PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Chancellor Search

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Whenever Keenum leaves someday, how do we prevent our search from being a compete scam of an operation like theirs was?

Woof. Their search has Good ole boy Mississippi written all over it.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Their biggest issue it seems is some alumni wants to bring back the Old South racist images. It seems like they are running off anyone that is trying to drag the university into the 21st century. I think it is funny but it also makes the entire state look bad especially since most people outside of the south get us confused with them anyway.

BeardoMSU
10-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Their biggest issue it seems is some alumni wants to bring back the Old South racist images. It seems like they are running off anyone that is trying to drag the university into the 21st century. I think it is funny but it also makes the entire state look bad especially since most people outside of the south get us confused with them anyway.

This. Sums it up perfectly.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Whenever Keenum leaves someday, how do we prevent our search from being a compete scam of an operation like theirs was?

Call your representative and ask that we have separate IHL boards for MSU and ole miss.

Bass Chaser
10-04-2019, 08:59 AM
What's the point of the IHL? Why can't each school handle this?

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2019, 09:06 AM
What's the point of the IHL? Why can't each school handle this?

It seems like a consolidation effort to limit expenses.

That being said, as happy that I am that Ole Miss made an underwhelming hire, I'm scared about what may happen when it's MSU turn.

I wish the IHL was a voted on position instead of an appointed position. Seems like that would allow the public's voice to be heard a little more

msbulldog
10-04-2019, 12:26 PM
We don't have a politician like Trent Lott trying to get his man in the position. Lott said a few months back that he supported Chip Pickering. Boyces first move is rumored to be appoint Pickering as Vice Chancellor. Not Chip Pickering the congressman, Chip Pickering the man who left his wife and 5 children for his college sweetheart. The sweetheart whose dad started C-spire, dad is an UM alum. Read a little deeper, it's pretty obvious what went down here.

msbulldog
10-04-2019, 12:27 PM
The original idea behind the formation of the IHL was to have every school represented so no one school could get ahead.

fishwater99
10-04-2019, 01:37 PM
We don't have a politician like Trent Lott trying to get his man in the position. Lott said a few months back that he supported Chip Pickering. Boyces first move is rumored to be appoint Pickering as Vice Chancellor. Not Chip Pickering the congressman, Chip Pickering the man who left his wife and 5 children for his college sweetheart. The sweetheart whose dad started C-spire, dad is an UM alum. Read a little deeper, it's pretty obvious what went down here.

^^This.. It's the same Chip by the way..

Commercecomet24
10-04-2019, 01:54 PM

This! I'm proud to be from Mississippi and the South. I'm not so proud of some of our history and while I firmly believe history doesn't need to be ignored and it needs to be studied so the same mistakes aren't repeated. Those idiots up north still think it's the 1800s and make us all look bad. They need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. I wish a sinkhole would open and just swallow that place!

LibraryDawg
10-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Is this why students and faculty are protesting? Or is there another reason?

BeardoMSU
10-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Is this why students and faculty are protesting? Or is there another reason?

They're protesting because the whole "search" was a total sham by the IHL to get their GOB candidate in the position, a candidate that I imagine will be more on the side of OM's "trudishuns" and the crowd that loves them.

turkish
10-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Who did the protestors want to get the job?

RocketDawg
10-04-2019, 02:31 PM

So did ours when we hired Keenum. It needs to be a national search, or at least regional, and needs to be someone who doesn't hold degrees from the university he's president of. I believe Keenum got all of his degrees from MSU. Boyce is the same ... Bachelor's from OM, Masters from Miss. College, and PhD from OM.

The good ole boy network is present at both schools. In my opinion, we've gone downhill since Dr. Zacharias retired.

RocketDawg
10-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Who did the protestors want to get the job?

They're protesting the search, not so much who the "search" found. It does seem to be somewhat of a scam.

Of course, they probably thought the president of Harvard was on his way, or perhaps the president of Oxford University, the namesake of their town. He wouldn't even have to learn a new town name.

BeardoMSU
10-04-2019, 02:39 PM
They're protesting the search, not so much who the "search" found. It does seem to be somewhat of a scam.

Of course, they probably thought the president of Harvard was on his way, or perhaps the president of Oxford University, the namesake of their town. He wouldn't even have to learn a new town name.

Now this is funny, lol.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2019, 02:55 PM
So did ours when we hired Keenum. It needs to be a national search, or at least regional, and needs to be someone who doesn't hold degrees from the university he's president of. I believe Keenum got all of his degrees from MSU. Boyce is the same ... Bachelor's from OM, Masters from Miss. College, and PhD from OM.

The good ole boy network is present at both schools. In my opinion, we've gone downhill since Dr. Zacharias retired.

Keenum was a fantastic hire.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2019, 02:57 PM
This! I'm proud to be from Mississippi and the South. I'm not so proud of some of our history and while I firmly believe history doesn't need to be ignored and it needs to be studied so the same mistakes aren't repeated. Those idiots up north still think it's the 1800s and make us all look bad. They need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. I wish a sinkhole would open and just swallow that place!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-04-2019, 02:58 PM

I think it's a combo of both.

