PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Starkville

Nutriaitch
10-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Good morning Dawgs.

LSU fan here (I come in peace, I promise).

I potentially have an opportunity to attend the game this weekend. I've never been to Starkville, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Places to stay (places to avoid?)
Places to eat
Parking on campus
things to see/do while in the area

etc.
etc.

also, looking forward to discussing the game leading up to Saturday.

RiverCityDawg
10-15-2019, 10:00 AM
No offense, I'm sure you're a nice person, but what you are doing here is like a neighbor knocking on the door to meet his neighbors and say hello, but the door opens and inside there is a fire in the kitchen, the kids are running around with knives and the parents are fist fighting. It's best you close the door and go back where you came from.

Have nice day and drive safe if you come to Starkville.

Dawgology
10-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Good morning Dawgs.

I potentially have an opportunity to attend the game this weekend. I've never been to Starkville, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Places to eat
Parking on campus

etc.
etc.

I'm local so don't know much about places to stay. Places to eat: Bulldog Burger, Restaurant Tyler (brunch is amazing), Commodore Bob's, and I still like Rosey Baby or Oby's. If you're feeling lucky then you may try getting a pizza from Dave's Dark Horse (it really is the best pizza in town)

You will probably have to fight more LSU fans for parking this time than MSU fans. We always park over in the Research Park and ride the shuttle on to campus. It's just easier.

Game Discussion: the game will be over half way through the first quarter. O will hopefully call off the tigers in the second half to keep it a respectable 10-62. Tiger's double the spread easily.

trob115
10-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Places to avoid: Little Doeys ? way overrated.

Friday night dinner- the breakfast club is highly recommended. They have catfish and steaks.
1883 smokehouse is also really good.
Two brothers is also good.
Bulldog Burger is solid, but is usually packed out.

Places to stay- good luck! Most hotels are booked a year in advance. You could probably get a room on Air Bnb or a hotel in Columbus.

I think LSU wins by 35+.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 10:31 AM
If you are a history buff, we have the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library and President Lincoln documents and artifacts.

As far as bars, the Cotton District off of downtown has a bunch of small bars and Ricks Bar which is a bigger bar that I frequented when I was in college.

Veranda is a great restaurant that wasn't mentioned above.

You might just want to walk around Dudy Noble if you are interested in seeing the best college baseball ballpark in the country (no offense to Alex Box).

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Places to avoid: Little Doeys ? way overrated.

Friday night dinner- the breakfast club is highly recommended. They have catfish and steaks.
Two brothers is also good.
Bulldog Burger is solid, but is usually packed out.

Places to stay- good luck! Most hotels are booked a year in advance. You could probably get a room on Air Bnb or a hotel in Columbus.

I think LSU wins by 35+.

I would say it isn't the best BBQ like it gets raved on but it is definitely some good food. They also have pretty good margarita pitchers.

Nutriaitch
10-15-2019, 10:40 AM
You might just want to walk around Dudy Noble if you are interested in seeing the best college baseball ballpark in the country (no offense to Alex Box).

whoa! shots fired.

seriously though i am planning on at least walking around it to check it out.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2019, 10:52 AM
whoa! shots fired.

seriously though i am planning on at least walking around it to check it out.

You will be blown away. The 2 aren’t even close in comparison. Not a knock on the Box, awesome place too, but The new Dude is incredible.

coastratdog
10-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Way to change sports to one we have a chance to win.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Things to do.... Frank Foster is playing in town Friday night. North LA guy that has some great songs, country.

bobtail bob
10-15-2019, 11:04 AM
I hope you get treated like most visiting fans to Tiger dump stadium.
You probably won?t though MSU people are hospitable and kind to strangers. You?re not here to find out info you can get on trip advisor, you?re here to gloat

NeuteredDawg
10-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Save your money and watch on TV from Baton Rouge.

If you do come, I'd hit up Little Dooey for lunch, watch half the game....hit the Veranda....and drive home.

Nutriaitch
10-15-2019, 11:22 AM
You will be blown away. The 2 aren?t even close in comparison. Not a knock on the Box, awesome place too, but The new Dude is incredible.

I?ve seen pics and video and it does look amazing. The Box has become a victim of being the 1st of the AEC baseball stadiums to be built or expanded/renovated.
So everything done since then has passed it up unfortunately.

