PDA

View Full Version : SEC This Morning on SXM: Moorhead

TrapGame
10-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Chris Doering laid it out against Moorhead this morning.

1) In Moorhead's press conference yesterday he talked about building something. We are getting there. We are building something special. Doering responded saying he doesn't understand why Joe thinks he walked into a program that needed a complete rebuild. He inherited a very talented team out of the box. Joe is underachieving. Doering wants to know why were aren't using Kylin Hill more, get him into space. He's explosive. Again, Doering wanted to know why Joe thinks he has to tear down what Mullen had to build "his" program. Doering said he expects that out of Chad Morris not Joe Moorhead.

2) Moorhead underachieving last year is damn near criminal. Doering said last year's team was a 10 win program and not being able, as an offensive genius, to get that team to 10 wins is troubling. This year's team is a 7/8 win team in Doering's mind and according to him we will be lucky to get to 6-6. Again, he placed it on Moorhead's coaching. He doesn't understand why Shrader was not starting vs Tennessee. He said keeping Stevens in the entire first half doing absolutely nothing with a...here we go... offensive genius (At this point I'm thinking Doering is being facetious.) is very concerning. He talked about how soft we looked and that's a KILLER in the SEC. He revisited KSU and how they pushed us around. He laid that at Joe's feet at not really understanding the SEC culture.

3) And here's the puke icing on the turd cake. Doering says he sees the Egg Bowl a game to see who goes bowling between us and om. He said Joe losing the EB in Starkville allowing OM back in a bowl game and finishing 5-7 should be enough to get him fired.

4) Doering finished by saying he didn't think Joe is SEC HC material. He thinks MSU is withering under his leadership.

Folks, the sports media thinks he's a dud. His pity party speech yesterday is not gaining him sympathy among people who do this for a living. They see right through it.

msstate7
10-15-2019, 11:49 AM
So Doering said pretty much what some on this board have said for over a year. Glad state fans are finally opening their eyes... it's time

TrapGame
10-15-2019, 11:55 AM
So Doering said pretty much what some on this board have said for over a year. Glad state fans are finally opening their eyes... it's time

Man, it's so freaking obvious now. There is no sunshine. It is what it is.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I think some of the team leadership last year on the defensive side was enough to keep it on the rails. Simmons and Abram were very vocal and pretty much wouldn't put up with less than 100% effort. They helped mask the other issues on the team. I also think Piroli was a good S&C which helped build the base of the team. Joe promoting a guy who is either not ready or not SEC S&C material killed us for this year. It lead us to be a soft, non physical team. It is a huge red flag when you get pushed around by a middle of the pack Big 12 team. There are only a handful of teams in the Big 12 that even play physical football.

R2Dawg
10-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Wow, got to give some credit to media guys for seeing things the way they are. Not a big Doering fan but he pretty much nailed it. I said when Joe came in I hope he was ready because that was about the worst situation he could ask for - a loaded team ready to win 10, too much pressure. I knew we were in trouble when he mentioned early last year about building something, and change the culture??

Anyone wants to feel sorry, feel sorry for MSU fans for going thru this again only 10 years removed from Croom.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 11:58 AM
I wonder if we are preparing the media so it isn't a big surprise that Joe is let go. Obviously, if Joe makes a game of it at A&M, LSU, and Bama at home along with making a bowl then he probably comes back next year. Missing a bowl game with this schedule should be a fireable offense. I said it before anything happened but 6-6 is the floor on this season. Even getting to 6 losses means you underachieved and shit the bed in some games. We have now gotten to losing all of the toss up games and some games that should be gimmees.

TrapGame
10-15-2019, 12:05 PM
The asshole co-host with Doering tried to make it sound like we were whining, lowly, poor ol' Mis'ippi Tate and we should just let Joe do his best. Doering had NONE of that. THat's when he went into the they are a talented team and what Mullen achieved can be achieved by other coaches with balls and brains, basically.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Here's Doering's evaluation of the status of the MSU football program summed up in a gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MinorDenseEsok-size_restricted.gif

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Moorhead admitted it himself that we had a good program built on a solid foundation. Now he is trying to backtrack and say that he had to tear it down to rebuild. Other than having some holes in the DT roster, we were built to be a consistent 7-8 win bowl team with an occasional 4 year high to push toward 10-11 wins. Most people know this so rolling back to 4-5 wins is complete bullshit and it has to do with coaching.

parabrave
10-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Chris Doering laid it out against Moorhead this morning.

1) In Moorhead's press conference yesterday he talked about building something. We are getting there. We are building something special. Doering responded saying he doesn't understand why Joe thinks he walked into a program that needed a complete rebuild. He inherited a very talented team out of the box. Joe is underachieving. Doering wants to know why were aren't using Kylin Hill more, get him into space. He's explosive. Again, Doering wanted to know why Joe thinks he has to tear down what Mullen had to build "his" program. Doering said he expects that out of Chad Morris not Joe Moorhead.

