PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Good Luck!

TigerMomofaDawg
10-13-2019, 05:14 PM
As a longtime user (mostly lurker) on Tigerdroppings, I never thought I'd be logging into a Mississippi State message word forum, but here I am. Five days before she was supposed to move in at LSU, our daughter informed us that her heart wasn't into going to LSU and that she wanted to attend State instead. At the time, we were shocked and saddened by her news and, honestly, did not even think it was possible for her to enroll at the 11th hour anyway. Nevertheless, we wanted to support her and knew it would be a disaster if she went to LSU and hated it. (I think LSU's big-city atmosphere/crime and the fact that she didn't know many people going there were the root of her misgivings.) Needless to say, since her very first phone call to the admissions office at State (in August), we have been overwhelmed by and fallen in love with the family atmosphere at State. Not only did they allow our daughter to enroll, but they also gave her some scholarships (5 times the amount she was getting from LSU), found her a nice dorm room, and even allowed her to go through sorority recruitment--FIVE DAYS before she ended up moving in! We'd never even been to Starkville until we went up there to help move our daughter in.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind that she made the right decision by switching to State. She is making good grades, has joined a sorority, and has even fully immersed herself in campus life by trying out for and actually making the Diamond Girls. (This is a girl who was raised on LSU football and baseball since birth and had to spend an all-nighter cramming to take a test about State baseball.). Anyway, it looks like these two Tiger parents have succeeded in raising a Dawg who now bleeds maroon and white. The people at State are truly the salt of the earth. Everyone we've met at State has been incredibly hospitable to us and has gone above and beyond to make our daughter feel welcome. She even calls State "home" now. Never in a million years could I have sen that coming!

With all that being said, don't get too discouraged with State football this season. My husband and I attended LSU in the 1990's. Those were some dark days. Truly dark. We never stopped hoping and supporting our Tigers, though. Your Dawgs need you more than ever now. Before this season started, I told my daughter that I hoped State had a great season and won all their games (except on October 19). Obviously, things aren't panning out that way. Still and all, I hope y'all are able to get a great coach and have a brighter future.

I'm not even going to lie; Saturday's game worries me a little. It has all the potential to be a trap game for my Tigers. State's team is coming off a demoralizing loss to Tennessee and has a lot to prove. My Tigers are on top of the world right now and might be getting a little overconfident. Memories of the upset against Troy State still plague me. I hope my Tigers win, but I also hope State plays well this weekend.

Anyway, baseball season is only a few months away, and it should be a great year of baseball for State! Geaux Tigers, and Hail State!

Coursesuper
10-13-2019, 05:25 PM
You need not worry, you can name your score Saturday afternoon.

msbulldog
10-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Thank you so much for such a beautiful post, welcome to your daughter and to you and your husband to our Bulldog Family!

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Great post, welcome y'all to the Bulldog Family!

Dawgology
10-13-2019, 06:10 PM
Glad she found a second home and MSU and, really, don’t worry. Our football team would struggle to beat a 6A high school football team right now. I’ve been a Bulldog fan for 25 years and have never really seen it this bad.

Maroonthirteen
10-13-2019, 06:12 PM
TL,DR

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oeSADYLqmcN5PVkf6/giphy.gif

Mobile Bay
10-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Glad to see her in a nice baseball stadium instead of a dump like Cardboard Box.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Nice post ma'am. Don't think you should lose any sleep over this coming weekend.

We might could give y'all a little bit of a tussle if we suited our ladies basketball team up to play y'all. They tough enough to play both ways too ... offense and defense. They don't miss games for hang nails and such *****

yjnkdawg
10-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Great post and I also welcome you and your family to the Bulldog Family. If somebody says something stupid, or maybe critical of LSU on your post, don't take that as being the thoughts or consensus of the Bulldog Family on here. Most of us are respectful on this board. A few on here aren't and don't seem like they can post anything unless it is negative. You and your husband love LSU, but want what is best for your daughter, and there is nothing wrong with that. Again welcome!

yjnkdawg
10-13-2019, 07:04 PM
DELETE

TigerMomofaDawg
10-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Great post and I also welcome you and your family to the Bulldog Family. If somebody says something stupid, or maybe critical of LSU on your post, don't take that as being the thoughts or consensus of the Bulldog Family on here. Most of us are respectful on this board. A few on here aren't and don't seem like they can post anything unless it is negative. You and your husband love LSU, but want what is best for your daughter, and there is nothing wrong with that. Again welcome!

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and, yes, even your good-natured ribbing. I’ve been on the TigerDroppings forums since the “As the Plains Burn” days, so a little ribbing doesn’t bother me.

I’ve also lurked here when I was trying to get Rosebowl’s scoop on Ole Miss’s corruption. It’s a good place. FWIW, I hate Ole Miss. I hope State can win the Egg Bowl, or the Rebel Black Bear Sharks will be even more insufferable than they already are.

