PDA

View Full Version : Braves postseason strategy

MaroonFlounder
10-02-2019, 08:14 PM
I just saw where Teheran will not be on the NLDS roster. Wow. Something tells me Snit is gonna manage the pitching utilizing guys normally long relief. Julio will certainly be dealt away in the offseason. If Markakis and Acuna are healthy, who will be 3rd OF? Who is the primary Catcher? Will Acuna bat leadoff? Freddie good to go 100%?

msstate7
10-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Julio really limped down the stretch

Joyce will be the other starting OF with all the cards' rhp. Ortega probably 4th OF

I expect flowers to start tomorrow and McCann Friday

Acuna gonna leadoff

FF won't be 100%. Hopefully he's still good at whatever % he's at

Commercecomet24
10-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Yeah Julio struggles mightily lately. He was a home run waiting to happen. With only needing 3 possibly 4 starting pitchers it's more important to have bats(pinch hitters) on the bench. There'll be plenty of arms in the pen

MetEdDawg
10-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Julio really limped down the stretch

Joyce will be the other starting OF with all the cards' rhp. Ortega probably 4th OF

I expect flowers to start tomorrow and McCann Friday

Acuna gonna leadoff

FF won't be 100%. Hopefully he's still good at whatever % he's at

For what it's worth Freddie said he felt zero pain yesterday and said he felt he could potentially be 100% Thursday and that he was excited about where he was.

As for Julio, it took guts to make the move, but it's the right move unquestionably. He's a liability. We drop him in the off-season and hopefully use some of his salary to resign Keuchel and Donaldson.

msstate7
10-02-2019, 09:06 PM
For what it's worth Freddie said he felt zero pain yesterday and said he felt he could potentially be 100% Thursday and that he was excited about where he was.

As for Julio, it took guts to make the move, but it's the right move unquestionably. He's a liability. We drop him in the off-season and hopefully use some of his salary to resign Keuchel and Donaldson.

I really hope FF is telling the truth, but he said essentially the same thing after sitting out the royal series. He then didn't look like normal Freddie vs Mets. I really, really hope he's normal FF though

KOdawg1
10-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Is it bad that I'm expecting the worst?

Being a Mississippi State and Braves fan will do that to you, lol

msstate7
10-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Is it bad that I'm expecting the worst?

Being a Mississippi State and Braves fan will do that to you, lol

I'm nervous with how DK has pitched last 3 outings, 6.19 era and 1.75 whip (SSS for sure). Anytime your best 2 players' health is a question mark, it has to make you nervous

bobcat91
10-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Getting your ass kicked by LA isnt much of a strategy

klong-dog
10-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not very confident. I'm hoping for a wild crazy atmosphere and we're able to flip the switch. DK has the experience for it but seems to be giving up a sure 3-4 runs each outing. I almost would rather have Folti go game 1, more electric stuff w/potential of shutting the Cards down and then you turn around with DK in game 2 for the soft stuff.

MaroonFlounder
10-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Getting your ass kicked by LA isnt much of a strategy

I'm afraid that is what will ultimately happen. Dodgers are on a-whole-nother level.

Cooterpoot
10-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Lose to LA. That’s the strategy. Can’t wait to see it!

Dawg2003
10-03-2019, 09:25 AM
It does feel like the Braves are limping into the postseason.

msstate7
10-03-2019, 09:36 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/j2qzxX0j/868-BB203-1-AC7-43-F6-B985-D99011600-A2-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gX5w4309)

shoeless joe
10-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Lose to LA. That’s the strategy. Can’t wait to see it!

I don’t think they see LA. Nats winning the wildcard was best thing that could happen to the braves.

shoeless joe
10-03-2019, 10:16 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/j2qzxX0j/868-BB203-1-AC7-43-F6-B985-D99011600-A2-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gX5w4309)

I like having Hamilton in there. And now with 3 catchers snit can use him to run for the starter a little more freely in certain spots.

Lord McBuckethead
10-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Lose.

parabrave
10-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Main thing is we are going to need to light up the boards and that means Dansby needs to get his head out of a$$ and get hits when men are in scoring position/

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Beat the Cardinals, beat the Dodgers, and then get our ass kicked by the Astros. Houston is going to rape face. They have pretty much the top 2 pitchers in baseball. It is going to be hard to win a series with Verlander and Cole throwing for the Astros.

MaroonFlounder
10-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Something about the Cards in the playoffs. They will win this series and advance.

bobcat91
10-03-2019, 08:16 PM
I don’t think they see LA. Nats winning the wildcard was best thing that could happen to the braves.

Might want to beat the Cardinals first. Lol

Todd4State
10-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Something about the Cards in the playoffs. They will win this series and advance.

That's a big road win for the Cardinals over a very good Braves team but they still need two more. Flaherty has been the best pitcher in the game since the All-Star break and I hope that continues.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2019, 08:19 PM
I knew the bullpen was gonna cost us in the post season offense bailed em out all year but you can't blow leads in the playoffs. Luke Jackson should never ever pitch in any meaningful game

msstate7
10-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Things look like it's set up for a braves' win... set up guy out there for 8th and closer for 9th. God shows once again that He hates the braves by removing martin's oblique. God's vendetta against Atlanta sport teams is getting ridiculous.

Jeez... it's over BTW. Flaherty is gonna mow the braves down

Dawg61
10-03-2019, 08:34 PM
God doesn't hate the Braves it's just Karma. I stopped watching my shitty Giants months ago and didn't notice the Braves took AIDS Melancon off our backs. Thanks!

shoeless joe
10-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Yeah the Martin injury was tough and it it doesn’t happen braves prolly win. That being said both managers over managed the hell outta that game. Neither one wanted to hafta answer any tough questions. Fried shoulda went back out for the 8th. He was absolutely filthy and a few more pitches weren’t gonna keep him from being ready for game 4. Now they just gotta hope to get to game 4.

