PDA

View Full Version : Wolken Nails It - Most Disappointing Program in the SEC Right Now

bluelightstar
10-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Mississippi State: Joe Moorhead got the job at Mississippi State despite no real ties in the Southeast because athletics director John Cohen wanted someone who was cerebral and innovative offensively, two traits that served Dan Mullen well there even though he was a bit of an odd cultural fit having grown up in New Hampshire. But even though their resumes may be similar, nobody would confuse the quality of football being produced by those two coaches. Whereas Mullen consistently beat expectations in Starkville, Moorhead inherited a program loaded with talent and has gone 11-8 with it (the record dips to 6-8 when you just consider Power Five opponents). The low point came Saturday when the Bulldogs lost to Tennessee, 20-10, giving the Vols -- who had only beaten Chattanooga this year -- their first SEC victory. (As an aside, Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt was a finalist for the Mississippi State job when Moorhead got it.) Under Moorhead, Mississippi State just doesn?t seem to have any real purpose or identity on offense. Nick Fitzgerald was an established successful starting quarterback in the SEC but took a step backward in Moorhead?s system. This year, the Bulldogs were supposed to thrive with Penn State transfer Tommy Stevens, who transferred in already knowing the system. Instead, Stevens has been banged up and freshman Garrett Shrader has been more effective with his ability to run. The Bulldogs went back and forth between the two against the Vols and it was a mess offensively. Fans already kind of knew this before Saturday, but losing to Tennessee made it official: This is the most disappointing program in the SEC right now.

By the way, I'm getting the sense that the media folks are blaming Joe for this debacle. Not as much of the "well, what do you expect at Mississippi State" stuff as we saw a decade ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/10/13/college-football-nebraska-cant-live-up-scott-frosts-own-words/3969147002/

ZedFedder
10-13-2019, 03:07 PM
And a lot of the media was blaming it on the suspensions but you can’t even do that with this loss since they played. The fact that he just stands over there not doing anything doesn’t help either.

maroonmania
By the way, I'm getting the sense that the media folks are blaming Joe for this debacle. Not as much of the "well, what do you expect at Mississippi State" stuff as we saw a decade ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/10/13/college-football-nebraska-cant-live-up-scott-frosts-own-words/3969147002/

On the field the team looks lost, undisciplined and unproductive while off the field we have suspensions and go on probation under Moorhead's watch. Really don't see how the past 2 seasons could have gone any worse than they have even if we were purposely trying to sabotage the program.

BayouDawg
Im starting to wonder if the university is using the media to prepare the public for us pulling the trigger. Fox and now USA Today has called out Moorhead. Makes one think.

Cooterpoot
10-13-2019, 03:11 PM
And the pay sites are blasting him too. It’s a good idea.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Good stuff by Wolken.

Believe it or not, the media actually has expectations for us now & that's a good thing.

Let's make a change before we go all the way down again

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Im starting to wonder if the university is using the media to prepare the public for us pulling the trigger. Fox and now USA Today has called out Moorhead. Makes one think.

Possibly.

If you're going to call it quits after year 2, then this is a good way to advertise the atrocity of Moorhead so that know one bitches when we fire him

Additionally, Wolken was one of the ones saying how Moorhead was such a great hire 2 years ago.

It's become so obvious that people that loved the Moorhead hire now realize it was a lost cause

R2Dawg
10-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Agree it is refreshing that is appears that way which is true. Posted same thing on another thread with respect to media take on us. We are not a team at all just a bunch of guys running around.

One other thing missing from Joe is fighting for his team. I never see him stand up to officials on bad calls or anything. Players see that and respond when they see their leader fighting for his team.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 03:16 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards cutting bait now and making Shoop interim. Wouldn't expect Shoop to be miracle worker but maybe he'd toughen us up some. Moorhead ain't gonna change his cavalier attitude towards toughness.

bobtail bob
10-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Sloppy Jo don?t coach toughness because it?s hard, it?s dirty, it?s the bad part. Lazy people hate that kind of stuff. I bet he?s the last one in the office every day

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Sloppy Jo don?t coach toughness because it?s hard, it?s dirty, it?s the bad part. Lazy people hate that kind of stuff. I bet he?s the last one in the office every day

He's no longer "Sloppy Joe"

He's now "Crappy Joe"

Really Clark?
10-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Agree it is refreshing that is appears that way which is true. Posted same thing on another thread with respect to media take on us. We are not a team at all just a bunch of guys running around.

One other thing missing from Joe is fighting for his team. I never see him stand up to officials on bad calls or anything. Players see that and respond when they see their leader fighting for his team.

I’ve definitely been vocal about Moorehead and concerned since last year. Posted about it. But he has stood up on bad calls and was ready to stuff that assistant after last years EB up Bjork’s rear until it no longer tickled. And he did get an unsportsmanlike a few weeks ago questioning a call. So as much as I have been ready to cut bait, I can’t agree that he doesn’t stand up on bad calls.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Good stuff by Wolken.

