PDA

View Full Version : I got a question, would bama keep mullen?

Dannyripms
10-27-2013, 01:50 AM
I want all of you to honestly ask that question and answer it with a open mind. I know a lot of guys are saying that we should give him time and we time to build a program like bama. I remember a few coaches that was ok at bama but got fired very quickly because they didn't perform to their standards. They don't just sit and wait. They take quick and swift actions to get problems fixed. And that's what we need to do, not only with coaches but also the athletic department, not saying Scott but people like bracky. Another thing is people say we don't have the money. I can't remember the website but we are ahead of tsun in revenue and we have a surplus of 5mm after everything is paid. Only bama has that much surplus. So yes we can pay assistants better but I agree with engie. Most of the pay needs to be incentive based. Guys we need to let Mullen go, I honestly hate it as much as anyone of you because I like him and in the first two years I'd defend him in a second and would fight tooth and nail for him. I know even though some of us disagree how to go about things but all share one thing in common as we all want OUR university to do great. This is a new day and age, we don't have a history, today's world the past 5 years is really what any kid looks at as far as playing football. They see a exciting team and they want to play for them. We can win and we can immediately. Let's get HUD in here and keeps this train rolling to new heights.

BeastMan
10-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Yes row tied row

Dawgface
10-27-2013, 07:50 AM
AL kept Mike Shula for 4 years and his record was 26-23. Mike Dubose was there 4 years and his record was 24-23. So they got a decent shot at getting the job done. But we are not Bama. I think most all of know it takes time to build something at a school like State.

If Mullen scratches out a 6-6, he is good to go. No way he gets fired. Loses out, all bets are off.

TUSK
10-27-2013, 07:51 AM
nope.... hell, 9 win seasons get you an alleged brick through your office window when ya can't beat Auburn....

Bully13
10-27-2013, 08:26 AM
MSU doesn't have the recruiting machine Bama has....much easier for a coach to win at bama than MSU....dubose and shula were not SEC quality coaches.... were not as good as Mullen IMO... put in a great coach like saban to go along with the bama war chest for recruiting, and there ya go...

hacker
10-27-2013, 08:44 AM
hay guys wood the patriots keep jeff colins

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2013, 09:00 AM
You have to put things in perspective to answer this question. You fire coaches when they aren't accomplishing or improving towards what the school they coach is capable of.

Due to the definition, what a coach is asked to do is different for Alabama than it is for Mississippi State. Alabama fans know that their program is capable of winning 10-12 and competing for National Titles on a semi-yearly basis. Therefore, if a coach is accomplishing that (Saban) than they keep him, but if a coach at Bama is winning 6-8 per year and not competing for titles, then they get rid of him. They get rid of him because he is accomplishing less than the equilibrium of the program.

Mullen is coaching at a program that has historically won 5-7 games per year, and over the last 20 years has competed for bowl games. Therefore, if MSU is acting is accordance with Bama, we should keep coaches are winning 6-8 games per year and competing for bowl games. If Bama was in our position and as long as Mullen is winning 6-8 and competing for bowl games, Bama would keep him because he was maintaining and improving the level that fans know the program is capable of.

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 09:22 AM
I think other school's opinion of Mullen is best summed up by the fact that every other school would riot if their administration hired him. Yes, all other 13.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2013, 09:28 AM
You have to put things in perspective to answer this question. You fire coaches when they aren't accomplishing or improving towards what the school they coach is capable of.

Due to the definition, what a coach is asked to do is different for Alabama than it is for Mississippi State. Alabama fans know that their program is capable of winning 10-12 and competing for National Titles on a semi-yearly basis. Therefore, if a coach is accomplishing that (Saban) than they keep him, but if a coach at Bama is winning 6-8 per year and not competing for titles, then they get rid of him. They get rid of him because he is accomplishing less than the equilibrium of the program.

Mullen is coaching at a program that has historically won 5-7 games per year, and over the last 20 years has competed for bowl games. Therefore, if MSU is acting is accordance with Bama, we should keep coaches are winning 6-8 games per year and competing for bowl games. If Bama was in our position and as long as Mullen is winning 6-8 and competing for bowl games, Bama would keep him because he was maintaining and improving the level that fans know the program is capable of.

This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense. I've always said "give me 8-4 every year and I'm happy". Mullen has certainly elevated us to the next level from the Croom years and JWS' last 3 seasons. I can understand some 6-6 seasons but at the same time I would like some 9-3 seasons. maybe even 10-2. 4-8 is unaceptable. 5-7 is unaceptable when you see how the team looks right now. Going through the motions. No heart. Zero halftime adjustments. Coaching your team out of a win at Auburn. Sending the nations worst FG kicker out there to kick FG's. Hanging on for dear life to beat Bowling Green and Kentucky,etc...

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:34 AM
We arent Bama in any way, shape, or form and cannot operate the way they do. Next question.

Little Dooeys doesnt oprerate the same way as Microsoft

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense. I've always said "give me 8-4 every year and I'm happy". Mullen has certainly elevated us to the next level from the Croom years and JWS' last 3 seasons. I can understand some 6-6 seasons but at the same time I would like some 9-3 seasons. maybe even 10-2. 4-8 is unaceptable. 5-7 is unaceptable when you see how the team looks right now. Going through the motions. No heart. Zero halftime adjustments. Coaching your team out of a win at Auburn. Sending the nations worst FG kicker out there to kick FG's. Hanging on for dear life to beat Bowling Green and Kentucky,etc...

