PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comment By Moorhead Today

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Listened to Joe's press conference today and a quote stood out to me.

"People that know me know that I'm a people pleaser"

Joe Moorhead is a good man, but great coaches, CEOs, Generals, Mafia bosses, entrepreneurs, principals, presidents, GMs, etc are not people pleasers. They are typically disagreeable and demand respect through their intellect and judgement no matter what the crowd may think.

In the end, Joe has a substitute teacher persona. He's the sub that you loved in middle school, but your ability to be educated would go to hell if that sub was ever the full time teacher.

Joe reminds me of Wade Phillips tenure with the Cowboys when he took over for Parcells. Wade is an excellent DC, but is a people pleaser and good cop.

All great coaching staffs have a good cop/bad cop structure with the head guy's job being to rip a player's ass and the assistant's to hug him and explain what the head guy meant.

Again, Joe is a good man but he's middle management.

Joe problem now is that the player's would completely lose respect for him and sense out fraudulence if he instantly changed to a bad cop personality. He's going to have figure out how to make this good cop thing work.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 03:58 PM
Damn Gun ... that there might be a right smart post *****

I seen it dawg
10-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Pretty basic and accurate

Rex54
10-14-2019, 04:07 PM
So like many have said.... he doesn’t jive with “southern football players”

Easy as that.

Dawg Tired
10-14-2019, 04:14 PM
I?ve read many recruits refer to JoMo as a player?s coach. I think that may give clues to his mannerisms with his players. Not very many coaches can get away with that in a HC role. One of the few that comes to mind is Pete Carrol in Seattle. With that said, it?s obvious this approach is not working and it?s nearly impossible to change now. The only options we have is to get a new coach or to wait for a special group of players in key leadership positions to provide that tough leadership internally. I say we find a new coach.

NCDawg
10-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Easy as that.

Didn't matter to Cohen, though. He wanted a Yankee coach.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 04:21 PM
I was told that many of the recruits sit and laugh their ass off after he leaves the house.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 04:23 PM
I?ve read many recruits refer to JoMo as a player?s coach. I think that may give clues to his mannerisms with his players. Not very many coaches can get away with that in a HC role. One of the few that comes to mind is Pete Carrol in Seattle. With that said, it?s obvious this approach is not working and it?s nearly impossible to change now. The only options we have is to get a new coach or to wait for a special group of players in key leadership positions to provide that tough leadership internally. I say we find a new coach.

Carroll will still chew some butt when warranted.

Lord McBuckethead
10-14-2019, 04:24 PM

I disagree. It is not impossible to turn it around. You just have to choose to change it. Yeah, its going to piss some players off in the short term, but they should be pissed because how much they suck anyway.
The conversation has to start this way by moorhead to the team.....
I am sorry I failed you. I was a friend and not a coach or leader. I didn't set an expectation for your work ethic. I didn't set an expectation for your production. I didn't set an expectation on maintaining the right way of doing things. As of this moment, doing things the wrong way will not be tolerated at any level on this team. If you cannot pass your classes without cheating, you're gone. If you fail to push the limits in the weight room, you're gone. If you allow your teammate to slack off, you too will be riding the pine. We have 10.5 months until the start of next year. If you are not building to opening day 2020 from this meeting on, you will not play in the maroon and white. We came here to be Bulldogs, and that is what we are going to do.

Then, beginning with the first play watching the tape or the first whistle out on the field, you have to stick to it. Jump all over guys ass that is failing at grasping simple shit like coverage responsibilities and blocking and have tons of energy for the guys that are doing it right. Teach, but let them know, shits got to change unless they like only gaining 13 yards on 11 running plays. Unless they like getting embarrassed by damn UT. If a certain marquis player refuses to run his route or pick up a block, sit their ass. If they don't improve, don't let them dress out. If they still can't get with the program, send them packing.... mid season if you have to.

Then the ones left standing......I can stand to watch them on the field next week.

Now if Moorhead believed all of this was already happening in the program, fire him immediately.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Carroll will still chew some butt when warranted.

Carroll has elite energy.

Generally, if your going to be a bad cop, you've got to be absolutely elite in the energy department to maintain order.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 05:01 PM
The person that he was hired to please was Cohen. That's all folks. That is the issue here also. Cohen wants coaches under him that he can manipulate. He got him one in this JoMo dude.

Political Hack
10-14-2019, 05:27 PM
If this basketball season somehow goes south, Cohen may quickly find himself in hot water.

was21
10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
It has nothing to do with southern football players...it's a mindset and personality

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
The person that he was hired to please was Cohen. That's all folks. That is the issue here also. Cohen wants coaches under him that he can manipulate. He got him one in this JoMo dude.

This is certainly a concern.

If you look at his 3 major hires, there is a growing trend:

1. Canny - Actually has many of the right ingredients except character, but since he was unqualified for the job, he was in debt to Cohen.

