PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead conference

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Was, um, interesting.

I'll recap:

His parents and family support him (they were maroon in Western PA)...
His daughter cried because she heard people say her Dad sucked at coaching....
His kids go to Starkville public schools...
Can't see the forest for the trees...
Lot's of text to him this weekend about how people just don't understand the process, keep doing what you're doing (who sent those text? Other SEC coaches??). He specifically mentioned Strange Brew as one of them.
Same players that have been hurt are still hurt...
LSU is really good. Coach O one of his favorites.
Oh, he needs "the best fan base in America" to wear white this weekend.

Ended that with promptly putting a quote on Twitter about coming together and working together to be a success (or some garbage like that).

Basically, if you can't see the progress you're blind.

Indndawg
10-14-2019, 12:53 PM
So basically he's given up.

bluelightstar
10-14-2019, 12:54 PM
He spent the first 8 minutes about to cry. Whole thing was weird.

StarkVegasSteve
10-14-2019, 12:55 PM
I didn't take it that way. I still don't believe that he's going to work out, but I appreciated him owning up to the mistake and saying he 17'd up and he sucked on Saturday. Probably shouldn't have said anything about people texting him since former players were on Twitter bashing the program and him.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 12:55 PM

SEC probably broke him like it broke Stevens.

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Yes, I could tell he was holding it back. I honestly feel bad for him, I really do. He's in way over his head and he doesn't know what to do. He can't walk away from the money but he doesn't want to fired so quickly as a failure. It's a mess. Let's pray Rutgers comes thru for us and him/his family.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Great, a big pouty assed loser

StarkVegasSteve
10-14-2019, 12:57 PM
SEC probably broke him like it broke Stevens.

He kind of almost hinted at that saying how every day in this conference humbles you.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-14-2019, 01:00 PM
I didn't take it that way. I still don't believe that he's going to work out, but I appreciated him owning up to the mistake and saying he 17'd up and he sucked on Saturday. Probably shouldn't have said anything about people texting him since former players were on Twitter bashing the program and him.

How many sucky weekends does he have to own up to before enough is enough though? There comes a point where you stop doing the same ole BS that is not working and make adjustments. And mentioning his daughter crying is a pathetic attempt at sympathy. He should not have shared that.

parabrave
10-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Yes, I could tell he was holding it back. I honestly feel bad for him, I really do. He's in way over his head and he doesn't know what to do. He can't walk away from the money but he doesn't want to fired so quickly as a failure. It's a mess. Let's pray Rutgers comes thru for us and him/his family.

He needs to hire fing OC to run the practices who can teach these kids and someone who can run the game day activities. Hey it's working for O and GD Herm RALF Edwards.

dawgday166
Started out somewhat humble then digressed to what you posted and lost it for me. Hear that every week. Although I will say folks shouldn't yell at his daughter that her Dad sucks .. that's classless.

Also kinda referenced Horka's question that brought the Bob from Bogue Chitto response (without mentioning that particular statement). Said it was an "emotional" response.

Said people that know him know he's a "people pleaser". So he wants to make the fans happy. I hate to tell you Joe but that might mean making the players unhappy somewhat by getting tough on them and making them tough. And playing the tough players too.

I didn't understand the moving in right direction and it takes time to build something comments either. Not saying it don't take time to build something but don't tear a solid concrete and brick foundation totally apart, burn it to the ground, and then start building a wood shack either.

Indndawg
This right here.

Hypnodawg
10-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Also said people need understand the rebuilding process... This was not a damn rebuild

TaleofTwoDogs
10-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Damn, Cadaver you need to check your meds.

Pollodawg
10-14-2019, 01:06 PM
I honestly think that he’s doing his best. He’s pushing all the buttons he knows to push. And it just ain’t working.

But, you can’t excuse being out of your depth. They bought into Starkville. They really did.

But it just ain’t working. I think he would be happier somewhere else. And so would we be happier with someone else.

If he leaves, it’ll be mutual.

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Yes, to clarify, telling the kids her Dad sucks is terrible if it was said directly to them. I THINK he said they overheard people say that though which is different. I'm a people pleaser too and he could not be in a worse postilion (SEC coach) and have that trait unfortunately. It will destroy you inside. The criticism is constant.