LOL

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Apparently the guy didn't even interview with anyone on campus. I think that is where a lot of the animosity is coming from. I believe usually there is some type of faculty and/or student interviews that are done. I think the article I read even said he wasn't part of the search committee interviewees. They did a national search and then the guy who was in charge of the national search didn't interview but just got the job.

HRTFXR
10-04-2019, 03:06 PM

I've spent time at Harvard and not once did anyone there tell me that they were the "Ole Miss of the North."

Coursesuper
10-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Bingo, just good ole Mississippi politics at it?s finest. Now the real men that run the show will have willing puppets that won?t buck them at all.

msbulldog
10-04-2019, 03:58 PM
^^This.. It's the same Chip by the way..

Trying a little humor there Fish!

TrapGame
10-04-2019, 04:19 PM
This is the pos that was president of Holmes when a family member was on the board of trustees. He's a two faced bastard. He fits in well with those ass clowns in oxford.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Those idiots don?t realize what?s going on. We should be the ones protesting the process! If they would have utilize the normal process the end of October would have been the normal hire timeline. They just made a shotgun hire to have a president in place to fire Luke and hire Rich Rod as head coach this year.

Dawg_Lover
10-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Following is a fairly comprehensive article from the Memphis WREG Channel 3 website.

Protesters shout down Ole Miss chancellor announcement
POSTED 9:48 AM, OCT 4, 2019, BY AP, UPDATED AT 04:09PM, OCT 4, 2019

OXFORD, Miss. — Mississippi’s former higher education commissioner will be the next chancellor of the University of Mississippi despite protesters shouting down his announcement ceremony.

College Board trustees announced by news release Friday that they had voted unanimously to appoint Glenn Boyce to the post, even as protesters claimed the move to short-circuit the remainder of the selection process proved trustees were corrupt.
After pleading for civility, trustee Ford Dye retreated from an on-campus hotel ballroom in Oxford, as protesters refused to be silent. After police wrestled one student out of the room to chants of “Shame! Shame! Shame!” the university’s police chief announced the event was canceled.

Glenn Boyce (AP photo)
The choice of Boyce, 61, brings to a close a politically sensitive search for a new leader of Ole Miss after former Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter resigned in January after less than three years on the job at one of Mississippi’s two largest universities.
Boyce was involved in the search earlier after the university’s private foundation hired him to meet with influential individuals about what they sought in the next Ole Miss leader. At the time, Boyce denied he was seeking the job, but some people spoke out during the search against speculation that the board would choose him in the end.
Ole Miss has more than 23,000 students between its Oxford campus and the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. The medical center alone has more than 10,000 employees and a budget of more than $1 billion.
The next chancellor will face several challenges. Among the difficulties, Boyce will inherit declining enrollment, flagging fundraising and an ailing football team. Also looming over the incoming leader is the ongoing struggle over how the university should deal with the symbolism of the Confederacy and white supremacy, including a statue of a Confederate soldier on the Oxford campus that administrators are trying to relocate to a less prominent location. Some conservative alumni have been calling for a chancellor who would quell liberal tendencies on campus.
Boyce became Mississippi’s higher education commissioner in 2015 when the College Board trustees who oversee the state’s eight public universities were in a similar jam in seeking a leader. After choosing Mississippi University for Women President Jim Borsig as commissioner, Borsig had backed out and instead returned to lead that university. Boyce had been working for the board as associate commissioner for academic affairs for less than a year at the time. Boyce retired from the commissioner’s position in June 2018.
Boyce has never been a professor on a four-year campus, and it’s unclear how he will be received by faculty and other campus groups who had been warning against an inside hire. Some faculty members Thursday night were calling for protests on Twitter, but it was unclear if they would materialize. Trustees could have opted for further consultations with campus groups, but cut the interview process short.
Boyce served as president of central Mississippi’s Holmes Community College from 2005 to 2014, earlier leading efforts in workforce development for Holmes and serving as assistant superintendent and principal in the Rankin County school district in suburban Jackson. A native of New York state, Boyce has said he came to Mississippi to attend college at Ole Miss without even seeing the campus beforehand. After earning a master’s degree from Baptist-affiliated Mississippi College, he returned to Ole Miss to earn a doctorate in education leadership.
A computer scientist, Vitter was provost at the University of Kansas when he was chosen for the Ole Miss post in October 2015. He began work in 2016 and was paid $600,000 a year. After stepping down in January, Vitter remained as a distinguished professor in the School of Engineering. Larry Sparks, who was in charge of finance and administration, has been serving as interim chancellor.
Trustees refused to renew the contract of the previous chancellor, Dan Jones, citing disagreements over financial management at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. That decision sparked widespread protest.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2019, 07:12 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

Thanks brother!! Right back at ya!

timotheus
10-04-2019, 07:13 PM
I look forward to his dealing with the 20K butts in the seats for football

Saltydog
10-04-2019, 07:28 PM
So, they hire a firm to help them conduct a "nationwide" search and they end up getting someone right in their back yard whose previous experience was the President of one of the smaller community colleges in the State? LOL! Yeah well, I ain't buying it. Either they couldn't find anyone to take the job, which could be true, or this was their plan all along to get someone that will be a puppet or figure head for the real powers behind the scene. The good ole boy network is alive and well. This is Ole Miss at its finest.