PDA

View Full Version : What kind of offense do you want?

Alphadog
10-14-2019, 09:55 PM
What are you looking for from the next coach? We are all missing Dan?s offense right now, but do we want to go back to that style? Did anyone ever feel that we could beat Saban with the lack of passing that we had for most years? What do we have to do to have something similar to the Chad Kelly offense without buying hookers for recruits? I agree that the change in philosophy under Joe seems to have made us soft but I don?t think we can win big going back to that.

I guess my question is who is the coach out there that can give us the Hugh Freeze offense not named Hugh Freeze and with better teeth

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Power running spread. We will never be successful trying to run any sort of air raid system. Our primary recruiting area doesn’t produce enough of the type athletes necessary for that style of play to be successful long term. And the ones who do fit that type of system aren’t coming to MSU. They’re going places like Clemson, Bama, and LSU.

Honestly, I really love Malzahn’s system. It’s almost perfect for our talent, IMO. It’s simple, effective and high tempo. That’ll work at State. No “check with me” bullshit that takes 37 seconds to get off a play.

Really Clark?
10-14-2019, 10:07 PM
What are you looking for from the next coach? We are all missing Dan?s offense right now, but do we want to go back to that style? Did anyone ever feel that we could beat Saban with the lack of passing that we had for most years? What do we have to do to have something similar to the Chad Kelly offense without buying hookers for recruits? I agree that the change in philosophy under Joe seems to have made us soft but I don?t think we can win big going back to that.

I guess my question is who is the coach out there that can give us the Hugh Freeze offense not named Hugh Freeze and with better teeth

Well heck you are kind of imploding yourself off the bat. Freeze didn’t have the offense to beat Bama (plus a ton of fluky luck as well) WITHOUT impermissible benefits. What has beat Bama mostly is a great dual threat QB who could improvise and hit enough deep balls. Clemson has gotten close to being even with them in talent the last few years to push them and beat them. But a dynamic QB is the best recipe to beat Bama usually. But I don’t want to just bring a guy in to strictly try to beat Bama. I want a coach to build us into that next tier of consistently winning 9-10 a year for a solid 3-5 years to position us to take the next step.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Power spread option

maroonmania
10-14-2019, 10:10 PM

I think that a run based offense works better for us if you are going to build your team primarily with MS HS recruits because that is what most MS HS teams work out of. The biggest thing is that you be reasonably effective passing when you need to. That is what made our 2014 team so good. We were still primarily a run team but we had Dak passing to Bear and Fred Ross when we needed it which kept defenses honest.

RougeDawg
10-14-2019, 10:13 PM
One that does not take a 150 IQ to comprehend. One that is always tailored and tweaked to the players you have on the roster. Not your dream team roster. Basically an offense with a coach that has a logical mindset to be able to see what works and what does not work.

Alphadog
10-14-2019, 10:16 PM
I agree with this to a certain point but the I look what ole miss did with a wide receiver from Starkville and one from Oxford and MS Juco quarterbacks. Sure they bought a lot of players from around the country but these guys were here Mississippi and wanted to play in an offense where they knew the ball would be sling around often

Alphadog
10-14-2019, 10:23 PM
And I don?t think it can be emphasized enough what a quick hit offense can accomplish. Just see auburn and ole miss. They get rolling and it guts the defense. We make fun of the ole miss receivers not knowing a route tree but who needs it when the defensive back doesn?t know what coverage they are in because the game is too fast for them.

We actually tried to go fast a few times at Tennessee and twice the quarterback didn?t wait for the receivers to get set before calling for the snap. Every quarterback in peewee knows to make sure everyone is set. I think just too much thinking going on to take care of the basics

Quaoarsking
10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
As long as we win, I'm fine with whatever, but I think an uptempo run-oriented spread is our best bet, with passing mixed in at whatever level the QB can handle it.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2019, 10:28 PM
The Baltimore Ravens. Everything about it. It's perfect for us.

Homedawg
10-14-2019, 10:29 PM
I keep reading up tempo. Yes you have to have the ability to be up tempo and snap it fast - but it's not a necessary thing all the time. But damn sure have to show it to the opposition so they can't check out of what they are in every play either. But our best chance to beat a bama or LSU is to control the clock. They are going to be more explosive than us year in year out.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 10:31 PM
I keep reading up tempo. Yes you have to have the ability to be up tempo and snap it fast - but it's not a necessary thing all the time. But damn sure have to show it to the opposition so they can't check out of what they are in every play either. But our best chance to beat a bama or LSU is to control the clock. They are going to be more explosive than us year in year out.

