PDA

View Full Version : Here's the truth for some of our fans feeling sorry for Joe

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 02:17 AM
1. You can show up. But nothing is really going to change other than Shrader starting (Yay! Progress!). When discipline isn't there it's not going to come back in a week. It just isn't. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do but I'm not going personally because I do not agree with the direction of the program at the moment and as a paying customer/alum expect and demand that our team play hard and with discipline. This is only the second time in my fan life that I've done this. The other time was in 2003 for basically the same thing. I'm not asking for a win over Bama. I'm not asking for 15-0. I understand losses happen especially in the SEC with our meat grinder of a schedule. I do expect to beat people like La Tech 95% of the time because that is reasonable to expect that and I'm not going to give them an effort trophy for losing to someone like that. Do that and play hard against the legit bluebloods of the SEC and at least give them a game and I'll be happy for the most part especially if you beat Ole Miss 90% of the time.

2. If you do show up fair warning- after we lose you're going to hear the same line of BS next week. Do with your time and money what you will.

3. I thought Joe bringing up his daughter crying was inappropriate personally. I say this as someone that has had family in sports and had said family member attacked in a restaurant for giving up a home run. People wonder why pro athletes get paid millions of dollars- that's part of the reason why. I screw up at work no one is going to tell me that I sucked or attack me at Chipotle. But as a family member you take the good with the bad. No one likes to hear that their family member sucks. On the other hand it's a very proud moment when they succeed. I'm not saying that it's "right" to yell at a coach that they sucked- but if you spent hundreds of dollars and invested time to support the program and then MSU lays that turd out there on the field- yeah, I can understand why someone would be pissed off enough to yell that at the field. I don't believe anyone intended to go after his daughter because it doesn't make sense. That would be like someone cutting me off in traffic and I flip off their kid in the back seat. If you're mad you're going straight for the source and that isn't their kid. Now, sure kids may see and hear things that may not make them proud and may disappoint them. However, a few years from now when Joe's daughter is able to pretty much get everything that she wants from a financial standpoint because we paid her Dad several million dollars over two years- she may have a different viewpoint of that one bad day.

I think Joe brought it up because I think he wants our fans to lay off of him because he knows that it's going to get ugly.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2019, 05:50 AM
People going to the game this weekend are going to enjoy tailgating, friends and campus. Everyone knows State is getting beat.

As for his daughter, every State fan and their kids experience ridicule at work, their kids get teased at school. It is a part of being a State fan. Joe and his daughter will live life as a 1% because of State. He and She will be ok.

basedog
10-15-2019, 07:55 AM
"I think Joe brought it up because I think he wants our fans to lay off of him because he knows that it's going to get ugly."

I'm not agreeing with you Todd, I think Joe is embarrassed and cares about his family, he was just being a father and he said he knew he sucked that day. Me myself, I do hate it for Joe, I have been behind Coach as well as all Coaches at Msu up to point or years in seeing or giving them a chance. I do know now Joe is a walking lame duck Coach, I wish him the best and I hope Rutgers is in his future. If I'm Cohen I'm calling his agent and trying to help him get the job, work a deal that we pay Rutgers some money for Joe's contract, schedule a home and away games for the future.

As for as going to the game Saturday, I'm IFFY, my wife who could care less about Msu sports but attends games with me, will be taking one of our young grandkids to a baseball tournament with one of our daughters. Me, I may go to StarkVegas but with the mind set not to get upset or talk ugly about Joe. My saying when things go bad, "it is what is".

Lastly, I have been a Msu fan/alumni longer than most on ED, this will pass as I've seen worse if you can imagine. But I realize we will never be elite in football, doesn't mean we can't win and have success. But to think we will be Bama good and sustain that level ain't happening.

Btw, I read some and most of "My Thoughts", so that is mine and better days ahead boys and girls, trust me**

Scared_Hitless
10-15-2019, 08:01 AM
You can think we need a change and still have human empathy. Being a decent human being should not be excluded by fandom in any sport. Talking trash to his children and wife is unacceptable it's a damn game.

