PDA

View Full Version : Do embattled coaches like this ever turn it around?

Quaoarsking
10-12-2019, 09:14 PM
So Joe Moorhead has very, very low approval among the Mississippi State fanbase right now. How often do coaches in this situation actually turn it around?

I mean, there were some of our fans who wanted Mullen gone after 2013, but it was a clear minority, nothing like this. I'm struggling to think of an example of a coach this far gone to turn it around and be good again. Maybe Richt or Les at their old jobs, but I don't think either of them had lost the fanbase this much when they were fired.

I actually left this up on my screen for 30 minutes to try to think of a coach who got "one more year" and actually did something with it and got the fanbase onboard again. The only one I could think of was maybe Frank Beamer, decades ago at Virginia Tech before anyone cared about that program anyway.

Let's skip that pointless "one extra year" with Joe.

CovertDawg
10-12-2019, 09:41 PM
I think the average D1 Head coach tenure is 3.8 years so it rarely happens. Mark Stoops is probably the best example. Mike Leach was terrible his first three years at Washington State. But those are two places with less modern day success than MSU so not sure either one was truly embattled. Happens in basketball all the time but it only takes a player or two to make a huge difference. Coach K famously thought he was gone after year three at Duke.

Quaoarsking
10-12-2019, 10:04 PM
I think the average D1 Head coach tenure is 3.8 years so it rarely happens. Mark Stoops is probably the best example. Mike Leach was terrible his first three years a Washington State. But those are two places with less modern day success than MSU so not sure either one was truly embattled. Happens in basketball all the time but it only takes a player or two to make a huge difference. Coach K famously thought he was gone after year three at Duke.

I don't think the Kentucky fanbase ever wanted Stoops gone like this though. He has improved or maintained every year (well, except this one), so they've had some hope of getting better.

Leach may be a good example, but even after his 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 start, he was a good bit better than his predecessor. I'm not sure how that fanbase felt, if he ever lost them like Joe has lost ours. I suspect it probably wasn't this bad.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 10:06 PM
The only ones that have really turned it around did so at another job after being fired.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 10:30 PM
They do. Mullen did. JWS did. Both did it HERE. It can happen. Not saying it will at all.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 10:37 PM
They do. Mullen did. JWS did. Both did it HERE. It can happen. Not saying it will at all.

huh?

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Maybe Dabo at Clemson?

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Not at the very beginning of their careers.

Really Clark?
10-12-2019, 10:42 PM

I agree somewhat with Jackie, he was close to being fired. Mullen was never as embattled as either Jackie or Joe nor did he have close to program wide issues. There was a minority disgruntled and rumbles in 2012-13 but even most of them was on the fence to how we played out 2013 and the team didn’t quit. Settled down most at that point

Dawg61
10-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Jim Tressel was 7-5 his first year with Ohio State. Then he went 14-0 his second year and won the National Championship but knowing OSU fans there was probably a decent amount of them that wanted him fired after that first year.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Not at the very beginning of their careers.

Pretty close actually, and both before their best runs here. I ain't defending Joe today but we are one win shy of where I thought we would be today, and that win isn't today's game. I tried to tell y'all. I said 7-5 with a better shot at 6-6 than 8-4. Today was my swing game for 6-6 and 7-5 after we lost to KSU. NOW that being said, it's an uphill battle to get to 6-6, and I won't be thrilled with that.

Turfdawg67
10-12-2019, 10:50 PM
If we showed at least an iota of progress I'd still be defending Joe. But there is NONE. He is way in over his head! Let's cut bait now!

Turfdawg67
10-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Pretty close actually, and both before their best runs here. I ain't defending Joe today but we are one win shy of where I thought we would be today, and that win isn't today's game. I tried to tell y'all. I said 7-5 with a better shot at 6-6 than 8-4. Today was my swing game for 6-6 and 7-5 after we lost to KSU. NOW that being said, it's an uphill battle to get to 6-6, and I won't be thrilled with that.

Ok but we've lost 2 of those "wins". So we aren't where we should be now.

Dawg61
10-12-2019, 10:57 PM
If we showed at least an iota of progress I'd still be defending Joe. But there is NONE. He is way in over his head! Let's cut bait now!