MetEdDawg
10-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Also said people need understand the rebuilding process... This was not a damn rebuild

This year was absolutely a rebuild. Now it wasn't supposed to look like this but if you didn't think this year was a rebuild that's on you.

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 01:09 PM
I honestly think that he’s doing his best. He’s pushing all the buttons he knows to push. And it just ain’t working.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think he knows what to do, I really don't. I think he's frustrated because he knows that.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 01:09 PM
There is no process when you just call the right plays from the start and you use your players strengths correctly. We already have the players. Abandon the damn Fordham Pizza Plays already!! Run the offense like you did vs Auburn and aTm last year. That's it. Win damn games and stop valuing that you win them while using your pizza plays you drew up in a basement at Fordham. They worked against slow small white boys in the who gives a 17 conference. They don't work against grow monsters that run fast as 17 in the SEC conference.

MoreCowbell
10-14-2019, 01:14 PM
where can I watch it? Anyone have a link? Thanks in advance

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 01:14 PM

I think Croom said this in 2005.

KB21
10-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Started out somewhat humble then digressed to what you posted and lost it for me. Hear that every week. Although I will say folks shouldn't yell at his daughter that her Dad sucks .. that's classless.

Also kinda referenced Horka's question that brought the Bob from Bogue Chitto response (without mentioning that particular statement). Said it was an "emotional" response.

Said people that know him know he's a "people pleaser". So he wants to make the fans happy. I hate to tell you Joe but that might mean making the players unhappy somewhat by getting tough on them and making them tough. And playing the tough players too.

I didn't understand the moving in right direction and it takes time to build something comments either. Not saying it don't take time to build something but don't tear a solid concrete and brick foundation totally apart, burn it to the ground, and then start building a wood shack either.

I think the people pleaser part is the issue. There is too much trying to be buddies with the players and not enough kicking them in the rear end.

dawgday166
This year was absolutely a rebuild. Now it wasn't supposed to look like this but if you didn't think this year was a rebuild that's on you.

Our starters on O consisted of 3 Srs, 3 RS Srs, and 5 Jrs starting out the year.

Backup Oline consists of 2 Srs, 1 RS Sr, 1 Jr, and 1 stud 4* RS Fr.

Backup WRs - Sr, Jr, So

Backup TE - RS Jr

Backup RB - RS Sr

Backup QB - FR

That don't quite look like a rebuild to me.

gtowndawg
where can I watch it? Anyone have a link? Thanks in advance

I watch on the Mississippi State football twitter account. You can usually go back and watch there.

Tbonewannabe

It was a rebuild in the fact that we lost a good bit of talent and would have stepped back to 6-8 wins. It was never a rebuild year with 4-5 wins. Losing so many games that he is favored in is a really bad sign.

fishwater99
10-14-2019, 01:18 PM

He is making it into one. Keep those expectations low in S-Vegas..

MoreCowbell
10-14-2019, 01:18 PM
I watch on the Mississippi State football twitter account. You can usually go back and watch there.

Thanks

Quaoarsking
10-14-2019, 01:19 PM
I almost felt bad for him until I remembered that he's now a multimillionaire on our dime.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 01:19 PM
I think the people pleaser part is the issue. There is too much trying to be buddies with the players and not enough kicking them in the rear end.

My point exactly. Saban & Dabo don't give 2 shits what anyone thinks ... players or fans. They just gonna get results.

parabrave
10-14-2019, 01:21 PM
One thing about what he mentioned that sucks about some of our fans. You don't tell his kids their dad sucks. LEAVE THE KIDS AND FAMILY OUT OF IT>

Pollodawg
10-14-2019, 01:26 PM
One thing about what he mentioned that sucks about some of our fans. You don't tell his kids their dad sucks. LEAVE THE KIDS AND FAMILY OUT OF IT>

This. You lost all sympathy with me when you went after his wife and kids. 17 that.

Churchill
10-14-2019, 01:27 PM
I'm starting to get vibes that Joe wants out of here just as bad as we want him out of here...

KB21
10-14-2019, 01:27 PM
I almost felt bad for him until I remembered that he's now a multimillionaire on our dime.

