PDA

View Full Version : Could hurts' nfl stock be dropping with no fault of his own?

msstate7
10-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Mayfield is 32nd out of 34 qualifying QBs in passer rating. Kyler Murray is 28th out of 34 qualifying QBs in passer rating.

MetEdDawg
10-08-2019, 08:04 AM
It should. I thought both of those QBs were not going to make it in the NFL. They don't have to read defenses hardly ever.

It doesn't take a genius to throw to the man standing wide open by himself like Oklahoma is fortunate enough to do on entirely too many occasions.

I think the increasing talent gap by the top tier teams is hurting those players in the NFL. When you are surrounded by the best talent it's much easier to look good. But when you get on an NFL team and your ability to study, anticipate, and react more quickly is tested because everyone is at the same level, it isn't the same and I think some of these top tier kids from the blue bloods are struggling at the cerebral positions.

It would not shock me if Tua flops in the NFL.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 08:10 AM
But, but, but those guys would prove everyone wrong and justify their midget asses being top picks.

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2019, 08:15 AM
They kept talking last night about how Mayfield is a one read QB and if you look how Murray plays its the same way. I doubt Jalen would be any different.

BeastMan
10-08-2019, 08:19 AM
I get your point that Riley’s QBs aren’t lighting it up but at Bama, Hurts was undraftable, especially on the bench. He’s now putting himself back on draft boards and might win the Heisman. I don’t think Hurts is a NFL QB but he’ll get a shot due to his time at Oklahoma

msstate7
10-08-2019, 08:21 AM
I get your point that Riley’s QBs aren’t lighting it up but at Bama, Hurts was undraftable, especially on the bench. He’s now putting himself back on draft boards and might win the Heisman. I don’t think Hurts is a NFL QB but he’ll get a shot due to his time at Oklahoma

Good point

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Hurts looks a lot like Byron Leftwich throwing the ball. But he could be more Donta Culpepper.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 08:29 AM
I just don't see Hurts as an NFL QB & I think these OU QBs looking meh in the NFL does make it that less likely that he's ever an NFL starting QB.

We all saw him throw the ball at Bama & it was below average. No matter how many yards he puts up at OU, that won't change. I'm sure some NFL will waste a 2nd or 3rd pick though

Does this hurt Lincoln Riley?

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Hurts looks a lot like Byron Leftwich throwing the ball. But he could be more Donta Culpepper.

Both of those guys threw better balls. Culpepper had significantly better arm strength

To me, Hurts looks like Dak but with 75% of the throwing ability

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 08:33 AM
It should. I thought both of those QBs were not going to make it in the NFL. They don't have to read defenses hardly ever.

It doesn't take a genius to throw to the man standing wide open by himself like Oklahoma is fortunate enough to do on entirely too many occasions.

I think the increasing talent gap by the top tier teams is hurting those players in the NFL. When you are surrounded by the best talent it's much easier to look good. But when you get on an NFL team and your ability to study, anticipate, and react more quickly is tested because everyone is at the same level, it isn't the same and I think some of these top tier kids from the blue bloods are struggling at the cerebral positions.

- Agree. As I've harped on continuously, the talent gap is not only hurting the NFL, it's hurting college football as well. Most of the game are unwatchable.

- I think Tua will be an average NFL. He's really accurate & makes quick decisions & that'll make him decent. I don't think his physical ability is that great though

magrooder
10-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Tua reminds me of Danny Weurfel, a very good, accurate, college qb, but not a strong enough arm to be effective in the pros.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Tua reminds me of Danny Weurfel, a very good, accurate, college qb, but not a strong enough arm to be effective in the pros.

To me, he's something between Kellen Moore & Mark Brunell. Average

Agree on his arm strength. He throws to such wide open WRs right now that it's hard to see that lack the arm strength. It'll show up real quick in the NFL

Irondawg
10-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Tua's accuracy will at least make him a viable NFL QB. Arm Strength will be a factor for him potentially though although I thought it might be with a few other QB's that are doing well.

Worst case Hurts is a T. Hill kind of guy for some teams and he's apparently a great locker room guy. So I'm not sure he's ever a NFL starting QB but I think he'll hang around the league awhile if he can prove to be even moderate throwing the ball.

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2019, 09:15 AM
They kept talking last night about how Mayfield is a one read QB and if you look how Murray plays its the same way. I doubt Jalen would be any different.

Wish we had a one read qb.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Wish we had a one read qb.

Shrader is more than a 1 read QB.

He goes through his progressions as quickly & easily as I've seen from a freshman

Scared_Hitless
10-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Baker has alot of tendencies that are being exposed, his pocket presence is abysmal. He has a tendency to flush to the right side when the pocket breaks down and eliminate half of the field. He is still playing college ball at the pro level, it is not working and he is being figured out quickly. He has to adjust and learn to climb the pocket and win with his footwork. I am not sure he has the coach to get him there just yet.

In regards to Kyler he has a terrible OLine and a coach that never deserved to be hired. Time will tell on him he has more raw talent than Baker though. Not sold on either, but Baker is currently regressing heavily.