I’m a big snit fan but he shoulda sat back and just let his guys win it like they were about to do.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Things look like it's set up for a braves' win... set up guy out there for 8th and closer for 9th. God shows once again that He hates the braves by removing martin's oblique. God's vendetta against Atlanta sport teams is getting ridiculous.

Jeez... it's over BTW. Flaherty is gonna mow the braves down

Baseball karma never got over taking down the Teepee in '82.

msstate7
10-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Hope springs eternal I suppose, but after a couple cool down hours, I think the braves rebound today. The braves were a 97-win team this year that went 8-12 after a day off. For some reason, they suck after an open date. Donaldson snaps out of it today, and the braves win, somehow against one of the best. Kinda like the cards taking down the hottest pitcher on the planet in 2012 wildcard game, medlen.

msstate7
10-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Yeah the Martin injury was tough and it it doesn’t happen braves prolly win. That being said both managers over managed the hell outta that game. Neither one wanted to hafta answer any tough questions. Fried shoulda went back out for the 8th. He was absolutely filthy and a few more pitches weren’t gonna keep him from being ready for game 4. Now they just gotta hope to get to game 4.

I’m a big snit fan but he shoulda sat back and just let his guys win it like they were about to do.

I'm as hard on snit as anyone, but I think Martin for 8th was correct decision. Just unfortunate how it worked out. Now I wouldn't have let Wong face melancon in the 9th with newcomb out there. Oh well, let's get em today... braves definitely have hands full with flaherty

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2019, 07:52 AM
And the players called out Acuna for not running out his hit. Little things like that make a big impact in the playoffs.

msstate7
10-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Julio replaces Martin

Commercecomet24
10-04-2019, 10:24 AM

This. I hate the way managers do things in the playoffs(and some in regular season). Starters only going 3-5 innings. Pay starters all that money and then don't let them do their job. It's ridiculous in my opinion. They pull pitchers so quick and then have to use all their bench players to pinch hit. Oh well I guess I'm just an old fart who remembers good starting pitchers going 7-8-9 innings

TALL DAWG
10-04-2019, 11:07 AM
That's a big road win for the Cardinals over a very good Braves team but they still need two more. Flaherty has been the best pitcher in the game since the All-Star break and I hope that continues.

We can only hope!!
Fly Redbirds Fly!

KOdawg1
10-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Folty pitching in a hot day game is not good. He melts like a popsicle

KOdawg1
10-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Folty pitching in a hot day game is not good. He melts like a popsicle

Lol, so much for this.

6 IP, 0 runs, 2 hits, 7 Ks.
Nice job Folty

KOdawg1
10-04-2019, 05:27 PM
7 IP, 0 runs, 3 hits

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Duvall may have earned a start in the next game, huh?

Commercecomet24
10-04-2019, 06:30 PM
One thing about this braves team they're resilient. Wheels could've come off after the crapshow last night and facing flaherty but they gotta done. Keep grinding!

Todd4State
10-04-2019, 09:14 PM
The Cardinals need to cut out the sound bites about the Tomahawk Chop and Acuna's HR trot and worry about laying off of sliders out of the zone.

Hopefully Wainwright has one of the games of his life because the last time the Cardinals faced Soroka that had zero clue how to hit him.

msstate7
10-04-2019, 09:23 PM
The Cardinals need to cut out the sound bites about the Tomahawk Chop and Acuna's HR trot and worry about laying off of sliders out of the zone.

Hopefully Wainwright has one of the games of his life because the last time the Cardinals faced Soroka that had zero clue how to hit him.

Soroka has been good all year, but he has tailed off some down the stretch. Probably tiring out some

Commercecomet24
10-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Soroka has been good all year, but he has tailed off some down the stretch. Probably tiring out some

Soroka got ice water in his veins. That sinker of his in St Louis gonna be tough on the cards. Let's hope we can score a few

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2019, 09:58 PM
I'm guessing Fried will no longer start game 4. He's pitched 2 straight relief games

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2019, 11:02 AM

A game I always dread - Wainwright against the Braves. Hard to root against a hometown guy. You should have seen him pitch in high school. He was the most dominant high school pitcher I've ever seen. Dang good athlete too.

RougeDawg
10-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Braves gonna Brave. Does not matter. They will not beat dodgers or anything the American League has. Braves are probably 7-8th best team in playoffs. Do not play as cohesively as the other playoff teams. Still too many Me Me Me guys on the roster. Watch the other playoff teams and compare to the braves. Other teams are actual teams where every guy cheers every other guy. Sure some braves players do it, but the sincerity is clearly lacking. Like their win totals in the playoffs.

Maroonthirteen
10-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Go Cards.

msstate7
10-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Braves gonna Brave. Does not matter. They will not beat dodgers or anything the American League has. Braves are probably 7-8th best team in playoffs. Do not play as cohesively as the other playoff teams. Still too many Me Me Me guys on the roster. Watch the other playoff teams and compare to the braves. Other teams are actual teams where every guy cheers every other guy. Sure some braves players do it, but the sincerity is clearly lacking. Like their win totals in the playoffs.

What's an example of a brave lacking sincerity in pulling for fellow braves?

Commercecomet24
10-05-2019, 01:40 PM
What's an example of a brave lacking sincerity in pulling for fellow braves?