I hope you get treated like most visiting fans to Tiger dump stadium.
You probably won?t though MSU people are hospitable and kind to strangers. You?re not here to find out info you can get on trip advisor, you?re here to gloat

not here to gloat for any reason. genuinely looking for advice from locals rather than tripadvisor.
and not just locals, but actual football fans who at least have an idea what other football fans are looking for.

i?ve been in that general area before 25 years ago or so.
Went to Louisville for a cattle sale back when i was in high school

Also, i have no hatred/disrespect for your team.
I?ve never had a bad run in with any State fans when y?all play in Baton Rouge. Everyone i?ve ever met has been polite and respectful. Some good natured trash talk back and forth, of course, but nothing to get bent out of shape about.

now, those assholes is Oxford are a different story.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Speaking of overrated. ^^^^^^ Don't get the brisquet unless you like chewing on leather.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Interesting....I'll be in Baton Rouge this weekend...any suggestions on places to eat?

Nutriaitch
10-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Interesting....I'll be in Baton Rouge this weekend...any suggestions on places to eat?

TJ Ribs on S. Acadian Thruway

R2Dawg
10-15-2019, 12:07 PM
If you are a history buff, we have the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library and President Lincoln documents and artifacts.

As far as bars, the Cotton District off of downtown has a bunch of small bars and Ricks Bar which is a bigger bar that I frequented when I was in college.

Veranda is a great restaurant that wasn't mentioned above.

While on top floor of Mitchell library, check out the Templeton museum across from Grant. It is a surprise, real good.

Also check out the MSU band warm up in McCarthy; you'll have new respect for other bands. It is impressive.

Dooeys is good, go if you like; neat place to go. Obeys is good too.

Enjoy the game as you do any LSU victory, too bad you will not experience the real DWS. Game is day and we have no mojo just..... It will be like the 4th quarter in Baton Rouge in 2014 at 34-10 with empty seats everywhere.

R2Dawg
10-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Speaking of overrated. ^^^^^^ Don't get the brisquet unless you like chewing on leather.

brisquet at Dooeys is good.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Also, Oby's is a great sandwich place. Their Muffaletta is about the best you will find outside of New Orleans. Waffle fries with rotel is also delicious. We go almost every time in Starkville. I can't believe I didn't include that in my previous post.

TheLostDawg
10-15-2019, 12:24 PM
The Marriott might have some cancellations after last week's loss. The central station grill is also good.

Dental Dawg33
10-15-2019, 01:00 PM
You can probably get a room just down the road in Louisville for the night as well if you can't find any in Starkville. About a 20-30 min commute.

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Good morning Dawgs.

Places to eat
Parking on campus

etc.
etc.

Places to stay: AirBNB is probably your best if you want to stay in Starkville. You can probably still find a room in Starkville, just don't know what kind of price you'll be paying or what condition the hotel will be in. Columbus is probably your best bet if you want a hotel.
Places to eat: The Bin always has really good food. You might have to wait, but it's worth. As stated before, if you're looking for BBQ then Two Brothers is a no brainer. It's very small though so you just have to get lucky to get a seat somewhere. Bulldog Burger and Mugshots are your best bets for a burger. Mugshots has a new location on Russell St. and it's really made it a better atmosphere. Commodore Bob's is also a very good restaurant, pretty small but good food.
Parking on Campus: Not really sure about parking actually on campus, but there's a few pay lots within walking distance of the stadium and tailgating.
Things to see/do: The Cotton District has pretty good nightlife. The Guest Room downtown is also a neat spot for drinks at night.

PM me if you have any other questions. Enjoy Starkville and the ass kicking y'all will give us at 2:30 on Saturday.

dantheman4248
10-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Former employee there so I’m biased, but Dooey’s is always my recommendation for Starkville. Fried Catfish is the go-to. (Anything fried honestly, Margaret Ann’s recipes are amazing. Also the ranch is the best I’ve ever had (I hated ranch before I worked there. BWW is the only other place I’ll eat ranch from.) Strawberry Mango is the best margarita flavor. I’ve tried every concoction to figure that out. (They’re really just frozen daiquiris, not really traditional margs.)

