PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Has A Very Awkward Coaching Decision Coming up....

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 09:14 AM
This tweet the other night caught my eye because it was true.

It's hard to not see the awkwardness train rolling down the tracks in Oxford.

If Luke wins 5 or 6 games, what do they do?

Clearly the best head coach on OM's staff is Rich Rod, & there is about a 10% chance he stays after this season unless he's named the head coach. If he leaves, they have to start all the way back over unless they go hire an OC that runs a similar offense as Rich Rod.

What would you do if you were OM?

msstate7
10-07-2019, 09:17 AM
I've been more impressed by mike macintyre than rich rod, although both have been pretty solid

gtowndawg
10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm just hoping we can make some good hires...

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I've been more impressed by mike macintyre than rich rod, although both have been pretty solid

Either way, they likely lose both after the season unless one is named the head coach.

Tbonewannabe
10-07-2019, 09:20 AM

Yep, both were great hires that had off the field baggage. Macintyre was a pretty good at Colorado. Either one is a better head coach than Luke.

sonofozarka
10-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Completely agree, he's done a great job. They're so much more sound and disciplined. IMO I don't think their talent level was nearly as bad as their results on D showed the last 2 years.

They're better statistically on D than State right now and they've already had to play an elite offense in Bama to bring down their stats

sonofozarka
10-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Either way, they likely lose both after the season unless one is named the head coach.

Is this true though? Aging retreads aren't at the top of head coaching boards anymore, so I don't know that HC opportunities will be waiting for them unless they're willing to go G5 or lower... would they rather do that or improve Ole Miss for 2-3 years before trying to get a bigger job?

I do wonder if they would leave for a coordinator position at a bigger school

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Yep, both were great hires that had off the field baggage. Macintyre was a pretty good at Colorado. Either one is a better head coach than Luke.

How much of this year's team is Luke or both former HCs telling him what to do?

I wonder if Rich Rod has it in him to throw the EB to fire up the fan base? That could get him the job.

timotheus
10-07-2019, 09:41 AM
I say move RR to starkville, problem solved. He and the bearded one would do damage.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Is this true though? Aging retreads aren't at the top of head coaching boards anymore, so I don't know that HC opportunities will be waiting for them unless they're willing to go G5 or lower... would they rather do that or improve Ole Miss for 2-3 years before trying to get a bigger job?

Mack Brown, Herm Edwards, Les Miles, etc say your wrong

Johnson85
10-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Yea, it's not true. I think either one of them could go get another job this off season, but I don't think they're going to be hot names by any means. I think if I were Ole Miss, based on the improvement they've shown this year, I'd probably take the poor man's LSU approach. Recognize that the head coach needs help and pay for assistants, and let Luke's pay reflect the fact that they are having to pay a lot for assistants. So extend Luke by a year at the same salary, and commit to pay their coordinators to where they won't lose them unless a solid head coach position comes available or a blue blood comes calling with a coordinator offer.

What they cannot do at this point is pay Luke for improvement from the coordinators and give him a bigger contract that they are going to have to buyout when the coordinators leave. Luke can't go anywhere else and be head coach, and he's already getting paid way above what his experience would have justified, so I wouldn't think he'd be particularly upset that his coordinators are getting credit or that he is "only" making $3M a year.

Johnson85
10-07-2019, 09:47 AM

Do Richrod or McIntyre have national championships? Harder to explain Herm Edwards, but he is a former NFL coach and he has credibly committed to play to win the game.

PMDawg
10-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Completely agree, he's done a great job. They're so much more sound and disciplined. IMO I don't think their talent level was nearly as bad as their results on D showed the last 2 years.

They're way better on D than State right now and they've already had to play an elite offense in Bama to bring down their stats

FIFY

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Do Richrod or McIntyre have national championships? Harder to explain Herm Edwards, but he is a former NFL coach and he has credibly committed to play to win the game.

