PDA

View Full Version : Before We Hire Our Next Coach...

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Keenum and Cohen need to go sit down Barry Alvarez and seek out how Wisconsin has managed to keep virtually the same culture and identity across multiple coaching staffs.

We must properly identify what our culture must be and stick to it. Mullen made it difficult because he didn't develop a replacement in 9 years, but Mullen's offensive style and culture fit us.

We must identify the traits needed in the program to make this replicable with new hires.

I don't EVER want to see MSU stray this far from our culture ever again. We must figure how to make that happen.

We must stop chasing after the shiny new toy and stick to what we know works.

DownwardDawg
10-12-2019, 06:15 PM
And we need an offense much like Wisconsin or the Auburn power run spread they ran more of a few years back. We need to be a physical running team that plays tough D with a physical nasty disposition. That’s who we are. We look lost right now and soft.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 06:17 PM
And we need an offense much like Wisconsin or the Auburn power run spread they ran more of a few years back. We need to be a physical running team that plays tough D with a physical nasty disposition. That’s who we are. We look lost right now and soft.

Agree 100%

Cohen tried to re-invent a wheel with Moorhead that didn't need to be re-invented.

Cooterpoot
10-12-2019, 06:19 PM
We don’t have to be a power running team.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2019, 06:48 PM

You can't win big with that offense anymore. Even SABAN switched.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 06:53 PM
You can't win big with that offense anymore. Even SABAN switched.

Saban changed for recruiting purposes , not because he couldn't win with his other offense.

We have to run what we can recruit not what we want to recruit.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Brett Bielema is available. That's who we are after all

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Brett Bielema is available. That's who we are after all

Too much like Joe personality wise. He's a goon

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Too much like Joe personality wise. He's a goon

Literally came from Wisconsin.

sleepy dawg
10-12-2019, 07:07 PM
we Don't have to pick our identity. We could run the rpo if we had a great coach and the players to do it. We just don't have a great coach. We don't even have a good coach.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Keenum and Cohen need to go sit down Barry Alvarez and seek out how Wisconsin has managed to keep virtually the same culture and identity across multiple coaching staffs.

We must properly identify what our culture must be and stick to it. Mullen made it difficult because he didn't develop a replacement in 9 years, but Mullen's offensive style and culture fit us.

We must identify the traits needed in the program to make this replicable with new hires.

I don't EVER want to see MSU stray this far from our culture ever again. We must figure how to make that happen.

We must stop chasing after the shiny new toy and stick to what we know works.

So have you changed your mind on this? because when we hired Moorhead you were very adamant that we'd never take the "next step" with a Mullen style O, that we had to have a vertical passing game to have a shot to beat the elites.

So do you no longer think we need a higher powered o to take the next step, or do you no longer think the next step is risk worth pursuing? I'm in that 2nd camp. I think the risk of tanking your program looking for the flashy coach that can beat bama is to great and we should stick to 8-10 win seasons with physical running football that MS has the kids for

Dawgpile
10-12-2019, 07:13 PM
We just need a good coach that can adjust scheme to fit the personnel available, instead of trying to force round pegs into square holes.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 07:19 PM
So have you changed your mind on this? because when we hired Moorhead you were very adamant that we'd never take the "next step" with a Mullen style O, that we had to have a vertical passing game to have a shot to beat the elites.

So do you no longer think we need a higher powered o to take the next step, or do you no longer think the next step is risk worth pursuing? I'm in that 2nd camp. I think the risk of tanking your program looking for the flashy coach that can beat bama is to great and we should stick to 8-10 win seasons with physical running football that MS has the kids for

Good points.

I may have gone overboard with the "stick with what works"

Moorhead just isn't a good coach, so it probably would not have mattered what he ran.

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 07:21 PM
We just need a good coach that can adjust scheme to fit the personnel available, instead of trying to force round pegs into square holes.

Exactly.

But with Moorhead I think the problem is deeper than that. I don't think he demands the precision and execution to the point that he thinks he does.

I mean- we had two penalties because we snapped the ball before our receivers were set. That has nothing to do with being run or pass heavy. That's fundamental junior high football 101.

The truth is we can be whatever we want to be- run heavy, balanced, and yes- even pass heavy. You can't tell me that Ole Miss, USM, and Memphis can have functional passing attacks and we can't when we're all in the same backyard. But whatever we are or whatever our coach wants us to be we have to fundamentally sound with that. We can't just roll off the bus and half ass it and look confused the entire time.

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Good points.

I may have gone overboard with the "stick with what works"

Moorhead just isn't a good coach, so it probably would not have mattered what he ran.

Yeah. We're actually running/passing at about the same clip as we were under Dan. But the fundamentals are very lacking across the board under Joe.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 07:23 PM
The problem with Moorhead is that the players don't believe him. Work backwards from as to how that happened

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 07:29 PM
The problem with Moorhead is that the players don't believe him. Work backwards from as to how that happened

I think they "believe him" but they just aren't being held to a high enough standard by Joe. From my observation in game they're allowed to make penalties, they're allowed to line up incorrectly, and etc. without being punished. So even though I'm not at practice it stands to reason based on what I have observed they are probably also "allowed" to run poor routes, not wrap up on defense, not block at running back, and etc.

So when they attempt to execute plays it doesn't work as well for us because the other team is more fundamentally sound than we are and thus we get beat or don't play up to our potential.