PDA

View Full Version : Art Briles

TheLostDawg
10-09-2019, 06:04 AM
https://deadspin.com/art-briles-already-in-trouble-in-first-season-as-head-c-1838894860

I'm sure that he'll end up in Oxford after this year.

timotheus
10-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Folks move their kids around like that here in MS all the time and the MHSAA turns a blind eye to it. The catch here is that the said players may actually be "good players" and we all know that Briles can coach but this situation seems to be unsettled yet. More to come with it I assume.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Folks move their kids around like that here in MS all the time and the MHSAA turns a blind eye to it. The catch here is that the said players may actually be "good players" and we all know that Briles can coach but this situation seems to be unsettled yet. More to come with it I assume.

Like all those kids who moved to Oxford to play baseball a few years ago, all being part of OM's #1 recruiting class....one that absolutely met fan expectations, lol.

timotheus
10-09-2019, 07:18 AM
ding ding ding

Jack Lambert
10-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Private schools in Miss use to do that all the time. MRA did it bunch back in the day.

Cooterpoot
10-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Private schools still do it. Some public schools too.

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Weird that they were talking about kids moving from Colorado to Mount Vernon, Texas. I don't know if I have ever heard of someone moving like that unless it is to play for one of those Academies in Florida. So do they have rich people that want to win at high school football bad enough to give some kids parents a job?

Cooterpoot
10-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Parents are stupid

Jack Lambert
10-09-2019, 10:16 AM

I have been watching Friday Night Lights the TV series and last night episode was about this very thing about a QB moving to Texas after Katrina.

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 11:05 AM
lol Recruiting kids out of district is alive and well in South Mississippi and I'm talking public schools, and it's in every sport. Been going on for years.

dantheman4248
10-09-2019, 11:56 AM
I personally don’t understand the issue with high schoolers moving to the best spot to further their education be that athletic, academic, or vocational.

Dawg61
10-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Kids moving to play for the better sports teams has been happening for fifty years now. This is a non-issue non-story. Briles may be dirty as 17 for other things but this ain't one of em.

Scared_Hitless
10-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Other coaches filing complaints, meanwhile his team is showing 5-0 and hanging like 50 per game. Briles is a garbage human being but this seems like sour grapes.

Dawg61
10-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Other coaches filing complaints, meanwhile his team is showing 5-0 and hanging like 50 per game. Briles is a garbage human being but this seems like sour grapes.

I think his son escapes the garbage human being label for now yet still offers the 50 point per game offense. Something to consider when/if we ever need another HC. The Briles offense is elite of the elite and has been proven so for over a decade straight now. If we're gonna go 8-4/9-3 every year we might as well be highly entertained on at least one side of the ball. Baylor was pretty damn amazing for a couple year stretch there. Again not advocating hiring Art but I am saying we should look at Kendall. He's currently the OC at Florida State.

coachnorm
10-09-2019, 09:10 PM
I thought that I would add some gasoline to the fire. Social media is fueling high school movement of high school football in urban areas. The players are claiming some control of the game themselves by easy communication thru social media. Players are overtly recruiting talent to their teams and nothing can be done to stop this because no coach, booster, or official of the school are associated with social media communication between 16 year olds on the computer or cell phones away from the campus. In short, one 16 year old contacts another 16 year old on his iphone and all of a sudden a 16 year old football player gets his parent to move from one apartment to another. Needles to say social media can be covertly used with the rich private schools also?

coachnorm
10-09-2019, 09:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rG0JCOjaA

Update on coach Art Brilels

Randolph Dupree
10-09-2019, 09:23 PM
I've never understood the issue with this on the HS level. If you have a legal residence in the school District then what's the issue? For private schools, what's the issue regardless of where you live? I mean, we've all done it right? Maybe not with sports, but you go to buy a home and one of the first things you look at (if you have kids) is the school district. Live in a crappy school district? Ok send your kids to the private school. Why is it different for sports? Why should it be? Little Johnnie and/or Suzie have some talent, you want the best for them.

I moved a year ago. Stayed in the same town, roughly the same size house but spent a lot more money to live in a better school district with better athletic programs for my kids.

defiantdog
10-10-2019, 02:10 AM
Hoover High School used to do this and may still

StarkVegasSteve
10-10-2019, 08:54 AM
I think his son escapes the garbage human being label for now yet still offers the 50 point per game offense. Something to consider when/if we ever need another HC. The Briles offense is elite of the elite and has been proven so for over a decade straight now. If we're gonna go 8-4/9-3 every year we might as well be highly entertained on at least one side of the ball. Baylor was pretty damn amazing for a couple year stretch there. Again not advocating hiring Art but I am saying we should look at Kendall. He's currently the OC at Florida State.

He's not exactly lighting it up at FSU. Now I for one have no problem hiring him if he wins, but 95% of people would raise hell over hiring anyone associated with Baylor during that time. It would be a PR nightmare.

Tbonewannabe
10-10-2019, 09:20 AM
He's not exactly lighting it up at FSU. Now I for one have no problem hiring him if he wins, but 95% of people would raise hell over hiring anyone associated with Baylor during that time. It would be a PR nightmare.

They are averaging 33.2 and we are currently averaging 30.2. They have played a decent schedule with them having roughly the same strength of schedule as us if you can compare the ACC and SEC. It would also come down to how good is he at recruiting. You can be an offensive genius and still only win 7-8 games in the SEC. Look at Hal Mumme's stint at UK.

Dawg61
10-10-2019, 11:28 AM

He's only been there five games. He was at Houston last year when they led the nation in offense and he was at FAU the year before when they led the nation in offense. Is FSU's offense better this year than last's? Also the Baylor garbage was nearly a decade ago and Kendal hasn't had issues around him since then that I know of.

Cooterpoot
10-10-2019, 11:42 AM
We aren’t hiring any Briles. We won’t even sell beer.

timotheus
10-10-2019, 10:28 PM
IB ain't hiring anyone with a type A personality.

Dawg61
10-10-2019, 11:58 PM
We aren’t hiring any Briles. We won’t even sell beer.

Probably true but maybe Mississippi will lighten up some and allow beer, legalize weed and MSU can finally hire an elite offensive coach for real this time.

timotheus
10-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Are u saying that JoMo needs some weed?

Dawg61
10-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Are u saying that JoMo needs some weed?

Sure but Tommy probably needs it more**

gravedigger
10-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Kids moving to play for the better sports teams has been happening for fifty years now. This is a non-issue non-story. Briles may be dirty as 17 for other things but this ain't one of em.

It's not a non issue. It creates kids who believe the entire planetary system revolves around them. Parents can combat it, but they dont. They make the move and wash their hands of issues or they keep moving until the child stops screaming.

Dawg61
10-11-2019, 09:38 AM
It's not a non issue. It creates kids who believe the entire planetary system revolves around them. Parents can combat it, but they dont. They make the move and wash their hands of issues or they keep moving until the child stops screaming.

How many students at the school? 2,000? Find me one period in history that one kid outta 2,000 didn't think they were extra special because their parents told them so. It's a non-issue.

TUSK
10-11-2019, 12:42 PM

And it’s just not with HS football... the enabling permeates most day to day activities & the like...