PDA

View Full Version : Any baseball talk after the game(s) yesterday?

trob115
10-06-2019, 08:33 AM
I saw we lost the first game, but destroyed them in the second game.

I also saw where Brandon Smith had to leave the game in the first inning due to some sort of injury. Anyone have any update ?

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Not sure what it up with Smith yet. Hopefully it's a minor issue because we need him.

MacLeoud looked really good. I think he's a weekend starter for us. Ginn and Cerentola didn't throw and that's our Friday and Saturday one two punch.

Most disappointing thing to me were how Eagan and Price performed. But it's also one game.

Self is resting right now too. Hopefully he is learning another pitch or two to go along with his cutter.

The JUCO transfers looked pretty good for the most part. Jaxen Forrester, Houston Harding, and Chase Patrick may be able to help us out. Carlisle Koestler who is a grad transfer pitched well also.

Of the freshmen- Logan Tanner and Landon Sims throw hard but the command isn't always quite there.

C- Hancock and Jones are the front runners and I think Hancock will win it with Jones catching a lot too.

1B- Between Brandon Pimentel who hit well yesterday, Hatcher, and Tanner Allen.

MIF- Focue and Westburg are really good and potential all-SEC types.

3B- Between Landon Jordan, Kamren James, and Noah Fondren. James is the best defensively IMO but he's also the most inexperienced and no idea at this point where his bat is against SEC pitching. Jordan is a good hitter. Fondren is a JUCO guy that actually started out at Alabama. After the scrimmages he may be the front runner but it's just one series. This will probably be a revolving door of who's hot.

OF- Probably Allen in LF, Rowdey for sure in CF, and then Hatcher or Cumbest in RF with the edge going to Hatcher. Pimentel is a possibility as well. One guy to keep an eye on as a role guy for us next year- Hunter Blalock. Also- Hunter French may be our top pinch run guy.

DH- could be a lot of guys but I'm going to guess Landon Jordan.

Homedawg
10-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Price is flirting w not making the roster. He's gotten knocked around this fall

Homedawg
10-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Not sure what it up with Smith yet. Hopefully it's a minor issue because we need him.

MacLeoud looked really good. I think he's a weekend starter for us. Ginn and Cerentola didn't throw and that's our Friday and Saturday one two punch.

Most disappointing thing to me were how Eagan and Price performed. But it's also one game.

Self is resting right now too. Hopefully he is learning another pitch or two to go along with his cutter.

The JUCO transfers looked pretty good for the most part. Jaxen Forrester, Houston Harding, and Chase Patrick may be able to help us out. Carlisle Koestler who is a grad transfer pitched well also.

Of the freshmen- Logan Tanner and Landon Sims throw hard but the command isn't always quite there.

C- Hancock and Jones are the front runners and I think Hancock will win it with Jones catching a lot too.

1B- Between Brandon Pimentel who hit well yesterday, Hatcher, and Tanner Allen.

MIF- Focue and Westburg are really good and potential all-SEC types.

3B- Between Landon Jordan, Kamren James, and Noah Fondren. James is the best defensively IMO but he's also the most inexperienced and no idea at this point where his bat is against SEC pitching. Jordan is a good hitter. Fondren is a JUCO guy that actually started out at Alabama. After the scrimmages he may be the front runner but it's just one series. This will probably be a revolving door of who's hot.

OF- Probably Allen in LF, Rowdey for sure in CF, and then Hatcher or Cumbest in RF with the edge going to Hatcher. Pimentel is a possibility as well. One guy to keep an eye on as a role guy for us next year- Hunter Blalock. Also- Hunter French may be our top pinch run guy.

DH- could be a lot of guys but I'm going to guess Landon Jordan.

I'll be surprised if we have Allen and Hatcher in the of at the same time. That's a bad slow outfield and not good defensively.

Saltydog
10-06-2019, 03:37 PM
He and Self have regressed a lot since their freshman years. Both have had arm issues but Price is a mere shadow of what he used to be unfortunately. Self was horrible last year. He needs to develop a little more velo and get another pitch because he's essentially a one trick pony right now.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 03:53 PM
I'll be surprised if we have Allen and Hatcher in the of at the same time. That's a bad slow outfield and not good defensively.

Yeah. IMO our best defensive alignment is probably Hatcher at first, James at third, Cumbest in RF, Rowdey in CF, and Allen in LF. I'm not saying that's our best all around lineup just the best defensively.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 03:54 PM
He and Self have regressed a lot since their freshman years. Both have had arm issues but Price is a mere shadow of what he used to be unfortunately. Self was horrible last year. He needs to develop a little more velo and get another pitch because he's essentially a one trick pony right now.

Self likely won't be able to add velo at this point. His best chance at success is to add another pitch to compliment his cutter or change his arm angle.

AlSwearengen
10-06-2019, 04:12 PM
From everything I’ve been reading, Allen has been in RF and Hatcher in LF all fall. Like everyone else, that makes me nervous.

Lemonis said that none of the catchers have really separated themselves at this point. He mentioned Pimentel at 1B so you have to figure that he is going to factor in.

Noah Fondren who plays 2B was 4-4 yesterday. Someone had the opinion that Foscue might be moved to 3B to get the kid on the field. He played in the second game, so he might have been facing scrubs, I don’t know.

We need some freshmen and the juco’s to come through on the mound b/c it sounds like Price isn’t going to be able to do it and I’m not expecting much from Self either. We really need Cerantola to live up to his potential and Smith to do the same.

