PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on Tennessee Game

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 09:35 AM
YUGE road game for Moorhead this weekend at Tennessee.

Luckily for Moorhead that games is at 12:00 & there will be about 60K there meaning it won't be a hostile atmosphere & thus I somewhat expect us to not look like we've been swallowed up by a black hole on offense.

This is an easy game plan for me & pretty straight forward.

1. Start Shrader & let him play. Stop 17ing around with the church basketball, everyone gets to play BS. This offense runs with Shrader. Don't over think this Joe. Florida averaged 5.5 yards per play against Auburn & that included 64 & 88 yard plays. Meanwhile we averaged 5.8 yards per play vs Auburn once Shrader entered the game. Needless to say, when Shrader is in the game, the offense is more decisive, runs significantly faster from snap to getting up field, & the OL feeds off of it. Shrader plays at an unbelievable pace post snap.

2. Tennessee has the #85 rushing defense the country. Again, don't 17 around here. Snap the ball & let our OL, Shrader, & Hill down their throats.

3. Tennessee has the #90 rushing offense in the country. Good matchup for us. Just have to get pressure on the QB, don't let anyone behind you, & Tennessee won't execute enough to score 17+ points.

4. Take the ball if we win the toss. I don't think Tennessee can stop us on offense if Shrader starts. Take the ball & get an early lead. Make Tennessee chase the game.

Looking at the two teams here, I think it's inexcusable for MSU not to win this game due to matchups.

MSU 37 - TN 17

TaleofTwoDogs
10-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Since when can you apply logic to MSU football. **

Even though we are MSU, I'll go with MSU 28 Tenn 17

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the AU game plan from last year. Just run for 300-400 yards and let the defense rest on the sideline as you punch UT in the mouth.

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2019, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the AU game plan from last year. Just run for 300-400 yards and let the defense rest on the sideline as you punch UT in the mouth.

That's the strategy we need to employ for this one. Maybe mix in a couple of more passes, but for the most part our line needs to dominate the game and open up holes for Kylin, Garrett, Tommy, and whoever else might run the ball.

TrapGame
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Joe's probably going to get too pass happy when keeping it on the ground and letting Kylin be the star is the obvious and simplest game plan.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Nothing will change on defense until we put pressure on the opposing QB. If we can get after the freshman, we have a good chance to limit them offensively, but we better get there if we don't want to get burned deep. They have play makers at the WR spot.

Kingbarkus
10-08-2019, 02:14 PM
We MUST run the ball early and often. Tennessee does have good receivers and even with bad QB play, they can hurt us. We need to play Shrader and grind out a win. I have a terrible feeling we will lose a close game. 24-21 like. Maybe OT. I agree with the poster itt to use the Auburn gameplan of last year.

MagicDawg
10-08-2019, 02:26 PM
This game is giving me heartburn already. I want to believe that with a full, healthy team playing we will handle the Vols, but I've seen very little so far this season that inspires actual confidence. (Yes, we've had inspiring individual performances, but as a team? Not so much.)

The Tutorgate 10 surely put their team, school, and fanbase in a terrible position this season.

Go Dawgs -- go take care of business and get the W. It's a long slog until Arkansas.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 02:28 PM
This game is giving me heartburn already. I want to believe that with a full, healthy team playing we will handle the Vols, but I've seen very little so far this season that inspires actual confidence. (Yes, we've had inspiring individual performances, but as a team? Not so much.)

The Tutorgate 10 surely put their team, school, and fanbase in a terrible position this season.

Go Dawgs -- go take care of business and get the W. It's a long slog until Arkansas.

I believe KY is a good bit better than TN & that was Shrader's 1st start. He's better now

I seen it dawg
10-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Gloom and doom and fire joe and we suck and sloppy shit every day and then it's MSU 37 tenn 17....ok

parabrave
10-08-2019, 08:53 PM
We MUST run the ball early and often. Tennessee does have good receivers and even with bad QB play, they can hurt us. We need to play Shrader and grind out a win. I have a terrible feeling we will lose a close game. 24-21 like. Maybe OT. I agree with the poster itt to use the Auburn gameplan of last year.

Remember guys and gals that out Offense is predicated on what the defense show us. This means that they will show us run forcing Coach J to call in a pass play with 5 seconds left. And unfortunately I'm not being ***.

Coach34
10-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Bottom Line- we have to win this game. End of story

R2Dawg
10-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Very minimum we got to win. An extra is we actually look like an SEC football team doing so. Based on talent, etc. we should win but I just don't trust this staff yet based on 1.5 years of lostness. Got my fingers crossed and hope Jo figures something out this weekend. Absolutely can't have an AU effort this weekend.

DawgNamedScuba
10-08-2019, 09:25 PM
If we don't win the thread about "Should we have hired Pruitt" will be fun to read....

ScooterDog
10-08-2019, 09:25 PM
I'm just wandering how much of a fire is under our DC, since he is returning to TN. He should have the D playing sky high like they've never played before. If it were me I would do every thing in my power to see that the guys played their butts off.

MagicDawg
10-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Gloom and doom and fire joe and we suck and sloppy shit every day and then it's MSU 37 tenn 17....ok

FWIW, I'm not and never have been in the "Fire Joe" group. I've just been underwhelmed at our effort this year, starting with ULL.

I seen it dawg
10-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Bottom Line- we have to win this game. End of story

This is correct. Doesn't matter score doesn't matter how doesn't matter what it looks like.

timotheus
10-09-2019, 06:49 AM
The underwhelming play all starts and ends with the HC. I hope he gets this SEC stuff figured out in a few years maybe.

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:00 AM
The underwhelming play all starts and ends with the HC. I hope he gets this SEC stuff figured out in a few years maybe.

We just need to continue to look competent on offense no matter the opponent and win the games we should to get to 7 wins and a bowl. The defense just is what it is this year. Hopefully Shoop figures it out or we will need to find another guy which is crazy to say since he had the #1 defense last year.

tcdog70
10-09-2019, 09:24 AM
pressure on the QB is the key to us winning going forward. Not just this game. The Reason Bo Nix looked like Montana was because He didn't get his dick knocked into his watch pocket. I would go man defense and blitz the shit out of the Vols. the zone concept is beyond our capabilities.

biggun
10-09-2019, 09:29 AM
I'm just wandering how much of a fire is under our DC, since he is returning to TN. He should have the D playing sky high like they've never played before. If it were me I would do every thing in my power to see that the guys played their butts off.

Excellent point. Willie Gay’s return should also provide a huge spark

biggun
10-09-2019, 09:30 AM
We just need to continue to look competent on offense no matter the opponent and win the games we should to get to 7 wins and a bowl. The defense just is what it is this year. Hopefully Shoop figures it out or we will need to find another guy which is crazy to say since he had the #1 defense last year.

It’s the Jocks and Joe’s, not the X and O’s

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 09:41 AM
It’s the Jocks and Joe’s, not the X and O’s

It is to an extent but we can playcall to help out our weaknesses. Not sure what to do about missed tackles other than practice it. One of my friends was mentioning that he thought the S&C could be causing part of it.