Yeah, You don't have as many comeback wins as the Braves did this year when guys are just playing for themselves. This braves team is actually pretty scrappy and overcomes adversity well.

MaroonFlounder
10-05-2019, 03:41 PM

That's the biggest crock of shit I've ever read.

Every team in the league would take Freddie Freeman, McCann, Culberson, and the young duo Ozzie and Acuna. Ozzie could have gone to another team but settled on a contract way less than what he's worth to continue playing with his best friend.

All the guys I listed are as good a "team" guys as you'll ever find. Acuna has made a couple of selfish-looking plays, but maturity is starting to take hold. Charlie took a pitch to the face, or he would be a factor, not just in the dugout.

msstate7
10-05-2019, 03:44 PM
That's the biggest crock of shit I've ever read.

Every team in the league would take Freddie Freeman, McCann, Culberson, and the young duo Ozzie and Acuna. Ozzie could have gone to another team but settled on a contract way less than what he's worth to continue playing with his best friend.

All the guys I listed are as good a "team" guys as you'll ever find. Acuna has made a couple of selfish-looking plays, but maturity is starting to take hold. Charlie took a pitch to the face, or he would be a factor, not just in the dugout.

Ender had to drag his leg to a score a run on with a tore up hamstring. Me me me teams don't do that

shoeless joe
10-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Just when I think rouge has made a couple halfway decent posts he makes a baseball post and it all goes to shit...

Acuna makes selfish immature plays but I don’t think one can say he’s a bad teammate. Camargo was playing with selfish body language but that and his production improved when he came back up in September. But I don’t think there is a bad teammate on the team. In fact I’d argue that this may be the most cohesive team in the postseason.

RougeDawg
10-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Just when I think rouge has made a couple halfway decent posts he makes a baseball post and it all goes to shit...

Acuna makes selfish immature plays but I don?t think one can say he?s a bad teammate. Camargo was playing with selfish body language but that and his production improved when he came back up in September. But I don?t think there is a bad teammate on the team. In fact I?d argue that this may be the most cohesive team in the postseason.

I said compare them to every other playoff team and they are the least like a true team. They have me me me guys who haven’t learned to be real teammates yet. That’s what it takes to win it all. Not sure why that was not conveyed from my point. It says “amongst all playoff teams”.

Altuve was right back on the top step yesterday after hitting the go ahead 2 run bomb. He was clapping with the fans to MVP for Bregman.

My bad for pointing out the obvious that the braves are the less cohesive team in the playoffs. Carry on believing in the Chop.

klong-dog
10-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Um no. You're clueless about this Braves team.

msstate7
10-06-2019, 06:43 PM
God doesn't hate the Braves it's just Karma. I stopped watching my shitty Giants months ago and didn't notice the Braves took AIDS Melancon off our backs. Thanks!

2 straight saves

msstate7
10-06-2019, 06:43 PM
What a huge win! Got to finish tomorrow... I want no part of flaherty

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Carlos Martinez should be released after that. The Cardinals deserved to lose after that piss poor decision by Shildt.

The reason Martinez is in the bullpen in the first place is because he didn't do his rehab like he was supposed to. He's a lazy POS.

shoeless joe
10-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Carlos Martinez should be released after that. The Cardinals deserved to lose after that piss poor decision by Shildt.

The reason Martinez is in the bullpen in the first place is because he didn't do his rehab like he was supposed to. He's a lazy POS.

I love his stuff but he appeared to be more worried about his beef with Acuna than saving the game. I’ll take it.

And I thought another example of over managing. As a braves fan I was ecstatic when they walked McCann to pitch to dansby. He’s swinging it better rite now than anybody. And credit to snit for pushing a few correct buttons late.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 06:56 PM

How bout them Braves! This team is scrappy and has heart and yeah they play for each other! Big win!

msstate7
10-06-2019, 06:57 PM
I love his stuff but he appeared to be more worried about his beef with Acuna than saving the game. I?ll take it.

And I thought another example of over managing. As a braves fan I was ecstatic when they walked McCann to pitch to dansby. He?s swinging it better rite now than anybody. And credit to snit for pushing a few correct buttons late.

Snit messes up some too. Hech batting in the 9th was bc snit pulled Joyce. Joyce vs Martinez would've been a good matchup for braves. It worked out though

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 06:58 PM
I love his stuff but he appeared to be more worried about his beef with Acuna than saving the game. I’ll take it.

And I thought another example of over managing. As a braves fan I was ecstatic when they walked McCann to pitch to dansby. He’s swinging it better rite now than anybody. And credit to snit for pushing a few correct buttons late.

I was glad they walked Mccann too. It was an ignorant ass move by the cards. Never put the winning run on base.

shoeless joe
10-06-2019, 06:59 PM

We’ll see how the cards rebound cuz that was a tuff way to lose. Resiliency is one of the braves strengths. I don’t know enough about the cards to know what to expect from them.

msstate7
10-06-2019, 07:00 PM
So, mikolas vs Dallas tomorrow?

shoeless joe
10-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Snit messes up some too. Hech batting in the 9th was bc snit pulled Joyce. Joyce vs Martinez would've been a good matchup for braves. It worked out though

The way Martinez has been throwing I like him batter right on right. His change up is his best pitch. And hech is taking some confident hacks rite now. I love the way he’s swinging it and his was a good at bat despite the outcome. Sometimes the book is wrong...just ask Shildt rite about now.

shoeless joe
10-06-2019, 07:07 PM
So, mikolas vs Dallas tomorrow?

I throw Dallas if I?m snit. Folty will be on regular rest if it goes 5.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 07:40 PM
I throw Dallas if I?m snit. Folty will be on regular rest if it goes 5.

