PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State fans are in a predicament....

BogeyGolfer
10-13-2019, 01:54 PM
We all want success in the form of wins on the football field but at the same time it is painfully obvious Joe will never get it done here. I would never pull against us but at the same time, I think we have to make a change at the end of the season in order to help preserve the program. To be honest, you could have taken three random posters off of this board to call offensive plays last year with the defense we had and probably have won 7-8 games. We also have to recognize that we lost a top 5 coach in Mullen and in order to get that type of leadership back, it will take a commitment of at least 4-6 million to the new coach plus we will need to pay for quality assistants....I do think that Joe will get a third year, but I do not agree with it and it will hurt us in the long run.

bobtail bob
10-13-2019, 02:17 PM
If Sloppy is given another year we will flounder at least a decade trying to recover again. It?s already an embarrassment,it?s time to end it

timotheus
10-13-2019, 02:25 PM
The results next year will be the same minus the tutor gate deal. The guy has no clue what an SEC D looked like and has no means of adapting other than to just "do what he does" but that doesn't work against physical D's. This is very embarrassing when Matt Luke is marginally better than sloppy Joe.

R2Dawg
10-13-2019, 02:25 PM
If Sloppy is given another year we will flounder at least a decade trying to recover again. It?s already an embarrassment,it?s time to end it

Hire the wrong guy to replace and it will go on another 5-8 years because anyone that comes in now will be given 4-5 years guaranteed due to probation limitations. That might be one reason we have to ride Joe out at least one more year. That is why the Croom hire was so dangerous. He came in with probation among other things so he was granted 4=5 years regardless. It was a bad hire and our program took about 7-8 years to recover. The next hire has to be a home run, can't screw up the next one.

timotheus
10-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Let Joe continue and we won't have anything but 2* and 3* signees. Kids see through this garbage.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2019, 02:48 PM
That's why you go ahead and fire him. That way we can continue to pull for our team but you don't have to worry about him squeaking out a 6th win and making it look bad on us. Fire him now while everybody will agree it is time, then if we manage 6 wins with an interim, it's just a sign of the heart of our players and will make the job more attractive.

msugolf
10-13-2019, 03:27 PM
I feel bad for JoMo. Even more so now that his end is evident even though I knew the hire wasn't right last year. But he seems like a good guy and very likable. I'm sure he wants to win more than anyone of us and I can't think of what it feels to be going through something like this (though making millions of dollars helps). But it still sucks to be in the spotlight and hearing all the things people are saying about you.

Now Cohen, don't feel sorry for that guy at all. He's just an ass. Hope he bears the brunt of this.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 03:38 PM
That's why you go ahead and fire him. That way we can continue to pull for our team but you don't have to worry about him squeaking out a 6th win and making it look bad on us. Fire him now while everybody will agree it is time, then if we manage 6 wins with an interim, it's just a sign of the heart of our players and will make the job more attractive.

This is what strong leadership does.

MaroonFlounder
10-13-2019, 03:42 PM
And what if we end up with a head coach and staff that doesn't recruit worth a shit?

Are the X and O's gonna be good enough to offset the lack of "Jimmy's and Joe's"?

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 03:43 PM
And what if we end up with a head coach and staff that doesn't recruit worth a shit?

Are the X and O's gonna be good enough to offset the lack of "Jimmy's and Joe's"?

Coaching is ALWAYS the #1 priority.

Recruits with bad coaching doesn't get you anywhere

MaroonFlounder
10-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Coaching is ALWAYS the #1 priority.

Recruits with bad coaching doesn't get you anywhere

You guys act like it will be like flipping a switch and we'll instantly be competitive with upper echelon of the SEC again.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 03:51 PM
You guys act like it will be like flipping a switch and we'll instantly be competitive with upper echelon of the SEC again.

Nooo .. we want the recovery to start now, as opposed to depleting all talent over 2 or 3 years then starting the recovery. We also want a HC in place ASAP after end of season to try and salvage or re-recruit to some extent.

