PDA

View Full Version : Any reason none of the media wants to ask about the defensive issues?

Irondawg
10-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Just watched Joe's monday pressure and all anybody cares about it the QB situation, tutorgate and a few odds questions for specific stories (Shoop returning to TN, etc).

Not one question about how they plan to fix the defense that isn't putting up much resistance to any teams with an offensive pulse.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-07-2019, 09:37 PM
JoMo does literally nothing on that side of the ball. 100% of the D is in those coaches hands. Asking JoMo "What will you do to fix this crappy pass rush" will generate annoyance from him and an answer of "we've got some great coaches yada yada young talent yada yada they'll evaluate things and figure it out".

Now if Shoop was the one up there, then hell yes I'd expect to hear some questions about it. But it's also worth noting that the causal fan is who gets the media clicks, and us ED users are in the 1% of how closely we follow the program. Casual fans know the name of the starting QB and not a lot else. Causal fans think "Our DC is going back to his old employer, wonder what his emotions are for that" (actually scratch that, no (male) fan has ever give a crap about that, but the media sure as heck thinks we do). Anyway they ask softballs for puff pieces because 90% of $ is generated from fans with a shallow understanding of the team

Ari Gold
10-08-2019, 10:08 AM
A great response and I wish he would say it would be.
“Well the previous staff quit recruiting and left us behind the 8 ball in a key few positions with players and depth”

Which is 100% correct.....

Irondawg
10-08-2019, 10:11 AM
It is also odd that they may Shoop available pretty much every week last year and he hasn't met with the media at all this year after the season started that I can remember. Not sure if that's Joe or Bob's call. Could be playing it same since Bob always seemed a little looser and maybe they were worried he'd say something he wasn't supposed to about the suspensions

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2019, 10:11 AM
No need to ask. Everybody knows what the problem is there. Ari nailed it.

1bigdawg
10-08-2019, 10:32 AM
It is also odd that they may Shoop available pretty much every week last year and he hasn't met with the media at all this year after the season started that I can remember. Not sure if that's Joe or Bob's call. Could be playing it same since Bob always seemed a little looser and maybe they were worried he'd say something he wasn't supposed to about the suspensions

Shoop probably did not appear because of the connection to Tenn. Anything he said about the previous situation there or the current situation here could and would be twisted to reflect badly.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 10:42 AM
“Well the previous staff quit recruiting and left us behind the 8 ball in a key few positions with players and depth” Combined with the suspensions pretty much screwed us on defense.

Just added a little.

Dawg2003
10-08-2019, 11:02 AM
For some reason, Shoop gets a pass.

Ari Gold
10-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Grantham gave up 49 to Auburn, 31 to UGA, 23 to umaas, 21 to la tech and 31 to OM in 2017...

I’m not saying we don’t hold Shoop accountable for any of the bad this year , but damn ...

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Grantham gave up 49 to Auburn, 31 to UGA, 23 to umaas, 21 to la tech and 31 to OM in 2017...

I’m not saying we don’t hold Shoop accountable for any of the bad this year , but damn ...

Grantham had those 1st round talents on defense that year also. I don't see anyone of that caliber within a year of getting drafted in the 1st round unless Gay or Dantzler improve their draft stock. Even then it is doubtful they sneak into the first round. He is also dealing with losing Autry, Gay, and Murphy on top of the guys lost to draft/graduation.

Rivers, Cole, Spencer, and Peters haven't lived up to the practice hype either along with Erroll taking a step back.

Ari Gold
10-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Grantham had those 1st round talents on defense that year also. I don't see anyone of that caliber within a year of getting drafted in the 1st round unless Gay or Dantzler improve their draft stock. Even then it is doubtful they sneak into the first round. He is also dealing with losing Autry, Gay, and Murphy on top of the guys lost to draft/graduation.

Rivers, Cole, Spencer, and Peters haven't lived up to the practice hype either along with Erroll taking a step back.

Rivers and Cole have been very solid this year...
Spencer can’t stay healthy ..

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 12:02 PM
“Well the previous staff quit recruiting and left us behind the 8 ball in a key few positions with players and depth”

I would enjoy the MSU fan meltdown of “ but now Joe is making excuses and that’s the sign of a bad coach”. Some of our fan’s didn’t like the Bob from Bogue Chitto comment which wasn’t directed at anyone in particular.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 12:03 PM

He had the number one defense in the country last year and most understand the issue with the suspensions.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Rivers and Cole have been very solid this year...
Spencer can’t stay healthy ..

I might have expected too much but I thought we would get more than "very solid". I am just going to quite paying any attention to practice reports.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Just added a little.

True. The suspensions took what would probably have been at least a serviceable D down several notches.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 01:12 PM
They?d have to ask Dan at his presser.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 01:13 PM
True. The suspensions took what would probably have been at least a serviceable D down several notches.

