PDA

View Full Version : Realistically

TheLostDawg
10-14-2019, 06:12 AM
The only way Moorhead leaves after this season is if we work something out with another program like Rutgers. Us talking about anything else just hurts recruiting. Moorhead should plan for next year by playing Schrader and give him experience for next year. He should make his offense run faster instead of having the QB check with him every play. He needs to establish discipline. If the players keep pushing and shoving after each play, pull them. We know how the egg bowl goes which is a must win now and the refs aren't going to let that stuff fly. Too bad he didn't correct any issues over the off week.

RiverCityDawg
10-14-2019, 06:25 AM
The only way Moorhead leaves after this season is if we work something out with another program like Rutgers. Us talking about anything else just hurts recruiting. Moorhead should plan for next year by playing Schrader and give him experience for next year. He should make his offense run faster instead of having the QB check with him every play. He needs to establish discipline. If the players keep pushing and shoving after each play, pull them. We know how the egg bowl goes which is a must win now and the refs aren't going to let that stuff fly. Too bad he didn't correct any issues over the off week.

I hear what you're saying, but the death spiral has begun and there's no stopping it. This thing is rotten and once it's "when" we fire him and not just "if" we fire him, it's over. It's "when" and everyone including fans, students, players and recruits can see it plain as day. The Rutgers thing would be great, but I don't think we're that lucky. It's going to have to be the hard way.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 07:29 AM
I love people with no idea about our finances, the small print in Moorhead's contract, & what is going on in Keenum & Cohen's minds, are making grand declarations that there is no way Moorhead is fired after this year.

FriarsPoint
10-14-2019, 07:39 AM
He’s got to go. You risk completely undoing almost 10 years of building in a season and a half by keeping this guy. Right back to 2008.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 07:49 AM

If we lose Ark and UM to finish the season with the team quitting on Moorhead, it is extremely risky to keep Moorhead. At that point you are probably looking at losing 50% of season ticket sales to go with 50% or less attendance for 2020. You also lose more of the marque games on campus so $9 Mil might be a lot cheaper than the lost revenue.

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 08:25 AM
If we lose Ark and UM to finish the season with the team quitting on Moorhead, it is extremely risky to keep Moorhead. At that point you are probably looking at losing 50% of season ticket sales to go with 50% or less attendance for 2020. You also lose more of the marque games on campus so $9 Mil might be a lot cheaper than the lost revenue.

If the locker room is the mess it's rumored to be then he's gone. I really think MSU and Moorhead are working together to find him another place to land as head coach or even possibly OC.

AROB44
10-14-2019, 08:36 AM
I love people with no idea about our finances, the small print in Moorhead's contract, & what is going on in Keenum & Cohen's minds, are making grand declarations that there is no way Moorhead is fired after this year.

Well, Shotgun, you are the one that keeps saying we have plenty of money. What happened?

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Well, Shotgun, you are the one that keeps saying we have plenty of money. What happened?

I do think we have plenty of money to buy him out.

In fact, considering our revenue vs expenses, I don't see how we don't

Randolph Dupree
10-14-2019, 09:03 AM

News flash, unless something changes for the better, we probably lose to UM. That and the team is already lost, not sure if it was playing Stevens over Shrader this last game or if it happened during Auburn but it has happened.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 09:05 AM

I think the bottom line that Cohen and Keenum have to consider is: What is the impact of keeping Moorhead or letting him go?

If you keep him then you believe that he can get it turned around and still not lose recruits and the fanbase. At this point, it will take beating LSU and/or Bama. If we even win the minimum by winning at Ark, Abilene, and UM, that is probably not enough to get the fanbase excited. We already had a drop in ticket sales. If you look at 50% attendance then you are looking at a big hit to MSU and Starkville Revenues.

I don't know the exact numbers but you would just look at expected Revenues - Moorhead salary or New coach expected Revenues - new coaches salary - whatever portion of Moorhead buyout.

You also might get a bump in excitement and ticket sales if you hire a new coach rather than limp to the finish line with Moorhead. You can't just look at what is in our bank account and can we afford the $3 Mil per year over the next 3 years. You also negotiate the buyout so it very well could be $9 Mil over 6 years or something like that. There is tax planning that could help Moorhead and help MSU on cash flow.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 09:06 AM
News flash, unless something changes for the better, we probably lose to UM. That and the team is already lost, not sure if it was playing Stevens over Shrader this last game or if it happened during Auburn but it has happened.

It pisses me off that UM is a lot more physical than we are. They will run it down our throats.

TrapGame
10-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Something happened. And it sure sounds like the team has revolted against Moorhead.

I wonder if we will hear a rumor about Cohen talking to the team without the coaches this week or something similar when Cann was fired.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2019, 09:41 AM
I actually wondered if Tommy Stevens was actually voted by the team as a Team Captain or if Moorhead just did it. That could be the type of thing that could break a locker room if the team really liked KT and thought he was getting screwed over.

Randolph Dupree
10-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Something happened. And it sure sounds like the team has revolted against Moorhead.

I wonder if we will hear a rumor about Cohen talking to the team without the coaches this week or something similar when Cann was fired.

Not sure about that. The thinG with the Cannizzaro situation is that all of the players, with the exception of TA were Cohen recruits and I know many of them still talked with him and continued their previous relationship. The FB team doesn't have that relationship. So while it could happen, I'm not sure it would have the same effect.

dawgday166
10-14-2019, 10:07 AM

I don't know .. I think we're reading into this more than is there. Other than perhaps Cohen called Moorhead to have a meeting with him. I'm kinda skeptical the players are up in arms towards Joe.

Or ... maybe Joe just needed some time to reflect too. I'm betting we don't hear a peep along any of these lines.

Randolph Dupree
10-14-2019, 10:09 AM
I actually wondered if Tommy Stevens was actually voted by the team as a Team Captain or if Moorhead just did it. That could be the type of thing that could break a locker room if the team really liked KT and thought he was getting screwed over.

Tommy can spin it, I don't think the Captain thing was rigged. My guess is that Stevens is scared to get hit and the team can see that. Mind you that's not something you'd see in practice or even games against lesser opponents. My though is that the AU DL is a whole other level of bad ass for anything Stevens has seen and his injuries were more mental than physical in that game. I think the team sees that, and that is the issue. Even when you're losing, or even if you suck, if you're a warrior the guys will respect you. (Think back to Fitz winning the team over after getting pounded by Bama).