I think Joe has lost the fanbase, and that is understandable but being saying because he makes the bigs bucks makes him unworthy of sympathy is a bad stance. I hope he continues to fight for what he believes in and we as fans can show some human restraint in regards to how we treat a man that is working for our enjoyment. If we finish 5-7 or so wish him well and accept it was a bad fit.

StateDawg44
10-15-2019, 08:11 AM
You can think we need a change and still have human empathy. Being a decent human being should not be excluded by fandom in any sport. Talking trash to his children and wife is unacceptable it's a damn game.

I think Joe has lost the fanbase, and that is understandable but being saying because he makes the bigs bucks makes him unworthy of sympathy is a bad stance. I hope he continues to fight for what he believes in and we as fans can show some human restraint in regards to how we treat a man that is working for our enjoyment. If we finish 5-7 or so wish him well and accept it was a bad fit.

I get what you're saying and agree to an extent, but Joe has given me nothing to enjoy since the Egg Bowl last year. I have more questions now than I did in the off-season.

5-7 is a best-case scenario and honestly unacceptable.

TrapGame
10-15-2019, 08:17 AM
It worked b/c the Facebook fans - mostly middle aged women and blue hairs - got all bent out of shape. Joe knew exactly what he was doing when he brought up the ridicule in front of family aspect. It was an emotional plea b/c he doesn't know what else to do. This isn't the Big10 and it sure as hell ain't the Patriot League. That press conference yesterday was a man in over his head flailing his arms trying to stay afloat.

PMDawg
10-15-2019, 08:53 AM
People going to the game this weekend are going to enjoy tailgating, friends and campus. Everyone knows State is getting beat.

As for his daughter, every State fan and their kids experience ridicule at work, their kids get teased at school. It is a part of being a State fan. Joe and his daughter will live life as a 1% because of State. He and She will be ok.

people who say this....

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2019, 08:56 AM
1. You can show up. But nothing is really going to change other than Shrader starting (Yay! Progress!). When discipline isn't there it's not going to come back in a week. It just isn't. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do but I'm not going personally because I do not agree with the direction of the program at the moment and as a paying customer/alum expect and demand that our team play hard and with discipline. This is only the second time in my fan life that I've done this. The other time was in 2003 for basically the same thing. I'm not asking for a win over Bama. I'm not asking for 15-0. I understand losses happen especially in the SEC with our meat grinder of a schedule. I do expect to beat people like La Tech 95% of the time because that is reasonable to expect that and I'm not going to give them an effort trophy for losing to someone like that. Do that and play hard against the legit bluebloods of the SEC and at least give them a game and I'll be happy for the most part especially if you beat Ole Miss 90% of the time.

2. If you do show up fair warning- after we lose you're going to hear the same line of BS next week. Do with your time and money what you will.

3. I thought Joe bringing up his daughter crying was inappropriate personally. I say this as someone that has had family in sports and had said family member attacked in a restaurant for giving up a home run. People wonder why pro athletes get paid millions of dollars- that's part of the reason why. I screw up at work no one is going to tell me that I sucked or attack me at Chipotle. But as a family member you take the good with the bad. No one likes to hear that their family member sucks. On the other hand it's a very proud moment when they succeed. I'm not saying that it's "right" to yell at a coach that they sucked- but if you spent hundreds of dollars and invested time to support the program and then MSU lays that turd out there on the field- yeah, I can understand why someone would be pissed off enough to yell that at the field. I don't believe anyone intended to go after his daughter because it doesn't make sense. That would be like someone cutting me off in traffic and I flip off their kid in the back seat. If you're mad you're going straight for the source and that isn't their kid. Now, sure kids may see and hear things that may not make them proud and may disappoint them. However, a few years from now when Joe's daughter is able to pretty much get everything that she wants from a financial standpoint because we paid her Dad several million dollars over two years- she may have a different viewpoint of that one bad day.

I think Joe brought it up because I think he wants our fans to lay off of him because he knows that it's going to get ugly.

