with that lack of preparation, effort, and focus. Saban would have probably physically assaulted everyone on that sideline including the water boys. This isn't Little League where you pat them on the butt and tell them just to try harder next time.

Duckdog
10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
The offense hasn't found a rhythm since the joe started

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2019, 10:13 AM
The bottom line is looking how we looked at UT with two weeks to prepare is a huge Red Flag. I don't even care that we lost, we looked like garbage doing it. You can't win SEC games with that lack of preparation, effort, and focus. Saban would have probably physically assaulted everyone on that sideline including the water boys. This isn't Little League where you pat them on the butt and tell them just to try harder next time.

I agree with all that. But we aren’t firing him mid-season unless he is pulling a Canazaro. So I’ve come to the conclusion, my outlook for the rest of the season is to pray this Shrader starting, can spark something. I know.... JoMo hasn’t shown shit yet to give us faith things will Get cleaned up. I have doubts too.

However the OP seems to be asking for an optimistic outlook. That’s as optimistic of .02 cents as I got.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2019, 10:56 AM
I agree with all that. But we aren’t firing him mid-season unless he is pulling a Canazaro. So I’ve come to the conclusion, my outlook for the rest of the season is to pray this Shrader starting, can spark something. I know.... JoMo hasn’t shown shit yet to give us faith things will Get cleaned up. I have doubts too.

However the OP seems to be asking for an optimistic outlook. That’s as optimistic of .02 cents as I got.

I know we aren't firing him mid season but the reasons to look in another direction are piling up each week. This has to at least have Cohen on the ready if the season comes to an end and we are sitting here with a 4-8 record with the way we have played. We very well could have lost that ULL or UK game. I will say we could have won the KSU game but I honestly think coaching lost that game. Kicking to their badass returner combined with not having Kylin run the ball on 3rd and 2 when you have been having success. Those are two at best very questionable decisions that directly affected the outcome of the game.

TrapGame
10-18-2019, 11:19 AM
I know we aren't firing him mid season but the reasons to look in another direction are piling up each week. This has to at least have Cohen on the ready if the season comes to an end and we are sitting here with a 4-8 record with the way we have played. We very well could have lost that ULL or UK game. I will say we could have won the KSU game but I honestly think coaching lost that game. Kicking to their badass returner combined with not having Kylin run the ball on 3rd and 2 when you have been having success. Those are two at best very questionable decisions that directly affected the outcome of the game.

Joe has been mentioned as a possible candidate for three jobs: Rutgers, Illinois and Boston College. If Cohen is worth a damn as AD he has already sent feelers out to agents gauging interest in taking our job if Joe decides to move on. If he is getting legit feedback from some impressive names/solid candidates then getting to 6-6 is a must for Joe.

PGHBulldogBG
10-18-2019, 12:42 PM
People mention Moorhead’s recruiting as if we have a top 10 class. A lot of people bashed Mullen for classes similar or just slightly worse. I will give him credit for doing the best any coach has done in that aspect, but it’s not enough to keep him. While recruiting is important, I would rather have a coach than a recruiter

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Yeah, no question. We should be 4-2 at worst at the moment. Cohen knows that. We all know it.

I guarantee Cohen has some coaches in mind. Also I guarantee we don?t counter offer if... IF... JoMo leaves. With that said, it?s all speculation at This point. Still half the season to go.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2019, 01:59 PM
People mention Moorhead’s recruiting as if we have a top 10 class. A lot of people bashed Mullen for classes similar or just slightly worse. I will give him credit for doing the best any coach has done in that aspect, but it’s not enough to keep him. While recruiting is important, I would rather have a coach than a recruiter

We missed a golden opportunity to recruit a MS kid at UT last Saturday. Oh well.....

timotheus
10-18-2019, 02:14 PM
At this point folks, the weight is all shifted to the Arkansas game. Lose this game and it'll be way way hotter than it even is now. Everybody is hoping that JoMO can defeat Arkansas, AC and the sharks. Losses are expected in the other remaining games.

TrapGame
10-18-2019, 02:34 PM
At this point folks, the weight is all shifted to the Arkansas game. Lose this game and it'll be way way hotter than it even is now. Everybody is hoping that JoMO can defeat Arkansas, AC and the sharks. Losses are expected in the other remaining games.

Horka said in his article yesterday that losing to Arkansas will trigger certain things in the athletic department. If we do lose expect him to be looking for another job either as HC or OC somewhere else.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Horka said in his article yesterday that losing to Arkansas will trigger certain things in the athletic department. If we do lose expect him to be looking for another job either as HC or OC somewhere else.

Losing to 2 of the worst P5 teams in the country would make it hard for any coach that isn't established. I don't see how Joe would survive if he misses a bowl and loses to two programs that are in dumpster fire mode.