PDA

View Full Version : Three pitchers to watch out for- MSU baseball

Todd4State
10-11-2019, 12:49 AM
Mostly because they are new faces:

Carlisle Koestler. He's a SIXTH year senior who got a medical redshirt and was in Southeast Louisiana's rotation when healthy. Grad transfer. He could be this year's Peyton Plumlee or JP France. He could be our midweek guy, our Sunday starter if Eric Cerentola isn't able to take the mantle or our relief ace.

Houston Harding. He's a JUCO pitcher from Itawamba CC and has been pitching well in scrimmages. He's up for the same roles that Koestler is. However, he is a LHP whereas Koestler is RHP so we'll see how Lemonis and Foxhall value that either out of the bullpen or in the rotation somewhere. I'll be curious to see if Lemonis uses Koestler against RH lineups more as a starter and then Harding against more LH dominant lineups and goes with splits to determine match-ups.

Jaxen Forrester. Another JUCO pitcher but from EMCC and he's a reliever all the way. He may be the leading candidate to be our closer right now although there are certainly other candidates such as power arms Logan Tanner and Landon Sims but both are freshmen. Even if he's not our closer he's going to get a lot of work early in the year to see if he can be a factor in SEC play.

The Federalist Engineer
10-11-2019, 07:22 AM
The other grad Transfer David Dunlavey has good experience to. Started 15 games and pitched 88 innings. Hopefully he can be a right handed Zach Neff in terms of production

The problem in all these transfers and JCs is that we are desperately short of high end stuff after Ginn. We are like a Disney underdog movie after Ginn.

I hate matching up with Vandy with another Plumlee in Omaha 2020. But that’s what we got. They had Kumar Rocker as #2 and we had Payton Plumlee. David and Goliath. Bo Jackson vs Rudy.

HoopsDawg
10-11-2019, 08:30 AM
The other grad Transfer David Dunlavey has good experience to. Started 15 games and pitched 88 innings. Hopefully he can be a right handed Zach Neff in terms of production

The problem in all these transfers and JCs is that we are desperately short of high end stuff after Ginn. We are like a Disney underdog movie after Ginn.

I hate matching up with Vandy with another Plumlee in Omaha 2020. But that?s what we got. They had Kumar Rocker as #2 and we had Payton Plumlee. David and Goliath. Bo Jackson vs Rudy.

Cerantola has first round stuff. McCloud has great stuff.

AlSwearengen
10-11-2019, 09:54 AM
It sounds like the staff has a lot of faith in McCloud and Lemonis is very high on Koestler, decent stuff but does a great job of locating and mixing. He also apparently does a lot of the pausing in his wind up that Small did.

Todd4State
10-11-2019, 10:30 AM

I hate matching up with Vandy with another Plumlee in Omaha 2020. But that’s what we got. They had Kumar Rocker as #2 and we had Payton Plumlee. David and Goliath. Bo Jackson vs Rudy.

Some of that is because of the philosophy of some of our past pitching coaches. I think Foxhall is going to bring in more power arms in the future based on what I have been seeing.

HoopsDawg
10-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Need a left field bat.

The Federalist Engineer
10-11-2019, 01:24 PM

That’s what we need to win game-2 and game-3 at Omaha.

The Federalist Engineer
10-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Need a left field bat.

According to coach talk, we have this bat. It may not be the upperclassman we expected

Saltydog
10-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Cerantola has much better "stuff" than Ginn. Not quite as polished but if Eric can gain some confidence and consistently find his release point, he could potentially be better than JT. I think McCloud will be fine too but after that we're gonna be thin. Our bullpen is a major concern. We just don't have enough power arms right now.

Saltydog
10-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Noah Fondren has had a very solid fall and I think they've been experimenting with him some in the OF.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2019, 02:59 PM

This. Cerantola stuff is freaking electric if he can harness it. McCloud has great stuff too.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Todd mentioned Koestler. Don't sleep on him the kid has pretty dang good stuff if he's healthy.

AlSwearengen
10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Todd mentioned Koestler. Don't sleep on him the kid has pretty dang good stuff if he's healthy.

D1 baseball’s article after our series with Louisiana had a pretty in depth interview with Lemonis. He talked about a lot of players but he seemed pretty happy about Koestler and said he has given our hitters fits all fall. Hope he doesn’t have injury issues.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2019, 05:30 PM
D1 baseball?s article after our series with Louisiana had a pretty in depth interview with Lemonis. He talked about a lot of players but he seemed pretty happy about Koestler and said he has given our hitters fits all fall. Hope he doesn?t have injury issues.

That's the only question with him
Is staying healthy. The kid is really good and know how to pitch.