If his offense didn't suck and if he'd actually believed in Keytaon instead of never giving him a chance I wouldn't want him fired yet either.

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Last year's D was a 13 win D. It was hands down the best in the country. 13 games worth.

Last year's O won 9 games in 2017. Why was it suddenly a 6 win offense? What changed?

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Ok but we've lost 2 of those "wins". So we aren't where we should be now.

Only one actually. I always thought we would lose at UT.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
10-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Maybe Dabo at Clemson?

Malzahn should be considered. He’s been on the hot seat it seems like every other year

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Last year's D was a 13 win D. It was hands down the best in the country. 13 games worth.

Last year's O won 9 games in 2017. Why was it suddenly a 6 win offense? What changed?

10 win D. D doesn't win 13and never will. You know that. Our offense was on demensiional last year. Without that D we might have won 6, maybe.

Todd4State

Our fans will give coaches more of a pass for proven success.

Jackie went 7-5 in years 1-2 and beat people like Texas, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, and had us very competitive with Tennessee and Alabama. Yes, 93 was a three win team but 94 we won 8 games. Not to mention what he did at Texas A&M and Pittsburgh giving him more of a track record of success.

Dan won 9 games in year two and beat Georgia and Florida.

Both coaches basically had unanimous support in years 1-2. Joe lost a lot of his after a month.

Coach34
Only one actually. I always thought we would lose at UT.

You are a bold faced liar. In no way did you think we would lose to the team that Georgia State and BYU beat at home. You still remain the worst poster on the board- even worse than Troll007

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Malzahn should be considered. He’s been on the hot seat it seems like every other year

Auburn's gonna Auburn. You can win 15 games there and still be on the hot seat.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Not really, the Aubies are more insane than we are.

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:08 PM
10 win D. D doesn't win 13and never will. You know that. Our offense was on demensiional last year. Without that D we might have won 6, maybe.

How did our one-dimensional O win 9 in 2017 with younger guys with less experience?

dawgday166

He had taken them to Natty final in 2013 plus everyone concedes to Bama since 2011/12.

Todd4State
How did our one-dimensional O win 9 in 2017 with younger guys with less experience?

Lining up correctly was a good start in 2017.

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Lining up correctly was a good start in 2017.

Liverpool isnt making sense. How did a team win 9 games in 2017 and then return 17 starters- get worse in 2018? It wasnt a 6 win offense in 2017- so why was it a 6 win offense in 2018 with 8 starters returning?

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Liverpool isnt making sense. How did a team win 9 games in 2017 and then return 17 starters- get worse in 2018? It wasnt a 6 win offense in 2017- so why was it a 6 win offense in 2018 with 8 starters returning?

He really wants to defend Joe soooo bad but even he can't totally type it out.

Even he knows how ridiculous defending Joe is at this point.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:13 PM
You are a bold faced liar. In no way did you think we would lose to the team that Georgia State and BYU beat at home. You still remain the worst poster on the board- even worse than Troll007

Beginnng of the year coach, beginning of the year. Don't accuse me of lying. I posted my 7-5 at the beginning of the season. Y'all all laughed at me for being to pessimistic. It turns out I was less wildly optimistic than most here. Going in I expected to lose this one and to beat KSU. I agree going into today after the way things shook out. We in no way should have lost this game. It's why I ain't defending Joe. Today was inexcusable. Once agin you prove what you are. Congratulations.

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Once agin you prove what you are. Congratulations.

No- Ive proved yet again who you are- a moron. Our offense wasnt a 6 win offense in 2017, it won 9- then returned 8 starters in 2018. You are just spouting bullshit to defend ********. We in no way had a 6 win offense in 2018. And we had a championship D. 8-5 was completely underachieving

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:18 PM

It didn't get worse, it was about the same. The bowl matchup was worse last year. The regular season was the same total. Lol at you coach. Have a beer, at home though please. I am. I'm always up for that. Cheers!

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:19 PM
No- Ive proved yet again who you are- a moron. Our offense wasnt a 6 win offense in 2017, it won 9- then returned 8 starters in 2018. You are just spouting bullshit to defend ********. We in no way had a 6 win offense in 2018. And we had a championship D. 8-5 was completely underachieving

Ok man, you wiin

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:23 PM
It didn't get worse, it was about the same. The bowl matchup was worse last year. !