The game plan we used against them in 2017 was perfect. Hard to believe that two years ago, we went toe to toe with Alabama, but now, we're here

RougeDawg
10-14-2019, 10:55 PM
The game plan we used against them in 2017 was perfect. Hard to believe that two years ago, we went toe to toe with Alabama, but now, we're here

That is the result of bringing in a PlayStation Head Coach who goes up against the best defenses in college football. Fantasy world video games do not work in real life SEC football.

Rex54
10-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Joe Brady’s

Randolph Dupree
10-14-2019, 11:28 PM
The kind of offense that scores against all defenses. Maybe Wesley McGriff has a cousin that coaches offense***

confucius say
10-14-2019, 11:58 PM
Power spread option

Yep. With a Dak or Schrader at qb.

Choctaw Dawg
10-15-2019, 12:16 AM
If you guys like power spread option type offenses, take a look at Willie fritz. Guy in games against Houston and Army ran 70 total plays with 50 of them being runs each game. Running the ball 50 times a game! Take a look at stats from his games this season and highlights from the army game especially

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 12:49 AM
Balanced pass/run.

The real reality of Mississippi is you really don't know what the state is going to produce from year to year. There are at least three good QB recruits between now and 2021- Rogers, Keys, and Altmeyer and there are a ton of good receiver prospects out there for 2021 especially.

Now consider a couple years ago Mississippi had Hill and Akers and then the year before that you had Aeris. Not too much since then other than Ealy of course.

Being balanced to me keeps us from missing out on recruits. What would 2018 have been like with Minchew at QB?

The issue with our scheme isn't that it's too complex. It's that the coach doesn't demand discipline and we're sloppy. See the first INT against Tennessee. The QB made the right read. The receivers knew where to go on their routes. But that ball was intercepted because of Zuber just jogging down the field and it didn't clear out the DB.

Dawg61
10-15-2019, 01:16 AM
And I don?t think it can be emphasized enough what a quick hit offense can accomplish. Just see auburn and ole miss. They get rolling and it guts the defense. We make fun of the ole miss receivers not knowing a route tree but who needs it when the defensive back doesn?t know what coverage they are in because the game is too fast for them.

We actually tried to go fast a few times at Tennessee and twice the quarterback didn?t wait for the receivers to get set before calling for the snap. Every quarterback in peewee knows to make sure everyone is set. I think just too much thinking going on to take care of the basics

I'd like a combination of the quick hit offense with a coach that can develop quarterbacks. The one thing I miss the most about Dan is his ability to develop Qbs. He really is elite at it. You can already see he's made great strides with Franks and Trask in just 1.5 years. If you combined that type of ability with the advantages a quick hit offense gives you having the defenses not set etc... you have a very dangerous combination. A quarterback that knows what's going on against a defense with holes everywhere because they can't line up fast enough and don't know what coverage they are in. Easy easy points and lots of them.

BhamDawg205
10-15-2019, 01:31 AM
Yep. With a Dak or Schrader at qb.

Heck I KT has shown he can run the power spread.

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 01:32 AM
I second the quick hit offense aspect.

The more plays you can run in theory the more potential points you can score. It also makes hurry up offense more natural.

I like the idea of "OK, you scored but we can match that in 50 seconds of football time potentially."

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 01:33 AM
Heck I KT has shown he can run the power spread.

Off topic:

That's why I want a CEO coach who isn't married to an offense. We have a guy that is a better running QB? Get an OC that fits that. Have a guy that's a better passing QB? Get an OC that fits that when the opportunity arises.

BhamDawg205
10-15-2019, 01:36 AM
Off topic:

That's why I want a CEO coach who isn't married to an offense. We have a guy that is a better running QB? Get an OC that fits that. Have a guy that's a better passing QB? Get an OC that fits that when the opportunity arises.

This... If you're not flexible, you break. Find an OC with a balanced spread approach.

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 01:49 AM
This... If you're not flexible, you break. Find an OC with a balanced spread approach.

I think it actually fits better with the recruiting environment of Mississippi.

Because like I said- Mississippi if you look across the board position group wise at what the state puts in the NFL and the NFL HOF we have pretty much every position covered. But because it's a small state it's never the same position group that is strong every single year. I'd like for us to be prepared for whatever is available because there's really no way to know.