This

msstate7
10-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Mlb at bat app has Dakota Hudson as starter for cards

shoeless joe
10-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Get to him early...gonna be amped and may not have the sink early on.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 09:33 PM

Martinez is absolutely lazy. Again- which is why he is in the bullpen to start with. And you're right- he's more worried about his hair color and people respecting him while he's blowing kisses at Billy Hamilton. The Cardinals tried to trade him at the deadline and no one wanted him.

I was glad they walked Mccann too. It was an ignorant ass move by the cards. Never put the winning run on base.

To both of you- yep. Total Bianco move right there. Sabermetirics will probably say I'm wrong about this- but to me it sure does seem like when a team does that it bites them in the ass. Shildt was outmanaged. He insists on using players like Bader and Martinez that are struggling even though there are better options. Which is why the Cardinals don't deserve to win this series to be honest.

We’ll see how the cards rebound cuz that was a tuff way to lose. Resiliency is one of the braves strengths. I don’t know enough about the cards to know what to expect from them.

They'll play hard. But this was devastating loss and in the postseason that is a lot harder to come back from. I'm not surprised that they couldn't hit Soroka- see another one of my posts in this thread as evidence. I bet the Cardinals lose tomorrow.

Hudson was the announced starter before the series started and he will start tomorrow.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Get to him early...gonna be amped and may not have the sink early on.

I don't know if he will be amped or not. He's a lot better at home than the road though.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Martinez is absolutely lazy. Again- which is why he is in the bullpen to start with. And you're right- he's more worried about his hair color and people respecting him while he's blowing kisses at Billy Hamilton. The Cardinals tried to trade him at the deadline and no one wanted him.

To both of you- yep. Total Bianco move right there. Sabermetirics will probably say I'm wrong about this- but to me it sure does seem like when a team does that it bites them in the ass. Shildt was outmanaged. He insists on using players like Bader and Martinez that are struggling even though there are better options. Which is why the Cardinals don't deserve to win this series to be honest.

They'll play hard. But this was devastating loss and in the postseason that is a lot harder to come back from. I'm not surprised that they couldn't hit Soroka- see another one of my posts in this thread as evidence. I bet the Cardinals lose tomorrow.

Hudson was the announced starter before the series started and he will start tomorrow.

Todd sabremetrics or not I can tell you you're right about not putting that winning run on. It's baseball 101. It almost always backfires. I've seen it to many times. Wainwright pitches his butt off as he always does! The only way I would do it is if it was someone like bonds or trout with a base open like that.

BrunswickDawg
10-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Todd sabremetrics or not I can tell you you're right about not putting that winning run on. It's baseball 101. It almost always backfires. I've seen it to many times. Wainwright pitches his butt off as he always does! The only way I would do it is if it was someone like bonds or trout with a base open like that.

Waino was great today. I hated to see him lose. But, I was glad to Dansby come up big and tie the game and spark the rally even more. I've got personal connections to both those guys, and seeing them come up big in the playoffs is awesome. They are both outstanding people.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Waino was great today. I hated to see him lose. But, I was glad to Dansby come up big and tie the game and spark the rally even more. I've got personal connections to both those guys, and seeing them come up big in the playoffs is awesome. They are both outstanding people.

That's awesome! It's always cool when you know the folks that are out there playing. The last 2 games have been old school pitching matchups and I've loved it! Wainwright is so clutch. Dude is a money player! Huge huge hit by Dansby!

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 09:58 PM

I think I would still pitch to Bonds or Trout honestly because if they hit it out the game is just tied if there is no one on.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 10:00 PM
I think I would still pitch to Bonds or Trout honestly because if they hit it out the game is just tied if there is no one on.

Oh yeah if no one on definitely pitch to them. I was referring to like today's situation when the cards put the winning run on base.

Todd4State
10-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah if no one on definitely pitch to them. I was referring to like today's situation when the cards put the winning run on base.

Gotcha. I honestly would still pitch to them. At least that way if I get beat at least I didn't anger the baseball gods in the process.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Gotcha. I honestly would still pitch to them. At least that way if I get beat at least I didn't anger the baseball gods in the process.

Lol good point!

shoeless joe
10-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Neither team deserves to win this game. Cards have chinked the hell outta the braves all series and the braves not doing the little things on offense. This game should be outta reach by now.

MaroonFlounder
10-07-2019, 06:02 PM
These goofy announcers are gonna cry if STL doesn't win this game. They are all in on the cards

RocketDawg
10-07-2019, 06:16 PM
These goofy announcers are gonna cry if STL doesn't win this game. They are all in on the cards

Yeah, I guess they're the St Louis regular season announcers.

Once again, the Braves do what they do in post season.

starkvegasdawg
10-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I guess they're the St Louis regular season announcers.

Once again, the Braves do what they do in post season.

They'll need to lose game five 1-0 to be true to form.

KOdawg1
10-07-2019, 06:19 PM
My health cant take this shit

HereComesTheSpiral
10-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Yadi
Yadi
Yadi

shoeless joe
10-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Just lost all respect for yadi. Have always loved how he plays the game but that was low class. I know he’ll get a pass because of who he is and I know there’s been a beef with he and Mart?nez and Acuna but that was horseshit.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 06:27 PM
FF is killing this team. Wish our Star 1b would show up like theirs

KOdawg1
10-07-2019, 06:28 PM
So do we roll with Folty Wednesday? That's a major gamble imo. He's very hit or miss, but just happened to be a hit last week.

I fully expect to lose in heartbreaking fashion regardless.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 06:29 PM
So do we roll with Folty Wednesday? That's a major gamble imo. He's very hit or miss, but just happened to be a hit last week.