I'm not going to argue about i. You can believe whatever you want. I just provided examples of retreads

BeastMan
10-07-2019, 09:58 AM
I just don’t see OM screwing Matt Luke like that. If he wasn’t who he was with the connections to the institution I’d say it’s possible but I just don’t see them doing that to him. IMO the much more likely scenario is Rich Rod doing well and getting offered a better gig. And personally, I wouldn’t want RR to be my school’s HC. Failed at Michigan, failed at Arizona. What makes anyone think he’d be successful at a more difficult job?

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 10:08 AM
I just don’t see OM screwing Matt Luke like that. If he wasn’t who he was with the connections to the institution I’d say it’s possible but I just don’t see them doing that to him. IMO the much more likely scenario is Rich Rod doing well and getting offered a better gig. And personally, I wouldn’t want RR to be my school’s HC. Failed at Michigan, failed at Arizona. What makes anyone think he’d be successful at a more difficult job?

I don't think he would be successful. It still sets up an awkward decision because OM will basically have to go out & hire another Rich Rod offensive guy or kick Plumlee to the curb

msstate7
10-07-2019, 10:16 AM
If OM were smart, they'd hire Willie fritz. Plumlee, ealy, and their WRs would fit that offense well

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 10:21 AM
If OM were smart, they'd hire Willie fritz. Plumlee, ealy, and their WRs would fit that offense well

Got to hire a guy comfortable with the Network. Some coaches don't mind a little bending of the rules, gray area situations. The blatant all out cheating by alums and boosters could be a no go for quite a few. Remember Tuberville left because the boosters wanted to run the program. Cut got fired b/c he wouldn't go along with the Network either. Nutt didn't care and Hugh Freeze was all in.

Ari Gold
10-07-2019, 10:23 AM
They have a good front 7 of upper class men almost all Sr.s But basically no depth behind them
They will be worse on def next year
Yes McIntyre is a huge upgrade over Crime Dog
Longo lead the sec in passing last year and top 5 or 6 in total offense
Its no different this year just rushing and passing flipped. And just like last year let’s see what happens against some other teams.. I know I know they scored X amount on Bama .. good for them
Is RR and upgrade yes , but damn lets pump the breaks on naming him assistant coach of the year.

And its going to be interesting how they handle the coaching situation there. They might want to hire a full time AD first.
If Luke is back I dont see both coordinators back if any , and if they let Luke go they have to hire one of the 2 or they both are gone if the HC comes from elsewhere.
If that happens whos the QB.? If RR stays odds are Corral transfers.
Lots of uncertainty up there for sure

Cooterpoot
10-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Y’all need to stop whipping off to OM. That schedule ain’t tough.

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Mizzou's better than Vandy. It'll be interesting to see the passing stats for Mizzou in this game. Vandy's QB is trash. He had wide open guys he overthrew by three yards or more.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 10:36 AM

How bout us? Should we be whipping off to us? Like it or not, tenn, ark, and om are the opponents that we should be the most concentrated on bc the others ain't happening

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 10:44 AM
They have a good front 7 of upper class men almost all Sr.s But basically no depth behind them
They will be worse on def next year
Yes McIntyre is a huge upgrade over Crime Dog
Longo lead the sec in passing last year and top 5 or 6 in total offense
Its no different this year just rushing and passing flipped. And just like last year let?s see what happens against some other teams.. I know I know they scored X amount on Bama .. good for them
Is RR and upgrade yes , but damn lets pump the breaks on naming him assistant coach of the year.

