PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt film study up

Irondawg
10-16-2019, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59YiXN1yu4

Some good takes on there - mostly that Tommy's head just wasn't thinking quick enough - then he got hesistant and then he rushed amid a few bad throws. Just a bad day at the office for him.

I hate it form him b/c I think he's a talented QB, but he simply doesn't read and react at SEC speed right now.

Tbonewannabe
10-16-2019, 03:27 PM
I am not sure that you can consistently get a QB that can read and react through everything Joe wants to do with the speed of SEC defenses. I think it is something that works at Fordham or if you have a NFL type of QB.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-16-2019, 03:31 PM
That was hard to watch. I was yelling at the screen again like last Saturday. TS has some skills but his ability to see the field and his play awareness is very poor. Most of the sacks taken this year by TS would have been avoided by Fitz, KT and Dak. Throw in laziness and lack of smarts on the part of many of the players and we see the results.

Irondawg
10-16-2019, 03:39 PM
The lazy stuff bugged me the most.

GS seems to process the field faster than TS which is disppointing but it is what it is

yjnkdawg
10-16-2019, 03:43 PM
The lazy stuff bugged me the most.

GS seems to process the field faster than TS which is disppointing but it is what it is

Yep!

yjnkdawg
10-16-2019, 03:48 PM
I am not sure that you can consistently get a QB that can read and react through everything Joe wants to do with the speed of SEC defenses. I think it is something that works at Fordham or if you have a NFL type of QB.

I wish he would try to run the LSU check with me offense. It seems less complicated, and the play calling seems a lot better. Of course we don't have Burrow, the rest of the LSU offense, or Joe Brady, the guru behind their game planning, who helps call the plays, which may make running the LSU scheme a moot point in our situation.

Percho
10-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Just watched the first series of the Tenn game. If No 8 blocks no 20 we just might have gotten a first down. Maybe it isn't all TS.

timotheus
10-16-2019, 04:59 PM
8 actually did make a good block in the 3rd qtr but green dropped the pass

Irondawg
10-16-2019, 05:09 PM
On other series though TS threw behind Zuber for a potential first down on 2nd series and then later bounced one to a wide open Guidry on another 3rd down. It's not all him, but he's not helping himself either

dawgday166
10-16-2019, 05:22 PM

Some good takes on there - mostly that Tommy's head just wasn't thinking quick enough - then he got hesistant and then he rushed amid a few bad throws. Just a bad day at the office for him.

I hate it form him b/c I think he's a talented QB, but he simply doesn't read and react at SEC speed right now.

Tommy is too afraid of the pass rush. That's his problem. And when a blitzer is coming unchecked he kinda freezes up and ain't sure what to do. He just won't be able to cut it at this level.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2019, 05:34 PM

It's tough. The receivers have reads too.

KB21
10-16-2019, 05:46 PM
I wish he would try to run the LSU check with me offense. It seems less complicated, and the play calling seems a lot better. Of course we don't have Burrow, the rest of the LSU offense, or Joe Brady, the guru behind their game planning, who helps call the plays, which may make running the LSU scheme a moot point in our situation.

You do realize that LSU's passing offense is Joe Moorhead's passing offense. Brady learned it under Moorhead at Penn State.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2019, 07:03 PM
You do realize that LSU's passing offense is Joe Moorhead's passing offense. Brady learned it under Moorhead at Penn State.

No he didn't.

Coach34
10-16-2019, 07:06 PM

I've said this since the day we hired him. Glad to see everyone now catching up. Everything cant be a read. Some plays simply have to called and run. SEC D's dont allow you to read all the time- you cant possibly do it against all the man coverage and SEC speed

Coach34
10-16-2019, 07:09 PM
It's tough. The receivers have reads too.

exactly- and why I knew Zuber would basically be a non-factor for at least 2/3 of this season. Too much speed in the SEC for all that EVERY PLAY

maroonmania
10-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Tommy is too afraid of the pass rush. That's his problem. And when a blitzer is coming unchecked he kinda freezes up and ain't sure what to do. He just won't be able to cut it at this level.

Yep, probably why he looks so good in practice. As many times as he has suffered injuries maybe he is paranoid about taking a hit.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2019, 07:38 PM
exactly- and why I knew Zuber would basically be a non-factor for at least 2/3 of this season. Too much speed in the SEC for all that EVERY PLAY

can you explain to me why nearly every play is a RPO AND we do the check with me? Shouldn't the RPO negate the need to check with the sideline on EVERY single snap?