2. Moorhead - Passive personality and people pleaser

3. Lemonis - Similar to Moorhead but extremely qualified and baseball is a different sport.

Point being, all 3 of these guys are people that Cohen could control. I don't think it's a conscience effort by Cohen to hire controllable people, but his instincts could be such that always default to less threatening people being around him. Being threatened by big personality could be an unconscious insecurity of Cohen's. I've always just wished Cohen would hire himself, but it's possible he's uncomfortable with that.

MSU football needs a self made M'fker. That's what we need but Cohen would probably have to humble himself to hire that guy.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 05:51 PM
You are spot on shotgun.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Easy as that.

I'm not sure if he's jive anywhere as a HC except elite academic institutions that have some of the most self motivated people on Earth as students. For played that need a push, he's not the guy.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Pretty safe assumption both basketball and baseball ain't going south anytime soon. Howland has us setup to be a tourney team for awhile already.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 06:09 PM
I agree. Basketball(both womens and mens) and baseball are on the upswing. The only way JoMo Offense will ever work is if he recruits 5* talent at all positions and THAT AIN'T HAPPENING. He's done and the only issue is how far does he take us before Cohen is forced to cut Joe off?

Maroonthirteen
10-14-2019, 07:50 PM
It has nothing to do with southern football players...it's a mindset and personality

A buddy has a son recruited by many D1 programs and visited MSU. My buddy says the parents of kids committed to MSU really like Moorhead and Shoop.

Moorhead’s problem is offensive philosophy.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 07:54 PM
A buddy has a son recruited by many D1 programs and visited MSU. My buddy says the parents of kids committed to MSU really like Moorhead and Shoop.

Moorhead’s problem is offensive philosophy.

Moorhead's problem is he's soft and doesn't demand discipline.

RougeDawg
10-14-2019, 08:44 PM
I agree. Basketball(both womens and mens) and baseball are on the upswing. The only way JoMo Offense will ever work is if he recruits 5* talent at all positions and THAT AIN'T HAPPENING. He's done and the only issue is how far does he take us before Cohen is forced to cut Joe off?

Hopefully 10/21/19.

Dawg_Lover
10-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Following the ?Bob from Bogue Chitto? comment, I would find it difficult to apply the label of people pleaser. I took it as a thinly veiled insult to Southerners in general, and Mississippians specifically, who by the way are the fan base. Maybe I am dead wrong, but it seemed to come from an attitude of superiority.

Dawg_Lover
10-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Nothing against anyone from Bogue Chitto, mind you. It was the intent and perception of the statement.

Dawgfan77
10-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Can I just say when your SEC coach in football brings out that opening statement then goes off on a look at me feel sorry for me PC... shit guys our football coach, our football coach just went for the sympathy jugular 6 games into his second season. He might as well wave the white flag.
We need more dogs cause we have a cat running our program. How can the IB not see this

dawgday166
10-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Pretty safe assumption both basketball and baseball ain't going south anytime soon. Howland has us setup to be a tourney team for awhile already.

The MSU kiss of death. Once our fans say something like this ... if it can go wrong it will go wrong. And for MSU it can always go wrong ... even in the most unlikely ways.

BB30
10-15-2019, 10:31 AM
This is certainly a concern.

If you look at his 3 major hires, there is a growing trend:

1. Canny - Actually has many of the right ingredients except character, but since he was unqualified for the job, he was in debt to Cohen.

2. Moorhead - Passive personality and people pleaser

3. Lemonis - Similar to Moorhead but extremely qualified and baseball is a different sport.

Point being, all 3 of these guys are people that Cohen could control. I don't think it's a conscience effort by Cohen to hire controllable people, but his instincts could be such that always default to less threatening people being around him. Being threatened by big personality could be an unconscious insecurity of Cohen's. I've always just wished Cohen would hire himself, but it's possible he's uncomfortable with that.

MSU football needs a self made M'fker. That's what we need but Cohen would probably have to humble himself to hire that guy.

Do you know John Cohen personally? If not, how can you comment on what his intentions are?

There isn't anyone in State athletics that wants to see state succeed in everything more than him.

On paper JOMO checked a lot of the boxes we all wanted to see filled including you.

Innovative offense
Good recruiter
Good man
Confident
ETC.

Sometimes you make poor hires simply based on the information you have on hand. On paper he looked like a great hire. It is so easy to say in hindsight that it was a horrible hire but there was no way of knowing that at the time.

The guy had been successful everywhere he had been prior to landing here at some programs that had been historically terrible.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Can I just say when your SEC coach in football brings out that opening statement then goes off on a look at me feel sorry for me PC... shit guys our football coach, our football coach just went for the sympathy jugular 6 games into his second season. He might as well wave the white flag.
We need more dogs cause we have a cat running our program. How can the IB not see this

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HomelyGlaringIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif