PDA

View Full Version : We need to send our coaches to SF this offseason to take some notes from K Shanahan

Irondawg
10-07-2019, 09:25 PM
His offensive units just continue to do well without relying on Pro-Bowl talent seemingly to make it work.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 09:28 PM
We need to send Moorhead to South America to observe sloths... maybe seeing them would inspire joe to move a little faster

PerrysThirdLeg
10-07-2019, 09:47 PM
17 lets just bring back Croom. He went 1-1 with Saban, so he has the blue print on how to beat him

Tbonewannabe
10-07-2019, 10:15 PM
We need to send Moorhead to South America to observe sloths... maybe seeing them would inspire joe to move a little faster

Funny thing is UF rarely snapped the ball with more than 10 seconds and it was mostly around 5. AU was close to that also. It isn't specifically only Joe who does it.

Todd4State
10-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Funny thing is UF rarely snapped the ball with more than 10 seconds and it was mostly around 5. AU was close to that also. It isn't specifically only Joe who does it.

I think our fans bitching about the check with me's and the playclock are bitching about something to bitch about.

If we had Kyle Shanahan they would probably bitch about how much our QB is under center or something like that.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 10:27 PM

They ran 8 more plays, 12.5% more. Florida ran the most plays against auburn this season; we're tied with Tulane for the least amount of plays against auburn this season

Lord McBuckethead
10-07-2019, 10:56 PM

Yeah, except once they had the defense on the ropes, they sped it up.

Skydawg1
10-07-2019, 11:05 PM
His offensive units just continue to do well without relying on Pro-Bowl talent seemingly to make it work.Gavin would send back 10 homeless people per MS coach.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Dan still doesn?t have his QB to be able to run faster. And we probably don?t either.. Hard to do that with inexperienced guys. Of course, Dan struggled installing a faster offense when he was here too.
But LSU is running about 15 more plays than us and at times 30 more plays. Us and FL are two of the slowest in the SEC along with GA.

dawgday166
10-08-2019, 05:44 AM

True but ... some of their plays were explosive. Momentum shifters. That's the difference.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 06:01 AM
They ran 8 more plays, 12.5% more. Florida ran the most plays against auburn this season; we're tied with Tulane for the least amount of plays against auburn this season

The amount of plays you run also depends on if the defense gets you the ball also.

BogeyGolfer
10-08-2019, 06:29 AM

Unless Joe is willing to speed the offense up and get a rhythm offensively, we will not be successful winning games on a consistent basis....Like it or not, it's the truth. Joe will either adapt or not be coaching here in 2 years, period.

msstate7
10-08-2019, 07:02 AM
The amount of plays you run also depends on if the defense gets you the ball also.

Us vs auburn: 64 plays, 32:35 TOP = 1 play every 30.5 seconds

Florida vs auburn: 72 plays, 33:41 TOP = 1 play every 28.1 seconds

So they got off 8 more plays in 1:06. Worth noting that they played from in front the whole game while we played from behind.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 08:14 AM

We ran fewer plays last year with a great defense.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 11:36 AM

So they got off 8 more plays in 1:06. Worth noting that they played from in front the whole game while we played from behind.

So roughly 2 seconds different and UF was at home vs on the road in a hostile environment. Look at don't like the Moorhead check with me bullshit every damn play but this is nitpicking. We have ran a lot faster on the play clock this year than last year. We rarely snap it with less than 5 seconds unless it is after opening kickoff apparently.****

msstate7
10-08-2019, 11:39 AM
So roughly 2 seconds different and UF was at home vs on the road in a hostile environment. Look at don't like the Moorhead check with me bullshit every damn play but this is nitpicking. We have ran a lot faster on the play clock this year than last year. We rarely snap it with less than 5 seconds unless it is after opening kickoff apparently.****

That's a pretty big difference... in 1:06 more of time of possession, Florida ran 8 more plays

sonofozarka
10-08-2019, 11:52 AM
We need to send Joe some place where he'll have more time to share and retweet cat videos

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 12:45 PM
That's a pretty big difference... in 1:06 more of time of possession, Florida ran 8 more plays

But looking at what everyone is bitching about, that is snapping the ball at 9 seconds on the play clock vs 11 seconds. There isn't anything really to bitch about there. Again, I agree that last year was a complete shitshow with us seeming to snap the ball under 5 seconds every play along with the whole look at me deal. I just don't think bitching about this is really justifiable. Joe does plenty of other things to bitch about, this is just bitching to bitch.

