PDA

View Full Version : 1986 in Knoxville

basedog
10-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Never will forget Don Smith going off on Tn that day. Actually he is my favorite QB all time at Msu, I can't imagine how good he would have been in today's offenses. His receivers dropped more passes, dude was a great athlete. Also I can't remember the exact year but I also remember Msu beating Tn in the mid to late 70's in Memphis. I wanna say James Berry from Natchez was Tn running back who was amazing runner but injuries curtailed his career. I will never forget one evening having dinner with a close family friends house, the host was a huge Oklahoma alumni/fan. He picked up Barry Switzer at the airport, Switzer was in hot pursuit recruiting Berry and I was invited to Dinner that night to meet Switzer and listen to "some" of the recruiting pitch.
Later in the evening after Dinner, Switzer ask the host IF he could borrow his car and talk to Berry, I ask what was going on. The host laughed and said Switzer was making the deal for Berry, LOL, I do believe Berry must have made a bigger deal by going to Tn, which I do know one of the reasons he went to Tn.

So once again I'm hoping this Saturday we see Shrader play as well as Don Smith Saturday afternoon day, if so we beat them.

Open date was much needed as I pretty much didn't read ED till this morning, it was good for me to stay off this board, so I thought I would bring 1986 and the 1970's back to life, I do like our chances in Knoxville Saturday.

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2019, 10:45 AM
I remember it well. This video doesn’t get all of the highlights but Don Smith made play after play that day.

https://youtu.be/6WbTrsTzx2w

BHildreth3
10-07-2019, 10:49 AM
I loved those uniforms - especially the "silver" pants.

Cooterpoot
10-07-2019, 10:55 AM
That was a 6 win season with no bowl wasn’t it?

basedog
10-07-2019, 11:08 AM
That was a 6 win season with no bowl wasn’t it?

Yes, I think we got killed on the scoreboard with "murderous row" that year, Bama, Au, Lsu and Cheater U. It was Felkers first year, we started out like "gang busters" only to fizzle big time!

Bothrops
10-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Biggest win in Felker's career.

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Yep. ..... and if anyone thinks our run defense this year is bad.... look up the game vs Bama in 86. That was a long day.

msbulldog
10-07-2019, 12:30 PM
I will never forget the SEC stealing the the SEC championship from us in 1998 and giving it to Tennessee on a bullshit pass interference call.

FISHDAWG
10-07-2019, 01:09 PM
I was there and remember it well

basedog
10-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Biggest win in Felker's career.

Maybe so as the National Sports news back in the day was all over Felker and Smith after that big upset.

I also remember his biggest play calling ever, we played Egg Bowl in Jackson, Billy "dog" Brewer had is 4th down and a yard or so. We went for it on 4th down around midfield, faked the dive play and hit TE Jesse Anderson over the linebackers head which was about a 10 yard pass. Anderson raced into the end zone for an easy TD. Great unexpected call that worked!

Cheater U was shocked that afternoon!

NCDawg
10-07-2019, 01:39 PM
I will never forget the SEC stealing the the SEC championship from us in 1998 and giving it to Tennessee on a bullshit pass interference call.

Not only that one, but several more calls. I recall once when T Martin was trying get loose on a tackle, our DL, Sluder, tackled him and they called a late hit, which it wasn't. On the pass interception by Tennessee, Prentiss was mugged and had no chance to catch the ball, but of course, the referees didn't call pass interference.

basedog
10-07-2019, 01:39 PM
May I add, those days I talked about were fun, not because we had many winning season, but no social media and Msu fans followed the team as if it was a "baseball team". I will say Felker was fired after his 4th or 5th year, but he had done a really good job of recruiting and we will never know what "if" he had been allowed another year as JWS came in and did well the next two years with Felkers recruits. He was so young when he took the job, had no experience being a HC, but each year he got better and he was starting to get better assistants.

Social media kills coaches and teams now days, it's really sickening, we Msu teams, facilities and students have come a long ways in the last 20 years. Not sure if or when we can catch up to expectations for message board experts. Just saying, look around and say it ain't so.

AROB44
10-07-2019, 02:18 PM
May I add, those days I talked about were fun, not because we had many winning season, but no social media and Msu fans followed the team as if it was a "baseball team". I will say Felker was fired after his 4th or 5th year, but he had done a really good job of recruiting and we will never know what "if" he had been allowed another year as JWS came in and did well the next two years with Felkers recruits. He was so young when he took the job, had no experience being a HC, but each year he got better and he was starting to get better assistants.

Social media kills coaches and teams now days, it's really sickening, we Msu teams, facilities and students have come a long ways in the last 20 years. Not sure if or when we can catch up to expectations for message board experts. Just saying, look around and say it ain't so.

Very valid points...?+1000

RocketDawg
10-07-2019, 03:48 PM

One of the main things I remember from that game is that the Big 12 (or whatever the conference was then) championship ran way over and we missed seeing about half our game on television.

basedog
10-07-2019, 04:03 PM
One of the main things I remember from that game is that the Big 12 (or whatever the conference was then) championship ran way over and we missed seeing about half our game on television.

I was there, it was loud and had just about as many Msu fans as Tn. IF JJ would have played in this physical game, it may have been a different outcome. We had a hard time running the ball, but again we were playing w/o our best offensive threat that night.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Back Judge took a bad angle and missed the tackle on Smith?s run.

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2019, 05:24 PM
I was there, it was loud and had just about as many Msu fans as Tn. IF JJ would have played in this physical game, it may have been a different outcome. We had a hard time running the ball, but again we were playing w/o our best offensive threat that night.

I gave our fans grief about traveling a few weeks back. But we were well represented in that SECCG. I was there as well.

JJ being hurt really limited our offense.

RocketDawg
10-07-2019, 06:23 PM
I gave our fans grief about traveling a few weeks back. But we were well represented in that SECCG. I was there as well.

JJ being hurt really limited our offense.

We also had a good presence in the Chick Fil A bowl against Clemson. Post-season appearance was unusual for us back then though.

Schultzy
10-07-2019, 08:08 PM
I was there and remember it well
Me too, very fun game to be at.

TALL DAWG
10-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Not only that one, but several more calls. I recall once when T Martin was trying get loose on a tackle, our DL, Sluder, tackled him and they called a late hit, which it wasn't. On the pass interception by Tennessee, Prentiss was mugged and had no chance to catch the ball, but of course, the referees didn't call pass interference.

Yep. I was there and those were 2 plays which the refs missed big time.

I yelled and jumped around so much at that game I caught a huge cramp
in my rib cage! And, I was only in my early 30?s at time..:)

That was a loud bldg that night!

FriarsPoint
10-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Game in Memphis was 77 or 78. I was there Dave Marler had a field day. It was a thumping.

basedog
10-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Game in Memphis was 77 or 78. I was there Dave Marler had a field day. It was a thumping.

Yes it was! Talk about a QB who could spin the ball!! Pretty sure he was a transfer from MC, was also a field goal kicker.

msbulldog
10-08-2019, 06:30 AM
Mahler was a punter.

AROB44
10-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Mahler was a punter.

And a placekicker....