MaroonFlounder
10-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Nooo .. we want the recovery to start now, as opposed to depleting all talent over 2 or 3 years then starting the recovery. We also want a HC in place ASAP after end of season to try and salvage or re-recruit to some extent.

That's not always how it works. We ain't Bama.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Who said that?

I think the right coach gets us back to 8-4 fairly quickly

TaleofTwoDogs
10-13-2019, 04:02 PM
I feel bad for JoMo. Even more so now that his end is evident even though I knew the hire wasn't right last year. But he seems like a good guy and very likable. I'm sure he wants to win more than anyone of us and I can't think of what it feels to be going through something like this (though making millions of dollars helps). But it still sucks to be in the spotlight and hearing all the things people are saying about you.

Now Cohen, don't feel sorry for that guy at all. He's just an ass. Hope he bears the brunt of this.

I agree but think about this tidbit: you mentioned his millions (which is $4M per some sports media sites) that means his semi-monthly pay check is $167,000. That's more than most of us make in a year and he makes this twice a month. Professionally it will hurt the ego but from a financial side he will probably be smiling as he drives the U-haul down the road.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 04:05 PM
That's not always how it works. We ain't Bama.

I know this and so do most others. But what we got is below sucking and you gotta roll the dice and hope a good hire is made to stop our descension into and to start bringing us out of the gutter. We in the gutter now, but 2 or 3 more years and we'll be at the bottom of the ocean. Most, including me, just expect to be disciplined, competitive and win 7-9 most years. We don't expect Bama results.

DownwardDawg
10-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Who said that?

You are exactly right. And people need to realize that we can hire a much better coach than Mullen was when we hired him. A really good coach would have went 7-5 in 2009. Not 5-7. Mullen’s offense with Relf would have beaten LSU and Houston. Mullen decided to use him the last game of the year.
My point is that there are a LOT of coaches out there better than Moorehead and as good or better than Mullen that would jump all over our job. Coaches are arrogant. They all think they are better and smarter than the other guy.

BuckyIsAB****
10-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Agreed. I have defended him and even said dont hop back on the train when it is rolling. It is off the tracks and its time to tear them up. He has changed the culture in the program to something we are not. We have lost our identity. MSU will never, ever out smart or out cerebral its way in football. We are going to have to do things differently here to compete with the big boys. It is time. I like him, he is genuine and a good guy. A quality recruiter, but Barkley and playing Rutgers, Indiana and Illinois gave us false advertising.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Exactly. Although we'll probably have to wait a few more weeks just to make sure things are in place- it can take time for the wheels to move. Ideally to me it would be a mutual decision where he just leaves after the season no matter what. We could both just agree that it's just not a fit for either one and we'll help each other move on.

Part of hiring coaches is making sure that they are competent in recruiting. Honestly, we probably should try to hire someone that has G5 coaching experience this time around so that there is less guessing about what we are getting.

msbulldog
10-13-2019, 05:14 PM
At the present time Joe should ask Shoop to give him an objective analysis of his offences strengths and weaknesses. Ask Shoop what he needs to do to confound opposition defenses. Shoop, I believe is one of the best in the business and I think he can help Joe if asked.

Lord McBuckethead
10-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Who said that?

Maybe just letting the coordinators do their job and limit Moorhead to being an actual head coach without play calling duties may be enough of a change to build some momentum that gets our goals back on track.

Lord McBuckethead
10-13-2019, 05:17 PM
At the present time Joe should ask Shoop to give him an objective analysis of his offences strengths and weaknesses. Ask Shoop what he needs to do to confound opposition defenses. Shoop, I believe is one of the best in the business and I think he can help Joe if asked.

I am sure they already have those conversations.

msbulldog
10-13-2019, 05:32 PM
I am sure they already have those conversations.

Are you sure? Joe seems awful prideful and stubborn.