8-1 cards

Dodgers sweep cards

Todd4State
10-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Just lost all respect for yadi. Have always loved how he plays the game but that was low class. I know he’ll get a pass because of who he is and I know there’s been a beef with he and Mart?nez and Acuna but that was horseshit.

Us number 4’s can be assholes sometimes.

shoeless joe
10-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Us number 4’s can be assholes sometimes.

Other than machado throwing his bat at the A’s 3rd baseman a few yrs back I’ve never seen anything like that. Especially from someone of his ilk.

I don’t like the things Acuna does at times but for a respected vet to respond like that is disappointing. I’ve always felt he was an ambassador for how the game is supposed to be played but it appears he was merely needing an excuse to stoop to that level.

MaroonFlounder
10-07-2019, 07:41 PM

What did Yadi do? I left the game when Tehran came in. That was a give up move. Julio checked out mentally when he was left off the roster. I knew he wouldn't be able to extend the game.

shoeless joe
10-07-2019, 07:49 PM
What did Yadi do? I left the game when Tehran came in. That was a give up move. Julio checked out mentally when he was left off the roster. I knew he wouldn't be able to extend the game.

Threw his bat and helmet into center field. Don’t know if it was towards Acuna or just that position but it was intentional. I’m not a fan of the throat slash but that in itself didn’t bother me as Acuna does something similar at times but the fact that he did it solidified that the whole display was in response to Acuna.

Acuna deserves criticism for some of the things he does on the field but someone’s criticism rings hollow when they resort to the same antics.

As for the throat slash gesture I’m surprised the commissioners office hasn’t stepped in like in other sports. When Acuna did a similar gesture after the final out yesterday I expected something to be said about it but I guess it wasn’t. I guess even baseball is about to pass me by...and I’m only in my mid 30s!! I think there’s a John conlee song about that....

msstate7
10-07-2019, 07:52 PM

https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1181356573291089920?s=21

https://twitter.com/d_rex_5/status/1181349282865176578?s=21

shoeless joe
10-07-2019, 08:08 PM
https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1181356573291089920?s=21

https://twitter.com/d_rex_5/status/1181349282865176578?s=21

I know this is gonna be a homer take but I really don’t think what Acuna does is a throat slash...but it is a gesture that is very similar. Acuna’s is definitely not as blatant as what yadi did twice.

What is really unfortunate IMO is the fact that Acuna needs to see veteran players NOT reacting like that so he can recognize the immaturity of his own actions. And with it being another Latin player that is magnified ten fold. When he sees someone like yadi doing these shenanigans he doesn’t recognize his own actions need to be addressed. Again...I’m an old school traditionalist when it comes to the game I love. I think this stuff spills over into next year on both sides regardless of how this series plays out.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Folty has been pretty much our best pitcher in the second half. I have a ton of confidence in him getting it done.

Todd4State
10-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Other than machado throwing his bat at the A’s 3rd baseman a few yrs back I’ve never seen anything like that. Especially from someone of his ilk.

I don’t like the things Acuna does at times but for a respected vet to respond like that is disappointing. I’ve always felt he was an ambassador for how the game is supposed to be played but it appears he was merely needing an excuse to stoop to that level.

Meh. I don't have a problem with Acuna or Yadi doing it. You get a game winning hit/sac fly in an emotional game to keep the season going- it's fine. Yadi has always been a very emotional player his entire career- if not fiery for sure.

What I don't like honestly is someone like Carlos Martinez blowing kisses at baserunners and strutting after he strikes someone out but then Acuna shows some emotion after rocking him and Carlos wants him to respect the game? C'mon Carlos.

msstate7
10-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Meh. I don't have a problem with Acuna or Yadi doing it. You get a game winning hit/sac fly in an emotional game to keep the season going- it's fine. Yadi has always been a very emotional player his entire career- if not fiery for sure.

What I don't like honestly is someone like Carlos Martinez blowing kisses at baserunners and strutting after he strikes someone out but then Acuna shows some emotion after rocking him and Carlos wants him to respect the game? C'mon Carlos.

I don't care about this stuff much either. Now if a brave gets a walk off hit Wednesday though, he better do cartwheels down the right field line haha

Todd4State
10-07-2019, 10:22 PM
I don't care about this stuff much either. Now if a brave gets a walk off hit Wednesday though, he better do cartwheels down the right field line haha

If someone gets a game winning hit in the postseason to me it's more normal to do cartwheels than it would be to just sheepishly walk off the field.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2019, 07:27 AM

I don't know that the Braves can say too much about catchers confronting players about antics when we have Brian McCann on the team. Have y'all forgotten this?

https://media.giphy.com/media/ojOMT1TIq4QsE/giphy.gif

That being said - I don't mind either Acuna showing his emotion or Yadi showing his. Frankly, baseball NEEDS more passion. Give me Bob Horner coming out of the clubhouse to threaten to club Kurt Bevacqua and Champ Summers. Give me brush back pitches. Give me bat flips. Give me AL HRABOSKY! What you don't need to give me are bean balls, and lectures about how to play the game "the right way" when it comes to emotion. Players should show emotion - it makes the game so much more interesting and engaging. It's the damn playoffs. I want the teams pissed when they lose, and pissed at each other.

ETA: This is one of my Top 10 Braves Antics - ranks up there with the fans pelting the field on the "infield fly rule" no-call, but not as high as the '84 Braves/Padres war, or Pascual Perez getting lost on I-285.

RocketCityDawg
10-08-2019, 09:17 AM
If someone gets a game winning hit in the postseason to me it's more normal to do cartwheels than it would be to just sheepishly walk off the field.