Having been to both the Kentucky game at Davis-Wade and a fall ball game against UL at the Dude, I can say that I agree with all of you that State is a special place. My husband’s coworkers from State even gave him a cowbell. He rang it at the Kentucky game, but it is staying on the Coast this Saturday. I’m sure our dear daughter will be ringing hers, though!

99jc
10-13-2019, 07:55 PM
bet your life savings on the tigers this weekend!

yjnkdawg
10-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Thank you to everyone for your kind words and, yes, even your good-natured ribbing. I’ve been on the TigerDroppings forums since the “As the Plains Burn” days, so a little ribbing doesn’t bother me.

I’ve also lurked here when I was trying to get Rosebowl’s scoop on Ole Miss’s corruption. It’s a good place. FWIW, I hate Ole Miss. I hope State can win the Egg Bowl, or the Rebel Black Bear Sharks will be even more insufferable than they already are.

Having been to both the Kentucky game at Davis-Wade and a fall ball game against UL at the Dude, I can say that I agree with all of you that State is a special place. My husband’s coworkers from State even gave him a cowbell. He rang it at the Kentucky game, but it is staying on the Coast this Saturday. I’m sure our dear daughter will be ringing hers, though!

LOL - I don't think anybody likes Ole Miss other than OM people. My Dad actually witnessed Billy Cannon's historic Haloween punt return against OM at Tiger Stadium. He said that was something to see, but his OM friends weren't happy at all about it. One of his best friends was an OM Football booster, whose brother was one of the top OM Money football boosters. My Dad would usually get an invite to go see LSU and OM play when the game was at Tiger Stadium. Everybody should experience Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night at least once. It's a very loud and an awesome experience, but I wore a MSU cap. Not sure how it would be for somebody wearing red and blue. (lol)

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 08:23 PM
You should only worry about Saturday night if you are Tommy Turnover's Mom.

state66
10-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Beat us by 75 so we can expedite this coaching search please.

gravedigger
10-13-2019, 09:07 PM
You should only worry about Saturday night if you are Tommy Turnover's Mom.

Classy

yjnkdawg
10-13-2019, 09:14 PM
DELETE

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 11:49 PM
Thank you to everyone for your kind words and, yes, even your good-natured ribbing. I?ve been on the TigerDroppings forums since the ?As the Plains Burn? days, so a little ribbing doesn?t bother me.

I?ve also lurked here when I was trying to get Rosebowl?s scoop on Ole Miss?s corruption. It?s a good place. FWIW, I hate Ole Miss. I hope State can win the Egg Bowl, or the Rebel Black Bear Sharks will be even more insufferable than they already are.

Having been to both the Kentucky game at Davis-Wade and a fall ball game against UL at the Dude, I can say that I agree with all of you that State is a special place. My husband?s coworkers from State even gave him a cowbell. He rang it at the Kentucky game, but it is staying on the Coast this Saturday. I?m sure our dear daughter will be ringing hers, though!

My daughter in law is a tiger from a huge family of tigers from Gonzalez. I can't believe my son married outside the faith lol! She's a fine young lady though and we let her wear her gaudy purple and gold. We even let her watch the LSU/uf game with us last night! Once again welcome to the board and hope your daughter enjoys her time at OUR State!

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 11:51 PM
Classy

I don't want him to get hurt.

Reunion Dog
10-14-2019, 01:14 AM
Glad to have your family here. I grew up in Starkville, to State, then to graduate school and my 1st office in the real world was IN TIGER STADIUM! I was across the hall from Joe Dean, the great Athletic Director. Fell in love with Baton Rouge, except for the traffic. Never seen anything like it and that was back in 1988. Was listening to the LSU game last nite on ESPN radio and the sideline announcer actually said he was hit in the back with a 🔋 thrown from the Student section. I was hosting Chris Fowler, when he was just starting at ESPN and an empty bourbon bottle landed at his feet just barely missing his head. Played Miami that game and an hour before kickoff it rain 5 inches. No where for the water to go and it was ugly and an a$$ whippen. Michael Irvin was unstoppable. Mike Bianco was the catcher for the baseball team and his wife now was my student intern there. Great memories of such a great college town. Also the year of the earthquake game vs Auburn. Unbelievable atmosphere. Baton Rouge hasn't been the same since Katrina... feel free to send me a direct msg and will look forward to hosting you in my hometown Saturday. Safe travels.. and I am glad your daughter has found her place. Just hope she likes women's Basketball...

Whatweareallthinking
10-14-2019, 07:41 AM
Pics of daughter?... JK, but no seriously pics?