And its going to be interesting how they handle the coaching situation there. They might want to hire a full time AD first.
If Luke is back I dont see both coordinators back if any , and if they let Luke go they have to hire one of the 2 or they both are gone if the HC comes from elsewhere.
If that happens whos the QB.? If RR stays odds are Corral transfers.
Lots of uncertainty up there for sure

Good post & kind of re-iterated my feeling that they really aren't building anything as much as they're just trying to win this year & see what happens after that

Ari Gold
10-07-2019, 10:49 AM
How bout us? Should we be whipping off to us? Like it or not, tenn, ark, and om are the opponents that we should be the most concentrated on bc the others ain't happening

Well the thread wasn’t about us..
but I’m sure you can make it into a Fire Joe thread real quick

Cooterpoot
10-07-2019, 10:57 AM

I give you permission. Simply because you do it all the time and it’s likely an addiction for you at this point.

dawgs
10-07-2019, 11:03 AM

That's 3 out of 120something FBS programs. There's never gonna be 100% compliance with any movement, but statistically speaking, CFB programs (and nfl franchises) are looking for young, enthusiastic HCs that run an exciting offense. Those guys are the exceptions, not proof that the poster was "wrong". Stats and trends don't necessitate 100% compliance to be correctly identified.

Saltydog
10-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Luke is not going anywhere, IMO. There's no doubt they are vastly improved. It may not show up in the W/L column but I think there's been enough improvement that they'll keep him another year. There's no denying they are improved on both sides of the ball. Anyone saying otherwise is looking thru maroon colored lenses. They're more upset about the new President than they are with Luke at the time.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Luke is not going anywhere, IMO. There's no doubt they are vastly improved. It may not show up in the W/L column but I think there's been enough improvement that they'll keep him another year. There's no denying they are improved on both sides of the ball. Anyone saying otherwise is looking thru maroon colored lenses. They're more upset about the new President than they are with Luke at the time.

They are improved because of two assistants that they'll lose after the season

BeastMan
10-07-2019, 11:14 AM
I don't think he would be successful. It still sets up an awkward decision because OM will basically have to go out & hire another Rich Rod offensive guy or kick Plumlee to the curb

What their chancellor ?search? just proved is that the GOB still hold all the power. Luke is plugged in with that group so I don?t see them doing that. They were who pushed for him to get the job. You?re right though on the RR/QB situation going forward. You?re looking at Tisdale and Corrall likely entering the portal after the season since they lost out to Plumlee. If they were to lose RR, there have to replace him with someone who is comfortable using Plumlee?s skill set.

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 11:14 AM
They are improved because of two assistants that they'll lose after the season

Beat me to it. Both may get a shot to be coordinators for bigger programs. RR may get a shot at HC of a good G5 school. If they stay with Luke next season I'll be shocked.

StarkVegasSteve
10-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Here's my thing on RichRod, everybody always says how great these QBs in his system are and the later on the season goes they look less and less effective. No doubt that Plumlee is great for that type of offense, but can this style hold up through a 12 game schedule. Khalil Tate basically did this exact same thing a couple of years ago and everyone thought RichRod had caught lightning in a bottle with Tate, but as the season went on teams started to dare him to throw and he couldn't do it. It'll be interesting to see what Odom comes up with this weekend in CoMo. Kelly Bryant, if healthy, very well could throw for 400 yards on OM's defense though.

Political Hack
10-07-2019, 11:29 AM
They're about to lose 5 of their next 6, assuming we play the tutor 10 in the egg.

Saltydog
10-07-2019, 12:01 PM
That may be true but Luke was smart enough to hire them. Either way, it looks goods on him so he'll be there next year, which I'm absolutely fine with BTW.

Johnson85
10-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Got to hire a guy comfortable with the Network. Some coaches don't mind a little bending of the rules, gray area situations. The blatant all out cheating by alums and boosters could be a no go for quite a few. Remember Tuberville left because the boosters wanted to run the program. Cut got fired b/c he wouldn't go along with the Network either. Nutt didn't care and Hugh Freeze was all in.

And so he went to Auburn? Yea, no. Tuberville left because Auburn is a better program. Them not coming through with some of the investments in facilities they had promised him probably made it a little easier for him to leave, but probably didn't matter.

msbulldog
10-07-2019, 12:34 PM
If Tubby thought there was no booster interference at Auburn, I bet he was surprised when he met Bobby Lowder and the Yellow Wood man.

