PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Billy Napier?

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Napier was on staff with Dabo at Clemson, he worked under Saban, McElwain, Todd Gratham at Arizona St., and is doing a pretty good job at ULL.

He grew up in Georgia and has been a pretty good Offensive Coordinator in several stops. He worked under Saban for 4 years as a WR coach which says something about him. He was an analyst under Saban and went with McElwain to Colorado St. Saban thought pretty highly of him because after one year at Colorado St he brought him back as WR coach.

I really liked the way they competed against us this year and it seems like most games they have lost the last 2 years with him as head coach, they have been competitive except for Bama and us last year.

TNDawg35
10-14-2019, 03:43 PM
They played us hard and then took App State who is undefeated to the wire last wk.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Like his offense but I don't know his personality. Therefore my opinion is useless.

Really Clark?
10-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Napier was on staff with Dabo at Clemson, he worked under Saban, McElwain, Todd Gratham at Arizona St., and is doing a pretty good job at ULL.

He grew up in Georgia and has been a pretty good Offensive Coordinator in several stops. He worked under Saban for 4 years as a WR coach which says something about him. He was an analyst under Saban and went with McElwain to Colorado St. Saban thought pretty highly of him because after one year at Colorado St he brought him back as WR coach.

I really liked the way they competed against us this year and it seems like most games they have lost the last 2 years with him as head coach, they have been competitive except for Bama and us last year.

Want to see his product for another 2 years as a HC. Unless he does something crazy and pulls a couple big upsets next year over Missouri and Wyoming or plays Mizzou really great game I could see a bigger program going after him then with 10 win season. Just too short of a track record if you are looking at a coach at that level. He has had some bumps as well, fired his second year as OC at Clemson but stuff like that happens.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Want to see his product for another 2 years as a HC. Unless he does something crazy and pulls a couple big upsets next year over Missouri and Wyoming or plays Mizzou really great game I could see a bigger program going after him then with 10 win season. Just too short of a track record if you are looking at a coach at that level. He has had some bumps as well, fired his second year as OC at Clemson but stuff like that happens.

It seems like he got that gig pretty early in his career and his first year was great and then the second year struggled. He has rebounded in other places but I could see being in a wait and see mode with him. I do like the fact that he has been in the SEC for a while and has experience at Clemson. Lasting 5 years under Saban definitely is a check mark on the good side.

RiverCityDawg
10-14-2019, 04:00 PM
He would be a candidate for me, but like Shotgun said, I don't know what kind of personality he has so it's hard to say for sure. He's another guy that calls his own plays. I like his scheme, which is spread but focuses on the run game but uses misdirection to create numbers. His O line was pretty nasty, which I like. He relies a lot on analytics, which is something I would want to know more about. Is it just another tool for him or is he all about the numbers at the expense of what he might be seeing in real time? Like I said, he would be a candidate for me.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 04:16 PM
I bet if he was already here that the team would look totally different. Joe is lacking and I think he has some assistants who are also lacking. It's a bad bad deal all the way around.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 04:17 PM
He has the potential to be a great hire. Only knock is he has only been a head coach for 2 years. If he finishes this year strong, no one snatches him up, and he has another good year next year, he would be at the top of my list.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-14-2019, 04:20 PM
..... been a head coach for 2 years....

So you are saying it would be progress. I would like this hire.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 04:22 PM
So you are saying it would be progress. I would like this hire.
If I have to choose two realistic names right now, Im going with Napier and Norvell

timotheus
10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
shit, at least these guys have a competitive pulse and a sense of urgency.

Cooterpoot
10-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Can’t win his conference with a Sr laden team, but his resume is solid. Dabo fired him. Saban hires him, twice.