PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M article

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
By popular demand.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/?p=5606

BeastMan
04-16-2013, 12:25 AM
As usual, very nice job. The last paragraph is so important. We need big attendance thursday night on tv. Do you think it could make a difference if we were on the cusp of hosting?

engie
04-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Do you think it could make a difference if we were on the cusp of hosting?

Not Todd, but it's going to make a huge difference. Our fans just look for a reason to jump back on the bandwagon -- this team is starting to give it to them.

What we see is a team that's finally back to what we expect(yearly) that's starting to get hot and build momentum late... We've got 3 home series left -- Auburn, Alabama, and South Carolina. This weekend will have MONSTER crowds. We take care of business there, then we go to Vandy. If by some strange occurrence, we win that road series, the Alabama series back home will be even huger than normal(and it's normally big given that baseball rivalry). Then the OM series on the road will be huge. Then we have the team that's played for 3 national championships in a row coming in to close the season -- and hopefully put a regional host site on ice...

It's not inconceivable at all that we break 10k paid on all the last 3 Saturdays at home. I really think we are going to finish in the 7500 range for average paid attendance on the year -- the best we've ever had...

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks! Like engie is saying, the people are coming. The interest is there, I think it's always been there, but I think it had gotten stale under Polk and LT for SEVEN years- that's a long time- and I think the focus had gotten away from winning and being the best we could be and it was more about something else- a platform for the evil's of the NCAA or simply about being in the black and making money among other things and people aren't going to buy into that because that's not why people watch sports, love sports, and not why MSU fans love or were first drawn to MSU baseball.

I truly think baseball is something special to MSU fans and there is a lot of pride there and also high expectations- and I think that's good. It takes a little while to build that up- I didn't want to say that a whole lot on the front end because we were going through Croom's seven year rebuilding project at the time and talking about a several year long rebuilding project was the LAST thing anyone at MSU wanted to hear. I would have still like to have seen a little bit more success in year two, but at this point in time based on years 3-4 and now what's happened in year five, I'm OK with everything overall.

But here's the problem- outfield- full of people. Bleachers- have people in them, not necessarily full. Grandstand- about 30% full. That's what people see on TV mostly, and it looks like the stadium is mostly empty. People are THERE, it's just looks like they aren't. Scott is going to have to figure something out with that- we do an honor system during midweek games, and honestly as empty as the grandstand is, I don't see why we can't do that during SEC games. The honor system meaning you sit where you want, and if a season ticket holder comes up to you and that is their seat, they politely say it's their seat and they show you their ticket and then you politely move to another seat. I know the contracts are an issue, but we can surely come up with something better. I don't think a ticket exchange is the answer. We are re-seating for football, and have done so for basketball, I don't know why we can't do that for baseball- other than I haven't actually seen a seat contract and I don't the wording in it.

But the other thing about it is, if and when we host a regional, the grandstand WILL be packed. That's when the season ticket holders in the grandstand come, and that's why they keep buying season tickets. Season ticket holders always get priority for baseball regionals. I think that's more the issue rather than we have a bunch of dead alumni that aren't showing up and have willed their tickets to their kids who don't show up. Again, it's hard for me to make a truly informed opinion on how to fix this without knowing what's in the contract, because otherwise I think it's possible to have it where those old timers can keep their priority but at the same time maybe if they don't use their tickets, they could be sold to someone that will use them.

I know that was long winded, but I'm not sure if I understand your question because we ARE on the cusp of hosting IMO- it's just up to us to take care of business at this point. You can do fireworks, have Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, whatever else out there- NOTHING draws better than a winning product. Miami being the exception. We have that, and I think that's reflected in the attendance. In year three of Cohen we were coming off of three losing seasons and I think some people either didn't like Cohen or they weren't sold on him, or they were waiting on him to fix the program, and we finally had a good year. In year four attendance was a little bit better, but I think a lot of our fans thought year three was possibly a fluke for some reason and so people were in wait and see mode and the team had another good year that was better than year three. Now expectations have gotten higher, but the team is still meeting and maybe even exceeding those expectations. And now like engie is saying, we may set some attendance records.

bulldogcountry1
04-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I've been to almost every weekend home game this season. I've done a lot of observing from the grandstand because of the whole deal about the chairbacks being sold out in the past, yet half-empty has been a bother to me. There are a good many people in my area that come to most games, but there are blocks of seats or even whole rows that have never had anyone in them. I don't understand. I have overheard people mention things like "these are grandpa's seats, but he just doesn't want to come anymore".

I was just thinking of starting another "Expand DNF or build a new one?" thread. I have always been on the expansion side, but, after a conscious effort to observe the features, needs, operation, and the chairback issues of the stadium, I think we have to scrap it all and start anew. I don't know the particulars of these contracts, and I don't know the extent, either. I do know it's something we need to get out of, and it probably can't happen without starting over. We have lost the aging fanbase, and we must start attracting a new generation - a generation that can have the ability to enjoy the game from the best seats. I can definitely say that I wouldn't have come to near as many games if I had to sit in the bleachers.

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Texas A&M's stadium looked great on TV. Lower and upper deck behind the plate - looked to extend from 1st to 3rd base, then a grassy area where our bleachers currently are. I'm all for getting rid of the bleachers and creating some type of grassy picnic area for kids to play, and maybe renovate the grandstand area and hopefully be able to start from scratch as far as current season ticket holders go. It's a shame on a SBW when you see the bleachers packed out but grandstands 40-50% full, and 1/3 of the people in the bleachers can't even see the batter.