I really hate that we missed on a guy like Minchew who could have made last year special because he didn't fit "what MSU football does". And I'm sure while he was obviously paid off Ole Miss's pass first offense had to have been pretty attractive to AJ Brown too and probably didn't hurt them in his recruitment. It's one thing to miss a guy like a Brett Favre but it's another to miss guys like the first two I mentioned who weren't unknowns.

msudawg1200
10-15-2019, 05:49 AM
One that?s not ?innovative? or ran by a ?genius? is fine by me.

timotheus
10-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Better go get Tulane's HC before he throttles JoMo in starkville early next season. Joe has no clue that the players we have need 24/7 focus and need a HC as an authority figure. If the guys feared him and were worried as to whether they mite be letting the guy down it would be one thing.

TrapGame
10-15-2019, 08:23 AM
I'm in the power run spread boat. Also take a page out of the Saints playbook for screen plays.

confucius say
10-15-2019, 08:39 AM
I will add, I do not think scheme is joes biggest problem. Yes I want more creativity, but the bigger problem to me is running a program and accountability within the program. You can have a great scheme and not know how to run a program and you will fail.

KB21
10-15-2019, 08:44 AM

I'm not hiring an offense or a system. I'm hiring a head coach.

msstatelp1
10-15-2019, 08:51 AM
One that works. One that can make adjustments on the field.

QuadrupleOption
10-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Honestly, I think the scheme we run now is fine. The problem we have with this team is that they are soft as baby shit. THAT'S the issue with Joe's management of the MSU program.

sleepy dawg
10-15-2019, 09:54 AM
We have to be adaptable to the players we have, the defense we're playing, and changes in the game. The problem with Moorhead is he can't adapt. An offensive genius is one who can take what they're given, see what the defense is giving them and attack accordingly. You can't be so deadset on one thing working that you can't change your philosophy from year to year and even week to week.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Power running spread. We will never be successful trying to run any sort of air raid system. Our primary recruiting area doesn?t produce enough of the type athletes necessary for that style of play to be successful long term. And the ones who do fit that type of system aren?t coming to MSU. They?re going places like Clemson, Bama, and LSU.

Honestly, I really love Malzahn?s system. It?s almost perfect for our talent, IMO. It?s simple, effective and high tempo. That?ll work at State. No ?check with me? bullshit that takes 37 seconds to get off a play.

This

BB30
10-15-2019, 10:38 AM
If you guys like power spread option type offenses, take a look at Willie fritz. Guy in games against Houston and Army ran 70 total plays with 50 of them being runs each game. Running the ball 50 times a game! Take a look at stats from his games this season and highlights from the army game especially

Ha ha just two years ago everyone on here was screaming that we have to have a coach that throws the football and has a more vertical passing game without ever actually asking "do we have the personnel to execute it". We had the right system with what Mullen was doing and we were extremely competitive when we had the correct personnel to run it. When we didn't we weren't very good under him.

Leroy Jenkins
10-15-2019, 10:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXmvEHWIJI

Maverick
10-15-2019, 10:54 AM
One that puts points on the board....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Honestly, I think the scheme we run now is fine. The problem we have with this team is that they are soft as baby shit. THAT'S the issue with Joe's management of the MSU program.

The scheme has shown that it doesn't work against defenses with a pulse. Last years team was pretty tough, but that didn't matter against decent defenses.

bluelightstar
10-15-2019, 11:03 AM
The scheme has shown that it doesn't work against defenses with a pulse. Last years team was pretty tough, but that didn't matter against decent defenses.

And now it doesn't work against teams without a pulse either.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Balanced. It doesn’t matter what you do, balance is the key.

Pipedream
10-15-2019, 11:30 AM
It's all about versatility and adaptability. If you look at State's personnel history, which I wouldn't worry too much about, but we're going to have a big OL, some versatile TE's, and a good tailback. But more important than that, you have to have a coach who will tailor his scheme to a.) fit the personnel he has on his roster and b.) attack the personnel weaknesses of the opponent. Most college defenses are running nickel against the spread now, so you have to be able to attack the hang defender in both phases of the offense. I think you have to look at what the Patriots do and try to adapt some of that (much easier said than done since they have the best QB and best coach to ever do it). If you are weak in the secondary they spread you out pitch it all day and play up tempo. If you are weak in the front 7 they go extra OL + FB and hammer you with the run. They make teams change their personnel in order to attack their weakest link. That's easier to do in the NFL, because there is very little talent disparity between teams, but being able to be versatile and adaptable are the main components. Not always in shotgun, not always in spread, not always fast, not always slow. Right now we are always in 3WR/1TE/1RB formations and we are always slow. You keep throwing the same pitch to these elite Defenses, they're going to knock it out of the park more times than not.