1. This is just the wrong stance to take. You can not support the coach and still show up. However, it's your prerogative whether to show up or not. Just don't get mad when we try to go hire a coach and no one is interested because our fan base doesn't show up every time they don't agree with something the coach does. Support the players if nothing else. They're the ones putting it on the line for us. And it may not get better, IMO it probably won't, but I still believe our AD is smart enough to know if it's not working, I don't think he needs everyone else's opinion to see that. He's not going to stick with Joe just because people are showing up.

2. I'm going to go have fun with friends and family with my time and money. I only get 7 Saturdays in the fall to do it. I'm not going to let a crap season ruin me having fun with people I enjoy spending time with.

3. Bringing the daughter up probably wasn't the best way to go about that. He should've just left it at it's been as hard on me and my family as it's been on the fanbase. Mentioning his daughter crying did seem like he was pandering to Facebook fans.

And hey I don't believe it's going to work out with Joe and I think we're going to pull the plug this year, but I'm going to be there through the good and the bad just like I was for Jackie, Croom, and Mullen. I don't believe it makes me any better of a fan than the next guy, it's just the only way I know.

TUSK
10-15-2019, 09:03 AM
I equated Joes mention of a crying daughter to:

Bill Curry and the brick
Jim McElwain and death threats

Subterfuge.

QuadrupleOption
10-15-2019, 09:17 AM
I don't think expecting basic human decency from people is too much to ask no matter how much you get paid.

If you're unhinged enough to insult someone in front of their family because you're mad about the outcome of a sporting contest, that says WAY more about you than it does them.

And before anyone gets all "po ol' missippi state" fan on me, I want him gone. But I'd NEVER act like an asshole to him unless he was one to me first.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2019, 09:21 AM
people who say this....

look man, I’m not excusing the behavior. I’m not saying he or she deserves it because he makes a ton of money. But at least he gets a fat check for going to the game. While the rest of us are paying through the nose to be at a game.

My point was, all State fans, players, coaches catch hell. I watched, for 3-4 years, our band and fans have things thrown at them and mocked in Little Rock while Arkansas tilted the scoreboard on Croom and Mullen. There was no mercy. None! JoMo and his kid will just have to toughen up.

Fader21
10-15-2019, 09:21 AM
3. I thought Joe bringing up his daughter crying was inappropriate personally. I say this as someone that has had family in sports and had said family member attacked in a restaurant for giving up a home run. People wonder why pro athletes get paid millions of dollars- that's part of the reason why. I screw up at work no one is going to tell me that I sucked or attack me at Chipotle. But as a family member you take the good with the bad. No one likes to hear that their family member sucks.

If only law enforcement officers got paid like pro athletes 🙄🙄🙄🙄

wild_dawg
10-15-2019, 09:40 AM
I don't know if I would have said what Joe said about his daughter, but I can't blame him. I do appreciate him being honest, I'm not a dad but I can imagine that that is incredibly tough to watch and see.

As to showing up, I always will. There are only 7 home game a year and they are a blast. Not showing up changes and does nothing. Us looking like a sorry fanbase on national tv does nothing positive.

Someone on this board (sorry i dont remember who) made a fantastic point. I have trouble putting this on Joe, its not a lack of effort on his part. Its like putting a small kid who is ill prepared to play on the D-Line. You can't blame the kid, you blame the coach. While its not that extreme, Joe is a good man and is doing the job to the best of his ability. This is on Cohen at this point, lets hope he makes the right decision for the program moving forward.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Well, because of some rumors I?d been hearing, I asked some questions about the coaching situation and was told Jo likely isn?t getting fired unless he goes winless the rest of the way or recruits start bailing. They don?t want to lose the recruits because this is an important part of rebuilding our roster that?s short in depth and talent in a number of places. Rebuilding on defense, suspensions/probation, and a freshman QB are also things mentioned. So, unless Jo takes off or those things happen (and they could), he?ll be our coach next year. So, I?d suggest everyone sit back and wait to see what happens.