Nightlife- Cotton District is the college aged hangout. Main street is a tad bit older. Most are 21 & over past 9. Matty’s on main street has a dance floor. Hobie’s is the chill second story bar. Moe’s has some dancing to it but ehh. Dooey’s is also open now (21 & over) outback with its bar on weekends. Everything closes at 1 except Cowbells which is 3 am (so get there before 1 if you wanna get in.) It’s the 3 in 1 club, pool hall, normal bar that gets crazy packed on Saturday night. It’s out in the highlands.

Beyond that campus is beautiful if you want to explore it. See the eye-sore of the Hump right next to the state of the art Dude. Tailgating most people are welcoming and will invite you in to try whatever they’re cooking.

Nutriaitch
10-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Tailgating most people are welcoming and will invite you in to try whatever they?re cooking.

this is actually the part i?m most interested in seeing.

i?ve been going to LSU home games for over 30 years now and a couple Sugar Bowls.
but i?m genuinely curious how it?s done elsewhere.

Starkville is the easiest road trip (not counting the gay milkmen in College Station) driving wise for me, so y?all get to be my first true road game.

Nutriaitch
10-17-2019, 11:31 AM
well, i booked a room in Louisville and bought my tickets to the game.

so i have just a few more questions
A. how easy is it to navigate my way around/close to campus? Parking and walking, etc.
B. any strict rules regarding alcohol on campus i need to be aware of?
C. what time and gate would the visiting team typically enter the stadium?

StarkVegasSteve
10-17-2019, 11:43 AM
well, i booked a room in Louisville and bought my tickets to the game.

so i have just a few more questions
A. how easy is it to navigate my way around/close to campus? Parking and walking, etc.
B. any strict rules regarding alcohol on campus i need to be aware of?
C. what time and gate would the visiting team typically enter the stadium?

a. Walking will be a lot easier than driving once you get to Starkville.
b. Don't be an ass and as long as you're not walking around with a handle of whiskey, vodka, whatever the hell you're drinking then you'll be fine.
c. Visiting teams enter the stadium on the east side. Just look for a ton of purple and gold about two hours before the game starts and you'll find them.

Nutriaitch
10-17-2019, 12:49 PM
thanks for the answers.

i have no intention of being a belligerent asshole drunk. At most i’ll have myself a cup of whiskey while walking around.

looking like should be nice weather.
quite a bit cooler than we’ve been down here for aure.

MaroonBelle
10-17-2019, 01:12 PM
thanks for the answers.

i have no intention of being a belligerent asshole drunk. At most i?ll have myself a cup of whiskey while walking around.

looking like should be nice weather.
quite a bit cooler than we?ve been down here for aure.

https://hailstate.com/gameday/football-vs-lsu/football/2119/

All the gameday info including a parking map can be found here. If you are going to game first and not stopping for lunch in Starkville, you will be driving north on HWY 25 so I recommend taking Poor House Road from 25 (right turn). Continue on that road until you pass the horse park on your left. Immediately following horse park turn left onto Hail State Blvd. This will bring you directly into south side of campus looking right at DWS. You can park at the vet school on the left ($10) or continue through the light at Blackjack Rd and there are a couple of pay lots there ($30) on the left that you can purchase a space in. It is a very easy walk to the stadium and right into the heart of the tailgating in the Junction from any of these lots.

You can pre purchase parking here: https://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AMSST%3AF19%3AFP04%3 A&linkID=msst&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=&cgc=

stalkingpoon
10-17-2019, 01:12 PM
this is actually the part i?m most interested in seeing.

i?ve been going to LSU home games for over 30 years now and a couple Sugar Bowls.
but i?m genuinely curious how it?s done elsewhere.

Starkville is the easiest road trip (not counting the gay milkmen in College Station) driving wise for me, so y?all get to be my first true road game.

We will have a few LSU fans at our tailgate with us. Feel free to stop by, get a drink and some food before the game.

Dawgbite
10-17-2019, 01:19 PM

All the gameday info including a parking map can be found here. Since you are driving north on 25 I recommend taking Poor House Road from 25 (right turn). Take that road until you pass the horse park on your left. Immediately following horse park turn left onto Hail State Blvd. This will bring you directly into south side of campus looking right at DWS. You can park at the vet school on the left ($10) or continue through the light at Blackjack Rd and there are a couple of pay lots there ($30) on the left that you can purchase a space in. It is a very easy walk to the stadium and right into the heart of the tailgating in the Junction from any of these lots.