Just adding Autry and Gay make us at least mediocre instead of a shitfest. Our defense isn't too far off Sirmon bad this year. Sirmon was a shit defensive coordinator but we did have the reason of switching to a 3-4 which always has growing pains.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 01:13 PM
I might have expected too much but I thought we would get more than "very solid". I am just going to quite paying any attention to practice reports.

Let’s see how we look Saturday with Autry and Gay in the lineup.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Let’s see how we look Saturday with Autry and Gay in the lineup.

Doesn't change the fact that I am disappointed in Rivers. Cole has some big shoes to fill and Fred Peters isn't wrecking things like everyone thought he would.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Doesn't change the fact that I am disappointed in Rivers. Cole has some big shoes to fill and Fred Peters isn't wrecking things like everyone thought he would.

I think the biggest thing we lack on defense is energy. Gay provides that when he’s not ejected.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 01:23 PM
I think the biggest thing we lack on defense is energy. Gay provides that when he’s not ejected.

We do look like a different team when Gay is on the field but I expect more out of a high level senior DE. He shouldn't need Gay to push him. I just believed some of the stats and practice reports that said he would put up similar (not close to equal) numbers as Sweat. I don't see him getting double teamed either so I would think he would have a bigger impact.

defiantdog
10-08-2019, 01:26 PM

We need to play Preston more at safety..... when he’s in, he makes a point to have an impact on every play.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2019, 01:58 PM

I'm not so certain it is a step back as much as it is that there is no single person that an offense has to focus on with a double team. In our better years we always had that one freak that opponents just had to put a second body on - Cox, Preston Smith, Jones, Simmons, or Sweat (you could probably add guys like McKinney or Bennie Brown or Richie Brown into that situationally as well) . That makes it a lot easier for other guys to make plays. The past 2 years we had 2 freaks on the DL in Simmons and Sweat that required constant attention regardless of the situation. A lot of times they both got double teamed - which put the numbers heavily in our favor. Now, offenses can effectively double team at the point of attack and not have to account for 1 particularly disruptive player. That makes a huge difference. It's why just having 1 of either Autry or Gay makes our defense look better. They are disruptive players that have to be accounted for and puts the numbers more in our favor.

Doggie_Style
10-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Let?s see how we look Saturday with Autry and Gay in the lineup.

They should be well rested***

R2Dawg
10-08-2019, 09:36 PM
JoMo does literally nothing on that side of the ball. 100% of the D is in those coaches hands. Asking JoMo "What will you do to fix this crappy pass rush" will generate annoyance from him and an answer of "we've got some great coaches yada yada young talent yada yada they'll evaluate things and figure it out".

Now if Shoop was the one up there, then hell yes I'd expect to hear some questions about it. But it's also worth noting that the causal fan is who gets the media clicks, and us ED users are in the 1% of how closely we follow the program. Casual fans know the name of the starting QB and not a lot else. Causal fans think "Our DC is going back to his old employer, wonder what his emotions are for that" (actually scratch that, no (male) fan has ever give a crap about that, but the media sure as heck thinks we do). Anyway they ask softballs for puff pieces because 90% of $ is generated from fans with a shallow understanding of the team

May be true but Jo is the head man so he should know what is going on with the D considering and know enough to answer some basic questions. If he can't do that then, he doesn't need to be the CEO of our program.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 10:02 PM
We do look like a different team when Gay is on the field but I expect more out of a high level senior DE. He shouldn't need Gay to push him. I just believed some of the stats and practice reports that said he would put up similar (not close to equal) numbers as Sweat. I don't see him getting double teamed either so I would think he would have a bigger impact.

They shouldn't but it is a team game and sometimes different people bring different things to the table. Personally I never thought that Rivers would produce as much as Sweat. I'm more concerned about the missed tackles across the board on defense.

They should be well rested***

No doubt! Ha!

jackindabox
10-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Just watched Joe's monday pressure and all anybody cares about it the QB situation, tutorgate and a few odds questions for specific stories (Shoop returning to TN, etc).

Not one question about how they plan to fix the defense that isn't putting up much resistance to any teams with an offensive pulse.

This doesn't have much to do with your post but since we are talking D. I think we desperately need Willie Gay to play an entire game. He might be the MVP of the team. Not the best player (although really good) he is the most valuable in my opinion.

Apoplectic
10-09-2019, 11:03 AM
has out media ever asked any tough questions

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
has out media ever asked any tough questions

Has any media ever asked a college coach the hard questions?

Apoplectic
10-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Has any media ever asked a college coach the hard questions?

no and this is why urban, art, and sabans have ruined the game

Tbonewannabe
10-10-2019, 09:24 AM
no and this is why urban, art, and sabans have ruined the game

Saban would just look at whoever asked the question say "I am not answering that" and motion that their media credentials are now revoked.