Really Clark?
10-16-2019, 08:00 PM

It is Sean Payton?s offense. Brady uses RPO?s and some plays from Joe and others but the system he and Emsfinger developed last spring is based mostly on Payton?s philosophy, schemes, tempo, personnel. Brady spent part of a year with Joe but years with Payton learning. Sean Payton is the base and philosophy he has built upon.

Coach34
10-16-2019, 08:12 PM
can you explain to me why nearly every play is a RPO AND we do the check with me? Shouldn't the RPO negate the need to check with the sideline on EVERY single snap?

Bingo. No I cant. It's dumb that every play is an RPO- sometime the play should just be power to the TB or a quick bubble to the slot. The constant check with me is another wtf. Once the play is called- run it and let the QB make the read. JoVester is trying to make the read for the QB ahead of time instead by doing the check with me's. But the D's are also making changes and killing those reads. It's a waste

Coursesuper
10-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Bingo. No I cant. It's dumb that every play is an RPO- sometime the play should just be power to the TB or a quick bubble to the slot. The constant check with me is another wtf. Once the play is called- run it and let the QB make the read. JoVester is trying to make the read for the QB ahead of time instead by doing the check with me's. But the D's are also making changes and killing those reads. It's a waste

Classic case of paralysis by analysis.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2019, 08:19 PM

I thought maybe I was missing something. It's just mind blowing that a guy who seems to have a reasonable amount of intelligence and who has ascended to this level of his profession continues to do the same thing over and over even though it's not working. I guess it got him here and made him millions of dollars so it's hard to change.

He should send half his check every month to Trace McSorley, Barkley, Geiski, and Godwin.

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2019, 10:46 PM

1st & Goal from the Auburn 1 immediately springs to mind. Call TB power to Hill, snap the ball quickly, punch it in for an easy score. Instead, we have to wait 30 seconds, "check with me," and get a false start. The 3 words I probably hate most in the English language right now are "check with me."

War Machine Dawg
10-16-2019, 10:52 PM
I've said this since the day we hired him. Glad to see everyone now catching up. Everything cant be a read. Some plays simply have to called and run. SEC D's dont allow you to read all the time- you cant possibly do it against all the man coverage and SEC speed

I'd also add that this offense seems very reliant on the D making mistakes. That's fine when you're one of the giants in your league and only play 1-2 legitimately good teams a year. But what happens when you're the minnow playing the sharks every week? What happens when you go up against Saban, Aranda, Boom, Smart, etc. who's defenses are so well coached they almost never make a mistake? You're screwed, as we've seen for a year and a half now. That's why we put up a decent number of points against the bad teams but get completely shut down every time we play a D with a pulse.

Coach007
10-16-2019, 11:37 PM

On the first play he shows, he should have backed up the play. Two things happened. TS made the audible to Hill in protection.. which means It's no longer an RPO (btw... not every play ran is an RPO) He made all of the pre snap reads correctly. Hill missed the block and the Slot did not change his route.

On the last play... that was a True freshman that missed a tackle on the TD.

Todd4State
10-17-2019, 12:13 AM
Just watched the video.

The thing that really stood out to me:

1. We're lazy and not physical enough on both sides of the ball. I don't think any of us needed an in depth breakdown to figure that out. But that to me is the number one thing that is killing us right now.

2. Stevens shouldn't have played and should have been pulled out after two series max. It seemed like he held on to the ball way too long way too many times in that breakdown video. The plays were there to be made and he just didn't/couldn't pull the trigger. A couple of times we had guys wide ass open- sometimes more than one.

Scared_Hitless
10-17-2019, 10:15 AM

We have to take the LSU, Bama, Ohio State approach and bait the defense into the reads we want with the RPO. Cannot allow false looks to dictate to us what we are running. Time to be the one breaking tendencies. Their is a reason why the RPO is effective, and that same reasoning is why no one is running it 100% of the time like Ohio State tried. It is not sustainable and you can be fooled on O. Also as you said sometimes we just need to line up and run a quick hitting running play. Hell after watching our film the D will never expect it.

TXDawg
10-17-2019, 01:54 PM
It is Sean Payton?s offense. Brady uses RPO?s and some plays from Joe and others but the system he and Emsfinger developed last spring is based mostly on Payton?s philosophy, schemes, tempo, personnel. Brady spent part of a year with Joe but years with Payton learning. Sean Payton is the base and philosophy he has built upon.

From the SI article that was written after LSU's game against Texas:

?Lucked out with all that,? Brady says. He?s humble. It is not his offense, he says, but is instead a conglomeration of ideas from the staff organized by Ensminger. He?s too modest to tell you that many of the ideas are his, the drop-back passing concepts from Payton and the RPO game from Moorhead.