You can pre purchase parking here: https://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AMSST%3AF19%3AFP04%3 A&linkID=msst&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=&cgc=

This is the correct information. I don't know your physical abilities but if able , park at the vet school and catch the shuttle to the Junction. After the game walk back because you never know how often the shuttles will run post game due to traffic. It's about 3/4 mile walk but it doesn't seem that far. It's flat and a straight shot with about half the distance on blocked off streets.

Fader21
10-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Starkville has a pretty good McDonalds but myself I like the Wendy's four for four. You get a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, Coke, Fries, and 4 piece chicken nuggets all for the low price of 4 dollars tax excluded.

Jack Lambert
10-17-2019, 01:46 PM
a. Walking will be a lot easier than driving once you get to Starkville.
b. Don't be an ass and as long as you're not walking around with a handle of whiskey, vodka, whatever the hell you're drinking then you'll be fine.
c. Visiting teams enter the stadium on the east side. Just look for a ton of purple and gold about two hours before the game starts and you'll find them.

You can also park down town and ride the shuttle on to campus. The shuttle picks up at the Starkville Daily News. You can also walk it in about 20 minutes and you can walk through the Cotton District where the bars and restaurants are. The parking there is free.

Nutriaitch
10-17-2019, 03:13 PM

All the gameday info including a parking map can be found here. If you are going to game first and not stopping for lunch in Starkville, you will be driving north on HWY 25 so I recommend taking Poor House Road from 25 (right turn). Continue on that road until you pass the horse park on your left. Immediately following horse park turn left onto Hail State Blvd. This will bring you directly into south side of campus looking right at DWS. You can park at the vet school on the left ($10) or continue through the light at Blackjack Rd and there are a couple of pay lots there ($30) on the left that you can purchase a space in. It is a very easy walk to the stadium and right into the heart of the tailgating in the Junction from any of these lots.

This is the correct information. I don't know your physical abilities but if able , park at the vet school and catch the shuttle to the Junction. After the game walk back because you never know how often the shuttles will run post game due to traffic. It's about 3/4 mile walk but it doesn't seem that far. It's flat and a straight shot with about half the distance on blocked off streets.

THANKS!

just bought a parking pass by the vet school building.

is it safe to guess the area called ?the Junction? will be full of tailgaters?

Dawgbite
10-17-2019, 06:11 PM
THANKS!

Yes, The Junction is a sea of 10x10 tents and humanity or at least it should be but we suck, our team sucks, and our coach sucks. Therefore a large portion of our fan base is boycotting to express our displeasure. Bring a cooler, be nice and somebody will adopt you.

MaroonBelle
10-18-2019, 09:43 AM
THANKS!

Yes the junction is the tailgate area and you have to walk through it to get to the stadium.

Wanted to add, Market Cafe in Louisville is very good eats.

Duckdog
10-18-2019, 09:59 AM
I grew up in BR. Right off LSU campus. Graduated from MSU in 02. The BS about being treated bad at LSU football games is total crap unless you are some type of puss. Yes there will be some good tailgating at the Junction yes dooey's is overrated but it still fine. All the other places mentioned are good. The cotton district always has a good atmosphere after a game. No the crap you've heard about starkville being a shithole isn't true. Have a good time bring all the 10oz bud lights you can handle (coonasses love em). For sure check out the Dude!!!! That place is badass!!!!!

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Parrain's

Nutriaitch
10-20-2019, 08:35 PM
This will be a kinda long post, so my apologies in advance.

just want to say i really enjoyed my time in the area.

Mississippi State fans are the nicest most sincere and polite fans i have ever met. I mean almost to a fault nice.
even random people at Walmart in Louisville would strike up conversation and we’re just as friendly as can be.
Several people on and around campus and in the stadium would say hello as we passed by.

It did not go unnoticed by me. Something i will always remember about the trip.

Stadium is very nice. I was in the upper deck of the East side of Stadium. Very well done up there. Lot more space in concourse than there is in lower bowl of Death Valley.