Cartwheels yes. Celebration yes. Strutting around yes. Throwing your bat into CF, presumably toward Acuna no. Over the top throat slash no.

shoeless joe
10-08-2019, 10:20 AM
I don't know that the Braves can say too much about catchers confronting players about antics when we have Brian McCann on the team. Have y'all forgotten this?

https://media.giphy.com/media/ojOMT1TIq4QsE/giphy.gif

That being said - I don't mind either Acuna showing his emotion or Yadi showing his. Frankly, baseball NEEDS more passion. Give me Bob Horner coming out of the clubhouse to threaten to club Kurt Bevacqua and Champ Summers. Give me brush back pitches. Give me bat flips. Give me AL HRABOSKY! What you don't need to give me are bean balls, and lectures about how to play the game "the right way" when it comes to emotion. Players should show emotion - it makes the game so much more interesting and engaging. It's the damn playoffs. I want the teams pissed when they lose, and pissed at each other.

ETA: This is one of my Top 10 Braves Antics - ranks up there with the fans pelting the field on the "infield fly rule" no-call, but not as high as the '84 Braves/Padres war, or Pascual Perez getting lost on I-285.

Not sure of your angle here. Mccann confronted Gomez because he was acting an ass and yelling at maholm as he rounded the bases. After confronting him McCann did not then revert to the same behavior he disliked from Gomez.

Which is my major problem with Molina. If he’s going to take exception to Acuna...and I have no problem with him taking exception...then don’t participate in that very behavior yourself. It’s a bad look for Molina and doesn’t set the example that young players like Acuna need.

But like I said earlier, he’ll get a pass because of who he is...which to me makes it all that much worse. No matter how tomorrow goes the first game between these two teams next year will be very interesting

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Not sure of your angle here. Mccann confronted Gomez because he was acting an ass and yelling at maholm as he rounded the bases. After confronting him McCann did not then revert to the same behavior he disliked from Gomez.

Which is my major problem with Molina. If he’s going to take exception to Acuna...and I have no problem with him taking exception...then don’t participate in that very behavior yourself. It’s a bad look for Molina and doesn’t set the example that young players like Acuna need.

But like I said earlier, he’ll get a pass because of who he is...which to me makes it all that much worse. No matter how tomorrow goes the first game between these two teams next year will be very interesting

I didn't realize that Yadi had thrown a bat, etc. - That is out of line. I thought it was referring to some of the jawing he had done all series.

My point about McCann is we tend to love it when it is "our" guy, but not when it is someone else. But, that is kind of moot now that I know Yadi was throwing stuff.

msudawglb
10-08-2019, 11:05 AM
I didn't realize that Yadi had thrown a bat, etc. - That is out of line. I thought it was referring to some of the jawing he had done all series.

My point about McCann is we tend to love it when it is "our" guy, but not when it is someone else. But, that is kind of moot now that I know Yadi was throwing stuff.

Goodness, y?all sound like Brave homers. Yadi has had a sensational 17 year career. He just had a hit to tie the game and a hit to win the game at home in what may be his last game in St Louis. Let him throw his bat over the fence if he wants.

Hell, Acuna can do dance steps on his way around the bases with a 3rd inning HR.

Dawg2003
10-08-2019, 11:10 AM
I just don't get the big deal with bat flips. Especially if it's a walk off.

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Game 5.. Here we go..

I like Snit starting Duvall. He's been a spark in this series, so why not roll with him? We've faced Flaherty a good bit this year. He either shuts us down or we pounce on him. I fully expect to get my heart ripped out, but let's roll anyway

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Game 5.. Here we go..

I like Snit starting Duvall. He's been a spark in this series, so why not roll with him? We've faced Flaherty a good bit this year. He either shuts us down or we pounce on him. I fully expect to get my heart ripped out, but let's roll anyway

Yep Lets GO!

Dawg2003
10-09-2019, 04:15 PM
I just have a bad feeling about this. The team limped into the post season and has been holding on for dear life ever since.

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 04:16 PM
Over before it started

msstate7
10-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Freddie Freeman cost the braves this series.

parabrave
10-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Well Braves fans its been nice. Should'[ve started Sokora. Now AA go out and get us some pitching including the next craig Kimbrell

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 04:23 PM
The Braves: choking in the post season since 1996

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Freddie Freeman cost the braves this series.

Absolutely he did

shoeless joe
10-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Epic choke job.

Dawg2003
10-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Dear god. What an absolute disaster. It's worse than I ever imagined.

msstate7
10-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Absolutely he did

I absolutely love FF, but he should be booed loud and hard

msstate7
10-09-2019, 04:26 PM
If there's an consolation, we can bean the hell out of Molina. If we don't, this choke job is even worse

timotheus
10-09-2019, 04:29 PM
next year

KOdawg1
I fully expect the Braves to put up about 5 or 6 just to get your hopes up, only to allow the choking to continue

Commercecomet24
Should've known better just dang! Pathetic! Absolutely pathetic!

shoeless joe
Dropped foul tip on the first batter changed the whole inning. But the series has been won and lost by the cards stars having unselfish approaches at the plate. Other than Acuna the braves big bats have not. I’d like to complain about the cards dinking and dunking to win game 4 but the truth is that their hitters willingness to shorten up and go the other way allowed for those hits

Al the while Freddie and Donaldson are swinging from their ass and missing pitches by a fort and a half.

msstate7
10-09-2019, 04:30 PM
If FF makes a play he makes 99.9% of the time, it's 1-0. FF is worst than bad this series. What a joke he is this series

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Fire Snit and make the moves that need to be made this offseason AA, or you can be fired too. This is pathetic

msstate7
10-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Wanna good joke? FF calling out Acuna after game 1! FF was a total chump this series, and called out a kid who had a monster series. Hey FF, how about you do something in this series before calling someone out

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Wanna good joke? FF calling out Acuna after game 1! FF was a total chump this series, and called out a kid who had a monster series. Hey FF, how about you do something in this series before calling someone out

Yeah at least acuna plays with no fear and has some nuts. To me it looks like him and Ozzie are the only one with any balls.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Damn, if you were just born the last time the Braves made it out of the first round, you can legally buy cigarettes.

