PDA

View Full Version : JoMo Presser Proved His Biggest Problem

BeastMan
10-15-2019, 09:35 AM
What is the #1 thing this program is missing? It?s toughness. When all the former players were calling out the culture, that?s what they meant. We?re soft. JoMo?s presser he decided to go soft, emotional, heartstrings with the story about his daughter. I think it was a honest response. I think it was an introspective and interesting response. I think it?s indicative to who he is as a man and that?s not a bad thing. But no one is critical of JoMo the man; MSU fans are critical of JoMo the coach. It was a microcosm of what?s wrong with the program. When JoMo is true to himself he?s not a type A personality and he?ll never succeed here because of it. While I felt empathy for him at a human level because it was a sad story it also made me feel apathy for the football program. We?ve got a guy who when punched will cry and talk about how it made him feel instead of punching back.

And while we?re here let me say he makes MILLIONS of dollars to win football games and deal with whatever comes with that. If you?re one of our fans calling out ?toxic MSU fans? after the sad story he told, you need to grow up. This isn?t intramurals brother.

Irondawg
10-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Other thing is that he keeps mentioned how they "talk all the time" about things like precision and physicality and stuff. As a coach you just can't talk about it, you have to instill it through practice habits. You have to demand those things as it's a requirement to get on the field.

I get the feeling it's just not emphasized as much during practice as it's talked about in team meetings and such.

I can talk about getting in shape all I want. I can can even go to the gym regularly. I can talk about running a 5k in a certain time. But if all I'm doing there is getting a treadmill and doing a slow walk for 30 minutes I'm not going to see much results when I enter that 5K and fail miserably.

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2019, 10:14 AM
I think he's got the fire. He showed that in the egg bowl last year. I think it's communicating that to the staff and players that's the problem. I don't think he knows, or wants, to do that because he wants to stay their friend. And that's just not possible at this level of football and still be successful. I mean PJ Fleck is a players coach, but I've seen videos of him lighting into players and coaches during practices and games. Hell people think Dabo is the ultimate players coach, but he lit into his kicker and benched him for missing one FG when they were up 30. It's knowing when to turn it on and off that Joe can't seem to grasp.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Great post Beast. Agree 100%

Dawgology
10-15-2019, 10:17 AM
At the end of the day he is a football philosophy guy and not an on-the-field type head coach. I compare it to a Ph.D. at a university that can talk to you about areodynamics and physics all day with great knowledge and profound insight versus the engineer that works at NASA and actually builds and puts aircraft in space.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2019, 10:21 AM
At the end of the day he is a football philosophy guy and not an on-the-field type head coach. I compare it to a Ph.D. at a university that can talk to you about areodynamics and physics all day with great knowledge and profound insight versus the engineer that works at NASA and actually builds and puts aircraft in space.

This

Lord McBuckethead
10-15-2019, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Irondawg;1166508]Other thing is that he keeps mentioned how they "talk all the time" about things like precision and physicality and stuff. As a coach you just can't talk about it, you have to instill it through practice habits. You have to demand those things as it's a requirement to get on the field.

Yep. Moorhead needs to adapt or leave. It is time to get behind him if he adapts. It is also time to move on if he can't.

Dental Dawg33
10-15-2019, 12:47 PM

100% perfect analysis

NCDawg
10-15-2019, 12:52 PM
I think he's got the fire. He showed that in the egg bowl last year. I think it's communicating that to the staff and players that's the problem. I don't think he knows, or wants, to do that because he wants to stay their friend. And that's just not possible at this level of football and still be successful. I mean PJ Fleck is a players coach, but I've seen videos of him lighting into players and coaches during practices and games. Hell people think Dabo is the ultimate players coach, but he lit into his kicker and benched him for missing one FG when they were up 30. It's knowing when to turn it on and off that Joe can't seem to grasp.

I know lots of people on this board think Pruitt is a terrible coach. He's a southern country boy, talks southern and country, and Cohen passed him over for our HC, but I noticed him last week gettting into his players face when they screwed up, or didn't seem to be giving it their all. Then I notice Moorhead over on our sidelines with his clipboard looking straight ahead without emotion-somewhat similar to the Dallas Cowboy's coach. Two different styles of coaching, but I prefer Pruitt's style.

timotheus
10-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Hide and watch next season, Pruitt is turning UT around folks. That demeanor which Pruitt exemplifies is why he wasn't hired at MSU simply due to the fact that Cohen wants spineless coaches to work under him. That is where it started and stopped. I figuring if Cohen sits on his hands and waits til next season and JoMo goes 2-10 that Cohen gets the boot with this JoMo flag football guru.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Hide and watch next season, Pruitt is turning UT around folks. That demeanor which Pruitt exemplifies is why he wasn't hired at MSU simply due to the fact that Cohen wants spineless coaches to work under him. That is where it started and stopped. I figuring if Cohen sits on his hands and waits til next season and JoMo goes 2-10 that Cohen gets the boot with this JoMo flag football guru.

Pruitt still has some ways to go. He could have put the dagger in on Saturday but instead played for a 50 yard FG at halftime. He had plenty of time but was I guess more worried about having a turnover than winning. I will give him a nod that it worked out that he made the FG and ended up being the cushion that he needed but I thought he should have at least tried to score a TD at that point.