Field looked absolutely amazing. Best looking grass field i have ever seen.

I’m jealous that y’all have TWO video boards bigger than our biggest and they aren’t constantly covered in advertisements.

Props to the fans and especially the students. Y’all really brought the energy. Especially early.
With the negativity i heard on radio. and even from fans i spoke to, i was really impressed by the crowd.
Very well done.

HUGE props for the Salute to the Veteran.
I don’t know if that’s “normal” for y’all, but that was a very Special moment.
And you could tell by his reaction that it wasn’t lost on him either.
I can’t possibly come up with the words to to that justice. It was an absolutely amazing moment.
Pat yourselves on the back for that one Dawgs. I promise that is one that i will brag about to anyone i ever talk to about football atmospheres.

thanks for the pregame advice here.
and thanks for the good day. making a trip to a road game will become an annual thing for us thanks to the success of this one.

msbulldog
10-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Mississippi State fans are the nicest most sincere and polite fans i have ever met. I mean almost to a fault nice.
even random people at Walmart in Louisville would strike up conversation and we’re just as friendly as can be.
Several people on and around campus and in the stadium would say hello as we passed by.

Stadium is very nice. I was in the upper deck of the East side of Stadium. Very well done up there. Lot more space in concourse than there is in lower bowl of Death Valley.

I’m jealous that y’all have TWO video boards bigger than our biggest and they aren’t constantly covered in advertisements.

Props to the fans and especially the students. Y’all really brought the energy. Especially early.
With the negativity i heard on radio. and even from fans i spoke to, i was really impressed by the crowd.
Very well done.

I can’t possibly come up with the words to to that justice. It was an absolutely amazing moment.
Pat yourselves on the back for that one Dawgs. I promise that is one that i will brag about to anyone i ever talk to about football atmospheres.

and thanks for the good day. making a trip to a road game will become an annual thing for us thanks to the success of this one.

Thank-You!

Jack Lambert
10-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Very well done.

They give a salute to a veteran every game. That one was probably the most memorable and energized one. When they do WWII vets the place really gets energize. Being a veteran I ring the hell out of my bell. I know when it is coming, they do it the same time everything and I start ringing before the veteran comes onto the field. Lot of people look at me crazy until they realize what is going on.

starkvegasdawg
10-21-2019, 09:13 AM

Very well done.

Where were you sitting? Had three LSU fans right in front of us in 339 that were extremely nice and friendly. One even bought a cowbell at halftime. As we made our exit when the game was out of hand and I wanted to beat the rush since my mom is not very mobile. They asked if we still had our tickets as they only had the paper print out tickets and were wanting actual tickets for souvenirs. We gave them ours.

Nutriaitch
10-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Where were you sitting? Had three LSU fans right in front of us in 339 that were extremely nice and friendly. One even bought a cowbell at halftime. As we made our exit when the game was out of hand and I wanted to beat the rush since my mom is not very mobile. They asked if we still had our tickets as they only had the paper print out tickets and were wanting actual tickets for souvenirs. We gave them ours.

wife and i were in 336 row 7
very good seats.

Duckdog
10-21-2019, 01:54 PM

even random people at Walmart in Louisville would strike up conversation and we?re just as friendly as can be.

I?m jealous that y?all have TWO video boards bigger than our biggest and they aren?t constantly covered in advertisements.

Props to the fans and especially the students. Y?all really brought the energy. Especially early.
Very well done.

I don?t know if that?s ?normal? for y?all, but that was a very Special moment.
And you could tell by his reaction that it wasn?t lost on him either.
I can?t possibly come up with the words to to that justice. It was an absolutely amazing moment.

Told ya, Baw! Glad you had a good time. The one thing I hated about Starkville while in school was that the gas stations didn't sell liquor or cold beer. A real drag for a fella growing up in La.

Tbonewannabe
10-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Told ya, Baw! Glad you had a good time. The one thing I hated about Starkville while in school was that the gas stations didn't sell liquor or cold beer. A real drag for a fella growing up in La.

They got that fixed right after I left.

Nutriaitch
10-21-2019, 02:27 PM

brought my own.
was pretty sure i wasn’t finding Abita products up that way.