This may be a stupid idea, I just came up with it in my head, but what if we just sold season tickets as a general admission ticket? For 80% of the games you could get in and go sit right behind the plate - or you could go hang out in the LFL, whatever. Maybe sell the season tickets at a reduced rate that averages out at say $4 a game, but if you walk up to the game you have to pay $10 or $12...so there is still incentive to buy. I'm just thinking about 1. getting the grandstands to fill up and 2. the people who don't know anyone in the LFL, can't sit in the grandstands, and would rather listen on the radio than sit on a hard bleacher where you can't half see.

Will James
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
This may be a stupid idea, I just came up with it in my head, but what if we just sold season tickets as a general admission ticket? For 80% of the games you could get in and go sit right behind the plate - or you could go hang out in the LFL, whatever. Maybe sell the season tickets at a reduced rate that averages out at say $4 a game, but if you walk up to the game you have to pay $10 or $12...so there is still incentive to buy. I'm just thinking about 1. getting the grandstands to fill up and 2. the people who don't know anyone in the LFL, can't sit in the grandstands, and would rather listen on the radio than sit on a hard bleacher where you can't half see.

I like it. TX AM had chairbacks in the smaller lower level and right behind home plate in the upper level. The majority was bleacher. I am all for having season ticket reserved seats for the lower boxes at DNF and the 3 sections right behind the plate (F,G,H) and general admission for the rest of the chairbacks.

Also the bleachers must be destroyed.

Spider-Man
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I think we need to put in berms(sp?) in place of the bleachers. Hate sitting on those.

Bo Darville
04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
As always Todd, good content. I enjoy reading your baseball articles.

engie
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
The grandstand has to be destroyed IMO. I've been on that bandwagon for awhile now...

It's built in such a way that we can never(comfortably) expand down the lines. Even if there are chairbacks out there, they are still facing at the center field fence -- and you still have a crick in your neck in the 3rd inning.

Add in the problem with the lifetime contracts and it makes the answer pretty simple IMO.

Dawgtini
04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
This +1. Can't see from the bleachers and no longer know anyone in LFL. When I go, I try to tag along with someone who has tickets in the grandstands.

Bo Darville
04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Just a thought, and maybe a dumb one:

What if we moved homeplate toward the pitcher's mound about 20 feet? Obviously the mound and infield would all move accordingly. That would make for a smaller field if the fences stayed in their current location. It would also mean more foul territory behind the plate and down each line. With more foul territory down each line, the metal bleachers could be moved toward the field and angled more toward the plate for a better view.

I'm not saying that is my preferred solution to the bad angle, just brainstorming. It would definitely work. It just might not take out enough angle to make a significant difference. You would probably be bringing the far end of the metal bleachers about 15 feet in from where they currently are.

ScoobaDawg
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
I can't see them bulldozing the grandstand but it is a good option. I've spent countless amount of time looking at the stadium and doing measuring trying to figure out how to fix the lines with an expansion of the grandstand WITHOUT killing every bit of foul space which I HATE... like Bama's RF line.
South Carolinas decision was about the best I could find.

But with the Shitty Press box, Shitty Skyboxes, and lifetime SEAT contracts... that is the way to do it.

dickiedawg
04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
I can definitely say that I wouldn't have come to near as many games if I had to sit in the bleachers.

would rather listen on the radio than sit on a hard bleacher where you can't half see.

Are bleachers that bad? I realize our portable bleachers suck, for sight lines and ugliness. But is it a problem at football games? Or in Hoover? I really like the "chairback bleachers" at Hoover and would prefer that to chairbacks for general admission. It's nice to be able to spread out a little if the game is not crowded, which is the majority of the time.

State82
04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Good job, Todd, as usual. Always look forward to the weekly report. Now, regarding stadium improvements. I honestly can't see, in today's economic situation, tearing down a perfectly fine structural frame for a college baseball facility. Skyboxes need renovating/updating, no doubt. DNF's current site is fine and holds a lot of baseball memories for everyone of us who are big baseball fans. Call me sentimental, whatever. That being said, we are in dire need of improvements if we are going to continue to play big time collegiate baseball at the level and on the stage we all expect. I just don't see starting from scratch at another location being fiscally responsible right now. We have just completed/in the process of completing about $100 million in football facilities. Dropping another $30 million or so for a new baseball facility isn't in the cards. Plus, if you try to do it at the existing site, it is very doubtful that it could be done in the 9 months available between the completion of one season and the start of the next. However, we can significantly improve what we have, both functionally and aesthetically, to the point it would serve the University perfectly well for years to come. And for a lot less money. Whatever is done, the bleachers have to go. They are hideous. Renovation/expansion at the existing site will be tough due to space constraints, I admit. But I believe, with the right architectural study, we can make very significant improvements, within a reasonable budget, that will result in a facility that everyone will be proud of.

engie
04-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Ole Miss did the Swayze renovation/expansion in one off-season for $20 mil -- and it was basically a brand new stadium. No similarities whatsoever to what was there before...

I look for us to at least match the Swayze renovation simply from a "keeping up with the joes" perspective -- but it comes a point where you can put lipstick on the pig for 2/3 the price and still be stuck with empty grandstand seats forever and ever -- or you can blow it up and start over. LSU, USCe, and others have chosen to start over. If we get our attendance back, after this new tv deal is announced, money will not be an issue....