PDA

View Full Version : Now that almost everyone is on the same page about Moorhead...

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Let's be completely honest with ourselves. Barring a 3-9/4-8 meltdown with a blowout by Northern Miss in the Battle for the Golden Egg, we're stuck with him another year. In my mind, there's two reasons for this:

1) Cohen is very invested in this hire succeeding. He can't be seen as having screwed up a major sports hire this badly after the Meathead disaster. Fair or not, that's just how it is. Cohen has tied himself to Moorhead for now. Lots of us were against Cohen as AD and now we're starting to see some of the reasons why. If Cohen has to fire Moorhead after just 2 seasons, he puts himself directly in the line of fire. He should be there, but that's a separate issue.

2) We are MSU. We don't proactively fire coaches. I wish we had the balls to do it, but we don't. We hang onto coaches a year too long, let them make a bigger mess, and make it much harder for the next guy to succeed. Moorhead has killed MSU football culture in just 1.5 years, but he'll have another 1.5 to bury it in the deepest pit he can find. But if we extend him after this season, Cohen should be fired immediately. Paying off 2 years of a coach who's clearly not the guy is easier than 3 years, especially for a school like MSU.

It sucks, but we're stuck with this clown for at least another year, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Todd4State
10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
The thing about Cohen that he has on his side is:

1. He's a MSU guy. That probably will give him a little more of a pass.

2. He has a lot of important MSU people on his side. People that don't want their boat rocked.

I know it's not as big of a deal as football but Stricklin stayed on after Rick Ray. He just wasn't allowed to make the next hire. I could see that potentially happening again.

I don't think Cohen would extend him after this year regardless.

IMissJack
10-12-2019, 03:31 PM

2. He has a lot of important MSU people on his side. People that don't want their boat rocked.

I know it's not as big of a deal as football but Stricklin stayed on after Rick Ray. He just wasn't allowed to make the next hire. I could see that potentially happening again.

I'm not with you on number 1. I used to feel that way, but it is just too much bad publicity and money for the university to just say he's an MSU guy any more.

BeardoMSU
10-12-2019, 03:31 PM

How much can we really blame Cohen for this shit show, tho? Everyone in football said Joe was a homerun hire.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2019, 03:33 PM
How much can we really blame Cohen for this shit show, tho? Everyone in football said Joe was a homerun hire.

Yeah I agree with this. He was the top assistant in the country and had been successful everywhere he'd been. There was no way to foresee him being this bad.

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2019, 03:34 PM

And this is actually a fair point worth discussing. I think the bigger problem from a Cohen POV is that his second choice was Pruitt. That doesn't say much for his evaluation skills, imo.

Cooterpoot
10-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Everyone didn?t say that. Cohen listened to the wrong people. And Moorhead is toast. Barring some upsets, he?s done. We aren?t winning another conference game IMO. This is a 4 win year, 5 max. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch this shit show. Former players close to the program are raising hell. It?s over.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2019, 03:37 PM

This. Everyone who knows about the business said Moorhead was a solid hire. Everyone. He was the next big thing. He was ready to take us higher.

It flopped. He made the right decision with the information at hand. It blew up. That's not Cohen's fault. Just because some think he should have made a different hire doesn't mean he made the wrong hire at the time.

Moorhead was qualified, had the references, had the experience, and seemingly had the magic sauce we could use to get to the next level. And everything prior to the hire supported that. But it didn't work out. People are mad I get it. But seriously folks. Cohen isn't to blame. He isn't to blame for Cann either. How the hell could he have predicted that situation would happen?

You blame AD's for not making the correct choice when it becomes obvious something is wrong. Moorhead was the correct choice. It now seems wrong. You don't fire him now though. Do it at the end of the year.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Everyone didn’t say that. Cohen listened to the wrong people.

Who are the wrong people?

Cooterpoot
10-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Who are the wrong people?

You’ll have to ask him. He spent no time on a search. Made a quick hire that left most people asking “who”. He didn’t go through the normal hiring process.

maroonmania
10-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Cohen now has 2 disasters, Moorhead and Cannizaro. Both were thought to be good at the time but both looks like both are really bad.

Lord McBuckethead
10-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Everyone didn?t say that. Cohen listened to the wrong people. And Moorhead is toast. Barring some upsets, he?s done. We aren?t winning another conference game IMO. This is a 4 win year, 5 max. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch this shit show. Former players close to the program are raising hell. It?s over.

It may be, but until them I am pulling for him to right the ship.

basedog
10-12-2019, 04:34 PM
And this is actually a fair point worth discussing. I think the bigger problem from a Cohen POV is that his second choice was Pruitt. That doesn't say much for his evaluation skills, imo.

Pruitt was given the first interview, Cohen kicked him to the curb quickly.

dawgday166
10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Cohen now has 2 disasters, Moorhead and Cannizaro. Both were thought to be good at the time but both looks like both are really bad.

Cann probably wasn't bad ... let his d*** run his brain tho. Maybe Cohen needs to slip some blonde beauty some $$$ to entice Joe ... get MSU out of that buyout *******

Coursesuper
10-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Most of this you typed about Cohen is complete horse shit. He is as much of the problem as the hire he made and he cares way more about JC than MSU.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 04:45 PM
You’ll have to ask him. He spent no time on a search. Made a quick hire that left most people asking “who”. He didn’t go through the normal hiring process.

1) the search was fast because Cohen had a list of guys ready to call, and with the early signing period every day of no coach = easier for recruits to be poached.

2) the fact most of us don't know the names of the top OC's in football doesn't mean those OC's are all bad hires. Seriously though, who's the best OC in the Big 12? Shit, most of us can only name about 5 DCs in the entire country

3) Cohen did interview multiple candidates. Not sure what you consider to be a "normal" hiring process, but again due to the early signing period we couldn't exactly take our time with it.

Saltydog
10-12-2019, 04:45 PM
And yet that dumbass squarely kicked our ass today. Ironic isn't it?

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Pruitt was given the first interview, Cohen kicked him to the curb quickly.

What makes you say that? ED heard he was interviewed and so assumed he was a top candidate, but for all we know there would have been 10 other people hired before him. And "second choice" isn't exactly accurate, there were people he wanted ahead of both Moorhead and Pruitt. For example he called OSU's then OC, but Day said no (probably because he knew he'd be OSU's HC soon)

BeardoMSU
10-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Yeah, they did. Sorry he didn't check with you, but people almost across the board praised the hire. Tge only downsides I remember people wondering about was regarding his recruiting, which hasn't been the issue, but rather our offensive guru turned out to be an offensive goon.

BeardoMSU
10-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Jesus, lol....you couldn't be more wrong.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2019, 04:51 PM

The people that said that were idiots though. We hired a type B, uncle buck as our head coach. It was an awful personality fit

Irondawg
10-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Wonder how different this would all be if we had been able to land Day.

We probably should have made him say no to a bunch of money although Urban may have privately told him to wait a year or two and he'd get OSU job

MetEdDawg
10-12-2019, 04:57 PM
The people that said that were idiots though. We hired a type B, uncle buck as our head coach. It was an awful personality fit

Can you name those idiots specifically?