Believe it or not, the media actually has expectations for us now & that's a good thing.

Let's make a change before we go all the way down again

This. We have to make a change barring some miracles down the stretch. We can't have the 2001-2008 debacle again.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2019, 03:55 PM
This. We have to make a change barring some miracles down the stretch. We can't have the 2001-2008 debacle again.

We are angry today which is good. I feel like next year with Joe will just be apathy.

Dawgology
10-13-2019, 03:57 PM

What concerns me is we still have some “fans” that would be ok with that. I think it comes from growing up in a generation when State rarely won anything

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 04:03 PM
What concerns me is we still have some ?fans? that would be ok with that. I think it comes from growing up in a generation when State rarely won anything

Agreed. Keeping people that are ineffective is a recipe for disaster. Many businesses have failed for this very reason. Best to go ahead and cut bait while there's still something to salvage.

BuckyIsAB****
10-13-2019, 04:08 PM
We are angry today which is good. I feel like next year with Joe will just be apathy.

There has been apathy with him. There was apathy at every home game this year. I went to the UK game and it just isnt the same atmosphere. Moorhead has sucked the life out of the fanbase. It just doesnt feel the same its not electric. The A word is the most deadly word in sports, once it sets in it is only a matter of time before in implodes the program. It is time. Forget the you cant get rid of a guy in 2 years crap. We are going to have to win differently here. Adapt or die. It is time in november barring a miraculous turnaround. 6-6 and winning the egg and the bowl would be the only possible shot at him staying. And we would have to look much much improved to get me to sign off on it even then.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 04:17 PM
There has been apathy with him. There was apathy at every home game this year. I went to the UK game and it just isnt the same atmosphere. Moorhead has sucked the life out of the fanbase. It just doesnt feel the same its not electric. The A word is the most deadly word in sports, once it sets in it is only a matter of time before in implodes the program. It is time. Forget the you cant get rid of a guy in 2 years crap. We are going to have to win differently here. Adapt or die. It is time in november barring a miraculous turnaround. 6-6 and winning the egg and the bowl would be the only possible shot at him staying. And we would have to look much much improved to get me to sign off on it even then.

You nailed it. Right there with you.

TrapGame
10-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Every article blaming Joe for this shit show lays the ground work for firing this season. It could be our people pushing it but it could be it's so obvious now we don't have to. I really wouldn't be surprised after Saturday if Joe and MSU are working on a way for him to land another coaching job saving him and the university face.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Very plausible. Even more telling to me is when David Murray and Rosebowl are calling Moorhead's decisions out on their postgame video. They're much closer to our fans than someone like a Wolken is and therefore they get their marching orders more directly from the general.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards cutting bait now and making Shoop interim. Wouldn't expect Shoop to be miracle worker but maybe he'd toughen us up some. Moorhead ain't gonna change his cavalier attitude towards toughness.

That may be for the best. My "fear" is that he starts Shrader the rest of the year and we beat Arkansas, win homecoming, and win the Egg Bowl to get to six. That may be enough to keep him around- but we all know the reality is the discipline issues and etc. aren't going to get any better and it's only really a matter of time before the bottom falls out. Probably in 2020 in this case. I personally don't think winning six is going to drum him up enough support to keep him around but Egg Bowl wins tend to heal wounds. I would probably go ahead and pull the trigger after Alabama personally. It's likely to be an ugly performance at home and it prevents him from pulling a Dan 2013.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Every article blaming Joe for this shit show lays the ground work for firing this season. It could be our people pushing it but it could be it's so obvious now we don't have to. I really wouldn't be surprised after Saturday if Joe and MSU are working on a way for him to land another coaching job saving him and the university face.

I think this is highly likely. It could also potentially lessen how much money we owe him in the end.

biggun
10-13-2019, 04:51 PM
But will Cohen actually admit he screwed the pooch this early??? I don’t see it happening. I see the Joe disaster continuing for another year

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 04:53 PM
But will Cohen actually admit he screwed the pooch this early??? I don’t see it happening. I see the Joe disaster continuing for another year

Admit it? I don't need an "I'm sorry" press conference from him. It's not like he ran over Bully.

The thing is if he doesn't make a change his ass could be out the door too. That usually makes people swallow their pride really quickly.

TrapGame
10-13-2019, 04:58 PM

His boss knows he screwed the pooch. And a lot of big money alums know it too. Cohen may be on the outside looking in very soon.

Bothrops
10-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Cohen isn't the kind of dude that likes to be made a fool.

R2Dawg
10-13-2019, 05:19 PM
I?ve definitely been vocal about Moorehead and concerned since last year. Posted about it. But he has stood up on bad calls and was ready to stuff that assistant after last years EB up Bjork?s rear until it no longer tickled. And he did get an unsportsmanlike a few weeks ago questioning a call. So as much as I have been ready to cut bait, I can?t agree that he doesn?t stand up on bad calls.