A) You said it was a 6 win offense- thats a lie.

B) 2017 offense- 41st in scoring...2018? 68th. 2017 Total O? 46th....2018 was 71st

No- it was not close. and 2018 should have been better with 8 starters returning and more depth.

You remain an idiot

dawgday166
10-12-2019, 11:23 PM
It didn't get worse, it was about the same. The bowl matchup was worse last year. The regular season was the same total. Lol at you coach. Have a beer, at home though please. I am. I'm always up for that. Cheers!

You do realize that most teams loaded with Jrs and few seniors usually make a pretty good jump the next year if they return the QB and win 9 to 10 games don't you? The difference was the coaching change.

Now I also believe that you take our fantastic we-are-MSU history into account but ... that was in no way only an 8 win team last year except due to poor transition with coaching and overall piss poor offensive coaching. Hell, even with the sorry ass offensive coaching we were a Mitchell catch against FL and a Guidry catch against Iowa from being a 10 win team.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:26 PM
He really wants to defend Joe soooo bad but even he can't totally type it out.

Even he knows how ridiculous defending Joe is at this point.

I don't want to defend Joe. My mind was made up today. I seem to remember you issuing a huge apology today. I didn't have to. I have been on the fence this year, and have posted very little this season actually till this thread. Go back and look. I wont blast the guy because he is at MSU. No need to make things worse. What needs to be done will be done, when it can be done. No need to make it worse than it has to be.

Dawg61
10-12-2019, 11:30 PM
Probably can add Kevin Sumlin's name to the list. He's beating Washington right now on FS1. If he wins Arizona is 5-1.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:32 PM
A) You said it was a 6 win offense- thats a lie.

B) 2017 offense- 41st in scoring...2018? 68th. 2017 Total O? 46th....2018 was 71st

No- it was not close. and 2018 should have been better with 8 starters returning and more depth.

You remain an idiot

Whatever, "Coach". You ain't going to beat good defenses with the passing game we had last year, and we didn't. We did have a decent running game because of Fitz. That was good enough to do what we did. I was on Fitz as much as anyone because of his passing, but the guy could run the ball. If we had him this year, we still have this years D. The funny thing is, I haven't even replied to your Sunday morning stuff the last few games because I agree with it. I'm not blinded by names. I'll tell you this, you ain't gonna Stansbury Joe, it beyond you already. :;

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:37 PM
You do realize that most teams loaded with Jrs and few seniors usually make a pretty good jump the next year if they return the QB and win 9 to 10 games don't you? The difference was the coaching change.

Now I also believe that you take our fantastic we-are-MSU history into account but ... that was in no way only an 8 win team last year except due to poor transition with coaching and overall piss poor offensive coaching. Hell, even with the sorry ass offensive coaching we were a Mitchell catch against FL and a Guidry catch against Iowa from being a 10 win team.

Different coach and different scheme. Had Mullen still been our coach last year, we win at least 9. More likely 10. It is what it is. Y'all, and 34 was very much into this whatever he will say , thought we needed to move on from Mullen. When we were forced to, y'all wanted the new guy to run what Mullen did. It doesn't work like that. I think what Joe says he wants to do is the future, now can he actually do it? Well......

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Whatever, "Coach". You ain't going to beat good defenses with the passing game we had last year, and we didn't. We did have a decent running game because of Fitz. That was good enough to do what we did. I was on Fitz as much as anyone because of his passing, but the guy could run the ball. If we had him this year, we still have this years D. The funny thing is, I haven't even replied to your Sunday morning stuff the last few games because I agree with it. I'm not blinded by names. I'll tell you this, you ain't gonna Stansbury Joe, it beyond you already. :;

His point, which is a fair one, is that one dimensional offense you talk about last year actually demonstrated the year before that it could be effective.