2) Moorhead underachieving last year is damn near criminal. Doering said last year's team was a 10 win program and not being able, as an offensive genius, to get that team to 10 wins is troubling. This year's team is a 7/8 win team in Doering's mind and according to him we will be lucky to get to 6-6. Again, he placed it on Moorhead's coaching. He doesn't understand why Shrader was not starting vs Tennessee. He said keeping Stevens in the entire first half doing absolutely nothing with a...here we go... offensive genius (At this point I'm thinking Doering is being facetious.) is very concerning. He talked about how soft we looked and that's a KILLER in the SEC. He revisited KSU and how they pushed us around. He laid that at Joe's feet at not really understanding the SEC culture.

3) And here's the puke icing on the turd cake. Doering says he sees the Egg Bowl a game to see who goes bowling between us and om. He said Joe losing the EB in Starkville allowing OM back in a bowl game and finishing 5-7 should be enough to get him fired.

4) Doering finished by saying he didn't think Joe is SEC HC material. He thinks MSU is withering under his leadership.

Folks, the sports media thinks he's a dud. His pity party speech yesterday is not gaining him sympathy among people who do this for a living. They see right through it.

Well he is right on all counts.

bluelightstar
10-15-2019, 12:23 PM
The media is turning. This won't end well.

BeardoMSU
10-15-2019, 12:27 PM
I know it would suck in the moment, but the last time OM embarrassed us in an Egg Bowl with palpable fan contention surrounding our head coach, we did a'ight afterwards...

As long as that event led to us not just making a move, but a good move to a new coach, I'm all for it. Because let's be real, our little-brother admin ain't firing Joe if he beats OM.

Dawgology
10-15-2019, 12:51 PM
I know it would suck in the moment, but the last time OM embarrassed us in an Egg Bowl with palpable fan contention surrounding our head coach, we did a'ight afterwards...

As long as that event led to us not just making a move, but a good move to a new coach, I'm all for it. Because let's be real, our little-brother admin ain't firing Joe if he beats OM.

My only issue is that I don't trust Cohen to make a good hire. I wish I did but I'm afraid we may end up with the same thing instead of going after a good, experienced hire.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2019, 04:29 PM
My only issue is that I don't trust Cohen to make a good hire. I wish I did but I'm afraid we may end up with the same thing instead of going after a good, experienced hire.

This is a very valid issue. Outside of baseball, I don’t think Cohen has a clue about evaluating coaches. Hopefully he’ll have someone to hold his hand through it this time so we don’t end up with the same song, second verse.

Maridian Dawg
10-15-2019, 04:40 PM
I know everyone on this board has seen this coming ever since last year, but because of the Tennessee game, people that are just the casual MSU fan are now seeing what's really happening. And I think every single State fan is coming to realize what Joe is doing to this program.

BeardoMSU
10-15-2019, 04:53 PM
This is a very valid issue. Outside of baseball, I don’t think Cohen has a clue about evaluating coaches. Hopefully he’ll have someone to hold his hand through it this time so we don’t end up with the same song, second verse.

I think the issues with Moorehead not working out is just the luck of the draw and cultural fit. As mentioned by numerous people in previous threads, Cohen landing Joe was viewed as a home run hire by nearly everyone in football. He was considered one of the premier offensive minds in the game, and one of the big up-and-coming names.

People were also impressed with the staff he put together once hired. Obviously, there's been some attrition in that regard, but still...

The Cohen hate still baffles me, tbh. Joe just didn't work out. It happens all the damn time; seemingly home run hires fizzle-out, for one reason or another. I don't know why some of y'all think we, MSU, are immune to that type of bad fortune.

timotheus
10-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Good discussion but if somebody doesn't understand why Joe was hired and not Pruitt then you really don't understand Cohen's personality.

Homedawg
10-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Moorhead admitted it himself that we had a good program built on a solid foundation. Now he is trying to backtrack and say that he had to tear it down to rebuild. Other than having some holes in the DT roster, we were built to be a consistent 7-8 win bowl team with an occasional 4 year high to push toward 10-11 wins. Most people know this so rolling back to 4-5 wins is complete bullshit and it has to do with coaching.

His words, I want to take it from good to great....

Homedawg
10-15-2019, 09:45 PM
I think the issues with Moorehead not working out is just the luck of the draw and cultural fit. As mentioned by numerous people in previous threads, Cohen landing Joe was viewed as a home run hire by nearly everyone in football. He was considered one of the premier offensive minds in the game, and one of the big up-and-coming names.

People were also impressed with the staff he put together once hired. Obviously, there's been some attrition in that regard, but still...

The Cohen hate still baffles me, tbh. Joe just didn't work out. It happens all the damn time; seemingly home run hires fizzle-out, for one reason or another. I don't know why some of y'all think we, MSU, are immune to that type of bad fortune.

Our history says, if we fire our ad every time we fire our head football coach then we will be on an ad search every 4/5 years as well. Dan was an anomaly. Doesn't mean we can't have another dan. Remember Jackie was a bama loss in 96 away from being let go more than likely.