The fact that he makes on average $3.2 million does not mean that it is OK to be demeaning to him or his family. I think he needs to be replaced, but I’m not going to start calling him names and shout at his family.

Maroonthirteen
10-14-2019, 01:29 PM

Did he say where this happened? 50% (at least) of the GTR are not State fans and are Bama fan types that don’t
Go to games. They were a mouthy bunch back in my day. I can’t
Imagine now that Bama has won NC after NC.

yjnkdawg
10-14-2019, 01:29 PM
There is no process when you just call the right plays from the start and you use your players strengths correctly. We already have the players. Abandon the damn Fordham Pizza Plays already!! Run the offense like you did vs Auburn and aTm last year. That's it. Win damn games and stop valuing that you win them while using your pizza plays you drew up in a basement at Fordham. They worked against slow small white boys in the who gives a 17 conference. They don't work against grow monsters that run fast as 17 in the SEC conference.

The check with me type offense seems to be working for Joe Burrow and the LSU offense right now, with Joe Brady being the main one in coming up with their offensive game plan. That doesn't mean I think it will work here. All I am saying is that it is working at LSU right now.

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Our starters on O consisted of 3 Srs, 3 RS Srs, and 5 Jrs starting out the year.

Backup Oline consists of 2 Srs, 1 RS Sr, 1 Jr, and 1 stud 4* RS Fr.

Backup WRs - Sr, Jr, So

Backup TE - RS Jr

Backup RB - RS Sr

Backup QB - FR

That don't quite look like a rebuild to me.

The offense had a question mark at QB - that's it. And as bad as the defense has been, regression is at least somewhat understandable with the talent we lost. But even it wasn't a rebuild -
Saturday we started:
DL - RSR, RSR, RFR, Jr.
LBS - SR, JR, SR
DBS - SR, SR, JR, JR

Now, was it inexperienced in terms of starts prior to this season? Arguably. Is depth young? Yes. But, this was game 6. By game 6 things should be progressing not getting worse, and it got worse.

bobtail bob
10-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Which is exactly why he brought it up. Take the focus off his shitty job performance and emphasize pulling on your heart strings.
I bet it?s just made up bs. This lazy bastard can?t get out of town fast enough for me

Hypnodawg
10-14-2019, 01:32 PM
It was a rebuild in the fact that we lost a good bit of talent and would have stepped back to 6-8 wins. It was never a rebuild year with 4-5 wins. Losing so many games that he is favored in is a really bad sign.

This. He is acting like he should have the same expectation as Croom in year 2. BS.. This program was not a rebuild.

quickstrike2
10-14-2019, 01:33 PM
I don't buy that the fans directly said to his daughter "your dad sucks." The way that statement is said is for sympathy. I am sure that some fans did say "Moorhead sucks" and his family was in the area, but that is the price to coach in the SEC. He is making millions, their is going to be criticism when things are going poorly.

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 01:34 PM
Joe is a very nice person. I like that he acknowledges the "people pleaser" issue. Shoop is one heck of a DC....but this is probably one of those years where you need the DC on the sideline chewing people out like Grantham. We just feel way too soft looking at the sideline. ...coaches, players, everyone.

parabrave
10-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Did he say where this happened? 50% (at least) of the GTR are not State fans and are Bama fan types that don’t
Go to games. They were a mouthy bunch back in my day. I can’t
Imagine now that Bama has won NC after NC.

YEP. In the stands after the game when fans are telling his family their dad sucks.

Homedawg
10-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Joe's words- I'm here to take the program from good to great.... not mine, his.

Really Clark?
10-14-2019, 01:40 PM
The check with me type offense seems to be working for Joe Burrow and the LSU offense right now, with Joe Brady being the main one in coming up with their offensive game plan. That doesn't mean I think it will work here. All I am saying is that it is working at LSU right now.

Yeah but they are also uptempo and not making huge play changes usually when they check.

yjnkdawg
10-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Yeah but they are also uptempo and not making huge play changes usually when they check.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said a check with me "type" offense.

Dawg61
10-14-2019, 01:49 PM

The only similarities in our pizza plays offense to LSU's offense is that we also have 11 players on the field and we are wearing uniforms just like they do.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Whoever did that would have to actually know who his daughter was to do that and I highly doubt they realized who they were.