We should have won ten games minimally last year. We are worse this year offensively than we were last year, but you don?t have Fitz to kick around anymore. I suggest you look at the confused-looking guy on the sideline with the headset and the crazy eyebrow.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Better at being one dimensional due to the QB. . You claim to be a coach, that should be obvious.

dawgday166
10-12-2019, 11:41 PM
Different coach and different scheme. Had Mullen still been our coach last year, we win at least 9. More likely 10. It is what it is. Y'all, and 34 was very much into this whatever he will say , thought we needed to move on from Mullen. When we were forced to, y'all wanted the new guy to run what Mullen did. It doesn't work like that. I think what Joe says he wants to do is the future, now can he actually do it? Well......

FWIW ... I thought we should move on from Mullen in 2016. Not after 2017. I knew we were poised to do something special the next year and knew a coaching change would keep us from it. However ... I did buy into Joe even tho when I saw stats of PSU against good Ds his numbers were low. But I too wanted to believe and thought our guys could do it.

With Mullen I think we win minimum of 11 ... only if he ain't shopping himself at end of season tho.

ETA: If Aeris starts last year I believe you would've seen more TAM like games and no LSU and Bama type games.

BhamDawg205
10-12-2019, 11:42 PM
If his offense didn't suck and if he'd actually believed in Keytaon instead of never giving him a chance I wouldn't want him fired yet either.

Agree with you... But I think he handled the Aries and Hill situation wrong. Aries was the complete back, actually passed blocked. Hill should have been the change of pace back. And this year still thinks starting Guidry at WR is a good idea. Jo speaks pretty words, but his actions says something else.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:45 PM
His point, which is a fair one, is that one dimensional offense you talk about last year actually demonstrated the year before that it could be effective.

We should have won ten games minimally last year. We are worse this year offensively than we were last year, but you don?t have Fitz to kick around anymore. I suggest you look at the confused-looking guy on the sideline with the headset and the crazy eyebrow.

Exactly my man, we don't have Fitz to kick around anymore, and I did my share of it. He couldn't pass, but he could run the heck out of the football. If you are going to be one dimensional, do it well.

BhamDawg205
10-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Malzahn should be considered. He?s been on the hot seat it seems like every other year

I thought the same thing, but Auburn's fans are crazy. His overall record ain't bad and worst season was 7-6. I do think some years he under achieves with the talent he recruits.

Coach34
10-12-2019, 11:47 PM

He is a moron- he wont understand it even tho you just delivered it to him as if he was 5 years old

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:52 PM
FWIW ... I thought we should move on from Mullen in 2016. Not after 2017. I knew we were poised to do something special the next year and knew a coaching change would keep us from it. However ... I did buy into Joe even tho when I saw stats of PSU against good Ds his numbers were low. But I too wanted to believe and thought our guys could do it.

With Mullen I think we win minimum of 11 ... only if he ain't shopping himself at end of season tho.

ETA: If Aeris starts last year I believe you would've seen more TAM like games and no LSU and Bama type games.

We weren't going to win 11 without a decent deep passing game. What we would have done with Mullen last year would have been what you saw in the LSU-UF game tonight, at best. I would take that in a heartbeat. UF has the best D in the SEC but they are limited at QB. They have better receivers than we did last year but QB play still limits them. If he ever gets a QB that can throw the deep ball at UF he wins the Natty. Their average talent base is way ahead of ours. If they give him time it happens eventually.

bobtail bob
10-12-2019, 11:54 PM

Amen

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 11:54 PM
He is a moron- he wont understand it even tho you just delivered it to him as if he was 5 years old

You win, oh most high coach. How many championships have programs you have been involved with won again by the way?

Quaoarsking
10-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Malzahn's definitely not an example. While his seat has gotten warmer from time to time, he's never lost the fanbase to the level Joe has, not even close really.

Dabo might be an example. There were people calling for his head after losing the bowl in Year 3, and even after Year 4 when West Virginia put up 70 on them in the Orange Bowl:

Year
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Bowl/playoffs
Coaches#
AP-

Clemson Tigers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_Tigers_football) (Atlantic Coast Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference)) (2008-present)

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
4-3[A 1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabo_Swinney#cite_note-57)
3-2
T-3rd (Atlantic)
L Gator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Gator_Bowl)

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
9-5
6-2
1st (Atlantic)
W Music City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Music_City_Bowl)

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
6-7
4-4
T-4th (Atlantic)
L Meineke Car Care (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Meineke_Car_Care_Bowl)

