PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MSU Logos/Traditions?

homefield
10-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Hey guys! Just joined the community - I'm Connor and I help run Homefield. We make premium (read: extra comfortable) college apparel, and try to make unique/vintage designs for schools of all sizes. We know that no matter how much research we do, it'll never compare to the knowledge of die-hards, which is why we joined this community.

We have a few State items on the site right now (https://www.homefieldapparel.com/collections/vintage-mississippi-state-bulldogs-apparel-store), and we want to add even more-we're working right now for potential use of vintage marks, which would greatly help this cause. This is where you come in. No one loves the Dawgs and the school more than you, and we want to learn from the experts.

Mainly: what are your favorite MSU logos/traditions? We only want to make apparel that serves the most passionate fans, and we take that input quite seriously.

Even if you don't have any favorite logos/traditions, if you ever are thinking about ordering some Dawgs stuff, let me know and I'll be sure to hook you up with a solid discount.

Thanks,
Connor

TNDawg35
10-08-2019, 05:29 PM
How about some XXXL For us fat asses...

Fader21
10-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Dead Indians!

Coach34
10-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Make some t-shirts, shorts, and polos with the interlocking MSU from the 1990's and you will get some business- guaranteed. My avatar is the best looking helmet we have evahhhhh had.

monroedawg5646
10-08-2019, 06:59 PM
I want that ?85 Mississippi State on a maroon hoodie!

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 07:12 PM
And it needs to be our football helmet logo. Would grow our brand by a good bit.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Mississippi_State_Baseball_Logo.png

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Make some t-shirts, shorts, and polos with the interlocking MSU from the 1990's and you will get some business- guaranteed. My avatar is the best looking helmet we have evahhhhh had.

Another vote here for the interlocking MSU. And agree on best helmet and to me the best uniform we have ever had for football.

R2Dawg
10-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Agreed, wish we could bring it back for at least a few games.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Agreed, wish we could bring it back for at least a few games.

I'm at the point where I would be happy if they did it for our FCS game every year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-08-2019, 11:21 PM
I’m just curious to how you got the license to do this? When I researched doing this like 5 years ago and found out the red tape and hoops you had to go through, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth? Does MSU have to approve every design?

parabrave
10-09-2019, 12:51 AM
walking bully and best tshirt was one my brother got me in 1978 "Lets win something today". This was better than "Wait till next year".

mparkerfd20
10-09-2019, 12:55 AM
Damn your site is expensive. $32 for a tshirt? I'll pass.

Randolph Dupree
10-09-2019, 06:06 AM
The M over S logo should be our logo, and it isn't in enough stuff. Also, the Swinging Bully is great...love that for baseball stuff.

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2019, 08:13 AM
The M over S logo should be our logo, and it isn't in enough stuff. Also, the Swinging Bully is great...love that for baseball stuff.

The M over S is BY FAR our best logo but we haven't leveraged it near enough in our history. I get that it's the baseball logo, but baseball simply doesn't reach the same number of people as football & basketball & thus it's ludicrous to hold your best logo for baseball only. It's stupid business.

For those that say the M over S would look stupid on the football helmet, I completely disagree. Other schools have used similar logos on their helmets & they look great.

NC State, Baylor, North Carolina, Colorado, Texas Tech, Auburn, & others have all used interlocking logos on their helmets & many others have used the same logo they use for their baseball hats on their helmets.

Again, I've never understood this about MSU

https://dnlzsmybcpo0z.cloudfront.net/games/images/map_img_957153_1508359975.jpg

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2019, 08:14 AM
I’m just curious to how you got the license to do this? When I researched doing this like 5 years ago and found out the red tape and hoops you had to go through, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth? Does MSU have to approve every design?

Just create a similar logo. It's not too difficult

BrunswickDawg
10-09-2019, 08:23 AM
I?m just curious to how you got the license to do this? When I researched doing this like 5 years ago and found out the red tape and hoops you had to go through, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth? Does MSU have to approve every design?

The hoops are still there and they can be tough on it. My daughter did cool Walking Bully logo that was altered for a specific event for an on-campus group and university legal wouldn't let her use it because of the licensing deals. They could use the MState stuff and nothing else. It sucked because it was an awesome design that people would have bought like crazy to benefit a campus organization - but MSU sold off all the rights and to use it you pay huge fees and can't alter them in any way.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Just create a similar logo. It's not too difficult

hahaha no it's not that simple. You obviously have never attempted anything like this. Mississippi State is VERY strict on usage of their name and likeness anything even remotely close will be shut down. I know someone that put a COWBELL in a logo that was not Mississippi State but the colors were maroon and white. They could not hang the sign up at their tailgate because THE COWBELL being in a maroon and white setting was a copyright violation.

homefield
10-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Absolutely this logo. It's one of the ones we're trying to get access to.

homefield
10-09-2019, 08:59 AM
I want that ?85 Mississippi State on a maroon hoodie!

Looking into getting the right color maroon - MSU's is very distinct and we want to do it justice! I think that logo would be awesome on a Maroon hoodie.

homefield
10-09-2019, 09:00 AM
There is a lot of red tape - but this is also our job, so we don't mind it as much. The school does have to approve every design we make. Have really enjoyed working with the licensing team at MSU - they're great people!

homefield
10-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Damn your site is expensive. $32 for a tshirt? I'll pass.

Definitely higher on the price point, generally because we 1) Make extremely high quality apparel - easily will be the most comfortable tee you'll ever own. 2) don't outsource. Everything is done in our Indy office.

homefield
10-09-2019, 09:03 AM
walking bully and best tshirt was one my brother got me in 1978 "Lets win something today". This was better than "Wait till next year".

Interesting - is there a story behind "Let's win something today" ?

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Another vote here for the interlocking MSU. And agree on best helmet and to me the best uniform we have ever had for football.

I think it depends on if you were actively going to or watching games in the 90s. I like it but I am not in love with it like some people. I always referred to is as the MSJ logo.

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Looking into getting the right color maroon - MSU's is very distinct and we want to do it justice! I think that logo would be awesome on a Maroon hoodie.

For the love of everything Holy, don't make it Crimson or Garnet. I love that you are looking at the right color. There is too much that isn't actually Maroon. I would definitely suggest making sure that the color actually looks correct on the fabric even. There is too much MSU stuff that is an off red color at Walmart or wherever else. I wouldn't even consider buying that crap.

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Just for reference, there are two different M State logos. The one from the Croom years has a weird banner and it is crap. Don't bother even making that. The current M State logo is the one you should use if you are going to create anything with the M State logo.