PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to be positive

BB30
10-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Guys, give me some reasons to be positive about MSU athletics. Ill start it off...

We have a baseball program that is on solid footing and will have a chance to be competing for championships over the next few years. We look to have a solid coaching staff in place that recruits/wins and represents our university well.

We have a men's basketball program that has made it out of really a decade long drought, made the tourney last year and should have another respectable year this year. Things look to be slowly but surely headed in the right direction if we can just get some fan support. We also have a solid, proven head coach that while some have griped and complained about has turned around a program that wasn't even on life support, we were dead in the water. I'm about ready for some basketball after the way the football season has gone. Hopefully they don't lay an egg as well. Guys, give Howland a break this year, we could be doing a whole hell of a lot worse than we are right now. At the very least the next coach that comes along once Howland retires should be set up fairly well and won't have to rebuild the program from the ground up except for maybe the one thing us fans actually control and that's attendance. If you can get there for the girls games you can at least make it for Saturday mens games. GTR area, looking at you.

Women's basketball is arguably in the most dominant stretch that any MSU team in any sport has ever seen. The girls just flat out ball and play their butts off every single game. Enough said there.

Football, well it's Mississippi State football. What more can be said. It may be another 6-10 years before we see another run like we've had over the last decade but at some point we will have another season where we are competitive with the big dogs(you older dogs may not live to see it but us younger fans will). We have some talent on the roster in the event that we do have a new coach next year or the following so it shouldn't be a croomesque rebuild. There are only two other positives I can find with our football program right now. One being that I have more free time on saturdays than I have had in a long time to get some bow hunting in and knock out some of the honey do list. Two, we have a nice new shiny baseball facility thanks to the money rolling in from football tv conracts. Yes, it may have not directly gone to the baseball stadium but it certainly helped move the new DUDE project up the list since the football money is paying for other stuff that normally booster/donation money would be being asked to pay for first.

Now, notice, I said positive. This is more of a social experiment to see if you all can follow directions and keep it positive. My guess is this gets about 3 posts deep before turning into a Negative Nancy thread like every other post. For that first negative a** that has to ruin a good thing, well, I will have a beer in your honor and be thankful that you aren't my neighbor. Unless of course you're my neighbor in which case I guess I'm just SOL and will have that beer anyway or three and come mow your yard for you since you apparently can't keep up with it.

Lets see what you can add guys. Bonus points if you add something of substance that involves our more obscure sports like Women's soccer/track and field/Softball etc.

Coach007
10-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Our sports over all is at an all time high.

I will focus on Football.

- A staff that recruits at a higher level.
- They are meeting the needs of the gaps that surface every 2-3 years which has plagued MSU Football for a decade.
- The staff seems to be addressing the balance of recruiting that we lacked the past years of Mullen.
- Improvement in some Wrs
- What will be the greatest QB to leave MS ST should he stay healthy. He will have the opportunity to shatter records.
- Bringing in more QBs.
- Able to reach beyond our usual recruiting areas to bring in players.
- We have seen flashes of what the offense will be and it's a great system.

Activated Alpha
10-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Our sports over all is at an all time high.

I will focus on Football.

- A staff that recruits at a higher level.
- They are meeting the needs of the gaps that surface every 2-3 years which has plagued MSU Football for a decade.
- The staff seems to be addressing the balance of recruiting that we lacked the past years of Mullen.
- Improvement in some Wrs
- What will be the greatest QB to leave MS ST should he stay healthy. He will have the opportunity to shatter records.
- Bringing in more QBs.
- Able to reach beyond our usual recruiting areas to bring in players.
- We have seen flashes of what the offense will be and it's a great system.

Figured a current football coach would only want to talk about football and not the other MSU sports...?.

Tbonewannabe
10-16-2019, 03:35 PM
I believe Women's soccer, softball, and volleyball are moving in the right direction.

Baseball - we are on as solid of a foundation with the facilities and coaches to take it to the next level and be a consistent CWS team.
Basketball - we are finally back to a Big Dance team and with very good recruiting
Women's basketball - recruiting is improving and we are a top ten program right now. We definitely have the ability to win a National Title with the girls on campus right now.
Football - we still have a chance to keep the bowl streak alive. We will have more on the field talent than 3 of the remaining teams left with 2 of those games at home. Joe seems to be recruiting better than Mullen.

dantheman4248
10-16-2019, 03:57 PM
What good is recruiting when players who have been coached in Moorhead’s system for 4 years can’t beat guys fresh off the boat and a bunch of the players we do have seemingly regressed from last season to this season.

