PDA

View Full Version : Here?s a damn winning strategy, Cohen

Dawgology
10-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Go hire an experienced winning head football coach. Then hire him a great OC and DC and give them money to hire plenty of qualified staff.

Saving money on a head coach/OC or head coach/DC. F that. It?s time for experiments to end and go apply the formula that works 90% of the time.

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 03:26 PM
As fast as Cohen moved to hire Joe we don't really know if we had some other experienced coaches that really wanted the job. I have been told that Todd Monken wanted to wait until regular season NFL was done before he would interview and Cohen said no, and moved on. This time the process needs to be thorough.

Homedawg
10-14-2019, 03:29 PM
W signing day in dec you can't wait on someone who asks you to wait. And damn sure not Todd Monken.

StarkVegasSteve
10-14-2019, 03:38 PM
W signing day in dec you can't wait on someone who asks you to wait. And damn sure not Todd Monken.

That's the problem nowadays. You have to hire quick if the coach doesn't leave til the end of the season. That's why if this is gonna happen Cohen needs to be interviewing people now so that when all this goes down we know exactly who we're gonna get an have a backup if Plan A gets cold feet.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Performing another coaching swap with Louisville --> Moorhead for Satterfield.

Rex54
10-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Performing another coaching swap with Louisville --> Moorhead for Satterfield.

Trade him to Rutgers for Schiano

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 04:13 PM

That might work too.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Go hire an experienced winning head football coach. Then hire him a great OC and DC and give them money to hire plenty of qualified staff.

Saving money on a head coach/OC or head coach/DC. F that. It?s time for experiments to end and go apply the formula that works 90% of the time.

BINGO!

Political Hack
10-14-2019, 04:15 PM
I was told Monken was interested and Whit from utah wanted it. Hindsight and all... but either would've been better.

KOdawg1
10-14-2019, 04:18 PM
I was told Monken was interested and Whit from utah wanted it. Hindsight and all... but either would've been better.

Whit wanted it? Damn, that hurts

tcdog70
10-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Bill Clark---It ain't hard

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I was told by a relative of Monken's he was very interested.

OSCAR
10-14-2019, 04:21 PM
As fast as Cohen moved to hire Joe we don't really know if we had some other experienced coaches that really wanted the job. I have been told that Todd Monken wanted to wait until regular season NFL was done before he would interview and Cohen said no, and moved on. This time the process needs to be thorough.

Slow playing us is what agents will do with most solid candidates. So if you want them we will have to have thick skin and take rejection and keep going down the list. That all said, I’m in the minority but I think it would be foolish to jump ship on JoMo this soon unless we lose out in the SEC. I’d give him one more year to get his system going. If we get a reputation like TN of having unrealistic and unfair expectations to coaches then we absolutely could find ourselves getting turned down by coaches at smaller schools holding out for “safer gigs.” I know we lost to TN but I wouldn’t trade places with them.

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Monken's better than Moorhead. Get the wrong coach and signing day won't matter.

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Slow playing us is what agents will do with most solid candidates. So if you want them we will have to have thick skin and take rejection and keep going down the list. That all said, I’m in the minority but I think it would be foolish to jump ship on JoMo this soon unless we lose out in the SEC. I’d give him one more year to get his system going. If we get a reputation like TN of having unrealistic and unfair expectations to coaches then we absolutely could find ourselves getting turned down by coaches at smaller schools holding out for “safer gigs.” I know we lost to TN but I wouldn’t trade places with them.

And I would usually agree with you but the college sports media narrative over the last 48 hours is Moorhead has all but erased Mullen's 9 years in just a year and a half. They are blaming Moorhead for his coaching not our expectations. Tennessee has been shitty for over ten years. We haven't.

Really Clark?
10-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Agents can’t slow play like that as much with early signing period now. Schools will move on and kind of have to unless you are absolutely sold on one guy being above and beyond the best candidate (best fit) for your school. You are talking about big name guys like Chip Kelly who could play around until they got the job they wanted, then the jobs began falling in place. And most before Dec at that.

Nobody will include us in the TN search unless we act like the fools they were, let a reporter falsify a candidate to turn public opinion, fire the AD mid-search (back stabbed by fat Phil, again) to turn the whole thing into a cluster. That was an extraordinary set of screw-ups that nobody will lump our search in with that.

I agree if the worse case happens and we finish 6-6, then things are very difficult. Except he may get still be seen as a good candidate elsewhere and we can have a mutual separation. It never takes 3 years to implement a system to get it looking like some semblance of a cohesive offensive strategy. And if he has truly lost the team, you absolutely have to make a change. A third, fourth, fifth...ever how many years you want to give them, they will never recover from losing a team. System is irrelevant at that point.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 04:46 PM
who are we going to beat to get to 6 wins? I'll wait

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2019, 05:00 PM
And I would usually agree with you but the college sports media narrative over the last 48 hours is Moorhead has all but erased Mullen's 9 years in just a year and a half. They are blaming Moorhead for his coaching not our expectations. Tennessee has been shitty for over ten years. We haven't.

And this also isn't a situation where a coach was coming in and cleaning up a mess either. If he was following Croom and was fired after 2 years, it's an issue. If had fired Mullen after '16, then only given a coach a couple of years, it's an issue. But firing a coach of a team fans and media alike know is better than the results have shown is akin to cutting out the cancer before it can spread.

dawgs
10-14-2019, 05:47 PM

I recognize this is likely tongue-in-cheek, but I'd rather stay far far away from schiano.