trojandawg
10-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Well heck you are kind of imploding yourself off the bat. Freeze didn?t have the offense to beat Bama (plus a ton of fluky luck as well) WITHOUT impermissible benefits. What has beat Bama mostly is a great dual threat QB who could improvise and hit enough deep balls. Clemson has gotten close to being even with them in talent the last few years to push them and beat them. But a dynamic QB is the best recipe to beat Bama usually. But I don?t want to just bring a guy in to strictly try to beat Bama. I want a coach to build us into that next tier of consistently winning 9-10 a year for a solid 3-5 years to position us to take the next step.

that's right consistency in the top half to top quarter of the conference needs to be achieved with the occasional every 3-4 years at 10+ win season. i expect 8-4 to the be average with 6-6 to be the worst years.

trojandawg
10-15-2019, 02:27 PM

power spread option has been proven to work very well with lots of misdirection and spreading the field horizontally to open up running lanes for the running backs, h backs, qb, and others with passing thrown in based off of the run.

trojandawg
10-15-2019, 02:31 PM
I'd like a combination of the quick hit offense with a coach that can develop quarterbacks. The one thing I miss the most about Dan is his ability to develop Qbs. He really is elite at it. You can already see he's made great strides with Franks and Trask in just 1.5 years. If you combined that type of ability with the advantages a quick hit offense gives you having the defenses not set etc... you have a very dangerous combination. A quarterback that knows what's going on against a defense with holes everywhere because they can't line up fast enough and don't know what coverage they are in. Easy easy points and lots of them.

that hurts not having Dan for his QB development. That is something i have harped on about Moorhead. Shrader came in very talent. He hasn't done anything for KT, Fitz regressed. Stevens through the ball ok, but I didn't see anything super special from him. I want to see us taking our young guys and developing them and by the time they are Juniors they are going to be the likes of Fitz and Dak in the conference leading the pack in total offense.

trojandawg
10-15-2019, 02:43 PM
I think it actually fits better with the recruiting environment of Mississippi.

Because like I said- Mississippi if you look across the board position group wise at what the state puts in the NFL and the NFL HOF we have pretty much every position covered. But because it's a small state it's never the same position group that is strong every single year. I'd like for us to be prepared for whatever is available because there's really no way to know.

I really hate that we missed on a guy like Minchew who could have made last year special because he didn't fit "what MSU football does". And I'm sure while he was obviously paid off Ole Miss's pass first offense had to have been pretty attractive to AJ Brown too and probably didn't hurt them in his recruitment. It's one thing to miss a guy like a Brett Favre but it's another to miss guys like the first two I mentioned who weren't unknowns.

Minshew ended up where he need to be successful. I don't think him being in Mississippi at Mississippi State would have really changed much of anything last year.

Mississippi, Louisiana, UGA, Tennessee, Bama, all have athletes playing QB every year. That's the way it works in a lot of these high schools below 5-6 A. The best player on the team plays qb. finding a dual threat qb in our footprint is much easier. It also is easier placing these athletes like Dan did at the slot and giving the ball to to them in space on sweeps etc. use them in short yardage passing and let them get the yards. not a 50/50 ball that is low probability without all star receivers. the Lewis's the Bumphis's are all around Mississippi. I think Thomas if used correctly and Mixon could have been those guys for Moorhead, but he didn't use Mixon that much and Thomas got some action saturday. Moorhead has been too focused on the deep ball. you can be very successful nickel and diming your way down the field. i'm sure AJ Brown loved the pass first offense, but I think a lot of that is he wasn't coddled in recruiting and no-telling how much cash ole miss gave him. Mullen wasn't a great recruiter, but he was damn good developer. he an eye for finding people and making them into something. Whoever get next needs to have an eye for both development and recruiting. Most importantly they need to have their eye mostly focused on running the program, making them tough, and winning. Strength and Conditioning have to be in the forefront. There was a reason for all the Balis Made stuff when Mullen came on. it was an important part. I really haven't seen much about the S&C talked about or bragged about under Moorhead's tenure.