DeputyDawg94
10-15-2019, 09:45 AM
If someone said something negative directly to his family then that person or people are low life pieces of crap. Leave the family out if it. On the other hand I saw the daughter comment as weakness. I have a public profession that gets shit on by professional athletes all the way down to little old ladies who are driving on by wrong side of the road because they can’t see anymore. My children hear the negatives about me and I tell them not to worry about other people’s opinions because in the long run the only people who matter are the ones who love you. Joe gets no sympathy from me. He caused this mess and he can clean it up or get the 17 out. Perfect scenario would be finish 6-6 go to a bowl and him leave. I don’t see 6-6 tho.

bobtail bob
10-15-2019, 10:01 AM
He?s lying. I don?t believe it happened. He?s going to this because he?s all out of excuses and wants to keep getting that check

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 10:23 AM
If someone said something negative directly to his family then that person or people are low life pieces of crap. Leave the family out if it. On the other hand I saw the daughter comment as weakness. I have a public profession that gets shit on by professional athletes all the way down to little old ladies who are driving on by wrong side of the road because they can’t see anymore. My children hear the negatives about me and I tell them not to worry about other people’s opinions because in the long run the only people who matter are the ones who love you. Joe gets no sympathy from me. He caused this mess and he can clean it up or get the 17 out. Perfect scenario would be finish 6-6 go to a bowl and him leave. I don’t see 6-6 tho.

It was honestly her overhearing someone bitching about Joe's coaching ability. I don't think they were telling her that her dad sucks. It would bother you to hear but it isn't like someone probably knew she was Joe's daughter. Most people couldn't pick his family out of a line up. I said something Stevens looking like shit and my wife mentioned that you don't know if their family is around. It wouldn't change my opinion but it wouldn't have hurt someone else's feelings.

Coursesuper
10-15-2019, 10:32 AM
I actually have empathy for football coaches due to like my profession you can get hosed by a lot of stuff that is out of your control, not saying that is the case here. But in my field once you lose the membership its over and no matter what you do they will never come back, that is where Joe is with this alumni and fan base. Go if you want, stay home if you want, it doesn't really matter in the long run. All that can happen now is to see if the leadership will do the right thing or let the thing go to the bottom before trying to make a save.

Tbonewannabe
10-15-2019, 10:36 AM
One thing not going to the game does is lets the administration know that the fans don't agree with the product on the field. If you go and support the team then that is your prerogative but it definitely sends a mixed message if you want a new coach in 2020. I do agree that it could affect what coach we could get but packing the stands might also be the tipping point of giving Joe another year. This is just one opinion. I can't say too much since I live 5 hours away and I didn't have tickets anyway.

Coursesuper
10-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Well, because of some rumors I?d been hearing, I asked some questions about the coaching situation and was told Jo likely isn?t getting fired unless he goes winless the rest of the way or recruits start bailing. They don?t want to lose the recruits because this is an important part of rebuilding our roster that?s short in depth and talent in a number of places. Rebuilding on defense, suspensions/probation, and a freshman QB are also things mentioned. So, unless Jo takes off or those things happen (and they could), he?ll be our coach next year. So, I?d suggest everyone sit back and wait to see what happens.

That is exactly what I thought would happen, so typical, the more things change the more they stay the same.

DeputyDawg94
10-15-2019, 01:29 PM
It was honestly her overhearing someone bitching about Joe's coaching ability. I don't think they were telling her that her dad sucks. It would bother you to hear but it isn't like someone probably knew she was Joe's daughter. Most people couldn't pick his family out of a line up. I said something Stevens looking like shit and my wife mentioned that you don't know if their family is around. It wouldn't change my opinion but it wouldn't have hurt someone else's feelings.
I think you are correct but I know there are some really stupid people who don’t mind being complete jack wagons. People need to leave his personal life out of this and focus on his lack of coaching ability.

DeputyDawg94
10-15-2019, 01:40 PM
I think you are correct but I know there are some really stupid people who don’t mind being complete jack wagons. People need to leave his personal life out of this and focus on his lack of coaching ability.