If you’re going to have family in sports at a high level you’re going to have to deal with that sometimes right or wrong.

BayouDawg
10-14-2019, 01:53 PM
YEP. In the stands after the game when fans are telling his family their dad sucks.

If that even happened. Looks more like a sympathy grab to me

Pollodawg
10-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Here?s how I feel about Moorhead: If I ask a kid to go play DB, and he just can?t handle the position, he isn?t quick enough, he has poor ball location skills, he lacks height, his backpeddle sucks, that?s not his fault.

It?s MY fault for keeping him at that position AFTER I know he?s out of his depth. If Moorhead gets year three, and we tank yet again (like we will), I don?t blame Moorhead anymore. I blame Cohen.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 02:02 PM
I think Mike Leach summed it up well:

It’s either coached or allowed.

I think Joe allows too much.

CovertDawg
10-14-2019, 02:09 PM
One question I would have like asked...."Since you are a people pleaser, how do you counter balance that?"

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
It sounds like he's just going through the motions. He's looking for a way out.

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Whoever did that would have to actually know who his daughter was to do that and I highly doubt they realized who they were.

If you’re going to have family in sports at a high level you’re going to have to deal with that sometimes right or wrong.

That's what I think. I know I couldn't pick out his wife or kids in a 10 person lineup. I really couldn't. I have a feeling they just overheard some frustrated fans talking. I do hate it for them, but this comes with the territory. I imagine at Fordam there was a lot of "that's ok, we'll give it the old college try next week" after a loss but as we know, it's a bit different here.

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm starting to get vibes that Joe wants out of here just as bad as we want him out of here...

100% agree.

OSCAR
10-14-2019, 02:17 PM

I agree. Mistakes have been made but this is a rebuild under probation. He isn?t playing with a full deck. That said, he is so boring that I may not even watch the press conference. Wait...wait...I?m a gluten for punishment so here I go...weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Liverpooldawg
10-14-2019, 02:27 PM

This year absolutely was a rebuild year based on what we lost, not on what we had coming back.

Churchill
10-14-2019, 02:27 PM
If I was Keenum Joe and I would be having a prayer meeting about his daughter getting her feelings hurt this afternoon. For him to bring that up at a press conference is chickenshit on his part IMO. It, UNFORTUNATELY , could happen at any stadium in college football.

yjnkdawg
10-14-2019, 02:30 PM
The only similarities in our pizza plays offense to LSU's offense is that we also have 11 players on the field and we are wearing uniforms just like they do.

You need to read my response. I didn't say anything about LSU running an offense just like ours. I said LSU runs a check with me type offense. Which they do.

RiverCityDawg
10-14-2019, 02:44 PM

I thought the same. And if that's true he probably sees what we do, that it's going to get worse before it gets better. BEST CASE scenario is we "only" lose 3 out of the next 4. It's going to be a brutal finish and if it's capped with an Egg Bowl loss there will be no choice but to part ways. It will be better for everyone.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 02:47 PM
This year absolutely was a rebuild year based on what we lost, not on what we had coming back.

Rebuild year as far as a record. Ark, UT, and UM were dumpster fires going into week 3 this year. Even with a rebuild, this schedule was at worst 6 wins. Most people are more angry on how we look playing getting to 3-3. We can still win 3 and get to a bowl but Ark and UM have improved and are playing competitively. We are steadily getting worse each week with things like a delay of game on the first play of the game just compounding the other issues.

Thick
10-14-2019, 02:52 PM
Was, um, interesting.

I'll recap:

His parents and family support him (they were maroon in Western PA)...
His daughter cried because she heard people say her Dad sucked at coaching....
His kids go to Starkville public schools...
Can't see the forest for the trees...
Lot's of text to him this weekend about how people just don't understand the process, keep doing what you're doing (who sent those text? Other SEC coaches??). He specifically mentioned Strange Brew as one of them.
Same players that have been hurt are still hurt...
LSU is really good. Coach O one of his favorites.
Oh, he needs "the best fan base in America" to wear white this weekend.

Ended that with promptly putting a quote on Twitter about coming together and working together to be a success (or some garbage like that).

Wear white with ?We surrender? written in maroon on it!

gtowndawg
10-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Wear white with ?We surrender? written in maroon on it!