Hell, if he snaps the ball around 5 seconds then we have "more time of possession" and then you bitch about that. You can look at stats but just taking them at face value without looking at other issues around those stats don't always tell the entire picture.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Also, I guess until Joe's offense shits the bed again, we have gone quiet on the offense points per game sucks. I guess we are just waiting on when our offense scores under 10 points to bring back out the Joe's offense sucks chants. It is ok, LSU and/or Bama will probably bend us over like they have numerous times in MSU history.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 01:16 PM
Also, I guess until Joe's offense shits the bed again, we have gone quiet on the offense points per game sucks. I guess we are just waiting on when our offense scores under 10 points to bring back out the Joe's offense sucks chants. It is ok, LSU and/or Bama will probably bend us over like they have numerous times in MSU history.

Radio silence on PPG in SEC play which last year was the mantra because everyone should score 50+ on OOC opponents.

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Everyone is worried about the time each snap...... I couldn't care less and I believe that is not the actual issue with our offense.
First, let me say waiting 28.1 seconds each play in itself isn't the issue. The issue is, we never take advantage of a defense on their heels. Once we get a 1st down, the best offenses set up very quickly, show some urgency, and about 50% of the time snap the next play with 22 or so seconds on the play clock. They do this because they already know which play they want to run, usually a quick slant, deep shot, or a jet sweep. The QB calls the play with all those options, quickly makes a decision on which to run, yells a key word to the offense and takes the snap. It's not that damn hard. We never do it. Never do it.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2019, 02:08 PM

That because their defense played well. Not because the offense did anything.

Use common sense sheesh.

msstate7
10-08-2019, 02:14 PM
That because their defense played well. Not because the offense did anything.

Use common sense sheesh.

We had almost equal TOP. I even gave time per play. Are you guys seriously arguing we don't operate at a snail pace?

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 02:47 PM
We had almost equal TOP. I even gave time per play. Are you guys seriously arguing we don't operate at a snail pace?

I am not arguing that but what I am saying is this isn't specific to Joe which a lot of people make it out to be. I just made a conscious decision to watch UF and AU to see where they snapped the ball. I was actually surprised by the fact that most of the time both teams snapped the ball around 10 seconds left on the play clock. AU occasionally sped up and several times Gus wanted to move faster than Nix was actually going. I guess it depends on if you want to run a bad play fast and hope you catch the defense out of position or a good play slow but then the defense has time to set up. Naturally that isn't always the case and it isn't like I totally agree with what Moorhead is doing. I just don't think it is fair to roast him on it. There are plenty of other issues like passing on 3rd and 2 instead of giving Kylin the damn ball. That one play might have changed the KSU game. Or not running it straight up the gut on 1st and 6 inches.

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Again, the snail pace isn't the issue. We have to eat clock because our defense couldn't stop a 8 year old peewee football rushing attack. The issue is getting the play in with only 3-4 seconds left on the clock. If you get the play in with 15 seconds on the clock and hold it until 2-3, then great. At least it isn't a mad dash to get set and snap right before the delay of game. It reeks with being unprepared at the simplest of tasks. And you know we were not prepared for KSU, Auburn, and UK last year.

NWADAWG
10-08-2019, 04:05 PM

The offense going 3 and out more often will also decrease the # of plays you run.

I don't really care how many plays we run. I care how many plays end in points. If we had 10 possessions in a game and 5 of them were 3 and outs and 5 of them were 1 play touchdowns. I would not complain that we only ran 20 plays. This is obviously an extreme example but number of plays is only one of many variables that determine the success of an offense / team.

timotheus
10-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Again, the snail pace isn't the issue. We have to eat clock because our defense couldn't stop a 8 year old peewee football rushing attack. The issue is getting the play in with only 3-4 seconds left on the clock. If you get the play in with 15 seconds on the clock and hold it until 2-3, then great. At least it isn't a mad dash to get set and snap right before the delay of game. It reeks with being unprepared at the simplest of tasks. And you know we were not prepared for KSU, Auburn, and UK last year.

Joe will continue to do this regardless of who the players are or who the opponent may happen to be. He can dress it up in flowery words but in the end, the reason Joe does what Joe does is because that is all that Joe knows. Check back next season when we supposedly have a full roster but continue to suffer these same issues.