PDA

View Full Version : Devil?s Advocate: Shrader looked way too hurt to play yesterday

dantheman4248
10-13-2019, 10:29 AM
I keep seeing Joe criticized for starting Stevens over Shrader when it was abundantly clear when Shrader came on the field that he was hobbled. Had everyone checked out by then (understandable) or are we woefully ignorant of that.

This is not an excuse for the pathetic performance the offense had on the field the first half. I don?t understand the play calls (especially run designs, the east-west, ninety degrees counter veer option look has to go) when Tommy is in. There are a few pass designs where you can see things open up, but they are few and far between while also no rhythm is established from call to call. It?s like every play is it?s own separate entity irrespective of one another to Moorhead. If he gave someone else the keys to playcalling and cut out the reading of the defense to find the 50 yd TD on 3rd & 2 with 6 blocking 6 and needing perfect blocks to last 4 seconds to make the throw from the perfect spot then a lot of our offensive woes would go away imo. As for the lack of discipline and seemingly heart, that?s yet another reason he shouldn?t be coach.

But is it really fair to chastise not playing Shrader? He looked at most 70% out there yesterday. Keytaon isn?t playing a down so that crowd can move on. 70% Shrader is better than Stevens in this offense sure, but how many of you would have not given it to Tommy for Shrader?s self preservation?

MarketingBully
10-13-2019, 10:34 AM
I keep seeing Joe criticized for starting Stevens over Shrader when it was abundantly clear when Shrader came on the field that he was hobbled. Had everyone checked out by then (understandable) or are we woefully ignorant of that.

This is not an excuse for the pathetic performance the offense had on the field the first half. I don?t understand the play calls (especially run designs, the east-west, ninety degrees counter veer option look has to go) when Tommy is in. There are a few pass designs where you can see things open up, but they are few and far between while also no rhythm is established from call to call. It?s like every play is it?s own separate entity irrespective of one another to Moorhead. If he gave someone else the keys to playcalling and cut out the reading of the defense to find the 50 yd TD on 3rd & 2 with 6 blocking 6 and needing perfect blocks to last 4 seconds to make the throw from the perfect spot then a lot of our offensive woes would go away imo. As for the lack of discipline and seemingly heart, that?s yet another reason he shouldn?t be coach.

But is it really fair to chastise not playing Shrader? He looked at most 70% out there yesterday. Keytaon isn?t playing a down so that crowd can move on. 70% Shrader is better than Stevens in this offense sure, but how many of you would have not given it to Tommy for Shrader?s self preservation?

He outplayed Stevens in the second half. He looked fine to me when I saw Shrader out there. As Coach said, Shrader had one sack given up and Stevens had six sacks on him. He averaged almost six yards a carry and his passing looked fine.

dantheman4248
10-13-2019, 10:37 AM
He outplayed Stevens in the second half. He looked fine to me when I saw Shrader out there. As Coach said, Shrader had one sack given up and Stevens had six sacks on him. He averaged almost six yards a carry and his passing looked fine.

Did you read the last paragraph or did you just quote and restate an obvious fact

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 12:41 PM
I just think that Joe feel into the trap of I want Stevens to be the QB for whatever reason. That also logically explains why he stayed in the game way too long as well even though it was obvious the offense wasn’t doing anything with him at QB after two drives.

Playing favorites like that can’t happen at MSU for us to reach our ceiling. We have to have a coach that can separate personal from performance. I don’t buy at all that Stevens looked better in practice for one minute and even if he did you don’t stay with him for a half like that.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 12:54 PM
From Garrett himself: He's not hurt. It's looking like joe used Garrett's "injury" as an excuse to start his boy tommy.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 12:59 PM
From Garrett himself: He's not hurt. It's looking like joe used Garrett's "injury" as an excuse to start his boy tommy.

Really this is the only logical thing that happened unless Garrett kicked a tree and hurt his foot or something between Auburn and Tennessee.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Really this is the only logical thing that happened unless Garrett kicked a tree and hurt his foot or something between Auburn and Tennessee.

He had a very minor foot injury but it was nothing. It was used as an excuse to start tommy. When I heard this last night it pissed me off even more. Unbelievable!

Bothrops
10-13-2019, 01:05 PM
FWIW Shrader did not look 100% running the ball yesterday.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 01:34 PM
FWIW Shrader did not look 100% running the ball yesterday.

Still better than Stevens.

dantheman4248
10-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Still better than Stevens.

That’s not up for debate.

The question is, should he have been out there for his own health.

As for a football player saying he’s good to play, they are the last person to listen to if you care about their long term health. Players wanna play. It was clear as day he was not himself on his first run up the middle (that we still got the first down because no one can stop that play.)

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 01:43 PM
That’s not up for debate.

The question is, should he have been out there for his own health.

As for a football player saying he’s good to play, they are the last person to listen to if you care about their long term health. Players wanna play. It was clear as day he was not himself on his first run up the middle (that we still got the first down because no one can stop that play.)

Not sure why this is up for debate? He finished the Auburn game and to me he didn’t look like any injury affected his game too negatively to where playing him was detrimental.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Here's the deal it's halfway through the season no player is 100% healthy. It's football you get nicked up it happens. Are you hurt are are you injured? Garrett was hurt not injured . You play when you're hurting. Big difference between being hurt and being injured.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Not sure why this is up for debate? He finished the Auburn game and to me he didn?t look like any injury affected his game too negatively to where playing him was detrimental.

Right. Minor foot injury. Garrett said he played with way worse in hs.

timotheus
10-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Good thing Garret had the instincts to run or we wouldn't have gotten past 125 yds total offense. Joe didn't know UT was weak against the run so he tried to play his video game offense. He'll be gone after next season, unless he tanks the rest of this season which is very possible.