PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on all of this going forward

Coach34
10-14-2019, 06:25 PM
There's a thread about when Sloppy J lost you, threads about possible new coaches, this and that- so I'm going to hit it all in one thread.

Sloppy J lost me vs Kentucky last year. We played on the road in the rain and we threw more passes than we ran the ball- with Nick Fitzgerald at QB and that below average group of WR's we had last year. That was dumb and I'm being kind by saying that. Plus, we never had any easy throws just to get a player the ball and let him make a play- it's always about multiple reads. You cant do that shit vs Southern defenses with all the athletes teams can put on the field. Then you throw in where he changed the gameplan vs Auburn and ran what Hud and others told him he should run- and we won- and then said "phuck that, ima do what I want win or lose" that told me without a doubt he wasnt going to be successful. No coach is ever successful trying to make his team do things they simply cant do just because that is what he wants to do. My team this year is throwing it 20 times a night and I dont really like it but I play to the strengths of my team- which is my job. It's not about me- it's what I have to make the meal with. Joe's biggest problem is he wants to slang it when he could have rolled with KT and Shrader to produce a top 40 offense. You beat Bama with a mobile QB that can make throws. We nearly beat Bama on the road in 2014 with Dak. OM beat Bama with a mobile QB and great WR talent. Auburn beat Bama with Nick Marshall. Johnny Manziel ran all over Bama's ass. Watson at Clemson- mobile and made throws. Thats the way to do it. But you have to have WR talent.

Who can we hire?

We can hire alot of damn people out there if we are willing to spend $5MM per to get someone we know can get the job done. Hell, I make Urban Meyer say no to $6MM/per before I talk to anybody else- and he probably will say no but at least I asked. If I'm Cohen- I look for an offensive guy with a strong personality. Joe fit the offensive part but he isnt the strong leader part. Get a strong offensive guy- like OK St did with Gundy, like OU has done, Scott Satterfield maybe altho that might be a tough pull...something in that mold. Lane Kiffen would also get a phone call. He is a good college coach and would love to get a shot at Saban. He may not want to ever leave the beach tho. Hell, Hud with Will Hall as his OC would be better than what we currently have because those 2 would realize what they had to do vs the SEC when they take the job. (and no I'm not cheering for Hud- but he would be better than what we have currently). Make sure the offensive coach we hire is able to hire a strong DC. Keep Shoop- who I believe is a solid coach, or try to grab Mason after Vandy fires him....have a good DC and pay him so that the new guy can handle bidness.

OR

Get a strong Defensive guy and demand he hire a damn good spread option guy. Clark at UAB, Fritz at Tulane...etc

Even tho Mullen worked out- HC'ing experience would matter to me on this hire. I would only grab a coordinator this time if they were a legit Type A. Cohen cant miss a 2nd time.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 06:38 PM
great post 34

Goldendawg
10-14-2019, 06:40 PM
It is one of the least of our worries at this time, but your avatar is the best logo and helmet in my years of going to State games, (since 1963). That said, I certainly don't understand us wearing white helmets in two games when our opposition wore the same unless Jo wanted us to look more like Penn State.

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 06:43 PM
I like the ambition but Urban would not coach Mississippi State if we offered him 30 million a year.

Offshore Dawg
10-14-2019, 06:44 PM
That pretty well sums this whole pile of shit thing up

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 06:46 PM
I said the same thing about Urban Meyer. Make him tell you no first. Kiffin intrigues me bc I think he could light up the scoreboard, but I think he would bolt as soon as another job offer came along.

Coach34
10-14-2019, 06:47 PM
I like the ambition but Urban would not coach Mississippi State if we offered him 30 million a year.

likely not- but make him turn down $6MM per. Average guys bang great looking women all the time by having the guts to go for it...I know, I'm proof of it.

msstate7
10-14-2019, 06:49 PM
likely not- but make him turn down $6MM per. Average guys bang great looking women all the time by having the guts to go for it

If you're gonna make urban say no, make bob stoops also... they both will say no though

Mjoelner34
10-14-2019, 06:56 PM
On the Urban front, say a nightly prayer for Clay Helton to turn it around although it may already be too late.

Cooterpoot
10-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Kiffin can’t and hasn’t won anywhere. He’s full of shit and a sack of shit. That would be a nightmare. I’d take a chance on Sark before him. At least it’s just booze with him.

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Urban is only in it for national titles and legacy at this point. Mullen never had us finish a season higher than 11th in 9 years If you think MSU can ever sniff a national title then you are looking at a 10 year process and Urban is not in it for that long.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Great post 34.