Welcome to the family

Apoplectic
10-14-2019, 07:53 AM
As a longtime user (mostly lurker) on Tigerdroppings, I never thought I'd be logging into a Mississippi State message word forum, but here I am. Five days before she was supposed to move in at LSU, our daughter informed us that her heart wasn't into going to LSU and that she wanted to attend State instead. At the time, we were shocked and saddened by her news and, honestly, did not even think it was possible for her to enroll at the 11th hour anyway. Nevertheless, we wanted to support her and knew it would be a disaster if she went to LSU and hated it. (I think LSU's big-city atmosphere/crime and the fact that she didn't know many people going there were the root of her misgivings.) Needless to say, since her very first phone call to the admissions office at State (in August), we have been overwhelmed by and fallen in love with the family atmosphere at State. Not only did they allow our daughter to enroll, but they also gave her some scholarships (5 times the amount she was getting from LSU), found her a nice dorm room, and even allowed her to go through sorority recruitment--FIVE DAYS before she ended up moving in! We'd never even been to Starkville until we went up there to help move our daughter in.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind that she made the right decision by switching to State. She is making good grades, has joined a sorority, and has even fully immersed herself in campus life by trying out for and actually making the Diamond Girls. (This is a girl who was raised on LSU football and baseball since birth and had to spend an all-nighter cramming to take a test about State baseball.). Anyway, it looks like these two Tiger parents have succeeded in raising a Dawg who now bleeds maroon and white. The people at State are truly the salt of the earth. Everyone we've met at State has been incredibly hospitable to us and has gone above and beyond to make our daughter feel welcome. She even calls State "home" now. Never in a million years could I have sen that coming!

With all that being said, don't get too discouraged with State football this season. My husband and I attended LSU in the 1990's. Those were some dark days. Truly dark. We never stopped hoping and supporting our Tigers, though. Your Dawgs need you more than ever now. Before this season started, I told my daughter that I hoped State had a great season and won all their games (except on October 19). Obviously, things aren't panning out that way. Still and all, I hope y'all are able to get a great coach and have a brighter future.

I'm not even going to lie; Saturday's game worries me a little. It has all the potential to be a trap game for my Tigers. State's team is coming off a demoralizing loss to Tennessee and has a lot to prove. My Tigers are on top of the world right now and might be getting a little overconfident. Memories of the upset against Troy State still plague me. I hope my Tigers win, but I also hope State plays well this weekend.

Anyway, baseball season is only a few months away, and it should be a great year of baseball for State! Geaux Tigers, and Hail State!

tldr

TigerMomofaDawg
10-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Glad to have your family here. I grew up in Starkville, to State, then to graduate school and my 1st office in the real world was IN TIGER STADIUM! I was across the hall from Joe Dean, the great Athletic Director. Fell in love with Baton Rouge, except for the traffic. Never seen anything like it and that was back in 1988. Was listening to the LSU game last nite on ESPN radio and the sideline announcer actually said he was hit in the back with a 🔋 thrown from the Student section. I was hosting Chris Fowler, when he was just starting at ESPN and an empty bourbon bottle landed at his feet just barely missing his head. Played Miami that game and an hour before kickoff it rain 5 inches. No where for the water to go and it was ugly and an a$$ whippen. Michael Irvin was unstoppable. Mike Bianco was the catcher for the baseball team and his wife now was my student intern there. Great memories of such a great college town. Also the year of the earthquake game vs Auburn. Unbelievable atmosphere. Baton Rouge hasn't been the same since Katrina... feel free to send me a direct msg and will look forward to hosting you in my hometown Saturday. Safe travels.. and I am glad your daughter has found her place. Just hope she likes women's Basketball...

Wow! That's quite a pedigree you've got.

I agree that Baton Rouge hasn't been the same since Katrina. I used to feel relatively safe in the city (taking reasonable precautions), and the campus was like an oasis amidst some very high-crime areas (state streets and presidents). Sadly, that is no longer the case. When my daughter was still planning to go to LSU, I bought her a flashlight taser to hold while walking around LSU at night. (Another LSU parent recommended it after her daughter was almost abducted--and that taser saved her daughter.). I think all that was just a little too much for our daughter, who is girl from a small coastal town in MS and who attended really small private high school. Nevertheless, I feel way more at ease knowing that she's in Starkville rather than BR. Starkville's violent crime rate is 1/3 that of BR, according to the FBI's stats. But I digress.

I am looking forward to a fun Saturday in Starkvegas! Several LSU family members and friends are coming in for the game, and my daughter will be the lone State fan in our family. I'm hoping to get there early enough to get a parking spot across from sorority row. That is one thing State definitely does better than LSU--parking and traffic.

As for basketball, my daughter isn't the biggest basketball fan, but my niece is. She went to a basketball camp at State and loved it. She's currently playing for McNeese's basketball team.

As for the pic request of my daughter--that's not happening. If you've been to the fall baseball games, you've probably already seen her. She's smart and beautiful, though. (Of course, as her mom, I'm not biased at all***.) She'll also be in the Diamond Girls calendar this year.

Y'all have really made me feel like I am at home. From the pic requests to the "TLDR" comments, I feel like I am back on the Tigerdroppings message board.

msbulldog
10-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Y'all have really made me feel like I am at home. From the pic requests to the "TLDR" comments, I feel like I am back on the Tigerdroppings message board.

LOL