MaroonFlounder
10-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Thanks to the Braves for not even showing up. I would clean house after this.

shoeless joe
10-09-2019, 04:59 PM
The stench of this choke is gonna hang around for a while. Had the lead in the 8th of the two losses and then this.

msstate7
10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
The stench of this choke is gonna hang around for a while. Had the lead in the 8th of the two losses and then this.

What makes it almost unbearable for me is that FF and Donaldson are the main culprits. Supposed to be our rocks, and they folded like lawn chair

starkvegasdawg
10-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Seen more fight in silly putty.

bobcat91
10-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Didnt see this coming. Have mercy and run rule this game.

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Definitely gotta do some housecleaning.

shoeless joe
10-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Definitely gotta do some housecleaning.

In what way?

Realistically this team is a couple jam shots away from the NLCS, and at the same time a Chris Martin injury away from the NLCS,... which is where most thought they should be. Now I’m a HUGE fan of snit, and he managed himself rite outta games 1 and 4, but do u make that change? I don’t sign Donaldson long term. If he’ll take a 2 yr deal with an option so be it. Obviously Markakis is gone...but what other changes need to be made?

msstate7
10-09-2019, 05:59 PM
I'm still pissed, but future is bright still. Maybe this embarrassing exit will be the motivation for the players and the FO to get over the hump next season. Terrible finish to a really good season.

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 06:13 PM
In what way?

Realistically this team is a couple jam shots away from the NLCS, and at the same time a Chris Martin injury away from the NLCS,... which is where most thought they should be. Now I?m a HUGE fan of snit, and he managed himself rite outta games 1 and 4, but do u make that change? I don?t sign Donaldson long term. If he?ll take a 2 yr deal with an option so be it. Obviously Markakis is gone...but what other changes need to be made?

Keuchel has not been worth it. Both catchers are not good, Julio needs to go most of the bullpen, you can't see that?

I said SOME housecleaning I didn't say get rid of everyone

Turfdawg67
10-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Only thing worse than a State fan is a Braves fan. And if you are both? Well...

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Lots of big decisions coming up. Do you resign JD or roll with Riley? I don?t think Riley is a good MLB hitter imho. You also need to sign another top end SP and find a closer

msstate7
10-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Lots of big decisions coming up. Do you resign JD or roll with Riley? I don?t think Riley is a good MLB hitter imho. You also need to sign another top end SP and find a closer

Definitely keep Donaldson, if possible

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Need a real mlb catcher, starting pitcher, a closer and some more bullpen help.

shoeless joe
10-09-2019, 06:42 PM
Keuchel has not been worth it. Both catchers are not good, Julio needs to go most of the bullpen, you can't see that?

I said SOME housecleaning I didn't say get rid of everyone

To me that’s not cleaning house. That’s some moves that need made. Housecleaning to me means new coaches and top tier moves. I agree with most everything you mentioned

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 07:05 PM
To me that?s not cleaning house. That?s some moves that need made. Housecleaning to me means new coaches and top tier moves. I agree with most everything you mentioned

I guess I didn't word it very well but when I said some housecleaning I just meant cut bait with dead wood and go fill in the holes. Yeah I'm willing to ride with snitker a while longer but he needs to get in the playoffs and win a series. I like snitker but he overmanaged this series bad. I was afraid the bullpen was gonna cost us in the playoffs and i was right. Could've won every game but this one. Apologize for the misunderstanding.

Todd4State
10-09-2019, 07:34 PM
I won't rub too much salt in this wound. I've watched a lot of the Braves players when they were M-Braves so it's not like I hate the Braves or anything like that.

I'm proud of the Cardinals for coming back from down 2-1 and then down late in game four to win. The Cardinals struggled for awhile until Flaherty turned the corner and it has been great to see a MSU Bulldog- Dakota Hudson- being such a big part of the team this year. Molina to me was the MVP of the series. He's a HOF catcher for a reason and the best I have ever seen in person. (I've never seen Johnny Bench in person) Hopefully Carlos Martinez can hit the re-set button and Adam Wainwright can continue to pitch well. Marcell Ozuna is streaky as is Goldschmidt and a lot of times the team that wins the World Series isn't the best team- it's the hottest.

Todd4State
10-09-2019, 07:35 PM

Riley if he's healthy.

shoeless joe
10-09-2019, 07:36 PM
I guess I didn't word it very well but when I said some housecleaning I just meant cut bait with dead wood and go fill in the holes. Yeah I'm willing to ride with snitker a while longer but he needs to get in the playoffs and win a series. I like snitker but he overmanaged this series bad. I was afraid the bullpen was gonna cost us in the playoffs and i was right. Could've won every game but this one. Apologize for the misunderstanding.