Todd4State
10-16-2019, 04:05 PM
The baseball schedule came out today and it’s close to perfect.

dantheman4248
10-16-2019, 04:09 PM
The baseball schedule came out today and it’s close to perfect.

Swap Vandy for Florida and sink the Commodores out of the sport and it’s exactly perfect IMO.

Dawg_Lover
10-16-2019, 04:18 PM
BB30, ?It may be another 6-10 years before we see another run like we've had over the last decade ....?

Oh rats, I hope that doesn?t happen. I might not be topside long enough to see it.

Lord McBuckethead
10-16-2019, 04:48 PM
What good is recruiting when players who have been coached in Moorhead?s system for 4 years can?t beat guys fresh off the boat and a bunch of the players we do have seemingly regressed from last season to this season.

He is GD hurt. If it is a partially torn labrum, I want to see you out there trying to throw the ball.

Tbonewannabe
10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
He is GD hurt. If it is a partially torn labrum, I want to see you out there trying to throw the ball.

That would make sense why he looked so good the first few games and now it looks like his arm strength has went way down.

dawgday166
10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Women's hoops. May take a step back this year, but Vic's gals will be scrapping and will play tough.
Men's hoops. Taking steps forward. I'm a Howland fan. Be nice to have a deeper run in the tourney this year.
Baseball. Did well last year. See if Lemonis can keep it going. He inherited a good team and I like him.
Football. Long road back to respectability and playing tough.

dantheman4248
10-16-2019, 05:29 PM

That’s poor coaching if we’re playing a QB with a still injured shoulder. Any way you spin it, this is poor coaching.

Mobile Bay
10-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Don't forget we are the dominant javelin program in the nation right now.

Baseball, I do think we will make the post season. Omaha, well who knows. I do think we will regress some. But that is only because you simply cannot replace Jake Mangum. Yes I know we had Palmero and Clark and a bunch of other MLBr's But I think Mangum is the greatest baseball player our school has ever had.

I never cared much for basketball. So I have no opinion there.

BB30
10-17-2019, 09:57 AM
What good is recruiting when players who have been coached in Moorhead’s system for 4 years can’t beat guys fresh off the boat and a bunch of the players we do have seemingly regressed from last season to this season.

I see you can't follow directions**

Scared_Hitless
10-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Easy to be positive it is almost basketball season. Honestly very excited to watch Reggie Perry and the Men's team this season.

We know what we have with Vic that team is going to compete for a Natty again and we are finally getting top recruits to match. Question or when not if IMO.

Also baseball is going to have a great season, two early games in Biloxi that I can attend easily so that is fun. Hopefully we can avoid injuries the rest of fall already have lost a pitcher we were counting on.

Turfdawg67
10-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Reasons to be excited? Bobby Petrino is available?? I kid... sort of.

ETA... Look, I get it... he's scum. But Jackie's rep wasn't very good when he came here either. This could be Petrino's swan song too. Watching the 2016 matchup between Louisville and Clemson and 4 games into the season, Louisville was AVERAGING 62 pts/game and 682 yds/game!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-17-2019, 04:49 PM
That would make sense why he looked so good the first few games and now it looks like his arm strength has went way down.

What makes sense is why he wasn't the starter at PSU or in position to win it this year up there.

timotheus
10-17-2019, 05:16 PM
I knew we were in trouble when we couldn't flat out throttle ULL and USM offensively. Stevens is a good guy but he's very fragile and passive. Combine that with no mojo JoMO and here we are.

dawgday166
10-17-2019, 05:33 PM
I knew we were in trouble when we couldn't flat out throttle ULL and USM offensively. Stevens is a good guy but he's very fragile and passive. Combine that with no mojo JoMO and here we are.

Wut? According to a couple on here those were 2 of the most impressive offensive performances we've had ******

timotheus
10-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Yep and there lies the issue. I had figured all along that the SEC defenses would ultimately prove whether JoMo had an offensive pulse this season or not and that is looking to be true. I wish i could find something to make it look more pleasant but there in nothing to currently be found.