Goldendawg
10-14-2019, 07:00 PM
The late, great Al Davis would not advise hiring Kiffin nor would TN or USC-west.

turkish
10-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Urban Meyer?!? Make him tell us no?!? You guys have no clue. None. Coaches of his caliber don’t even want the stain of a 662# in their call history.

Gutter Cobreh
10-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Below is from a Pat Forde column today, and it show we aren't the only ones that whiffed on our hire:

The Year 2 hype (13). You heard it from fans all offseason — with a second year in Coach X’s system, we’ll start to see results on the field. The culture (so much talk about culture) has been built. The payoff is near.

Here’s the update on that: It’s not working for Scott Frost at Nebraska. Or Chip Kelly at UCLA. Or Willie Taggart at Florida State. Or Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. Or Chad Morris at Arkansas. Or Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State. Or Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M. Their combined record in Year 2: 18-25. Their combined record against Power Five competition: 8-19. Their combined salary in Year 2: $31.35 million, or roughly $4 million per Power Five victory thus far.

https://sports.yahoo.com/5-worst-things-weve-seen-this-college-football-season-155914136.html

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 07:07 PM
I think 34 just described Billy Napier as our next HC

Spread option with creativity is the correct offense for MSU.

Coach34
10-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Kiffin can’t and hasn’t won anywhere. He’s full of shit and a sack of shit. That would be a nightmare. I’d take a chance on Sark before him. At least it’s just booze with him.

Kiffen was turning Tenn around in his short time there- lost to Bama on a blocked FG. Kiffen may not be the answer- but he is better than what we currently have. I'm looking to upgrade. Kiffen is an upgrade

Coach34
10-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Urban Meyer?!? Make him tell us no?!? You guys have no clue. None. Coaches of his caliber don’t even want the stain of a 662# in their call history.

Stop going postal- I realize the chance of him saying yes would be 5%. But why not ask is all I'm saying. It's one 30 second phone call. Hell, most people didnt think Ben Howland would take our job at first- me included. It doesnt hurt to ask. Hell, Shaka Smart told us $3MM when we called him. He knew we wouldnt pay it but at least he gave us a number to make him consider it.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Point is, it doesnt anyone hurt to ask. No 17ing shit, he will say no

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-14-2019, 07:12 PM
If you're gonna make urban say no, make bob stoops also... they both will say no though

Urban- No
Stoops- No
Patterson- No
Fleck- No
Campbell- No

And so on and so on until we end up in exactly the same scenario Tennessee has their last 2 hires.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Lots of Tennessee fans were asking for Kiffin back after UT lost to Georgia State and BYU. Kiffin had it rolling pretty well at FAU till Kendal Briles left to go to Houston. I personally don't want Kiffin though. I'd take K Briles before I took Kiffin.

msstate7
10-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Urban- No
Stoops- No
Patterson- No
Fleck- No
Campbell- No

And so on and so on until we end up in exactly the same scenario Tennessee has their last 2 hires.

Lol, nah... I wouldn't even waste a call on urban, but I would try stoops first. He'll say no, then I'd go get Clawson/fritz/Clark

THE Bruce Dickinson
Stop going postal- I realize the chance of him saying yes would be 5%. But why not ask is all I'm saying. It's one 30 second phone call. Hell, most people didnt think Ben Howland would take our job at first- me included. It doesnt hurt to ask. Hell, Shaka Smart told us $3MM when we called him. He knew we wouldnt pay it but at least he gave us a number to make him consider it.

We have a better chance of beating LSU by 5 TDs than Urban Meyer ever coaching here.

KOdawg1
We have a better chance of beating LSU by 5 TDs than Urban Meyer ever coaching here.
You guys are completely missing it

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 07:19 PM
How come nobody has gone after Jim Tressel? The sweater vest was very successful at Ohio State.

msstate7
10-14-2019, 07:22 PM
How come nobody has gone after Jim Tressel? The sweater vest was very successful at Ohio State.

Isn't he a college president now?

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Billy Napier's offense got completely shut down at home by App State. Still a hot name but stock took a hit there.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-14-2019, 07:24 PM

Why stop there? Give Belichick a call. Hey! Bill Cowher is available.

A phone call can't hurt

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Isn't he a college president now?

