PDA

View Full Version : College Football 150: The American Game

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2019, 07:38 PM
The episode that aired tonight was about the evolution of televising college football.

So many interesting things took place.

NOtre Dame And Penn Quakers had their own TV network deals in the 1950s. The ncaa came in after a few years and says you can’t do that. The NCAA screwed Penns future in football.

Then the lawsuit in 1980s against the ncaa rules regarding televised games and teams. From 50-70s the rule was one game per week and a school could only be shown once per season.

The Arguments in support of the ncaa rule were that TV would negatively effect attendance and create a huge advantage for the bigger schools.

Are the real effects of TV showing Today? For example Alabama recruiting nation wide now and being far more talented than other conference schools.

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Bump. I’m tired of the coaching rumors.

My first recall of State on TV.... State playing on tv in the Sun bowl 80, vs Missouri and Bama in 81. LSU In 82 or 83 at night. Georgia and Hershel one year. Then around 85 with TBS, I recall we were on tv about once or twice a year with TBS/JP. 91: we had a huge game with Texas and then in 92 the Thursday night Florida game was big. I think that was 92.