Lincoln Riley needs to be the first call for Jerry Jones when they fire Jason Garrett (Please) this offseason.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Both of those guys threw better balls. Culpepper had significantly better arm strength

I’m talking motion. Leftwich was very mechanical looking throwing. He runs like Culpepper.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Baker has alot of tendencies that are being exposed, his pocket presence is abysmal. He has a tendency to flush to the right side when the pocket breaks down and eliminate half of the field. He is still playing college ball at the pro level, it is not working and he is being figured out quickly. He has to adjust and learn to climb the pocket and win with his footwork. I am not sure he has the coach to get him there just yet.

In regards to Kyler he has a terrible OLine and a coach that never deserved to be hired. Time will tell on him he has more raw talent than Baker though. Not sold on either, but Baker is currently regressing heavily.

Lincoln Riley needs to be the first call for Jerry Jones when they fire Jason Garrett (Please) this offseason.

No he doesn’t. His game doesn’t translate to the NFL. Kings bury is doing similar things. Those guys are fools gold in the NFL.

dawgs
10-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Mayfield is 32nd out of 34 qualifying QBs in passer rating. Kyler Murray is 28th out of 34 qualifying QBs in passer rating.

This time last year hurts had no nfl stock. He's gonna get a shot due to this year, so no, his stock is not dropping.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Culpepper was closer to Cam than Hurts. He had a strong arm and was a big dude.

dawgs
10-08-2019, 10:19 AM
As for writing off mayfield and Murray right now, Peyton manning threw 23 ints in his 4th season, even in a different era, that was 2nd most in the NFL in 2001.

Mayfield set multiple rookie QB records last season and Murray shows plenty of flashes but plays behind arguably the worst OL in the NFL (and the browns OL aint much better either). I don't know if either will be quality long term NFL QBs, but they both still need some help upfront before we determine anything and both very likely have HCs who are in over their heads.

Passer rating is pretty antiquated too. QBR ain't perfect and I'm sure there's other metrics out there, but Murray is 16th in QBR, which ain't bad for a rookie. I know for certain I don't write off a QB and declare them a bust after 5 games into their career. Especially since Murray himself hasn't been a complete and utter disaster.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 10:19 AM

I was talking to one of my friends about this a couple of weeks ago. It is kind of like when a kid either plays up or down. When you have an 8th grader that is playing high school and just looks average. When he gets to where he is on par talent wise then he has an edge. The opposite is true when you have a 19-20 year old playing in high school. They are dominating but when they play with other people on par with their talent then they seem to be at a disadvantage.

It is kind of like that with Bama. When you can throw it almost anywhere on the field and have a 5 star WR just catch it and run then you don't have to do all the little things correct. For MSU to play with Bama, you have to elevate your game. Bama players rarely have that type of game that really pushes them. I will say that if any coach could prepare a player to deal with it that Saban would probably be the best. Most coaches in his place would have had a little bit of a letdown from the grind of staying on top for that long.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Culpepper was closer to Cam than Hurts. He had a strong arm and was a big dude.

Culpepper ran a 4.52. Hurts has run a 4.48.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Culpepper ran a 4.52. Hurts has run a 4.48.

Culpepper was around 6'5" 260 lb. Hurts is around 6' 210 lb.

vv83
10-08-2019, 01:25 PM
I just don't see Hurts as an NFL QB & I think these OU QBs looking meh in the NFL does make it that less likely that he's ever an NFL starting QB.

We all saw him throw the ball at Bama & it was below average. No matter how many yards he puts up at OU, that won't change. I'm sure some NFL will waste a 2nd or 3rd pick though

Does this hurt Lincoln Riley?

Helps him. He's going to get a huge NFL payday when/if he leaves OU. Also let's be honest Baker was getting much better coaching in college from Riley than he is from Freddie Kitchens and whoever the QB coach is. Murray I never saw but Baker I think absolutely is an NFL all star potential. If he can get the right coach he's gonna be special. If the Browns are smart they throw the bank at Riley after the season and reunite them. Kitchens is over his head as a HC

defiantdog
10-08-2019, 01:27 PM

#HeismanCurse

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Helps him. He's going to get a huge NFL payday when/if he leaves OU. Also let's be honest Baker was getting much better coaching in college from Riley than he is from Freddie Kitchens and whoever the QB coach is. Murray I never saw but Baker I think absolutely is an NFL all star potential. If he can get the right coach he's gonna be special. If the Browns are smart they throw the bank at Riley after the season and reunite them. Kitchens is over his head as a HC

There have been rumors that Dallas might come after Lincoln Riley. Jason Garrett's contract is up this year and the word is NFC Title game or bust. There is already rumors linking Garrett to the now open Redskins job.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Other than Brady, who is the last blue blood QB to win a Super Bowl?

msstate7
10-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Other than Brady, who is the last blue blood QB to win a Super Bowl?

Peyton Manning

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Peyton Manning

Yeah.

Just interesting when you consider how many blue bloods get taken in the top 10 overall picks