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
10-4
6-2
1st (Atlantic)
L Orange (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Orange_Bowl)-

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
11-2
7-1
T-1st (Atlantic)
W Chick-fil-A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Chick-fil-A_Bowl)

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
11-2
7-1
2nd (Atlantic)
W Orange (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Orange_Bowl_(January))-

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
10-3
6-2
2nd (Atlantic)
W Russell Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Russell_Athletic_Bowl)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
14-1
8-0
1st (Atlantic)
W Orange (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Orange_Bowl)-, L CFP NCG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_College_Football_Playoff_National_Championshi p)-

2016 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
14-1
7-1
T-1st (Atlantic)
W Fiesta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Fiesta_Bowl_(December))-, W CFP NCG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_College_Football_Playoff_National_Championshi p)-

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
12-2
7-1
1st (Atlantic)
L Sugar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Sugar_Bowl)-

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
15-0
8-0
1st (Atlantic)
W Cotton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Cotton_Bowl_Classic)-, W CFP NCG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_College_Football_Playoff_National_Championshi p)-

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Clemson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Clemson_Tigers_football_team)
6-0
4-0

Clemson:
122-30
72-16

Another possible example would actually be Steve Spurrier, who had a scorching seat after losing to Connecticut to end year 5, and then had three top 10 finishes later:

South Carolina Gamecocks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football) (Southeastern Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Conference)) (2005-2015)

2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
7-5
5-3
T-2nd (Eastern)
L Independence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Independence_Bowl)

2006 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
8-5
3-5
5th (Eastern)
W Liberty (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Liberty_Bowl)

2007 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
6-6
3-5
T-4th (Eastern)

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
7-6
4-4
T-3rd (Eastern)
L Outback (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Outback_Bowl)

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
7-6
3-5
T-4th (Eastern)
L PapaJohns.com (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_PapaJohns.com_Bowl)

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
9-5
5-3
1st (Eastern)
L Chick-fil-A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chick-fil-A_Bowl)

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
11-2
6-2
2nd (Eastern)
W Capital One (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Capital_One_Bowl)

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
11-2
6-2
3rd (Eastern)
W Outback (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Outback_Bowl)

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
11-2
6-2
2nd (Eastern)
W Capital One (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Capital_One_Bowl)

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
7-6
3-5
T-4th (Eastern)
W Independence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Independence_Bowl)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
South Carolina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team)
2-4
0-4
[note 4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Spurrier#cite_note-2015season-146)

However, I don't think Dabo or Spurrier lost their fanbases to extent Joe has, unless someone has some evidence otherwise. And even if they did, they would be rare exceptions. I just don't see any way Joe is going to be a rare exception.

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 12:03 AM
We weren't going to win 11 without a decent deep passing game. What we would have done with Mullen last year would have been what you saw in the LSU-UF game tonight, at best. I would take that in a heartbeat. UF has the best D in the SEC but they are limited at QB. They have better receivers than we did last year but QB play still limits them. If he ever gets a QB that can throw the deep ball at UF he wins the Natty. Their average talent base is way ahead of ours. If they give him time it happens eventually.

We would've had a decent deep passing game cause Mullen sets those up extremely well when he also has a team that can run it down your throat. And there isn't a Dline we faced last year we wouldn't have been able to do that against. And Fitz can hit them, maybe not at a 75% clip but he can and would certainly make a D stay awake for it. He scorched LSU in 2017. He scorched TAM last year. Trask ain't as good as Fitz ... yet. Fitz would've progressed under Mullen.

ETA: Getting killed plus very undependable receivers plu Joe plus our fanbase being all over him I think hurt his confidence some in the later season tough games against LSU & Bama. Mullen knows how to take care of his QB ... stage right - Trask.

Once again .. Having Aeris help protect his blindside and getting more than about 1.5 secs to throw the ball helped a lot against TAM. That matters a lot to a QB.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2019, 12:06 AM
We would've had a decent deep passing game cause Mullen sets those up extremely well when he also has a team that can run it down your throat. And there isn't a Dline we faced last year we wouldn't have been able to do that against. And Fitz can hit them, maybe not at a 75% clip but he can and would certainly make a D stay awake for it. He scorched LSU in 2017. He scorched TAM last year. Trask ain't as good as Fitz ... yet. Fitz would've progressed under Mullen.