Yes he's the president at Youngstown State

Coach34
10-14-2019, 07:27 PM

still wouldnt stop my ass from making the phone call and offering 6 or 7 million per. Hell, I flirted with Demi Moore in front of Ashton Kutcher. I competed with Steve Guttenberg for a hotass blonde at 1am in a dive, downtown bar. As Michael Jordan said- " you miss 100% of the shots you dont take". Make the call and make him say no. You have your legit candidates- but it doesnt hurt to reach out to guys that are royalty.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 07:27 PM

A phone call can't hurt

I'm genuinely curious why no school that I know of has tried to get Tressel to coach again. Ohio State players were getting free tattoos and selling bowl game gear. Big deal. Certainly nothing egregious enough for someone that successful to never be given another coaching job.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Kutcher was probably hoping she'd take the bait so he could sneak over to Mila Kunis' place that night**

Coach34
10-14-2019, 07:30 PM

A phone call can't hurt

Cowher has stated he will never coach again and Bill has the best coaching job in football. Urban was run out of his last job- aka fired for off the field BS. Some of the "woke" schools in college football cant hire him. Huge difference

turkish
10-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Point is, it doesnt anyone hurt to ask. No 17ing shit, he will say no
Wrong! Point is, if his agent even gives us the chance to ask — if he even answers the call — it’ll only be because he’s recording his comedic response so he can troll us in some epic fashion to put on YouTube.

I mean, why waste the breath?

Coach34
10-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Kutcher was probably hoping she'd take the bait so he could sneak over to Mila Kunis' place that night**

It was all fun. Worst part was having to pretend in being interested in a damn LA Clippers game on TV. Fun night tho

NeuteredDawg
10-14-2019, 07:32 PM
Urban Meyer would wreck his coaching legacy if he comes to State. I know, I know...make the call.

Just saying

Commercecomet24
10-14-2019, 07:33 PM
I know one thing, barring some miracle finish to this season, we HAVE to make a change.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Wrong! Point is, if he even gives us the chance to ask, it’ll only be because he’s recording his comedic response so he can troll us in some epic fashion to put on YouTube.

I mean, why waste the breath?

Yep bc Urban Meyer posts shit on YouTube all the time

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 07:34 PM
Hard pass on Les Miles. LSU would probably pay his salary to coach at Mississippi State as we would lose to them every year guaranteed if he was our coach. The idea is to find a coach who does More with Less...and not Less with More. He had the whole state of Louisiana to himself and was barely over .500 during his last 4 years in the SEC.....imagine how bad he would be if he had to split a smaller state with another SEC school.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-14-2019, 07:36 PM
still wouldnt stop my ass from making the phone call and offering 6 or 7 million per. Hell, I flirted with Demi Moore in front of Ashton Kutcher. I competed with Steve Guttenberg for a hotass blonde at 1am in a dive, downtown bar. As Michael Jordan said- " you miss 100% of the shots you dont take". Make the call and make him say no. You have your legit candidates- but it doesnt hurt to reach out to guys that are royalty.

Derp

turkish
10-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Cowher has stated he will never coach again and Bill has the best coaching job in football. Urban was run out of his last job- aka fired for off the field BS. Some of the "woke" schools in college football cant hire him. Huge difference
I dunno. Like MJ said ...

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Lot of folks thought we wouldn't get Howland.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-14-2019, 07:47 PM
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/7/16744708/tennessee-coaching-search-2017-timeline-butch-jones-john-currie-jeremy-pruitt

Coursesuper
10-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Lot of folks thought we wouldn't get Howland.

One difference, the only thing that the athletic department had to do with bringing in Howland was to set up the press conference and smile.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 07:50 PM
What about Butch Jones? He won 9 games several times at Tennessee and he took over for Dooley who didn't exactly leave the program in great shape. A lot of his losses were pretty close losses too. He's at Alabama right now and I would venture to guess hanging out with Saban was probably beneficial in several ways. Not to mention he obviously knows the SEC and the league.

He would be a CEO coach- which is essentially what I think we need. Someone that is a strong leader. That's the biggest failure with the Joe Moorhead hire at it's root. We hired a guy that may be a good play caller and offensive coordinator but since he can't lead the team and is in his own words a "people pleaser" his offense and vision will never reach it's full potential here unless he suddenly becomes a hardass.

Our fans have lower expectations and are 10x more reasonable than Tennessee fans too. He goes 9-4 every year here we'll probably name the stadium after him.

Really Clark?
10-14-2019, 07:53 PM
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/7/16744708/tennessee-coaching-search-2017-timeline-butch-jones-john-currie-jeremy-pruitt

Yeah because we will have a media guy make unfounded accusations against a possible candidate, then have a former coach backstab his way into the AD office during the search and have everything leaked and played out on a national scale. Even the ones who don’t like Cohen don’t believe he will handle it close to the same as that cluster. Get out with that

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 07:59 PM
One difference, the only thing that the athletic department had to do with bringing in Howland was to set up the press conference and smile.