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 11:27 PM

What Cohen misevaluated is Joe's ability to instill discipline. He made the mistake of thinking that we needed a football genius play caller at head coach when what we really needed was a good head coach who could hire good OC/DC and let them do their jobs.

I can understand why that mistake was made given Dan's background.

Cohen does need to do some soul searching beyond the football coach hiring. The whole football season has been a complete shitshow on and off the field. And sending me a t-shirt in the mail isn't going fix it. You have tutor-gate, you have the gameday experience being a complete cluster with the metal detectors not working, the concessions people not showing up, the video department rarely putting out more than a couple of videos a week, going cheap on S&C....oh yeah and then there's football team and product that has been put out on display every Saturday.

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2019, 11:35 PM
What Cohen misevaluated is Joe's ability to instill discipline. He made the mistake of thinking that we needed a football genius play caller at head coach when what we really needed was a good head coach who could hire good OC/DC and let them do their jobs.

I can understand why that mistake was made given Dan's background.

Cohen does need to do some soul searching beyond the football coach hiring. The whole football season has been a complete shitshow on and off the field. And sending me a t-shirt in the mail isn't going fix it. You have tutor-gate, you have the gameday experience being a complete cluster with the metal detectors not working, the concessions people not showing up, the video department rarely putting out more than a couple of videos a week, going cheap on S&C....oh yeah and then there's football team and product that has been put out on display every Saturday.

These are the reasons people are upset with Cohen, not just the Jughead hire. Everyone makes a bad hire. But his cuts to the marketing department while everyone else in the SEC is expanding theirs is a red flag. Potentially giving Jughead a huge buyout along with his extension and raise despite Jughead having no leverage to get that type of deal. And let's be real honest, a lot of people aren't real happy with how Cohen got the job in the first place. It felt very much like going back to the days of LT in the way it went down. Discontent with Cohen goes way beyond just screwing up one hire.

MarketingBully
10-16-2019, 05:59 AM
That Tennessee debacle was my final straw. He had two weeks to prepare his team and we got that cluster****. I got to see that Rick Ray performance in person. Pruitt is a shit head coach too. They are both examples that great coordinators aren’t always the best choice to be head coaches. Both are and will always be shit head coaches. We get a shit head coach who were great coordinators part duh when we travel up to Arkansas in a few weeks. Our only saving grace this time will be that we start Shrader there. If Moorhead started ****ing Shrader against Tennessee we beat their asses. That’s the most frustrating thing.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2019, 09:10 AM

If Cohen makes a home run hire next, the message boards will be sayin it really wasn?t him. It was Keenum or the cigar boys. That?s how it works.

Scared_Hitless
10-16-2019, 09:57 AM
I was all in on Moorhead, thought he was a great hire in the beginning then was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in Year 1 that he would turn a corner. Well he did but while turning that corner he hit a light pole and veered into the ditch. Now we are stuck in the mud alongside him. Last year was a year we had a real shot I think most know that, it sucks Mullen ditched us at the alter on a special season. This year while a rebuilding year there is no excuse for use to not have won 8 games. Not because we are great, but because we play 8 teams that suck. Ark, TN, OM, are as bad of SEC teams as you will find in this conference. We already dropped 1 along with losing to a lowly KState team.

This season will probably be salvaged by Garrett and end up 6-6 and bowling thus we endure year 3. I just see no way he wins back fan support and we will be hemorrhaging money for the next few years.

Cooterpoot
10-16-2019, 10:24 AM
I said it was a bad hire but I gave him a shot. After last season, I said his offense wouldn’t work but would wait and see with his guy at QB. It’s one big cluster 17. Our lines are both poorly coached. Our ST are a joke. We can’t even teach Hill how to block. I think Shoop is good but I’m not sold on Marve. But I’m absolutely certain this offensive scheme is terrible.
I think we lose every game but AC and Jo gets fired. OM is going to score 40 on us.

Cooterpoot
10-16-2019, 10:27 AM
If Cohen makes a home run hire next, the message boards will be sayin it really wasn?t him. It was Keenum or the cigar boys. That?s how it works.

No, we’ve already seen his 2nd hires seem better. But if he brings in Hud or some bullshit like that, Cohen needs to be fired.

TrapGame
10-16-2019, 11:04 AM
I said it was a bad hire but I gave him a shot. After last season, I said his offense wouldn’t work but would wait and see with his guy at QB. It’s one big cluster 17. Our lines are both poorly coached. Our ST are a joke. We can’t even teach Hill how to block. I think Shoop is good but I’m not sold on Marve. But I’m absolutely certain this offensive scheme is terrible.
I think we lose every game but AC and Jo gets fired. OM is going to score 40 on us.

Yeah, I'm not even sure Shrader can us to 6-6. If he started vs KSU we might have a completely outcome in W-L columns. But I think going with him now is a little too late and Joe knows it. I always thought Shrader would be the starter this season if we had not gotten Tommy. Tommy just ****ed up the inevitable. Ride or die with Shrader game one and I'd probably be a little more lenient with Joe at this point in the season.