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 12:37 PM
And so he went to Auburn? Yea, no. Tuberville left because Auburn is a better program. Them not coming through with some of the investments in facilities they had promised him probably made it a little easier for him to leave, but probably didn't matter.

Of course AU is a better program. They came after Tub at the right time. He was fed up with certain boosters who treated him like he was their employee. I got this from a well connected om alum almost twenty years ago.

TrapGame
10-07-2019, 12:39 PM
If Tubby thought there was no booster interference at Auburn, I bet he was surprised when he met Bobby Lowder and the Yellow Wood man.

He was treated better at AU than om. OM is a plantation full of rat poison.

Bubb Rubb
10-07-2019, 01:54 PM
What their chancellor ?search? just proved is that the GOB still hold all the power. Luke is plugged in with that group so I don?t see them doing that. They were who pushed for him to get the job. You?re right though on the RR/QB situation going forward. You?re looking at Tisdale and Corrall likely entering the portal after the season since they lost out to Plumlee. If they were to lose RR, there have to replace him with someone who is comfortable using Plumlee?s skill set.

The GOB pushed for Luke a couple of years ago because they didn't want to lose more players to transfer. They were trying to hold things together and believed they weren't far off from getting back to where they were.

I seriously doubt Luke has the same support today that he did then from the GOBs at Ole Miss.

Liverpooldawg
10-07-2019, 02:32 PM
They have beaten Vandy and Arkansas. I wouldn't anoint them as vastly improved, yet.

MedDawg
10-07-2019, 03:10 PM
Mizzou's better than Vandy. It'll be interesting to see the passing stats for Mizzou in this game. Vandy's QB is trash. He had wide open guys he overthrew by three yards or more.

Right on time, Missouri's leading tackler was injured last week and is out for the season. Plus Kelly Bryant is injured and is at best hurting for the OM game. I guess for Bryant it was either be injured before the OM game or during the OM game.

Johnson85
10-07-2019, 04:05 PM
They have beaten Vandy and Arkansas. I wouldn't anoint them as vastly improved, yet.

Well, last year, they lost @Vandy and only won @Arkansas by 4. This year, they beat Vandy bad at home and also beat Ark by two touchdowns. I'm not sure that's vastly improved, but it's definitely heading in the right direction for them. ON the flip side, if they win this weekend, they'll still likely be in the same place at the end of the year as last year, playing for bowl eligibility in the egg bowl.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Well, last year, they lost @Vandy and only won @Arkansas by 4. This year, they beat Vandy bad at home and also beat Ark by two touchdowns. I'm not sure that's vastly improved, but it's definitely heading in the right direction for them. ON the flip side, if they win this weekend, they'll still likely be in the same place at the end of the year as last year, playing for bowl eligibility in the egg bowl.

Both of those games were also road games last year.

Liverpooldawg
10-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Vandy is much worse than they were last year. Arkansas probably is too. They played them both at home this year.

MedDawg
10-07-2019, 07:27 PM

So does OM get first choice for head coach between Rich Rod and Macintyre and we get the other one?

1bigdawg
10-08-2019, 10:26 AM

I agree with this. He is not going anywhere. What bothers me is he seems to be recruiting well and within "NCAA Safe" parameters. He is bringing in solid linemen on both sides of the ball, something his predecessor seemed to think was unnecessary unless they were 5 stars.

msstate7
10-08-2019, 11:08 AM
So does OM get first choice for head coach between Rich Rod and Macintyre and we get the other one?

I think OM and us can do better than macintyre and rich rod as HC

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2019, 11:26 AM
I think OM and us can do better than macintyre and rich rod as HC

Both of those guys were pretty good not very long ago. Macintyre had Colorado at least somewhat respectable and borderline bowl eligible and Rich Rod only had 1 losing season at Arizona.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Luke only gets fired if his coordinators leave. And they will.