Absolutely. When you throw 5-7 pitchers a game then your bound to bring in someone that isn’t on their game. I felt like there were multiple times when he should have ridden a guy for another 3 outs versus bringing in someone different. But managers don’t wanna answer the questions about leaving someone in...going to the pen and that guy just being off seems to catch less heat.

msstate7
10-09-2019, 07:53 PM
McCann is retiring

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Absolutely. When you throw 5-7 pitchers a game then your bound to bring in someone that isn’t on their game. I felt like there were multiple times when he should have ridden a guy for another 3 outs versus bringing in someone different. But managers don’t wanna answer the questions about leaving someone in...going to the pen and that guy just being off seems to catch less heat.

Agree wholeheartedly. I learned years ago as a young coach if a pitchers going good just let him go until he's done. If a pitchers getting someone out and not stressed ride him a little while but you're right they scared to answer Those questions

Commercecomet24
10-09-2019, 08:08 PM
McCann is retiring

It was time. Always remember him as one of those baby braves. He just got old and it happens to all of us.

KOdawg1
10-09-2019, 11:32 PM
Want some salt in the wound? The Nats are about to beat the Dodgers and advance to the NLCS. Had the Braves taken care of business, they would be facing a team that they dominated all year with a chance to go to the WS. It really doesn?t matter who wins between the Nats and Cards bc the Astros will destroy either, but it is pretty frustrating that the Braves has a legitimate shot at a WS appearance this year

Dawg61
10-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Wouldn't give the trophy to the Astros just yet. Rays, Yankees and NL winner are all gonna be really fired up for the upset and this playoff is starting to feel like the year of the dog.

msstate7
10-10-2019, 05:53 AM
Want some salt in the wound? The Nats are about to beat the Dodgers and advance to the NLCS. Had the Braves taken care of business, they would be facing a team that they dominated all year with a chance to go to the WS. It really doesn?t matter who wins between the Nats and Cards bc the Astros will destroy either, but it is pretty frustrating that the Braves has a legitimate shot at a WS appearance this year

I've actually gotta pull for cards now

shoeless joe
10-10-2019, 06:36 AM

Not surprising...I’ve been calling for a Nats vs braves NLCS since August. Guess I was half right.

shoeless joe
10-10-2019, 06:36 AM
I've actually gotta pull for cards now

Nah...without Harper the Nats have some likeable players. Something I used to think about the cards

msstate7
10-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Nah...without Harper the Nats have some likeable players. Something I used to think about the cards

Trea turner, Soto, and Strasburg are in top 10 of my most hated players; Rhys Hoskins is #1

shoeless joe
10-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Trea turner, Soto, and Strasburg are top 10 of my most hated players; Rhys Hoskins is #1

Interesting. I?m not a big strausburg fan but the other two are fun to watch. Throw in rendon and I could like their team in another division.

I will be pulling hard for the Nats to win it in 4. And they have the pitching to match up with Houston.

Tbonewannabe
10-10-2019, 09:10 AM
At this point, I just want anyone but the Yankees to win it. I would kind of like the Cards vs Rays just because a MSU player off the 2016 SEC Championship team would get a World Series ring. I have been trying to keep up but has Nate Lowe played yet for the Rays? I think he is on the postseason roster but I haven't seen him get in a game yet.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2019, 09:56 AM
At this point, I just want anyone but the Yankees to win it. I would kind of like the Cards vs Rays just because a MSU player off the 2016 SEC Championship team would get a World Series ring. I have been trying to keep up but has Nate Lowe played yet for the Rays? I think he is on the postseason roster but I haven't seen him get in a game yet.

Yeah anyone but the Yankees please!

HereComesTheSpiral
10-10-2019, 10:24 AM

I don't think Lowe was on the ALCS roster for the Ray's.

Dawg2003
10-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Lowe isn't on the post season roster.

I've been a Yankees fan since I was a kid, so I still have one team in this thing. But dammit, I had really grown to like this Braves team. Just a sad way to end it all.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Lowe isn't on the post season roster.

I've been a Yankees fan since I was a kid, so I still have one team in this thing. But dammit, I had really grown to like this Braves team. Just a sad way to end it all.

Yeah this Braves team was fun to watch. Winning games late, aggressive base running, power, pretty good starting pitching, never out of a game and always gave you a comeback and looked like they had fun just playing the game. Crappy end to a good and fun season.

msstate7
10-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Read on a braves' board that mlb may have went back to the old ball for the playoffs. I wish they would go back to the ball that you actually had to hit well to get a hr

Commercecomet24
10-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Read on a braves' board that mlb may have went back to the old ball for the playoffs. I wish they would go back to the ball that you actually had to hit well to get a hr

I'm not a big Manfred. He's screwing with the game to much.

Todd4State
10-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Yeah anyone but the Yankees please!

Says the man with the Mickey Mantle avatar.**

Todd4State
10-10-2019, 12:32 PM

I’ve heard that as well. Not sure why they wouldn’t just keep it the same.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Says the man with the Mickey Mantle avatar.**

Ha! Good one, Todd! I have never liked the yankees but I love baseball players that are transcendent no matter who they play for. The Mick, Jeter, Mariano. The Braves are my favorite team but I love the game so much that those special players are what make the game regardless of team affiliation. Ozzie Smith one of my all time favorites. I could go on and on with this discussion forever lol.

Todd4State
10-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Ha! Good one, Todd! I have never liked the yankees but I love baseball players that are transcendent no matter who they play for. The Mick, Jeter, Mariano. The Braves are my favorite team but I love the game so much that those special players are what make the game regardless of team affiliation. Ozzie Smith one of my all time favorites. I could go on and on with this discussion forever lol.

Babe Ruth is my personal favorite. I like pitchers and guys that hit home runs so... Also hitting more home runs than entire teams is just awesome.

There’s some video of Ozzie bailing my uncle out with his defense a couple of times. He really worked hard to become a good hitter and made it into the HOF.