Bottom line is that he is recruiting well and getting effort from his team now. I think if we had lost to ULL or USM then we would have just been in a death spiral for the rest of the year. The reason that no one expects anything different from Moorhead is that we got punched in the mouth at Auburn and then had two weeks to correct it. We came out still looking like we were scared for another punch. Shrader at least has that swagger that he will take a punch and throw one right back. Not many guys on the team have that mentality now since Joe "fixed" our culture.

timotheus
10-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Good post Tbone. peek at next seasons schedule and let me know how positive you feel with JoMo in charge.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Good post Tbone. peek at next seasons schedule and let me know how positive you feel with JoMo in charge.

I am not feeling great for this year much less next year.

New Mexico St. - Win unless JoeMo screws it up somehow
at NC State - Loss - JoeMo is dead on the road
Ark - toss up game but I will assume that we win. Morris could very well pull this one off if we are in full blown death spiral mode
Tulane - Loss if Fritz is still at Tulane. I have zero faith in Joe outcoaching anyone.
A&M - Loss- Jimbo has another year of top ten recruiting class and he is a good coach overall
at Bama - Loss of biblical proportions. Saban to name the score at a later date
at LSU - LSU is improving and of course it is on the road where Possum Moorhead plays dead
AU - Loss - Malzahn is a good coach and we won't do anything imaginative again to win
Mizzou - Loss - they have a decent program
at UK - Loss - once again on the road. If Stoops had played their WR Bowden at QB for our game then we would have lost at home.
Alab A&M - Win or you should immediately be fired
at UM - Toss up- If they still have Rich Rod and MacIntyre then we lose. Hopefully both get jobs somewhere else but we probably still lose.

I see 4-8 as probable with a ceiling of 5-7 if we could possibly win Mizzou, UK, or NC State. Joe really fixed our culture and foundation.

missouridawg
10-15-2019, 01:57 PM

You know absolutely nothing about why Pruitt wasnt hired, FYI

timotheus
10-15-2019, 07:04 PM
FYI, yep i do. I have interviewed too many folks and sat in on way too many selection committees to not plainly see what Cohen is up to. It may ultimately work out for him( joe is gone nest year if not this december) but it also could end up terminating his employment at the University along with this JoMo dude. Pruitt is accountable to his players and in return they are accountable to him. Our players seee what he did to aeris williams and nick gibson and KT. Pruitt will say what is on his mind and Joe won't because quite frankly he doesn't know how. It is not in his personality at all to be brash and controlling but Cohen does have that controlling trait for sure. If I told you what my connection is, you would understand but we are inching closer to needing a greg byrne type to evaluate this entire football program.

Dawg_Lover
10-16-2019, 12:58 PM
FYI, yep i do. I have interviewed too many folks and sat in on way too many selection committees to not plainly see what Cohen is up to. It may ultimately work out for him( joe is gone nest year if not this december) but it also could end up terminating his employment at the University along with this JoMo dude. Pruitt is accountable to his players and in return they are accountable to him. Our players seee what he did to aeris williams and nick gibson and KT. Pruitt will say what is on his mind and Joe won't because quite frankly he doesn't know how. It is not in his personality at all to be brash and controlling but Cohen does have that controlling trait for sure. If I told you what my connection is, you would understand but we are inching closer to needing a greg byrne type to evaluate this entire football program.

Interesting & thought provoking analogy. Kind of brings the Cowboys owner & coach to mind.

CadaverDawg
10-16-2019, 01:27 PM
What is the #1 thing this program is missing? It?s toughness. When all the former players were calling out the culture, that?s what they meant. We?re soft. JoMo?s presser he decided to go soft, emotional, heartstrings with the story about his daughter. I think it was a honest response. I think it was an introspective and interesting response. I think it?s indicative to who he is as a man and that?s not a bad thing. But no one is critical of JoMo the man; MSU fans are critical of JoMo the coach. It was a microcosm of what?s wrong with the program. When JoMo is true to himself he?s not a type A personality and he?ll never succeed here because of it. While I felt empathy for him at a human level because it was a sad story it also made me feel apathy for the football program. We?ve got a guy who when punched will cry and talk about how it made him feel instead of punching back.

And while we?re here let me say he makes MILLIONS of dollars to win football games and deal with whatever comes with that. If you?re one of our fans calling out ?toxic MSU fans? after the sad story he told, you need to grow up. This isn?t intramurals brother.

https://media.tenor.com/images/4852db0fa483a0d6bc8d277082d48636/tenor.gif

AlSwearengen
10-16-2019, 01:39 PM

That scene in the egg bowl was not natural at all. I remember thinking how unnatural he looked while he was doing it.
He just isn’t that type. He very well could whip some peoples asses if he needed to but he isn’t a natural alpha.

Mullen liked to throw a fit and be pissed off and it was natural but at the same time, I remembering him realizing that he was about to piss off another coach that he didn’t want to piss off and he started smiling and crawfishing.

Jackie, I think was a quiet alpha. I don’t remember him backing down to anyone and he bowed up a few times.