Ok ... I don't know for sure on Howland and maybe you do. I know we won't get Urban but ... can't hurt to call.

Hell ... SEC may choose to script a different season than they do now with Bama always winning SEC or NC. Script Mullen vs Urban in SEC Champ game and make it happen refs ******

BeastMan
10-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Kiffin can?t and hasn?t won anywhere. He?s full of shit and a sack of shit. That would be a nightmare. I?d take a chance on Sark before him. At least it?s just booze with him.

He's currently 4-2 and could possibly go 10-2. If he goes 10-2 or even 9-3 he'll be on a lot of HC search radars. He's grown up a lot down there.

Quaoarsking
10-14-2019, 08:11 PM
What about Butch Jones? He won 9 games several times at Tennessee and he took over for Dooley who didn't exactly leave the program in great shape. A lot of his losses were pretty close losses too. He's at Alabama right now and I would venture to guess hanging out with Saban was probably beneficial in several ways. Not to mention he obviously knows the SEC and the league.

He would be a CEO coach- which is essentially what I think we need. Someone that is a strong leader. That's the biggest failure with the Joe Moorhead hire at it's root. We hired a guy that may be a good play caller and offensive coordinator but since he can't lead the team and is in his own words a "people pleaser" his offense and vision will never reach it's full potential here unless he suddenly becomes a hardass.

Our fans have lower expectations and are 10x more reasonable than Tennessee fans too. He goes 9-4 every year here we'll probably name the stadium after him.

If we're going to hire a failed fired coach, Mark Helfrich and Jim McElwain have had higher highs and higher lows than Butch Jones.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 08:13 PM
He's currently 4-2 and could possibly go 10-2. If he goes 10-2 or even 9-3 he'll be on a lot of HC search radars. He's grown up a lot down there.

I waffle on Kiffin. He likes the nightlife and coeds. Nothing wrong with that but at MSU, you gotta really roll your sleeves up and work. Unlike anyplace he's been IMO.

Coursesuper
10-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Ok ... I don't know for sure on Howland and maybe you do. I know we won't get Urban but ... can't hurt to call.

Hell ... SEC may choose to script a different season than they do now with Bama always winning SEC or NC. Script Mullen vs Urban in SEC Champ game and make it happen refs ******

I give 2 fvcks about Urban but what does a phone call hurt. A major booster that really loves him some basketball and the pres office made that one happen.

Coach34
10-14-2019, 08:20 PM

exactly. And he wants to shank Saban any chance he gets

Liverpooldawg
10-14-2019, 08:30 PM
There's a thread about when Sloppy J lost you, threads about possible new coaches, this and that- so I'm going to hit it all in one thread.

Sloppy J lost me vs Kentucky last year. We played on the road in the rain and we threw more passes than we ran the ball- with Nick Fitzgerald at QB and that below average group of WR's we had last year. That was dumb and I'm being kind by saying that. Plus, we never had any easy throws just to get a player the ball and let him make a play- it's always about multiple reads. You cant do that shit vs Southern defenses with all the athletes teams can put on the field. Then you throw in where he changed the gameplan vs Auburn and ran what Hud and others told him he should run- and we won- and then said "phuck that, ima do what I want win or lose" that told me without a doubt he wasnt going to be successful. No coach is ever successful trying to make his team do things they simply cant do just because that is what he wants to do. My team this year is throwing it 20 times a night and I dont really like it but I play to the strengths of my team- which is my job. It's not about me- it's what I have to make the meal with. Joe's biggest problem is he wants to slang it when he could have rolled with KT and Shrader to produce a top 40 offense. You beat Bama with a mobile QB that can make throws. We nearly beat Bama on the road in 2014 with Dak. OM beat Bama with a mobile QB and great WR talent. Auburn beat Bama with Nick Marshall. Johnny Manziel ran all over Bama's ass. Watson at Clemson- mobile and made throws. Thats the way to do it. But you have to have WR talent.

Who can we hire?

We can hire alot of damn people out there if we are willing to spend $5MM per to get someone we know can get the job done. Hell, I make Urban Meyer say no to $6MM/per before I talk to anybody else- and he probably will say no but at least I asked. If I'm Cohen- I look for an offensive guy with a strong personality. Joe fit the offensive part but he isnt the strong leader part. Get a strong offensive guy- like OK St did with Gundy, like OU has done, Scott Satterfield maybe altho that might be a tough pull...something in that mold. Lane Kiffen would also get a phone call. He is a good college coach and would love to get a shot at Saban. He may not want to ever leave the beach tho. Hell, Hud with Will Hall as his OC would be better than what we currently have because those 2 would realize what they had to do vs the SEC when they take the job. (and no I'm not cheering for Hud- but he would be better than what we have currently). Make sure the offensive coach we hire is able to hire a strong DC. Keep Shoop- who I believe is a solid coach, or try to grab Mason after Vandy fires him....have a good DC and pay him so that the new guy can handle bidness.