The egg bowl thing caught him by surprise and he didn't realize Olemiss was as bad as they were. I've not seen him have any passion on the sidelines. He got the call on him at Aub the other day because he is so passive. Refs knew he wouldn't do anything so he got one for basically nothing. He just stood there and took their pathetic response. His team watches that and loses any fight they have if the head guy will not fight.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Cohen isn't the kind of dude that likes to be made a fool.

I bet he's the kind of dude that like to have a job.

was21
10-13-2019, 05:39 PM
What Cohen possibly missed was the fact that Urban Meyer was Mullen's mentor since even before Meyer was a head coach and stuck with him for the duration. Moorhead didn't have a mentor like that...huge difference

msbulldog
10-13-2019, 05:53 PM
Possibly.

If you're going to call it quits after year 2, then this is a good way to advertise the atrocity of Moorhead so that know one bitches when we fire him

Additionally, Wolken was one of the ones saying how Moorhead was such a great hire 2 years ago.

It's become so obvious that people that loved the Moorhead hire now realize it was a lost cause

Dan Wolken was Phat Phil's mouthpiece when Fulmer engineered his takeover of the TN AD job from Currie.

msbulldog
10-13-2019, 05:59 PM
I?ve definitely been vocal about Moorehead and concerned since last year. Posted about it. But he has stood up on bad calls and was ready to stuff that assistant after last years EB up Bjork?s rear until it no longer tickled. And he did get an unsportsmanlike a few weeks ago questioning a call. So as much as I have been ready to cut bait, I can?t agree that he doesn?t stand up on bad calls.

Agree Clark!

timotheus
10-13-2019, 06:01 PM
I'm with Todd on this. Cohen needs to consider how much he truly enjoys his AD position in Starkville. I am about 50/50 right now saying that we only defeat AC the rest of this year and begin searching for a new HC.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm with Todd on this. Cohen needs to consider how much he truly enjoys his AD position in Starkville. I am about 50/50 right now saying that we only defeat AC the rest of this year and begin searching for a new HC.

4-8 probably increases if he starts Tommy Turnover. Honestly, it really could go either way with Joe at this point as far as 4-8 vs. 6-6. I'd have to say 4-8 is more likely based on Joe's track record.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2019, 06:17 PM

What other school would look at the last year and a half and say, "You know, that's just the kind of fit we need here at our program."?

Coursesuper
10-13-2019, 06:25 PM
4-8 probably increases if he starts Tommy Turnover. Honestly, it really could go either way with Joe at this point as far as 4-8 vs. 6-6. I'd have to say 4-8 is more likely based on Joe's track record.

Todd I'd have to say that whoever starts at QB is irrelevant at this point, we do not have one position group that is capable of making plays as part of a unit. It's as plain as the nose on ones face, this is not a team, this is a group of individuals that happen to be wearing the same uniforms and are at sometimes capable of lining up on the same side of the ball. The loafing, dives, arm tackles, shat talking and lookout blocks are everywhere. This is going to a point where they will out and out quit. 4-8 is the way this ends with an ass whipping on thanksgiving night on our grass.

timotheus
10-13-2019, 06:51 PM
And that is the way Joe coaches guys. No continuity in the least. I truly hope the folks who can influence this situation are really immersed and organized. In one more year we will be looking up at the Hogs and the Sharks...........

timotheus
10-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Stevens can't think fast enuf to play against an SEC front 7. end of story

Pollodawg
10-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Admit it? I don't need an "I'm sorry" press conference from him. It's not like he ran over Bully.

The thing is if he doesn't make a change his ass could be out the door too. That usually makes people swallow their pride really quickly.

This. I don’t need contrition and trembling. I just need what’s best for the football program.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Very plausible. Even more telling to me is when David Murray and Rosebowl are calling Moorhead's decisions out on their postgame video. They're much closer to our fans than someone like a Wolken is and therefore they get their marching orders more directly from the general.

That may be for the best. My "fear" is that he starts Shrader the rest of the year and we beat Arkansas, win homecoming, and win the Egg Bowl to get to six. That may be enough to keep him around- but we all know the reality is the discipline issues and etc. aren't going to get any better and it's only really a matter of time before the bottom falls out.

Yea ... bout the only way I would consider keeping him is if we beat LSU, TAM, and Bama - all three plus Arky & OM. Then maybe I'll believe he may be changing some of his philosophies on toughness.

TrapGame
10-13-2019, 07:43 PM
What other school would look at the last year and a half and say, "You know, that's just the kind of fit we need here at our program."?

University of South Central Louisiana.

Dawg_Lover
10-13-2019, 08:10 PM
What concerns me is we still have some ?fans? that would be ok with that. I think it comes from growing up in a generation when State rarely won anything

I?m from an older generation, late 60s were my college years to be exact, and I am definitely not happy with the situation today. Back in the day, it was even worse .... no more fun then than now.
A wise man said leadership without courage is a farce. The question is will the leadership have the courage to make the tough decisions? Otherwise, we?re following the definition of insanity ..... doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
If they choose to allow status quo to continue beyond this season, the vacuum created by those exiting the building, so to speak, could make the walls cave in.