PDA

View Full Version : Hire Pete Golding from Alabama

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Let him bring in Will Hall from Tulane as OC. Keep Tony Hughes at all costs. Bring in a S&C guy from Alabama. Hiring Golding would bring in a Mississippi guy and Alabama DC have a good track record in the SEC from the Saban tree. Use some Saban/Smart recruiting tactics to up our recruiting game.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:05 PM
NO. Here's why:

1) This "Saban tree" obsession is unfounded. Kirby is elite, but Pruitt? What about McElwain at UF? Kiffin is like .500 at a G5 since Saban supposedly taught him the trade secrets. I'm sure there's some good points a smart coach can take away from working with him, but there's no much evidence that it does much overall. Mediocre coaches will still be mediocre

2) Golding hasn't done ANYTHING to indicate he's HC material, or that he's ready if he is. He was a young coach that had a good D as a DC at a G5, Saban snatched him up but only made him co DC because Saban didn't trust him to right the ship. Now he's the full time DC and honestly? A. This isn't a particularly great Bama D, and B. even if it was they have 5* talent everywhere. Pruitt was a good DC there.

3) There's a reason we wanted to hire an offensive guy. Every D needs to be able to defend against anything from a spread to a triple option, so the personnel transfers to different DCs. But O is MUCH more finicky, meaning that only about 1/4 good OC's would even work here if we could get them. Also, OC's get poached a lot to be G5 HC's and we'll never have the money to go get our top choices.

No, the next HC needs to be an offensive guy. Not call plays per se, but be involved in it and competent enough to where a bad OC hire won't cause it to fall apart. Most of all though he needs be more of a CEO than Joe is

BuckyIsAB****
10-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Let him bring in Will Hall from Tulane as OC. Keep Tony Hughes at all costs. Bring in a S&C guy from Alabama. Hiring Golding would bring in a Mississippi guy and Alabama DC have a good track record in the SEC from the Saban tree. Use some Saban/Smart recruiting tactics to up our recruiting game.

We would kill it in recruiting in MS. He turned down the OM DC job last year though. I would be down for this after this year to see what Bama's D looks like against an elite offense but he is a good guy and a good coach. Will Hall is too. He is a MS guy and would recruit well. I just dont know if either have paid enough dues to get the shot though. It would be a ballsy move but both of them can coach. Golding is a pattern match 3-4 zone blitz guy and Will Hall will pound the rock so it fits who we are

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:09 PM
We would kill it in recruiting in MS. He turned down the OM DC job last year though. I would be down for this after this year to see what Bama's D looks like against an elite offense but he is a good guy and a good coach. Will Hall is too. He is a MS guy and would recruit well. I just dont know if either have paid enough dues to get the shot though. It would be a ballsy move but both of them can coach. Golding is a pattern match 3-4 zone blitz guy and Will Hall will pound the rock so it fits who we are

I mean yeah Joe needs to go, but we can at least acknowledge his recruiting has been good right? so why does him being a "MS guy" matter if that's not necessarily to recruiting well? I mean if he's been in MS for 10 years and has relationships with the HS coaches I could see that being an advantage, but he hasn't coached in state in a while so I doubt he has many connections

dawgday166
10-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Bama's D sucks this year. Refs REALLY gonna have to up their game to get Bama to CFP this year, although there aren't a ton of top tier teams this year anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
10-12-2019, 05:12 PM
I mean yeah Joe needs to go, but we can at least acknowledge his recruiting has been good right? so why does him being a "MS guy" matter if that's not necessarily to recruiting well? I mean if he's been in MS for 10 years and has relationships with the HS coaches I could see that being an advantage, but he hasn't coached in state in a while so I doubt he has many connections

He has great relationships in this state. Both of them are well liked and well respected

Quaoarsking
10-12-2019, 05:19 PM
NO. Here's why:

1) This "Saban tree" obsession is unfounded. Kirby is elite, but Pruitt? What about McElwain at UF? Kiffin is like .500 at a G5 since Saban supposedly taught him the trade secrets. I'm sure there's some good points a smart coach can take away from working with him, but there's no much evidence that it does much overall. Mediocre coaches will still be mediocre

McE went 22-12 (16-8 SEC) with 2 division titles at Florida and was successful at Colorado State before that, and now he's gotten Central Michigan likely headed back to a bowl and competitive with the likes of Miami a year after they went 1-11.

Maybe a name for Cohen to keep in the back of his mind.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:20 PM
He has great relationships in this state. Both of them are well liked and well respected

What does that mean though? what % of HS's in MS would their names get us in the door with but say, Napier's name not? And the well liked and respectable part isn't unique to MS guys

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:28 PM
McE went 22-12 (16-8 SEC) with 2 division titles at Florida and was successful at Colorado State before that, and now he's gotten Central Michigan likely headed back to a bowl and competitive with the likes of Miami a year after they went 1-11.

Maybe a name for Cohen to keep in the back of his mind.

Oh my lord no, he won with an incredibly weak East schedule and the team was obviously going down under him. S&C was non-existent. Mullen's UF team would scull drag him, and he wouldn't have the East titles if Kirby's UGA was there then. And CMU? they're 3-3 with a loss to Western Michigan. let's cool it with hyping that up

Cooterpoot
10-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Hell no!

Cooterpoot
10-12-2019, 05:31 PM

His recruiting from a talent standpoint isn’t better than Mullen.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:34 PM
His recruiting from a talent standpoint isn’t better than Mullen.

I think it's more balanced in looking ahead to our future needs. But I'm also an idiot.

Side note, I think this years' class is way overrated by our fans... there's a lot of guys who don't scream SEC players to me, and the studs are likely to get flipped late

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 05:41 PM
I think more than anything the Mississippi connections are more for repairing the fan base than recruiting. A lot of our fans just aren’t relating to smart guys from Pennsylvania.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 05:53 PM
I think more than anything the Mississippi connections are more for repairing the fan base than recruiting. A lot of our fans just aren’t relating to smart guys from Pennsylvania.

Moorhead had massive fan support from day 1 though. As soon as we read his resume, heard him tell Fitz to learn his ring size, and hand out fries late at night to fans, he had 95% of us onboard. Te last 5% had questions about recruiting. I don't think MS toes really matter much to our fans

RocketDawg
10-12-2019, 06:17 PM

If that's true then we don't have a very smart fanbase.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Stop chasing shiny toys.

Seriously, Golding isn't the guy