Not defending Moorhead, but by his own admission, Brady's offense is heavily influenced by Moorhead (and Payton).

Homedawg
10-17-2019, 02:05 PM
On the first play he shows, he should have backed up the play. Two things happened. TS made the audible to Hill in protection.. which means It's no longer an RPO (btw... not every play ran is an RPO) He made all of the pre snap reads correctly. Hill missed the block and the Slot did not change his route.

On the last play... that was a True freshman that missed a tackle on the TD.

While yes a tr fr missed the tackle AND took a terrible angle. We had 3 others take terrible terrible angles and none of those were fr. That's a clip to show teams how not to play.

Really Clark?
10-17-2019, 02:08 PM
From the SI article that was written after LSU's game against Texas:

?Lucked out with all that,? Brady says. He?s humble. It is not his offense, he says, but is instead a conglomeration of ideas from the staff organized by Ensminger. He?s too modest to tell you that many of the ideas are his, the drop-back passing concepts from Payton and the RPO game from Moorhead.

Not defending Moorhead, but by his own admission, Brady's offense is heavily influenced by Moorhead (and Payton).

I said he used some of Moorehead?s RPO stuff and plays but the actual system was put together by him and Emsfinger. The system is based majority of Payton...uptempo, personnel groupings, defensive attack, overall philosophy is based on Payton?s offense. The RPO plays that they wanted to add to the system is Moorehead but it not a complete RPO offense and the RPO?s that are run are run from the Payton philosophy...scheme or if you want to say their own that?s true but the influence is more heavily Saints (also if you want to go all the back to his William & Mary days as well there is some of that). The plays are there but it is not or never has been Mooreheads offense and that is what many have said like responded too. They are not running Moorehead?s offense

Scared_Hitless
10-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Good grief that was hard to watch, we are the laziest half assed effort SEC team I have ever watched. Go to the 11 min mark and watch one of our Captains Errol Thompson follow up lazy coverage by not pursuing the ballcarrier. We need a coach to jump some of these players. It is hard to stomach the right plays were called multiple times on O and D and we are to damn lazy to execute.

TrapGame
10-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Good grief that was hard to watch, we are the laziest half assed effort SEC team I have ever watched. Go to the 11 min mark and watch one of our Captains Errol Thompson follow up lazy coverage by not pursuing the ballcarrier. We need a coach to jump some of these players. It is hard to stomach the right plays were called multiple times on O and D and we are to damn lazy to execute.

Yeah, Joe just needs another year.***

Scared_Hitless
10-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Yeah, Joe just needs another year.***

Remember point the Thumb not the finger....... Plus at this level you don't coach effort. I believe at this point that much is obvious we damn sure don't coach it nor hold it accountable.

Never did I think we needed more STRAIN, but yep we do.

dawgday166
10-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Remember point the Thumb not the finger....... Plus at this level you don't coach effort. I believe at this point that much is obvious we damn sure don't coach it nor hold it accountable.

Never did I think we needed more STRAIN, but yep we do.

Joe actually used that word in his PC the other day. I never thought I'd say this but ... It sounded GREAT. Unfortunately, I don't think Joe, while having a large vocabulary, understands the meaning of that word.

RezDog7
10-17-2019, 02:37 PM
I will admit I hung on to hope that Moorhead was the guy for far too long. Mainly because I wanted our recent success to more about MSU and less about Mullen. I didn't watch the TN game (thank god for deer camp work day) but the result and film study did it for me. Dude needs to get his shit and go. Hate it didn't work out but time to move on.

Homedawg
10-17-2019, 03:31 PM
I will admit I hung on to hope that Moorhead was the guy for far too long. Mainly because I wanted our recent success to more about MSU and less about Mullen. I didn't watch the TN game (thank god for deer camp work day) but the result and film study did it for me. Dude needs to get his shit and go. Hate it didn't work out but time to move on.

Clearly you can't see. There is no regression, we are getting better.*** it's a rebuild*** even though jomo himself said we were going to go from good to great and 007 said we would go 11-1. But now it's a rebuild.... ok

Coursesuper
10-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Clearly you can't see. There is no regression, we are getting better.*** it's a rebuild*** even though jomo himself said we were going to go from good to great and 007 said we would go 11-1. But now it's a rebuild.... ok

It's amazing how the story keeps shifting isn't it.

SheltonChoked
10-17-2019, 04:25 PM

That's not what I saw from MAtt's breakdown. Stevens made the right read. And made it fast enough, but didn't pull the trigger. Instead he hitched or paused. That's where the SEC defense gets you. That extra beat.

Matt said as much. And said the way you get through it is to sit.