OR

Get a strong Defensive guy and demand he hire a damn good spread option guy. Clark at UAB, Fritz at Tulane...etc

Even tho Mullen worked out- HC'ing experience would matter to me on this hire. I would only grab a coordinator this time if they were a legit Type A. Cohen cant miss a 2nd time.

You lost me at the GOAT boy. NO, just no. Trust me, I know more about him as a coach than you do. WE DO NOT WANT THE GOAT BOY. The only other thing I might argue is when Joe lost you. That's a bit early. I can't say really for myself. I'm not sure he ever had me really. I was in wait and see mode. I still am but it ain't looking good. I like what he obviously wants to do on offense. That is the future for sure. The execution and implementation ain't happening right now. I thought it was on the QB and the receivers last year, and said so. It still is to some degree, but that ain't all. We are too disorganized and soft. We also are bordering on JWS level of discipline. The signs are NOT good, as you pointed out.

shoeless joe
10-14-2019, 08:35 PM

It’s a good possibility I’d quit being a fan of our football program if this went done...nice troll job

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 08:36 PM
exactly. And he wants to shank Saban any chance he gets

It would definitely make the Alabama game interesting.

RougeDawg
10-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Let’s put it this way. Not having a head coach at this point would be an upgrade. That is the state of our program at this very moment.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 08:40 PM
It’s a good possibility I’d quit being a fan of our football program if this went done...nice troll job

More of an example than anything.

The fact of the matter is Ed Orgeron is no X and O's genius. But he works because LSU has committed to hiring good coordinators and Coach O gets the hell out of the way and lets them do their job while he handles the recruiting, press conferences, and other head coaching chores.

My point is I think we went wrong looking for a football genius when we should have been more focused on a coach's leadership ability.

TUSK
10-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Kiffin today isn’t the same ole Kiffin. He’s allegedly retired Joey Freshwater and gotten some religion. I’d love to have him back at Bammer if he were committed.

And he’d love to beat MDL.

For only 15%-20% of the check, y’all could negotiate away Moorehead’s contract and make a legit offer.

RougeDawg
10-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Kiffin today isn?t the same ole Kiffin. He?s allegedly retired Joey Freshwater and gotten some religion. I?d love to have him back at Bammer if he were committed.

And he?d love to beat MDL.

For only 15%-20% of the check, y?all could negotiate away Moorehead?s contract and make a legit offer.

After O and Saban break two off in him, he may pay us some money back to get the hell out of town. He is a broken person at this point.

TUSK
10-14-2019, 09:04 PM
After O and Saban break two off in him, he may pay us some money back to get the hell out of town. He is a broken person at this point.

I’m not privy to his current psyche or competitiveness... and he probably wouldn’t accept the gig, anyway...

However, with Phat Phil at UT, y’all likely wouldn’t have to compete with them (if they fire Pruitt), which is a big deal.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Another name that intrigues me is Bryan Harsin at Boise State. He's from Idaho and played at Boise State, but he's a tough SOB and all he's done is win. Worst season in 6 seasons at BSU was 9-4. 65-20 overall as a head coach. I think it'd be tough to pull him away from there, but he makes $1.5. Throw $4 million at him, and see what he says.

lastmajordog
10-14-2019, 09:32 PM
34...someone had the ***** to The Kang.....make some calls!!!!!!!

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Idk why but everyone wins at Boise State. That said I wouldn't be opposed to giving Harsin a shot.

shoeless joe
10-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Idk why but everyone wins at Boise State. That said I wouldn't be opposed to giving Harsin a shot.

Mainly because they only hafta get up for 1-2 games a year

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Maybe and they're also basically unbeatable on that cheating blue turf but they get a lot of really good players to come play there. Pretty amazing run that school has had for a long long time.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-14-2019, 09:53 PM
The way things are going in Big D, maybe Dak can put in a good word for Jason Garrett. **

Todd4State
10-15-2019, 12:52 AM
Another name that intrigues me is Bryan Harsin at Boise State. He's from Idaho and played at Boise State, but he's a tough SOB and all he's done is win. Worst season in 6 seasons at BSU was 9-4. 65-20 overall as a head coach. I think it'd be tough to pull him away from there, but he makes $1.5. Throw $4 million at him, and see what he says.

He used to be the coach at Arkansas State so he probably isn't averse to coming to the South.