I have a feeling that we will be figuring out the lineup right up to the first SEC series.

Homedawg
10-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Allen has been practicing in right. Lots of people getting shots in left. Fondren playing there some and doing well

bulldogcountry1
10-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Don’t really see how Self and Price should make the roster. Price obviously isn’t going to get back to where he was before TJ, and Self has one pitch. I’d love to get back to having those guys close out games for us, but I don’t see it.

Looks like Hatcher had a rough day yesterday. He’s going to have to get much better against lefties to be an everyday player. They made him look bad last season.

It seems odd that we have so many pitchers that are healthy, but are still “resting”. Are those guys even throwing bullpens? Is this just a Lemonis thing, being conservative?

HoopsDawg
10-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Don’t really see how Self and Price should make the roster. Price obviously isn’t going to get back to where he was before TJ, and Self has one pitch. I’d love to get back to having those guys close out games for us, but I don’t see it.

Looks like Hatcher had a rough day yesterday. He’s going to have to get much better against lefties to be an everyday player. They made him look bad last season.

It seems odd that we have so many pitchers that are healthy, but are still “resting”. Are those guys even throwing bullpens? Is this just a Lemonis thing, being conservative?

Cerantola pitched for Team Canada. No need to throw Ginn alot in the fall. Both are on their throwing programs.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Hayden Jones is sort of a 2 tool player right, but those 2 tools are so strong, he would be my guy. Guy has an absolute rifle that can totally control the run game. And he can hit tanks. I just think he needs live reps to be a .250+ hitter. And surely Cheese can get him where he needs to be as a receiver by Feb/Mar

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 10:01 PM

The main ones resting are Ginn, Cerentola, and Self. No reason to burn them out at this stage of the season. I can't see Self being a closer regardless. I just hope he is at least a guy that can give us an inning or two every weekend.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Hayden Jones is sort of a 2 tool player right, but those 2 tools are so strong, he would be my guy. Guy has an absolute rifle that can totally control the run game. And he can hit tanks. I just think he needs live reps to be a .250+ hitter. And surely Cheese can get him where he needs to be as a receiver by Feb/Mar

That's the key with Jones. And why Hancock is ahead of him right now.

StarkVegasSteve
10-07-2019, 09:14 AM
The main ones resting are Ginn, Cerentola, and Self. No reason to burn them out at this stage of the season. I can't see Self being a closer regardless. I just hope he is at least a guy that can give us an inning or two every weekend.

Riley is going to be a matchup guy for us. He can come in and eat some innings. He's gonna be knocked around some nights and he's gonna look like his Freshman yr. some nights. It's just what we're gonna get with him at this point. And we need guys like that. Especially for midweek and Sunday games. I really don't know what to make of Spencer Price at this point. He just doesn't look like he has it anymore. I don't like his chances of even making the roster at this point.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm not a big fan of leading off Rowdy. He's not a good enough hitter for that spot & I'd just assume start the lineup off Foscue, Allen, Westburg & just maximize their ABs in the game.

Foscue's OBP last year was .402 with about even strikeouts to walks. He's the lead off hitter IMO.

BankerDog
10-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Would not surprise me one bit to see Hancock out in LF if he doesn?t lock down the starting catching spot. For a catcher, he can run.

Saltydog
10-07-2019, 03:18 PM
I think we have to have Jones in the lineup, if for nothing else his bat. Now maybe that is at DH but I wonder if he could possibly make a switch to say, 1b. Just thinking out loud but I do like this kid and think we have to get him more p/t.

timotheus
10-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Tood4state check your PM

Todd4State
10-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Tood4state check your PM

I sent a PM back yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it.

hp22
10-07-2019, 11:38 PM
I think we have to have Jones in the lineup, if for nothing else his bat. Now maybe that is at DH but I wonder if he could possibly make a switch to say, 1b. Just thinking out loud but I do like this kid and think we have to get him more p/t.

The catcher position will be interesting. I think we have some very good options. I really like Hancock's approach at the plate in the bottom half of the order. He is very disciplined and pitchers have to work to get him out. He battles.

We have to find guys to replace the production from Skelton and Gilbert in the bottom half. I like our candidates.

dawgoneyall
10-08-2019, 02:33 AM
If Pimentel can make contact with SEC pitching.....watch out.

Hancock blocked every thing thrown at him....and he had plenty of chances

I seen it dawg
10-08-2019, 08:41 PM
I think Hancock could be our next great sparkplug/glue guy. Dirtbag grinder.

Homedawg
10-08-2019, 09:03 PM
I think Hancock could be our next great sparkplug/glue guy. Dirtbag grinder.

I agree w this. All day.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 09:59 PM
I agree w this. All day.

Former 8th grade recruit FWIW.

Homedawg
10-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Former 8th grade recruit FWIW.

Our track record w those has been really good to be honest....

ZedFedder
10-08-2019, 11:13 PM
Hancock can swing it, too. Reminds me of a Stovall.

Todd4State
10-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Our track record w those has been really good to be honest....

Honestly- remarkably good. And I know it's early- but I've heard some good things about Austin Kelly as well.

It seems like most of the 8th grade recruits are typically guys that are playing at smaller schools in Mississippi and are playing on the varsity as an 8th grader and doing well despite being five years younger than the seniors.

timotheus
10-09-2019, 06:54 AM
How many guys will be cut by early next year?

Homedawg
10-09-2019, 06:56 AM
The roster has to get down to 35. 27 are on scholarship those are on the squad. The others are fighting for the 8.