Did you ever actually watch Fitz throw the deep ball against decent Defense. A&M last year .........I loved the guy, he gave his heart, soul, and leg to MSU, but facts are facts. He was what he was by his last year.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2019, 12:10 AM
Last year is a moot point. Y'all can't seem to let it go. I loved last year, 8-4 with the Confederate bastards being one of the 8 is fine by me. I ain't arguing with you this year. If we can afford it and things continue like they look like they will........I hope we can afford it. 34 and I in another thread agree on that topic, and I wish we didn't,

dawgday166
10-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Did you ever actually watch Fitz throw the deep ball against decent Defense. A&M last year .........I loved the guy, he gave his heart, soul, and leg to MSU, but facts are facts. He was what he was by his last year.

He hit Osiris right in the hands against FL. I've seen him throw some good ones but he has slung some out of bounds or over their head too. He is better on the intermediate passes but he can hit the deep ones some ... but he misses too.

#1 rule of QB - Don't beat your team.
#2 rule - make most of plays you should make.
#3 rule - make the great plays every so often.

But you win with rules 1 & 2 - Per Jimmy Johnson. Look how far Dak progressed between Jr & Sr year with Mullen.

ETA: He had bad Jr games against Ga & AU in 2017, both at their place. There wasn't a D in the league last year as stout as those 2 Ds were.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2019, 12:20 AM
He hit Osiris right in the hands against FL. I've seen him throw some good ones but he has slung some out of bounds or over their head too. He is better on the intermediate passes but he can hit the deep ones some ... but he misses too.

#1 rule of QB - Don't beat your team.
#2 rule - make most of plays you should make.
#3 rule - make the great plays every so often.

But you win with rules 1 & 2 - Per Jimmy Johnson. Look how far Dak progressed between Jr & Sr year with Mullen.

ETA: He had bad Jr games against Ga & AU in 2017, both at their place. There wasn't a D in the league last year as stout as those 2 Ds were.

Is Jimmy Johnson still coaching at a high level in college or even in high school? Things have changed. If you want confirmation, look at Alabama and Saban. They are radically different than they were even two years ago. That didn't happen by chance.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2019, 12:22 AM
Is Jimmy Johnson still coaching at a high level in college or even in high school? Things have changed. If you want confirmation, look at Alabama and Saban. They are radically different than they were even two years ago. That didn't happen by chance.

Heck look at LSU THIS year. That change is astounding.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Personally I hate it. I like defense, running the damn ball, and good old fashioned SEC slobber knockers. I like nothing better than seeing a well oiled wishbone shoving it down some team's throat who knows what's coming and still cain't stop it offense. It was beautiful. It's also a dinosaur. The RPO with the legitimate deep ball threat is where it's at now. I hate it. Joe has the right idea, the implementation of that idea .......so far......sucks.

dawgs
10-13-2019, 02:10 AM
Y'all, Moorhead lost the fanbase today. You don't come back from that. Gus, Dabo, leech, mark stoops, etc. never lost the fanbase. There might have been grumbling and they might've lost factions of the fanbase at some point, but they didn't fully lose the fanbase like Moorhead did today.

Todd4State
10-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Y'all, Moorhead lost the fanbase today. You don't come back from that. Gus, Dabo, leech, mark stoops, etc. never lost the fanbase. There might have been grumbling and they might've lost factions of the fanbase at some point, but they didn't fully lose the fanbase like Moorhead did today.

Which makes starting Stevens even more stupid. He was already on the brink with most people and today was a must win. Complete and absolute fail. As I said earlier I didn't give Dan a pass for not playing the best players and I sure as hell won't give Joe one either.

Shrader is literally going to have to carry us to 6-6 this year. Assuming Joe from Pittsburgh actually lets him start.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
10-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Auburn's gonna Auburn. You can win 15 games there and still be on the hot seat.

Not really, the Aubies are more insane than we are.
Both true. It?s like they play with Monopoly money

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
10-13-2019, 11:04 PM
He had taken them to Natty final in 2013 plus everyone concedes to Bama since 2011/12.
Wasn?t he the OC back then