I agree with this, and this why the situation with Mullen is hairy. He has been accomplishing what we need him to accomplish, but with naked subjective eye, we can see that things aren't going so well.

Thats why we are just going to have to see how things shake out for the rest of the season. At this point, we don't have enough information to fire him because he is accomplishing what MSU fans should consider acceptable per our history. That doesn't mean we don't want to get better or accept mediocrity, but there has to be a level of logic that is used in the these situations. Right now, I give Mullen the benefit of the doubt, but we have 5 games left and that could change. By the so token, if those 5 games go well, I will love Mullen.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 10:27 AM
The only thing that really bothers me is the 6 win barometer when you're "building in 4 ooc and you play Kentucky every year. So really you gotta find a way to win 1. And with Arkansas down it just took care of itself.

Plus didn't teams used to play 11 games? Maybe" success " for us to keep a coach should be defined as 7 as part of the " building process" not 6.

And id only agree to that for A few years, then we gotta move it to 8. You can't just say lets win 7 forever and you're good. That's a fail. 6 should be the min to start. In year 5 we shouldn't still be talking about eeking out 6.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2013, 10:32 AM
The only thing that really bothers me is the 6 win barometer when you're "building in 4 ooc and you play Kentucky every year. So really you gotta find a way to win 1. And with Arkansas down it just took care of itself.

Plus didn't teams used to play 11 games? Maybe" success " for us to keep a coach should be defined as 7 as part of the " building process" not 6.

And id only agree to that for A few years, then we gotta move it to 8. You can't just say lets win 7 forever and you're good. That's a fail. 6 should be the min to start. In year 5 we shouldn't still be talking about eeking out 6.

I don't think 6 wins is a barometer in any year except this year because we played OK State. Therefore, 4 occ were not built in. In most years, the baseline should be 7.

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Is there a bigger indictment of Mullen than the fact that people keep bringing up having to play OK State? If we're that upset about playing an equal team at a neutral site, we've got some big big issues.

FlabLoser
10-27-2013, 11:16 AM
We arent Bama in any way, shape, or form and cannot operate the way they do. Next question.

Little Dooeys doesnt oprerate the same way as Microsoft

Exactly.

What's stopping us from being as good as Bama goes higher than the head coach. Our AD and maybe our President aren't all in. They don't need to be SMU in. The need to allow us to play the game that the rest of the SEC is playing.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 11:37 AM
What would everyone's opinion be if we are sitting 6-1 right now? Without a idiot move my our AD (OK ST) and a first year major conference dc making a mistake at Auburn that he has learned from (hence bg and Kentucky) we would be 6-1. Look with the money we have to pay a dc you are going to have those mistakes from new guys.
Now you can jump dan good about the whole bell situation and it is deserved no doubt; and yes it almost seems like he let's off the gas in the second half but it could also be him playing not to make a big time mistake against a must win game to keep our bowl chances available. You can dice it 1000 different ways.

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Someone tell me why Oklahoma State is being termed this awesome team that we had no business playing. I understand wanting to play an easy game, but Oklahoma State (if you buy recruiting rankings) is our equal. Stop blaming the AD and blame Mullen for having a shit gameplan.

AVG (2009-2013
SCOUT RIVALS 247 AVG
OSU 26 33 32 30
MSU 28 33 25 29

That's right. Averaging all the recruiting sites from 2009 (redshirt seniors) to 2013 (true freshmen), Mississippi State actually out-recruited Oklahoma State (but what is probably more of a dead heat). In addition, even in Rivals, always our worst talent evaluators, we're in a dead heat. (I know that including the 2009 class helps State more than it helps OSU.)

OSU was not some super-talented juggernaut. We got dismantled by a team that is pretty much our equal. Recruiting rankings suggest that the problem is the guy on the headsets - not the players on the field.

preachermatt83
10-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I agree with this, and this why the situation with Mullen is hairy. He has been accomplishing what we need him to accomplish, but with naked subjective eye, we can see that things aren't going so well.

Thats why we are just going to have to see how things shake out for the rest of the season. At this point, we don't have enough information to fire him because he is accomplishing what MSU fans should consider acceptable per our history. That doesn't mean we don't want to get better or accept mediocrity, but there has to be a level of logic that is used in the these situations. Right now, I give Mullen the benefit of the doubt, but we have 5 games left and that could change. By the so token, if those 5 games go well, I will love Mullen.

if mullen goes 5-7 with a lose to OM would you say let him go?

preachermatt83
10-27-2013, 01:36 PM

^^^POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

preachermatt83
10-27-2013, 01:39 PM
I think other school's opinion of Mullen is best summed up by the fact that every other school would riot if their administration hired him. Yes, all other 13.

BOOM!

Dannyripms
10-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes a part of thing that went I to this thread was not only dan but our entire athletic staff. Like bracky. And some of the other non sense that goes on in our sports. I think bama would of already let bracky go. Seems like we are too nice and if your a friend of someone your job is safe no matter what's the best for our sports, politics I guess. We need to change our mind set from the top and if your not doing what's best for our program you need to go no matter who you are friends with. Just like LT I could not understand why in the world is was our ad for so long. He has to be the all time worse in all of ncaa. And I agree the min should be 7. With 4 ooc and Kentucky we should at least beat someone we shouldn't (tsun, auburn, Arkansas)

woozman
10-27-2013, 02:45 PM