Ha. Or "Help us Rutgers, you're our only hope."

Dawg2003
10-14-2019, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry his daughter heard that. It would be tough to be a kid and hear stuff like that about your parent. That being said, it's completely unnecessary to share that in a press conference. He's either wanting sympathy or trying to make us look bad.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2019, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry his daughter heard that. It would be tough to be a kid and hear stuff like that about your parent. That being said, it's completely unnecessary to share that in a press conference. He's either wanting sympathy or trying to make us look bad.

Surprised she didn't hear something worse. We're beyond "he sucks"

HancockCountyDog
10-14-2019, 03:22 PM

I don't remember Moorhead talking rebuild before the season started.

Dental Dawg33
10-14-2019, 03:27 PM

I want to feel bad for him too in a lot of ways. But, its business. Especially in SECW D1 football making millions of $$ to coach. If you aren't getting it done, we have to find someone who can. The complete disorganization, absolute embarrassment that is our offense, late hits, trash talk after every single play, delay of games, and all other forms of undisciplined horseshit falls in his lap. I really would not ever want to intentionally hurt someones feelings over something like a football game, but if you're going to be in the limelight you better be ready to deal with the negative that comes with it.

Homedawg
10-14-2019, 03:28 PM
I don't remember Moorhead talking rebuild before the season started.

Yeah. Now it's about injuries, suspensions, not talent, yada yada yada.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Yeah. Now it's about injuries, suspensions, not talent, yada yada yada.

Yep. The good coaches never use excuses....the bad ones always have a few handy

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 03:43 PM
I forgot he talked about how small the margin of error was in the SEC yet again. And then promptly compared our 3-3 record to TAM's ... LMFAO.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Looks like he knows the break-up is inevitable.

Pollodawg
10-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Looks like he knows the break-up is inevitable.

He wants to be gone as badly as we want him gone.

Randolph Dupree
10-14-2019, 04:37 PM
I haven't heard the presser but if he said some of this stuff then I have further lost respect for him. While I do not condone fans bringing the family into it, the SEC is known for things like this. Things like For Sale signs in the yard and things like that. It's part of it. It's the reason these guys make tons of money. It's a pressure job with long hours and big reward. If someone really told his daughter that her dad sucks, that's not ok BUT it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened to an SEC coach. The fact that he brought it up in the presser along with some of the other sympathy seeking statements is BS. Dude needs to put on his big boy pants.

maroonmania
10-14-2019, 05:17 PM
That's what I'm saying. I don't think he knows what to do, I really don't. I think he's frustrated because he knows that.

Here is a start, quit ramming Kylin Hill between the Tackles when the opposition is putting 7 to 8 defenders in the box.

timotheus
10-14-2019, 06:01 PM
But that won't mesh with the JoMo system. Oh wait, yea..........The problem is how limited a football knowledge JoMo actually has. All he knows is his system that worked at fordham and saquan barkley was a beast to the point that it mattered not what play mite have been called. He talked about how much he liked to throw to the TE and have 2 QB"S on the field at the same time. Oh those days ......Joe still has no idea how to block an SEC defensive front but maybe he'll figure it out by 2023 before he and Cohen are both let go.

TUSK
10-14-2019, 08:25 PM
He’s already made a decision if he actually said his daughter was upset & crying....

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Surprised she didn't hear something worse. We're beyond "he sucks"

We are some of the nicest fans in the SEC.

Which should make Joe think.

This entire press conference just further confirms the obvious. He's not going to make it. He's a "people pleaser" by his own admission and he's bringing up things that shouldn't be brought up in a press conference I guess in an attempt to make people feel sorry for him.

Todd4State
10-14-2019, 08:34 PM
He’s already made a decision if he actually said his daughter was upset & crying....

And if he wants to please us he will leave.

bluelightstar
10-14-2019, 08:37 PM
We are some of the nicest fans in the SEC.

Which should make Joe think.

This entire press conference just further confirms the obvious. He's not going to make it. He's a "people pleaser" by his own admission and he's bringing up things that shouldn't be brought up in a press conference I guess in an attempt to make people feel sorry for him.

He sounded like a defeated man. I would be shocked to see him back next year.